Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 536696 times)

Offline rockster

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #1470 on: Jul 03, 2010 at 11:59 PM »
what speakers would you recommend to match the 608?  ok ba ang polk?

Offline wharfejay

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1471 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 09:50 AM »
Hi Guys,

I just want to get your reviews regarding the Onkyo TX-SR507. How it performs in terms of movies and stereo listening? By the way I'm more on music listening than movie watching. Also in terms of durability? I heard mabilis daw mag-init ang Onkyo AVRs, true kaya ito?

TIA!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1472 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 10:40 AM »
Hi Guys,

I just want to get your reviews regarding the Onkyo TX-SR507. How it performs in terms of movies and stereo listening? By the way I'm more on music listening than movie watching. Also in terms of durability? I heard mabilis daw mag-init ang Onkyo AVRs, true kaya ito?

TIA!

onkyo user here. but if you are realy into music more, you may want to look at harman kardons and denons.

onkyo generally sounds better for movies imho. for music it is a little bit bright for my taste. i am using a 806 btw. as for heat, yup, onkyos do get hot, but i just buy a usb laptop blower to help dissipate heat, and it works for me.

Offline wharfejay

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1473 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 12:29 PM »
onkyo user here. but if you are realy into music more, you may want to look at harman kardons and denons.

onkyo generally sounds better for movies imho. for music it is a little bit bright for my taste. i am using a 806 btw. as for heat, yup, onkyos do get hot, but i just buy a usb laptop blower to help dissipate heat, and it works for me.

Thanks Sir Iiinas. Ask ko lng po if anong model ng Onkyo ang gamit nyo? I'm considering the TXSR507 coz it's cheaper to other models.

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #1474 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 12:31 PM »
Any user of Onkyo 606 here? please help me to enable OSD thru HDMI.

thanks in advance :)
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1475 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 12:37 PM »
Thanks Sir Iiinas. Ask ko lng po if anong model ng Onkyo ang gamit nyo? I'm considering the TXSR507 coz it's cheaper to other models.

am using an onkyo 806.  :D

Offline wharfejay

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1476 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 01:30 PM »
am using an onkyo 806.  :D

asteeeg!

Offline ravel

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1477 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 02:03 PM »
Any user of Onkyo 606 here? please help me to enable OSD thru HDMI.

thanks in advance :)

Sir, press setup (on your receiver), use the up/down buttons to get to "Input/Output Assign" and press Enter. Use up/down buttons again to go to "HDMI monitor", once you're there press Left/Right button and select Yes.  You should have OSD on your TV (connected via HDMI to your receiver).

Offline wengkapre

• DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
« Reply #1478 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 02:46 PM »
Sir, press setup (on your receiver), use the up/down buttons to get to "Input/Output Assign" and press Enter. Use up/down buttons again to go to "HDMI monitor", once you're there press Left/Right button and select Yes.  You should have OSD on your TV (connected via HDMI to your receiver).

Thanks Sir, matry nga mamaya pag-uwi ko...thanks :D
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2010 at 02:47 PM by wengkapre »

Offline ravel

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1479 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 03:26 PM »
Bro, I thought it was the same for all the onkyo models, apparently it isn't.  Looks like that direction I gave won't work. Sorry :(

Offline wengkapre

• DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
« Reply #1480 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 03:38 PM »
Bro, I thought it was the same for all the onkyo models, apparently it isn't.  Looks like that direction I gave won't work. Sorry :(

:'(

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1481 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 04:39 PM »
Hi Guys,

TIA!

entry level Onkyos are not know for strenght in music listening, of the Onkyos I heard, the best sounding in the entry level is Onkyo604, the anniversarry series, which i use to own and the 605.

some mid level units does not sound great too in music or two channel audio listening, but it really depends on your taste as what sound bad to one may sound good to another. The best sounding i heard in both  music and movie is Denon 1910, in fact even the 1610 and yamaha 863.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline wharfejay

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1482 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 05:24 PM »
entry level Onkyos are not know for strenght in music listening, of the Onkyos I heard, the best sounding in the entry level is Onkyo604, the anniversarry series, which i use to own and the 605.

some mid level units does not sound great too in music or two channel audio listening, but it really depends on your taste as what sound bad to one may sound good to another. The best sounding i heard in both  music and movie is Denon 1910, in fact even the 1610 and yamaha 863.

Thanks to your inputs Sir Onkyo606! Actually I'm also considering the Denon 1610. Ask ko lng po how it performs? Detailed ba ang sound? Ang hindrance ko lng dito is 75watts lng sya, I'm planning pa naman to get the Polk TSI 300. I'm not sure that this amp might not give enough power. First time ko kc mg-build ng HT.

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1483 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 10:21 PM »
^^^^ that is more than enough power to drive the tsi300 ...... i have driven that particular speaker model before using yamaha 65Watts per channel .....

