Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 536750 times)

Offline 2RM

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #2490 on: Dec 24, 2011 at 03:12 PM »
For info lang po, i'm looking for an AVR to replace ung nasira kong HK AVR330 then nabasa kong thread na to and learned about Onkyo 809 w/ a selling price dyan sa atin na P65T. Nag checked ako sa website ng Onkyo dealer dito sa Kuwait and shocked ako sa price difference.

https://www.xcite.com/audio-mp3/home-theatre-systems/av-receivers.html

Current currency conversion is 1 KD(Kuwaiti Dinar) = P 156.33

Kayo na lang po mag compute pati sa ibang model aside from 809 to check price difference. Sa freight charges naman, roughly aroundP3,500 (air cargo) max 7 days, so malaking price difference pa rin. Just wondering bakit ganun kalaki price difference. Im just sharing lang.

Offline mikz023

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2491 on: Dec 24, 2011 at 10:40 PM »
For info lang po, i'm looking for an AVR to replace ung nasira kong HK AVR330 then nabasa kong thread na to and learned about Onkyo 809 w/ a selling price dyan sa atin na P65T. Nag checked ako sa website ng Onkyo dealer dito sa Kuwait and shocked ako sa price difference.

https://www.xcite.com/audio-mp3/home-theatre-systems/av-receivers.html

Current currency conversion is 1 KD(Kuwaiti Dinar) = P 156.33

Kayo na lang po mag compute pati sa ibang model aside from 809 to check price difference. Sa freight charges naman, roughly aroundP3,500 (air cargo) max 7 days, so malaking price difference pa rin. Just wondering bakit ganun kalaki price difference. Im just sharing lang.

almost half ang difference dba? im thinking of the warranty kaya cguro mahal d2 sa pinas..

Offline Carps

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2492 on: Dec 25, 2011 at 12:43 PM »
HI guys, I need your help.
I'm new here and I just got an Onkyo 609 a few days back...
After setting the Audyssey auto-calibration (My present set-up by the way is just 3.1 for now), I noticed the level was -7 on the left, -6 on the right and -3 on the center channel...
I tried playing some movies but the volume level is a bit low that I have to crank it up to about 60 to even get a good level.
So I tried to adjust my speaker levels: presently +2 on left and right and +5 on the center channel and the main volume level now at 48
Am I doing it right?
By the way, listening mode set to DTS, Audyssey on, dynamic EQ on and dynamic volume off
Hope you guys can help me...

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 806
« Reply #2493 on: Dec 25, 2011 at 03:48 PM »
HI guys, I need your help.
I'm new here and I just got an Onkyo 609 a few days back...
After setting the Audyssey auto-calibration (My present set-up by the way is just 3.1 for now), I noticed the level was -7 on the left, -6 on the right and -3 on the center channel...
I tried playing some movies but the volume level is a bit low that I have to crank it up to about 60 to even get a good level.
So I tried to adjust my speaker levels: presently +2 on left and right and +5 on the center channel and the main volume level now at 48
Am I doing it right?
By the way, listening mode set to DTS, Audyssey on, dynamic EQ on and dynamic volume off
Hope you guys can help me...

You didn't post your Subwoofer level but I'm assuming that it's also with a negative value. Lower your subwoofer volume to less than 9 o'clock and re-run Audyssey. See if the front levels now have a better value (closer to zero or zero). Set Dynamic Volume to Light. Now see if this improves things.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Carps

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2494 on: Dec 25, 2011 at 08:24 PM »
Sir Conan thank you very much. I did set the sub volume to 25% and ran audyssey again
I got -6dB on all three with sub but I ran GI Joe and the volume level improved considerably.
I adjusted it to -3 left and right and +1 on the center and -6dB on the sub. I am now running it at 47. I suppose the Onkyos normally deliver at this level for a 3.5 x 5.5 meter room.
Thank you so much sir.
BTW, I also set my dynamic volume to light

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2495 on: Dec 25, 2011 at 11:02 PM »
Dynamic Volume is used when watching sources that may have unpredictable and changing volume level usually TV programs. It can also be beneficial if watching movies at night and you don't want the LFE to be that pronounced. Activating Dynamic Volume eliminates the the impact of LFE especially in heavy explosions and gun fights but still provide pronounced center channel volume level

Activating the Dynamic Volume during normal listening makes you lose the details of the explosions and other scenes heavy with LFE.

Setting your subwoofer gain at 9 o clock before calibration is a very good starting point. Desired result of the sub level calibration is between -3 db and +3db. If you get anywhere near this, then that should be good enough, however, if you really want to have it within parameters, yoo can make adjustments, if the sub level calibration is too low say -6 tp -12db, decrease the gain setting and recalibrate, if its too high say +6 to +12db, increase the gain of the sub then recalibrate. Please take note that the resulting levels is reckoned at Reference Level, meaning listening at 0db or in your case at 82 db. If your not happy with the results, it becomes PREFERENCE thus defeat the purpose of the cailbration.

