Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 536780 times)

Offline jcsantamarina

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #2130 on: May 02, 2011 at 09:35 PM »
There must be something wrong with the way you run the auto set-up. I also get undesirable values like distance, trim levels, speaker size pero pinagtiyagaan ko binasa mga tips from this forum at sa labas. I'm now experiencing the "magic" of Audyssey auto set-up. Para sa akin, Anlayo ng difference ng auto calibrated kesa sa manual tweaking.

Okidoks. Thanks for the feedback!
I haven't changed much of my methods kasi. I just tried that thing with the sub where I lower the volume if I get a very low trim set. I turned it to 9o'clock and then I was able to get a higher trim for the subs, which turned out to be -7.
However, the other channels were still the same at -12db which is the lowest trim level for them.
Distance measurements are pretty accurate though.
I read through the Audyssey guide and I couldn't find anything yet on how to improve my auto-setup for the other channels.

Am I doing it wrong by putting the setup mic on top of the backrest of my couch and move it forward to my listening position? Because that's the approximate ear level for me.
I use a 509 btw and the EQ setup is for 3 positions only, so I basically use the center of the couch, the far left and the far right.

*Clueless noob mode*

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2131 on: May 04, 2011 at 07:09 AM »
Ok, so I re-did things again, this time with a tripod naman as per advise of the Audyssey setup guide.

I did calibration by putting the mic on a tripod on the couch for center (Position 1), then I moved to the right by 1meter (Position 2), with the tripod on the floor, but maintaining height of Pos 1. Then I moved the tripod to the left of Pos 1 by 1 meter as well.
My room dimensions are about 12 ft x 8ft with a low ceiling of 7ft.

My Speaker Cal based on Audyssey 2EQ are as follows:
Front: -12
Surround: -12
Center: -11
Sub: -9
Speaker Distance Measurements are pretty accurate.
All Speakers are set to Small and my Crossover is set at 100Hz.

The result of my A2EQ calibration is good for music, background movie sounds and games, however, I feel like my center speaker isn't being driven properly because when I turn up it's volume via Level Cal, the sound quality is still very sharp and tiring to listen to in the mid area, but my bass and highs are really good.

- JC *still the clueless noob*

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 806
« Reply #2132 on: May 04, 2011 at 07:28 AM »
Ok, so I re-did things again, this time with a tripod naman as per advise of the Audyssey setup guide.

I did calibration by putting the mic on a tripod on the couch for center (Position 1), then I moved to the right by 1meter (Position 2), with the tripod on the floor, but maintaining height of Pos 1. Then I moved the tripod to the left of Pos 1 by 1 meter as well.
My room dimensions are about 12 ft x 8ft with a low ceiling of 7ft.

My Speaker Cal based on Audyssey 2EQ are as follows:
Front: -12
Surround: -12
Center: -11
Sub: -9
Speaker Distance Measurements are pretty accurate.
All Speakers are set to Small and my Crossover is set at 100Hz.

The result of my A2EQ calibration is good for music, background movie sounds and games, however, I feel like my center speaker isn't being driven properly because when I turn up it's volume via Level Cal, the sound quality is still very sharp and tiring to listen to in the mid area, but my bass and highs are really good.

- JC *still the clueless noob*

Hhhhmm I've never encountered negative settings like those. My fronts are normally at 0 then -5 to 6 for center and then -2 for my rears. Regarding sound quality have you tried turning on Dynamic Volume?
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2133 on: May 04, 2011 at 07:39 AM »
Hhhhmm I've never encountered negative settings like those. My fronts are normally at 0 then -5 to 6 for center and then -2 for my rears. Regarding sound quality have you tried turning on Dynamic Volume?

Oo nga e.. I've been lurking in the Ask Audyssey website, and the guy there pointed out that the mic should be at least 18" away from the wall. My couch is backed up to the wall. And I placed the mic at the center position which is less than 18" from the wall..
Sayang, I'm out of the house right now.. I hope that could help.
Regarding Dynamic Volume, yes, I tried it also. It works like a compressor right? Light setting sounds good, but sometimes I still need to increase the volume via level cal for the dialogue. Heavy setting is very compressed sound already for me.

