Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 539632 times)

Offline tonio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #1650 on: Nov 02, 2010 at 09:20 PM »
the package just arrived sa forwarder.... assessed me $90 for seafreight :( muhkang malaki yung volume ng box....

well at least its not to far off.... i hope to see my new toy in time for Christmas ;D

got my 508 for $240....mukhang mauuna yung sa akin :D...good luck to both of us ;D

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1651 on: Nov 02, 2010 at 10:47 PM »
hahaha good luck sir tonio ....

yung $240 is yung unit's price right? magkano cost ng padala ninyo dito sa Pilipinas?

Offline kolokoys

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • http://lumangmaynila.multiply.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1652 on: Nov 02, 2010 at 11:36 PM »
sirs, 220v na po ba ang units?if so, ill order also the 608 online.. :D

Offline tonio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1653 on: Nov 03, 2010 at 10:17 PM »
hahaha good luck sir tonio ....

yung $240 is yung unit's price right? magkano cost ng padala ninyo dito sa Pilipinas?

yep...$240 unit price...i believe $65 binayaran ng sister ko for the freight... :)

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1654 on: Nov 04, 2010 at 04:34 AM »
nice you got it cheaper :)

good luck sa atin heehe

sirs, 220v na po ba ang units?if so, ill order also the 608 online.. :D

Sir 110V po kasi these are USA units....

Offline bhudz

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1655 on: Nov 04, 2010 at 11:32 AM »
@ment

Magkano po kaya ang tax nitong 508 ?

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1656 on: Nov 05, 2010 at 05:08 PM »
This is not a rant.  Just wanted to know if anybody else had a similar problem.

Got a 608 about more than a month ago.  Its video output was connected to a splitter which is connected to a panny plasma and my pj.  Upon initial installation, i was able to see the menus on the tv/pj.  When I got home the same day but after the installers have already left, I couldn't get video from my sky cable digibox to display.  I also couldn't get the pj/tv to display the menu.  I initially thought this was a handshake issue between the splitter and the AVR.  Since the display worked fine with HDMI sources, I just plugged in my digibox to the input of my media player/dvr and was pretty happy watching videos and movies for a couple of weeks.  Was too lazy to try a direct connection since the cables were somewhat neatly tied up already.

About 2 weeks ago, I tried installing my xde 500.  Initially, while trying to watch Master and Commander, there was sound during the introduction to the menu screen but upon playing the movie sound died.  I left it to play while I was dressing up.  I suddenly heard the loud sounds of one of the battle scenes.  I went down to lower the volume and was able to watch and finish a different dvd after.  The next night, we tried watching a different DVD.  A couple of minutes into the movie, we heard static which was getting louder.  I paused the movie and when I tried playing it again... no more sound.  I still thought it was a problem with the DVD player so I shut it down and changed it with my Pioneer.  When I played the pio, there was sound already.  But since my wife got sleepy from waiting for me fix it, we didn't watch any further.  I thought it was really just the DVD player until the next night, the same thing happened.  The store where i bought it from told me to try to test tone.  I had to wait for it to happen again to try it, but true enough, no sound even during test tone and from all other sources.  Plus, my xde works fine with my Denon. 

Brought it in to the store that sold me the unit who brought the unit to Toyama.  A week after, they told me that it had something to do with the HDMI board or DSP board.  (They mentioned both, don't know if they were connected or the same.)  In any case, I find out that it might take up to 2 months to get the parts.  Has anything similar happened to anybody else here?  Was I really that "lucky" to get a lemon?

They advised me that it might have been caused by unplugging and plugging in of HDMI cables while the Unit was on.  While I don't really do it that much, there was a problem with the unit since the video output gets dislodged very easily so I often times have to tighten the connections.  I wonder how you can test if the connections are tight enough if they're not plugged in. 

Anyway, hope they can sort it out soon.  More or less a month of use tapos ganon agad.  Di ko tuloy alam if its a good thing that I got it locally.  On one hand, warranty.  On the other hand, if I bought it from abroad, I probably would have gotten a good unit at a cheaper price.  ???

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1657 on: Nov 05, 2010 at 06:16 PM »
This is not a rant.  Just wanted to know if anybody else had a similar problem.

Got a 608 about more than a month ago.  Its video output was connected to a splitter which is connected to a panny plasma and my pj.  Upon initial installation, i was able to see the menus on the tv/pj.  When I got home the same day but after the installers have already left, I couldn't get video from my sky cable digibox to display.  I also couldn't get the pj/tv to display the menu.  I initially thought this was a handshake issue between the splitter and the AVR.  Since the display worked fine with HDMI sources, I just plugged in my digibox to the input of my media player/dvr and was pretty happy watching videos and movies for a couple of weeks.  Was too lazy to try a direct connection since the cables were somewhat neatly tied up already.