What Audyssey recommends after calibration is to set all cross over setting for the speakers to 80 hz while the LPF of the LFE to 120 hz speaker distance must be kept as is though as this is not a measure of the physical distance but a measure of the time delay or how the sound should arrive at your ears at your listening position. Changing this may result to inaccurate sound levels or a particular channel overpowering the other.

If the resulting level calibration is way too low, you may adjust each channel by 3db, my listening voulme is normally around 66db and my speaker calibration levels are set to around -3db for the fronts, -4.5db for the center and -5db for the srurround

for a better LFE, i set my sub level calibration 6db higher than the result i get after calibration meaning if i get -6db after calibration, I manually set it to 0db.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2496 on: Dec 27, 2011 at 07:13 PM »
Dynamic Volume is used when watching sources that may have unpredictable and changing volume level usually TV programs. It can also be beneficial if watching movies at night and you don't want the LFE to be that pronounced. Activating Dynamic Volume eliminates the the impact of LFE especially in heavy explosions and gun fights but still provide pronounced center channel volume level

Activating the Dynamic Volume during normal listening makes you lose the details of the explosions and other scenes heavy with LFE.

I just did a demo of two movies with nice opening action scenes to determine whether they sound better with Dynamic Volume on or off.

Gladiator - sounds better with Dynamic Volume on (Light), clashing of swords, arrows, horses and carriage sounds were better (more crisp and loud).

Transformers Dark of the Moon - sounded better with Dynamic Volume off. Explosions were more powerful and had more weight.

I guess movies with heavy LFE effects are better with Dynamic Volume off while dialogue and non-subsonic action scenes are better with it on. 
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2497 on: Dec 27, 2011 at 07:57 PM »
I just did a demo of two movies with nice opening action scenes to determine whether they sound better with Dynamic Volume on or off.

Gladiator - sounds better with Dynamic Volume on (Light), clashing of swords, arrows, horses and carriage sounds were better (more crisp and loud).

Transformers Dark of the Moon - sounded better with Dynamic Volume off. Explosions were more powerful and had more weight.

I guess movies with heavy LFE effects are better with Dynamic Volume off while dialogue and non-subsonic action scenes are better with it on. 

guess this is more on preference considering even the manual would say what the purpsoe of Dynamic Volume is.

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #2498 on: Dec 27, 2011 at 08:20 PM »
If it weren't for dynamic volume, I would still be stuck with headphones when watching movies after midnight. I absolutely love it. Almost 80% of what I've watched were viewed with dyn vol on (evening setting).

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #2499 on: Dec 27, 2011 at 09:43 PM »
guess this is more on preference considering even the manual would say what the purpsoe of Dynamic Volume is.

Audyssey Dynamic Volume can compress the dynamic range significantly, especially when the dial is well below reference levels. This could have a big impact to the listening experience, and it could be positive or negative depending on the situation and the listener.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2500 on: Dec 27, 2011 at 09:49 PM »
Audyssey Dynamic Volume can compress the dynamic range significantly, especially when the dial is well below reference levels. This could have a big impact to the listening experience, and it could be positive or negative depending on the situation and the listener.

this is what im trying to say sir ivan, it can either be something to like for or not depending on the listeners preference but during night time, using the dynamic volume is something that i really like, i can afford to watch at relatively higher volume so i can still understand the dialouges well without dealing with much of the sound that can already disturb my neighbors

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #2501 on: Dec 28, 2011 at 12:07 AM »
this is what im trying to say sir ivan, it can either be something to like for or not depending on the listeners preference but during night time, using the dynamic volume is something that i really like, i can afford to watch at relatively higher volume so i can still understand the dialouges well without dealing with much of the sound that can already disturb my neighbors

Agree. This is like an automatic "night mode" setting. :)

Offline jcsantamarina

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2502 on: Dec 28, 2011 at 06:59 PM »
Isang tulog pa...

Hehehe.. Any tips for tomorrow's setup? Kakayanin naman siya Ng 1500KW na Samwon AVR right?

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2503 on: Dec 28, 2011 at 08:02 PM »
Isang tulog pa...

Hehehe.. Any tips for tomorrow's setup? Kakayanin naman siya Ng 1500KW na Samwon AVR right?

Kaya naman, your receiver is rated to have a max consumption of 750 watts.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2504 on: Dec 28, 2011 at 08:15 PM »
Isang tulog pa...

Kayang kaya yan... isa pa.. do you plan to max your AVR's volume? he he he...

I feel your excitement bro.. Congratssss
Walang Setup

Offline jcsantamarina

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2505 on: Dec 28, 2011 at 09:00 PM »
Kaya naman, your receiver is rated to have a max consumption of 750 watts.

Kayang kaya yan... isa pa.. do you plan to max your AVR's volume? he he he...

I feel your excitement bro.. Congratssss

Salamat bros! I remember kasi kelangan daw Ng headroom for the AVR.. When I bought it.. My LED is 250.. So 750W na 110V plus 250W na 220V.. Below pa naman ang 1000W diba? (",) hehehe.. Yoko na sana bumili pa Ng isa pang voltage reg...

Exciting.. Kaso I only have between 3-5pm to try it out kasi have to tour the balikbayans who lugged this home.. Hehehe..

Good night! Matutulog ako Ng maaga.. (",)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #2506 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 04:40 AM »
Salamat bros! I remember kasi kelangan daw Ng headroom for the AVR.. When I bought it.. My LED is 250.. So 750W na 110V plus 250W na 220V.. Below pa naman ang 1000W diba? (",) hehehe.. Yoko na sana bumili pa Ng isa pang voltage reg...

Exciting.. Kaso I only have between 3-5pm to try it out kasi have to tour the balikbayans who lugged this home.. Hehehe..

Good night! Matutulog ako Ng maaga.. (",)

Most 220V out AVRs are current-limited, and thus can only safely deliver half their rated VA capacity sa 110V tap. Pero malamang kaya pa niyan since continuous naman ang rating ng mga yan, while the AV Receiver will only pull a lot of current during transients.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #2507 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 07:53 AM »
Isang tulog pa...

Congrats brader!!!  :o

********************************************************************************

Mga masters,

In terms of processing ano bang differences ng 809, 1009 and 3009?  ;D

Thanks

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2508 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 08:02 AM »
Congrats brader!!!  :o

********************************************************************************

Mga masters,

In terms of processing ano bang differences ng 809, 1009 and 3009?  ;D

Thanks

Mas maganda angn 3009 sa lahat brader he he he..... Go and get the best brader... Ikaw pa...
Walang Setup

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2509 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 08:09 AM »
Mas maganda angn 3009 sa lahat brader he he he..... Go and get the best brader... Ikaw pa...

Hehehe...
Mahal brader eh  ;D

Kaya kung halos pareho pareho sila in terms of processing capabilitites baka sa 809 or 1009 na ko  :)

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2510 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 08:20 AM »
Hehehe...
Mahal brader eh  ;D

Kaya kung halos pareho pareho sila in terms of processing capabilitites baka sa 809 or 1009 na ko  :)

Pare hindi mas maganda ang 3009 he he he he.. Dinedemonyo lang kita brader he he he....

Seriously..
I'll get the 1009 if i were you bro..

Walang Setup

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2511 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 08:22 AM »
Hehehe...
Mahal brader eh  ;D

Brader.. try mo din yung Pioneer Elite SC-57 A/V Receiver..

Panalo din yan..
Walang Setup

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2512 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 08:24 AM »
Brader.. try mo din yung Pioneer Elite SC-57 A/V Receiver..

Panalo din yan..

Noted brader.
Nagtitingin nga din ako ng dealer ng Pioneer and Denon.

Panalo nga din yang Pioneer Elite. Ganda ng amplifier section.

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2513 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 08:36 AM »
Noted brader.

Yup brader panalo nga amp section nyan.. Ganda din reviews nyan
Walang Setup

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2514 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 08:49 AM »
Noted brader.

But you'll be using your 5 channel power amp right? No need for a receiver then, dapat surround processor pre-amp like this:   ;D

http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series/M15-HD-AV-Surround-Sound-Preamplifier

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2011 at 08:55 AM by Conan »
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2515 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 12:15 PM »
But you'll be using your 5 channel power amp right? No need for a receiver then, dapat surround processor pre-amp like this:   ;D

http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series/M15-HD-AV-Surround-Sound-Preamplifier

Pang 3 channel lang yung amp ko sir Conan.
Kaya AVR pa din kailangan ko to drive the surrounds...  :)

Maganda nga din ang NAD AVR. Ang mahal lang kasi ng receiver locally. Nakakahinayang yung 25K+ difference sa US  :(

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2516 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM »
Pang 3 channel lang yung amp ko sir Conan.
Kaya AVR pa din kailangan ko to drive the surrounds...  :)

Maganda nga din ang NAD AVR. Ang mahal lang kasi ng receiver locally. Nakakahinayang yung 25K+ difference sa US  :(

Ah ok. Order na lang from the US.   ;D
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2517 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM »
Ah ok. Order na lang from the US.   ;D

Yun na nga ang the best option sir Conan.
Draw back is matagal kay pasasabikin  ;D

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2518 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 01:35 PM »
Yun na nga ang the best option sir Conan.
Draw back is matagal kay pasasabikin  ;D

Ngayon pa lang Orderin mo na ang 3009 este 1009 para dumating agad.. ;D
Walang Setup

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2519 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 01:53 PM »
Hehehe...
Mahal brader eh  ;D

between 809 and 1009, not much except that the 1009 is 500 USD more expensive

but if it its 3009, ibang iba, MultEQ XT versus MultEQ XT32 kaya lang 2.5K USD and 3009