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1484 on: Jul 06, 2010 at 12:21 AM »
Thanks to your inputs Sir Onkyo606! Actually I'm also considering the Denon 1610. Ask ko lng po how it performs? Detailed ba ang sound? Ang hindrance ko lng dito is 75watts lng sya, I'm planning pa naman to get the Polk TSI 300. I'm not sure that this amp might not give enough power. First time ko kc mg-build ng HT.
Add a little bit more on the price of Denon 1610 and you get HarmanKardon160. Better sounding in terms of music and comparable with Denon 1910 for HT. Bias ako kasi ito yung napili ko na AVR versus Denon1910 and Onkyo607 when I was looking for one. ;D
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline bosyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Namaste
  • Liked:
« Reply #1485 on: Jul 06, 2010 at 08:22 AM »
Malapit na ma dead kaya ang luma kung amp?

Ano kaya ang problema nang receiver ko ht-r490 medyo kapareho nang 494 wala lang headphone out.

minsan pawala wala ang sound pag ang gamit ko na inputs ay digital,analog sources

except multi channel inputs lang ang gumagana

medyo matagal na ito 2001 pa ata ngayun may topak na.

dsp/preamp/bad cap/etc... kaya problem sa dsp board ?
kahit radio wala :(
kailangan mo pang e off then turn on uli pero after a couple of minutes balik uli
pawawala na  naman sounds. :(

kaya ang gamit ko na input multi channel lang.. :(

Dai-ichi
Crown
Micro
Starvox
Booster (mj2955)
ALC 888
Phelps Dodge
Aiwa Cassette

Offline wharfejay

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1486 on: Jul 06, 2010 at 09:31 AM »
Thanks to your inputs Sir Ment and Gunslinger! I'll take note of that. I'll try to audition these AVRs to personally hear the differences.

Offline peechey

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1487 on: Jul 06, 2010 at 10:49 AM »
I'm having second thoughts of including the Onkyo 508 in my options.  I've read in another forum that some people are having handshaking issues with this model, most noticeably with the PS3.

Anyone else experienced this?

Offline wharfejay

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1488 on: Jul 06, 2010 at 05:48 PM »
Add a little bit more on the price of Denon 1610 and you get HarmanKardon160. Better sounding in terms of music and comparable with Denon 1910 for HT. Bias ako kasi ito yung napili ko na AVR versus Denon1910 and Onkyo607 when I was looking for one. ;D

Sir Gunslinger ask ko lang what speakers you partnered with HK 160?

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1489 on: Jul 07, 2010 at 02:19 AM »
I'm using A-audio speakers. Used to be a little bright and forward paired with Yamaha pero it matched well with the HK.
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline larokulit

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1490 on: Jul 07, 2010 at 08:24 AM »
Malapit na ma dead kaya ang luma kung amp?

Ano kaya ang problema nang receiver ko ht-r490 medyo kapareho nang 494 wala lang headphone out.

minsan pawala wala ang sound pag ang gamit ko na inputs ay digital,analog sources

except multi channel inputs lang ang gumagana

medyo matagal na ito 2001 pa ata ngayun may topak na.

dsp/preamp/bad cap/etc... kaya problem sa dsp board ?
kahit radio wala :(
kailangan mo pang e off then turn on uli pero after a couple of minutes balik uli
pawawala na  naman sounds. :(

kaya ang gamit ko na input multi channel lang.. :(

bro ganyan na ganyan din yung sony str-de845 ko na nabili nung 2001 -- may tama ang digital board kaya 5.1 input na lang ang gumagana.

sowie sa OT.
DIY fan...

Offline bosyo

• Collector
  • Namaste
  • Liked:
« Reply #1491 on: Jul 07, 2010 at 11:03 AM »
bro ganyan na ganyan din yung sony str-de845 ko na nabili nung 2001 -- may tama ang digital board kaya 5.1 input na lang ang gumagana.

kala ko sa onkyo lang ang may problem na ganito. kahit sony pala.
pero ngayun ok na naman. almost 7 hrs na ako nakikinig, ang pahinga kasi nito pag tulog na ako hahahaha.

Dai-ichi
Crown
Micro
Starvox
Booster (mj2955)
ALC 888
Phelps Dodge
Aiwa Cassette

Offline Beefy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1492 on: Jul 07, 2010 at 07:28 PM »
Was interested in getting an onkyo 608 until I read the latest issue of home theater magazine Aug 2010.

They've tested the 608 with:

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads
    0.1% distortion at 82.3 watts
       1% distortion at 84.7 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads
    0.1% distortion at 30.9 watts
       1% distortion at 40.1 watts

I just noticed that onkyo rates their avrs at two channels. This avr still got a top pick award and scored high but the wattage bothers me when running 7 channels
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2010 at 07:37 PM by Beefy »

Offline nusmag

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1493 on: Jul 13, 2010 at 09:40 AM »
My first post in this forum. I just upgraded my old Sony 5.1 HTIB (circa Y2k) to my new set up:

Onkyo 608
PSB Alpha B1 Front
PSB Alpha C1 Center
PSB 5i Sub
Jamo A102 Surround
Era Design 3 Front High

Very happy with my 608 together with the speaker set up that I got.  I've read reviews about the heat build up issues with Onkyo but this was suppose to have been resolved with this model.  First time to own an Onkyo so I wouldn't have a point of comparison.  However my AVR is in a well ventilated rack and just gets warm to touch even after having it on for practically the whole day.