About 2 weeks ago, I tried installing my xde 500.  Initially, while trying to watch Master and Commander, there was sound during the introduction to the menu screen but upon playing the movie sound died.  I left it to play while I was dressing up.  I suddenly heard the loud sounds of one of the battle scenes.  I went down to lower the volume and was able to watch and finish a different dvd after.  The next night, we tried watching a different DVD.  A couple of minutes into the movie, we heard static which was getting louder.  I paused the movie and when I tried playing it again... no more sound.  I still thought it was a problem with the DVD player so I shut it down and changed it with my Pioneer.  When I played the pio, there was sound already.  But since my wife got sleepy from waiting for me fix it, we didn't watch any further.  I thought it was really just the DVD player until the next night, the same thing happened.  The store where i bought it from told me to try to test tone.  I had to wait for it to happen again to try it, but true enough, no sound even during test tone and from all other sources.  Plus, my xde works fine with my Denon. 

Brought it in to the store that sold me the unit who brought the unit to Toyama.  A week after, they told me that it had something to do with the HDMI board or DSP board.  (They mentioned both, don't know if they were connected or the same.)  In any case, I find out that it might take up to 2 months to get the parts.  Has anything similar happened to anybody else here?  Was I really that "lucky" to get a lemon?

They advised me that it might have been caused by unplugging and plugging in of HDMI cables while the Unit was on.  While I don't really do it that much, there was a problem with the unit since the video output gets dislodged very easily so I often times have to tighten the connections.  I wonder how you can test if the connections are tight enough if they're not plugged in. 

Anyway, hope they can sort it out soon.  More or less a month of use tapos ganon agad.  Di ko tuloy alam if its a good thing that I got it locally.  On one hand, warranty.  On the other hand, if I bought it from abroad, I probably would have gotten a good unit at a cheaper price.  ???

Is this happenning while using the NMT only? Have you tried using other NMT?
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1658 on: Nov 05, 2010 at 06:47 PM »
My friend had some issue with his 508 locally purchased.... Ganun din nangyari ata nawala sound bigla dunno why....

Check mo forum nalang sa ibang bansa .... It has something to do ata with power... Is your unit connected sa AVR?

If only you still have the unit... Try mo unplug yung 608 unit muna ata .... Yun ang best recollection ko sa suggestion

Naku mas kamote pag nangyari sa akin yun .... No local warranty :( Seems these models are sensitive to power quality yata ??

oh firmware upgrading might have helped as well .... pero since toyama detected it as a hardware issue eh lucky lotto winner ka lang siguro :(

Hey!!! they should replace it outright! pwedeng kasuhan sa DTI yan!
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2010 at 06:03 AM by ment »

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1659 on: Nov 07, 2010 at 01:27 AM »
Is this happenning while using the NMT only? Have you tried using other NMT?

No.  It first happened while using my xde 500 then the same thing with my pio 610.  Same thing happened when I switched sources to my NMT.  So amp talaga problema.

My friend had some issue with his 508 locally purchased.... Ganun din nangyari ata nawala sound bigla dunno why....

Check mo forum nalang sa ibang bansa .... It has something to do ata with power... Is your unit connected sa AVR?

If only you still have the unit... Try mo unplug yung 608 unit muna ata .... Yun ang best recollection ko sa suggestion

Naku mas kamote pag nangyari sa akin yun .... No local warranty :( Seems these models are sensitive to power quality yata ??

oh firmware upgrading might have helped as well .... pero since toyama detected it as a hardware issue eh lucky lotto winner ka lang siguro :(

Hey!!! they should replace it outright! pwedeng kasuhan sa DTI yan!

Unit wasn't connected to the power outlet of the AVR.

As for outright replacement... before I took it in to Toyama, the dealer already informed me na out of stock na ata 608 until December pa raw. 

Medyo swerte pa sila that medyo good mood pa ako about this.  When they were telling me about not unplugging and plugging in the hdmi cables while the unit was on, I thought it was a prelude to not honoring the warranty.  In any case... hassle lang.  I have a separate setup in my bedroom but the problem is I can't use my PJ unless I decide to transfer my 1709 to my HT setup. 

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1660 on: Nov 07, 2010 at 06:06 AM »

my point is what is the use of paying the big premium for the warranty? kasi nga diba we want peace of mind? eh making you wait for a month or two, is that giving peace of mind??

unfortunately for us this is not the USA. if it were, yari sila ... bad practice yan ginagawa nila. Still i suggest talk to someone sa DTI and know your rights. exercise them.

back to topic .... ah baka yun lag ang problem kaya? baka need lang AVR

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1661 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 10:06 AM »
Mga Sirs,

I'm comparing 608 and 708 online, I noticed the following differences:

708 with push-pull design amplifier and Audyssey DSX while 608 doesn't have these.

My question is, will the absence of these feature significantly affect SQ? Locally, the price difference is 14K medyo malaki. Please mga sirs, I need your inputs.

For those who own the 608, your impressions will be highly appreciated

Salamat po.  :)
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1662 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 11:06 AM »
Mga Sirs,

I'm comparing 608 and 708 online, I noticed the following differences:

708 with push-pull design amplifier and Audyssey DSX while 608 doesn't have these.

My question is, will the absence of these feature significantly affect SQ? Locally, the price difference is 14K medyo malaki. Please mga sirs, I need your inputs.

For those who own the 608, your impressions will be highly appreciated

Salamat po.  :)

Audyssey DSX creates a more expansive soundstage and creates an impression of a bigger listening room when engaged. Audyssey DSX allows you to add Front Height and Front Wide speaker but you can only activate one at a time. Definitely better listening pleasure with Audyssey DSX but more expensive as you need to buy at least another pair of front speaker of the same series as the main front speaker. Unless you have room wide enough, Audyssey DSX might not be that significant because there is a speacified placement lay out.

Offline jao143

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1663 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 11:10 AM »
Yun nga sir Onkyo ang dilemma ko eh, whether to get 708 abroad for 34k or buy the 608 locally at 31k. Di pa po sumasagot si sir Dom eh, pa quote sana ako sa kanya ng 608 at 708, baka mas may bawas pa compared sa iba.

How about push-pull design sir? malaki ba epekto nito sa SQ?

Salamat sir
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1664 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 11:56 AM »
Yun nga sir Onkyo ang dilemma ko eh, whether to get 708 abroad for 34k or buy the 608 locally at 31k. Di pa po sumasagot si sir Dom eh, pa quote sana ako sa kanya ng 608 at 708, baka mas may bawas pa compared sa iba.

How about push-pull design sir? malaki ba epekto nito sa SQ?

Salamat sir

i think you can get it at a better price kay dom, i can give you his number.

about push pull, di na po ako pamilyar dun.

sent you PM

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1665 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 12:04 PM »
push pull ....kung tama intindi ko eto ba yung damping factor???

maganda kung mataas damping factor ng amp .... mas maganda control niya sa speaker :) kungbaga when it wants to stop the speaker vibrating, it do so way faster than amps with lower damping factor. thus a more accurate sound is produced :)

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1666 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 12:05 PM »
i think you can get it at a better price kay dom, i can give you his number.

about push pull, di na po ako pamilyar dun.

sent you PM

pag si dom kausap mo hindi lang AVR maiuuwi mo ;D

Offline jao143

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1667 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 12:07 PM »

naku po inay... nakakakaba naman ito.

Sir Onkyo, got your pm, thanks.
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1668 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 12:11 PM »
naku po inay... nakakakaba naman ito.

Sir Onkyo, got your pm, thanks.

onkyo AVR with panasonic bd player and new sets of speakers when you talk to Dom not bad and a med8ter hehehehehe

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1669 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 07:12 AM »

OT:
Brader Pip, si Dom ba may-ari ng AVX store sa Harrison? Duon kami bumili ng pinsan ko ng 1st LCDTV nya 2 years ago. Very competitive ang price at negotiable pa.  ;D

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1670 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 08:44 AM »
OT:
Brader Pip, si Dom ba may-ari ng AVX store sa Harrison? Duon kami bumili ng pinsan ko ng 1st LCDTV nya 2 years ago. Very competitive ang price at negotiable pa.  ;D

sa uncle nya. ;)

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1671 on: Nov 11, 2010 at 07:54 AM »
quick question.

via HDMI and video out only
htpc > onkyo > tv

may option ba na kahit naka-off ang receiver, may video feed parin sa tv?  :)
may mga tv series kasi na mas preferred ko na naka-off yung receiver (to save electricity narin) :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline jao143

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1672 on: Nov 11, 2010 at 08:03 AM »
Sir alam ko dapat naka-standby yung receiver mo para may hdmi-passthrough (depende sa avr)
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2010 at 08:04 AM by jao143 »
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1673 on: Nov 11, 2010 at 08:27 AM »
Sir alam ko dapat naka-standby yung receiver mo para may hdmi-passthrough (depende sa avr)
thanks jao!  :D
sa 608 mo ba bro ganun?  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline jao143

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1674 on: Nov 11, 2010 at 08:32 AM »
Sa sabado ko pa sir makukuha eh... :)
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1675 on: Nov 11, 2010 at 08:51 AM »
Sa sabado ko pa sir makukuha eh... :)
update kita later bro, ako nalang maginform sayo  ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline volrathj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1676 on: Nov 12, 2010 at 10:16 PM »
Mga master Ilan ang volume nyo sa Onkyo receiver kapag nanonood kayo ng movie yung sa akin kasi is 49. Dati kasi natatakot ako na ilakas pero yun pala ang ample enough mas rinig na din yun dialogue sa center speakers  ;D

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1677 on: Nov 13, 2010 at 01:03 AM »
Mga master Ilan ang volume nyo sa Onkyo receiver kapag nanonood kayo ng movie yung sa akin kasi is 49. Dati kasi natatakot ako na ilakas pero yun pala ang ample enough mas rinig na din yun dialogue sa center speakers  ;D

my listening level is at 65

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1678 on: Nov 13, 2010 at 02:35 AM »
update kita later bro, ako nalang maginform sayo  ;D
passthru hdmi does not work.  ill try to figure it out later  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline vynzkyrby

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1679 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 12:36 PM »
mga sirs,

noob question lang po, pwede ko po ba gamitin yung speaker ng zone 2 ng 608 when watching t.v.

tia.