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2134 on: May 04, 2011 at 08:19 AM »
Oo nga e.. I've been lurking in the Ask Audyssey website, and the guy there pointed out that the mic should be at least 18" away from the wall. My couch is backed up to the wall. And I placed the mic at the center position which is less than 18" from the wall..
Sayang, I'm out of the house right now.. I hope that could help.
Regarding Dynamic Volume, yes, I tried it also. It works like a compressor right? Light setting sounds good, but sometimes I still need to increase the volume via level cal for the dialogue. Heavy setting is very compressed sound already for me.

Sir, what is actual distance between your couch and your center speaker? the negative setting might be due to the proximity of your calib mic when placed on your sofa and your center speaker. Second, is your center speaker in between shelves of an audio rack or on top of a glass AV rack or on a dedicated speaker stand?  baka kase nakakainterfere sa audyssey measurement ang mga ito, IMHO. :)
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2135 on: May 06, 2011 at 11:37 AM »
Sir, what is actual distance between your couch and your center speaker? the negative setting might be due to the proximity of your calib mic when placed on your sofa and your center speaker. Second, is your center speaker in between shelves of an audio rack or on top of a glass AV rack or on a dedicated speaker stand?  baka kase nakakainterfere sa audyssey measurement ang mga ito, IMHO. :)

Sir jao143.,

The distance between the center speaker and my seat is between 5-6 feet only.
The speaker is on top of a low TV cabinet. which is almost 2feet high.

Thanks for the assist!

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2136 on: May 06, 2011 at 11:46 AM »

Sir jao143.,

Thanks for the assist!

My guess: that could be the reason why you are registering a negative DB in your audyssey measurement. I think it is too near, well, I could be wrong...
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2137 on: May 06, 2011 at 11:58 AM »
Yup.
Even the Audyssey guy said this:
"This looks like a pretty normal setup. The levels are set so that you can listen at reference with the volume control at 0 dB. It's best to avoid -12 dB trims because it could indicate that the AVR has run out of range. But, there is not much you can do about that unless you find another way to attenuate the speaker levels."

After doing some more research also, I realized that since my couch is backed up against a concrete wall, the setup mic may be also picking up additional reflecting sounds.
So, I'm thinking of putting up thick curtains behind my couch to dampen any sound that would bounce back from the wall.
The ceiling is pretty soft since it's gypsum board material lang so I don't thing it adds that much compared to the concrete wall.

Offline Blackstar

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • DVD Guru
  • Generals gathered in their masses...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1545
« Reply #2138 on: May 07, 2011 at 10:51 AM »
mga braders at masters, patulong naman. i have an onkyo 606 and can't seem to have my hdmi input device show on my hdtv that is connected to the hdmi out of the receiver. pag sini-setup ko naman yung receiver, lumalabas yung GUI sa hdtv screen pero when i try the hdmi input (htpc), nagpi-flicker once yung hdtv as if na-recognize nya then mawawala then it would say "no signal". can anyone help pls. i'm getting frustrated already... :(
Music made me who I am today.

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #2139 on: May 07, 2011 at 11:19 AM »
mga braders at masters, patulong naman. i have an onkyo 606 and can't seem to have my hdmi input device show on my hdtv that is connected to the hdmi out of the receiver. pag sini-setup ko naman yung receiver, lumalabas yung GUI sa hdtv screen pero when i try the hdmi input (htpc), nagpi-flicker once yung hdtv as if na-recognize nya then mawawala then it would say "no signal". can anyone help pls. i'm getting frustrated already... :(

handshake issues? have you tried searching on the net for possible problems with your video card when connected to an AVR?
if you may, indicate the vid card you're using and its resolution output.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011 at 11:26 AM by HEXAGRAM »

Offline Blackstar

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2140 on: May 07, 2011 at 12:45 PM »
handshake issues? have you tried searching on the net for possible problems with your video card when connected to an AVR?
if you may, indicate the vid card you're using and its resolution output.

i'm using an igp videocard sir. it's an ati 4200 which can output 1080p resolution. my hdtv also supports the same resolution. haven't tried searching the net yet for answers but i will later on. just thought i can get a  quick fix to this annoying issue. :(

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #2141 on: May 07, 2011 at 01:14 PM »
i'm using an igp videocard sir. it's an ati 4200 which can output 1080p resolution. my hdtv also supports the same resolution. haven't tried searching the net yet for answers but i will later on. just thought i can get a  quick fix to this annoying issue. :(

answer might be simple but let me try to help you pinpoint the problem nalang.
1. may video ba kapag htpc direct to tv? - we can rule out issue with AVR if it still does not work.
2. have you downloaded the latest ati catalyst driver? - some web searches reveal issues with linux and your vid card, if you are using linux.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011 at 01:15 PM by HEXAGRAM »

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #2142 on: May 08, 2011 at 05:40 PM »

I think problema talaga sa onkyo yan. Try connecting to other HDMI inputs on your Onkyo, and see if it has any difference. When I connect my pc on my onkyo thru PC HDMI, i get on/off connection with audio. When I try it on BD HDMI, it has continuous connection but having trouble with audio.
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2143 on: May 08, 2011 at 09:09 PM »

Sir jao143.,

Thanks for the assist!

Hey guys!

Update Lang uli!

But before this, thanks uli sa lahat Ng mga PDVD Big Bros!
Really REALLY Appreciate it. (",)

After all the advise (Thanks Sir Courage, Sir Conan, Sir jao143 and Sir Onkyo606),  and the research combined, I have achieved better sound!
<Yahoo!>

Settings:
Speakers = All Small and 80Hz Crossover
New Addition:
Auralex MoPads!
- Got rid of most of the tiring and harsh Mid tones that were there at those settings.
- I can hear more detail. Whispers are heavy-clear and dialogue is felt and heard.
Thanks Mike C! Usap tayo uli soon para I can visit Grace-land!
I put a pair on each of my A3's and two pairs on my A6.
Most of the harsh midtones came from the direct contact of the center speaker on the wooden surface of my Entertainment Center.

Now I can really appreciate my HT setup and Onkyo 509 Amp. (",)

Muchos Gracias Amigos!

Next project:
Heavy drapes behind my couch and bass trap (",)

Offline Blackstar

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2144 on: May 11, 2011 at 02:29 AM »
answer might be simple but let me try to help you pinpoint the problem nalang.
1. may video ba kapag htpc direct to tv? - we can rule out issue with AVR if it still does not work.
2. have you downloaded the latest ati catalyst driver? - some web searches reveal issues with linux and your vid card, if you are using linux.

I think problema talaga sa onkyo yan. Try connecting to other HDMI inputs on your Onkyo, and see if it has any difference. When I connect my pc on my onkyo thru PC HDMI, i get on/off connection with audio. When I try it on BD HDMI, it has continuous connection but having trouble with audio.

I've already deduced the problem to be the receiver. I've tried a different hdmi input device on my denon and it worked. when i tried it on the onkyo receiver, it does the same thing (flickers on initial connection then displays the "no signal" error on the lcd tv). I've tried connecting the htpc to my lcd tv and it works just fine. anyway, thanks for all your input guys. i really appreciate it. :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011 at 02:31 AM by Blackstar »

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2145 on: May 11, 2011 at 03:18 AM »
I've already deduced the problem to be the receiver. I've tried a different hdmi input device on my denon and it worked. when i tried it on the onkyo receiver, it does the same thing (flickers on initial connection then displays the "no signal" error on the lcd tv). I've tried connecting the htpc to my lcd tv and it works just fine. anyway, thanks for all your input guys. i really appreciate it. :D

I think somebody posted here about his Onkyo having HDMi problem.. Dont know lang what model of his Onkyo..
Walang Setup

Offline trigo

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2146 on: May 17, 2011 at 05:26 AM »
can we directly connect a powered sub (bose am15) to 3008? 

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2147 on: May 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM »
can we directly connect a powered sub (bose am15) to 3008? 

Yes via Sub Preout.
Walang Setup

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #2148 on: May 18, 2011 at 05:37 AM »
I am using kaiboer h1055 and I got movie files with DD -THD and DTS MA audio. the kaiboer is connected via HDMI to my Onkyo 608 and the audio is setup on RAW.

How should I get the ONKYO display those signals? Thanks.  ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline trigo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2149 on: May 18, 2011 at 06:06 AM »

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2150 on: May 18, 2011 at 10:14 AM »
I am using kaiboer h1055 and I got movie files with DD -THD and DTS MA audio. the kaiboer is connected via HDMI to my Onkyo 608 and the audio is setup on RAW.

How should I get the ONKYO display those signals? Thanks.  ::)

Good day! I have an Onkyo 509 and I used a Kaiboer k130i with it previously. When I set it to Raw, my receiver detects it as True Hd or DTS Master Audio.
Flip around the different "Movie" settings on your Onkyo remote.

@Onkyo guys:
Have you tried the Onkyo iPhone app?
It's a cool way to play music with the TV off.
Tipid sa LCD screen burn and power consumption.
Cover art is also visible.

Happy listening!

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2151 on: May 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM »
JC thanks for the info.. i have done that already, but to no avail. In what particular setting did you do to your onkyo bro? thanks again
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2152 on: May 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM »
JC thanks for the info.. i have done that already, but to no avail. In what particular setting did you do to your onkyo bro? thanks again

The Onkyo does not need any specific settings (except for the proper assignment of the HDMI port to the corresponding media player).   At factory default, if the media player properly outputs HD audio, you can simply switch through the different audio settings using the "Movie" button on the RC as posted by jcsantamarina in case auto detection does not work for any reason.  My Onkyo 1008 defaults at "All Ch Stereo" when there is no signal and then automatically switches to DTS-HD, TrueHD, DTS, DD or PLIIx, whichever audiostream it receives from the PCH.  

What's the indication on the front LCD panel of your Onkyo when you play a file with DTS-HD or TrueHD?  DTS and Pro-Logic respectively or something else?

Your Kaiboer is set to pass-through DTS-HD and TrueHD audio right?   The INFO coming out of the Kaiboer indicates that the files are indeed outputting HD audiostream right?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011 at 11:25 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2153 on: May 18, 2011 at 01:31 PM »

Oh.. one more thing about the Kaiboer..
When you change the audio output settings, you have to reboot it.

Hope it will work this time.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2154 on: May 19, 2011 at 05:54 AM »
Clondalkin -- the display is just DTS. Thanks to your input.

JC - I will try your suggestion rebooting the kaiboer after chanign audio output. Thanks din.  ;)

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2155 on: May 20, 2011 at 06:58 AM »
Finally that elusive DD-TrueHD displayed on my Onkyo  ;D Thanks to all!

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2156 on: May 21, 2011 at 09:30 AM »
Finally that elusive DD-TrueHD displayed on my Onkyo  ;D Thanks to all!

Great to hear that! Congrats!

Hey guys, I recently gOt a 1.5KW Voltage Regulator for my TV and Onkyo 509.

Is it just me or did that just help in improving the overall sound of my setup. I noticed that the audio is tighter and much much pleasing to watch videos.

Had a blast watching a "Toto" video concert. (",)

Question, should I include the NMT and the Subwoofer sa AVR? (",)

Offline joshwachubby

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2157 on: May 25, 2011 at 05:39 PM »
hello guy . .Onkyo sound good for movies :) Can anyone share their setting for normal music playback? As I am not getting the same results as I am getting with movie playback . .

If the music playback still does not improve, maybe I would buy a stereo amp in the future . .Thanks in advance for sharing :)
Toshiba 55XL700E
Onkyo TX-NR708
Polk Audio RTi A7's, CSi A6's, FXi A4's; DSW PRO 500 Subwoofer

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2158 on: May 25, 2011 at 06:04 PM »
hello guy . .Onkyo sound good for movies :) Can anyone share their setting for normal music playback? As I am not getting the same results as I am getting with movie playback . .

If the music playback still does not improve, maybe I would buy a stereo amp in the future . .Thanks in advance for sharing :)

you will find it difficult to achive the SQ produced by a dedicated two channel stereo in a receiver, the closest perhaps that can satisfy you is to set your receiver to Direct or Pure Audio mode.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline mcjefferson

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2159 on: Jun 01, 2011 at 06:03 AM »
Hi guys...,

How to appear trueHD in onkyo receiver? it only apprears in my ps3 when i press "select" while watching BD movies but not in my receiver.
My set up is 5.1 and the ps3 audio settings is set to automatic via HDMI.  
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2011 at 06:10 AM by mcjefferson »
LG 47LA7400 / SAM UA40EH5000
Onkyo HT-S5300 / A-922M stereo set 
Polk RTI A3 / dsw pro 400
PS3