I recycled my old Sony surround stands and modified it to fit the Jamo A102s which was meant to be wall mounted.  All it took was a couple of nuts and bolts and new holes drilled in the mount.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2010 at 04:30 PM by nusmag »
Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum

Offline Blu-devil

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Bible, The Worlds Most Famous Work of Fiction
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1494 on: Jul 13, 2010 at 08:00 PM »
Just ordered the Onkyo HT-RC180 from a friend on this forum, thank you Philip. Can't wait to get my hands on this beast. Need to find a couple of speakers to turn my setup into 9.1 now. Thanks for your advice onkyo606, it was invaluable and much appreciated.
Pity that the 608 has such low values when 7.1. I'm pretty certain that the 605 retains very high wattage values, even when driving 7 speakers.
Denon AVR-4400H: Denon PMA520AE: DMP-UB400: Epson EH-TW9400: Jamo 7.1.4 Atmos Speakers: 135” screen

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1495 on: Jul 13, 2010 at 10:15 PM »
Just ordered the Onkyo HT-RC180 from a friend on this forum, thank you Philip. Can't wait to get my hands on this beast. Need to find a couple of speakers to turn my setup into 9.1 now. Thanks for your advice onkyo606, it was invaluable and much appreciated.
Pity that the 608 has such low values when 7.1. I'm pretty certain that the 605 retains very high wattage values, even when driving 7 speakers.

congrats in advance sir steve. you wouldnt go wrong with the HTRC180, I have been enjoying this for about 6 months now. it sounds really good with the MA speakers, try to enjoy the 5.1 set up for like two weeks then get the front wide that way you get to appreciate more the expansive sound with the front wide.

Offline Levijones

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1496 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 01:37 PM »
My first post in this forum. I just upgraded my old Sony 5.1 HTIB (circa Y2k) to my new set up:

Onkyo 608
PSB Alpha B1 Front
PSB Alpha C1 Center
PSB 5i Sub
Jamo A102 Surround
Era Design 3 Front High

Very happy with my 608 together with the speaker set up that I got.  I've read reviews about the heat build up issues with Onkyo but this was suppose to have been resolved with this model.  First time to own an Onkyo so I wouldn't have a point of comparison.  However my AVR is in a well ventilated rack and just gets warm to touch even after having it on for practically the whole day.

I recycled my old Sony surround stands and modified it to fit the Jamo A102s which was meant to be wall mounted.  All it took was a couple of nuts and bolts and new holes drilled in the mount.

Great setup and what an upgrade! The difference in SQ must be huge. Congratulations and welcome to PDVD  :D
LG 42LS5700
Denon 1610
A-Audio 5.1 speakers
PS3 Slim 320GB
Xbox 360 20GB+4GB

Offline Blu-devil

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Bible, The Worlds Most Famous Work of Fiction
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1497 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 08:00 PM »
congrats in advance sir steve. you wouldnt go wrong with the HTRC180, I have been enjoying this for about 6 months now. it sounds really good with the MA speakers, try to enjoy the 5.1 set up for like two weeks then get the front wide that way you get to appreciate more the expansive sound with the front wide.

What would you recommend, Front Wides or Front Height? I love the idea of the VOG (Voice Of God) channel. Movies such as Black Hawk Down and Fight Club would sound awesome using it.
Denon AVR-4400H: Denon PMA520AE: DMP-UB400: Epson EH-TW9400: Jamo 7.1.4 Atmos Speakers: 135” screen

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1498 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 09:07 PM »
What would you recommend, Front Wides or Front Height? I love the idea of the VOG (Voice Of God) channel. Movies such as Black Hawk Down and Fight Club would sound awesome using it.

front wide have been the more expansive. it gives you the feeling of having a wider listening area and makes you feel you are virtually inside the scene. even in the onkyo 807 discussions in avsforums, most if not all owners of HTRC180 and NR807 owners love the front wide set up.strongly recommended is to use speakers of the same series or the same family

Offline nusmag

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1499 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 11:18 AM »
Quote from: Levijones
Great setup and what an upgrade! The difference in SQ must be huge. Congratulations and welcome to PDVD  :D /quote

Thanks for the warm welcome.  Yes, the SQ difference is light years compared to my old system.  I felt like a kid during X'mas when I had the stack of boxes of the gear I got lying around the room waiting  to be set up.  I got a lot of flak from the wife aka commander in chief when she walked in and saw all of these.  

So I just kept my cool and let her just blab away knowing well that I still had an ace up my sleeve.  When everything had been set up and calibrated (took half a day),  I had her sit at the sweet spot (she was still blabbing away) and fired up the blue ray player with her favorite scene in her current favorite disk - MJ's "This is It."  The expansion of her eyes coupled with the dropping of her jaw on cue when the audio blasted through my system was just priceless!!! :)
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010 at 11:23 AM by nusmag »
Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum