Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 536742 times)

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #2580 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 06:20 PM »
i believe yung heat issues and malaking bagay sa 09 series, the 809 does not heat up and may dalawang fan sa loob the blows hot air out of the top vent
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #2581 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 06:26 PM »
i believe yung heat issues and malaking bagay sa 09 series, the 809 does not heat up and may dalawang fan sa loob the blows hot air out of the top vent

Hmmm. Parang very familiar kana sa Onkyo 809 sir Tirso ha  ;) ;D

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2582 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 06:43 PM »
Sir R1DVD I got a reading of 17.2 watts with HDMI passthrough on standby.  Sir Courage yung 3008 also generates heat on standby kaya sinasabay ko mag-on yung Jojodfan  sa pagpower on ng 3008.

Thanks Comet.  Is that with HDMI passthrough only (network control mode is off)?  I'm not familiar with onkyo settings but the blogger from the link I posted mentioned something about Network Control Mode.  He mentioned that turning it off brought down the power consumption to zero.  I was hoping the when HDMI passthrough mode is ON and Network Control Mode is off, the standby consumption would more or less approximate the figures from Denon and Yamaha.  By the way, what onkyo are you using?

Offline comet

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #2583 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 06:58 PM »
I'll try to check on the network control mode kung meron ang receiver ko, I'm using the 3008 sir.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2584 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 08:15 PM »
Hmmm. Parang very familiar kana sa Onkyo 809 sir Tirso ha  ;) ;D

nag basa basa lang ako louie hehehehe

some interesting things about the 809

1. When doing calibration, Audyssey Mult EQ XT will prompt you to set your subwoofer gain so that it will
    read 75db only, problem is that to achieve 75db(actually around 76db sya), the gain of the Ultra is set to
    only around 830 o clock halos zero na yung gain.

2. Calibration is a breeze. It becomes faster by 50% and it uses 8 mic positions.

3. After completing the calibration, two options can be chosen for the Audyssey EQ activation, one for Music
   and one for Movie.

4. When the gain is set to produce 75db, resulting level calibration for the sub is exactly at zero(not sure if
    the same for all situations though). Distances measured for left and right front are the same and so are for
    the surrounds. The same is true for the level calibrations.

5. Apart from the THX Loudness Plus, it has an option to use Dolby Volume(these acts just like Audyssey Eq)
   so you have more flexibility on chosing your SQ preference.

6. The 809 greatly improved the HF part, the center channel and the surround.Panning has become more
    pronounced. SQ became richer and the details improved a lot

7. It does not heat up unlike the 807 or 808 perhaps. While this is so, it comes with two built in fans inside
   that pushes hot air out of the top vents.

8. It has a couple of HDMI outs that allows you to choose either Main, Sub or both and has tons of HDMI Ins
   8 if im not mistaken.

9. It has a couple USB slots(1 in front and 1 at the back) that allows you to play even FLAC files directly.
   Whats nice, when playing via USB, the display panels would display the title of the song and the artist and
   sounds better compared to playing music via the NMT.

10. It has a very nice looking front fascia, very elegant and minimalistic, only downside but depending on
     preference, the volume knob is now lighted white instead of blue.

11. For video, there are several options to choose, it has ISF day, ISF night, Direct and Custom among
     others, it comes with 4K upscaling thought this may not matter yet considering panels should be 4K too

Overall, the 809 is a huge leap compared to its predecessors and is fully packed with features that can only be present in more expensive models of other brands.Only downside is that it is only MultEQ XT and not XT32. If you are willing to shell out an extra 1K to 1.5K USD, then you may want to go the 3009 route, apart from the XT32, i think all the rest are basically the same in the aspect of things that matters to your basic needs-5.2 channels, HQV upscaler among others.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012 at 02:29 PM by Onkyo606 »

Offline jcsantamarina

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2585 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 08:48 PM »
^^sir Onkyo606:
Very enlightening post. Learned new things about my Receiver.
Hehe..

Salamat!

Re: Sub, I'm using a Polk Audio PSW 112 and I also calibrated to 75db at around 8 oclock where I used to have it at 9 o'clock.

Re: Volume Light, actually I was expecting it to be blue as well. Hehehe.. But I got white! (",)

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to learn more.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2586 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 09:00 PM »
^^sir Onkyo606:
Very enlightening post. Learned new things about my Receiver.
Hehe..

Salamat!

Re: Sub, I'm using a Polk Audio PSW 112 and I also calibrated to 75db at around 8 oclock where I used to have it at 9 o'clock.

Re: Volume Light, actually I was expecting it to be blue as well. Hehehe.. But I got white! (",)

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to learn more.

setting at 75 db, then running 3db hot will give a very good listening experience at 75db sa volume though im not comfortable with the setting so i went manual with the sub and crank up the gain to 9 o clock with sub level calibration at -5db, im a very happy man.

Offline stan1196

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2587 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 09:30 PM »

some interesting things about the 809

1. When doing calibration, Audyssey Mult EQ XT will prompt you to set your subwoofer gain so that it will
    read 75db only, problem is that to achieve 75db(actually around 76db sya), the gain of the Ultra is set to
    only around 830 o clock halos zero na yung gain.

2. Calibration is a breeze. It becomes faster by 50% and it uses 8 mic positions.

3. After completing the calibration, two options can be chosen for the Audyssey EQ activation, one for Music
   and one for Movie.

4. When the gain is set to produce 75db, resulting level calibration for the sub is exactly at zero(not sure if
    the same for all situations though). Distances measured for left and right front are the same and so are for
    the surrounds. The same is true for the level calibrations.

5. Apart from the THX Loudness Plus, it has an option to use Dolby Volume(these acts just like Audyssey Eq)
   so you have more flexibility on chosing your SQ preference.

6. The 809 greatly improved the HF part, the center channel and the surround.Panning has become more
    pronounced. SQ became richer and the details improved a lot

7. It does not heat up unlike the 807 or 808 perhaps. While this is so, it comes with two built in fans inside
   that pushes hot water out of the top vents.

8. It has a couple of HDMI outs that allows you to choose either Main, Sub or both and has tons of HDMI Ins
   8 if im not mistaken.

9. It has a couple USB slots(1 in front and 1 at the back) that allows you to play even FLAC files directly.
   Whats nice, when playing via USB, the display panels would display the title of the song and the artist and
   sounds better compared to playing music via the NMT.

10. It has a very nice looking front fascia, very elegant and minimalistic, only downside but depending on
     preference, the volume knob is now lighted white instead of blue.

11. For video, there are several options to choose, it has ISF day, ISF night, Direct and Custom among
     others, it comes with 4K upscaling thought this may not matter yet considering panels should be 4K too

Overall, the 809 is a huge leap compared to its predecessors and is fully packed with features that can only be present in more expensive models of other brands.Only downside is that it is only MultEQ XT and not XT32. If you are willing to shell out an extra 1K to 1.5K USD, then you may want to go the 3009 route, apart from the XT32, i think all the rest are basically the same in the aspect of things that matters to your basic needs-5.2 channels, HQV upscaler among others.

wow ganda talaga ng onkyo 809. thanks sir for the interesting points and congrats na rin  ;D
Aiyima Rotel CD11 Tribute Focal Chora 806 QED XT125

Offline FrancisS

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Collector
  • Drive your car and speakers safely!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2588 on: Jan 14, 2012 at 08:36 PM »
Don't forget your firmware updates guys. :)
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Aaudio/Wharfe 9.3,9CM,9.1
Sony BDP S570+PS3
Pilyo Amp4v2 + 2 12" JBL GT5

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2589 on: Jan 14, 2012 at 08:42 PM »
Don't forget your firmware updates guys. :)

@FrancisS:
Is there a newer one after the Dec 20 update?

Sir Onkyo606: 809 na din kayo diba?? hehehe.. Magbabago na ba username?

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2590 on: Jan 14, 2012 at 09:30 PM »
@FrancisS:
Is there a newer one after the Dec 20 update?

Sir Onkyo606: 809 na din kayo diba?? hehehe.. Magbabago na ba username?

ay hindi po, matagal na yang Onkyo606 pero saglit lang sa akin yang receiver na yan pinalitan ko na din agad ng Onkyo HT RC180 but never changed my username

unless there is something significant that will change, di na din ako upgrade FW

Offline FrancisS

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2591 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 06:15 PM »
The 12/20/2011 update addresses the following:

Improves noise during playback of DTS-HD Master Audio with particular Blu-ray disc;

Corrects operation of speaker distance calculation in Audyssey 2EQ;

QUESTION: Since the update says that it "corrects distance calculation", should I calibrate again after the FW update?
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Sony BDP S570+PS3

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #2592 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 07:42 PM »

Improves noise during playback of DTS-HD Master Audio with particular Blu-ray disc;

QUESTION: Since the update says that it "corrects distance calculation", should I calibrate again after the FW update?

Hi Brader Francis  :)  imo, if you're already happy with the way your setup sounds, di mo na siguro kailangan I calibrate uli...TIP lang brader, be sure to use a UPS on your onkyo receiver before you update your unit's firmware, baka mabrick unit mo pag nagflactuate or nag-blackout, alam mo na, it happens the least you expected di ba?
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2593 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM »

Thanks! I already updated mine. I did notice that some of my DTSMA files had white noise when I played them before doing the update. My workaround before was to turn the AVR on and off. After updating, I haven't encountered this anymore.

I didn't know about the speaker distance calculation. Will probably re-do my Auddyssey.. Oh wait, 2EQ, Does this apply to my Audyssey MultEQ?

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2594 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM »
ang galing ng 809 water cooled!  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2012 at 11:40 PM by markcrenz »
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline FrancisS

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2595 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 01:27 AM »
Hi Brader Francis  :)  imo, if you're already happy with the way your setup sounds, di mo na siguro kailangan I calibrate uli...TIP lang brader, be sure to use a UPS on your onkyo receiver before you update your unit's firmware, baka mabrick unit mo pag nagflactuate or nag-blackout, alam mo na, it happens the least you expected di ba?

Ok brader wengkapre. :) I'll take note of that. In the worst case scenario that power does fail upon updating, what could we do? any workaround ?
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Sony BDP S570+PS3

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #2596 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 09:00 AM »
Ok brader wengkapre. :) I'll take note of that. In the worst case scenario that power does fail upon updating, what could we do? any workaround ?

TOYAMA na bagsak ng avr mo nyan brader  :'(
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2597 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 09:26 AM »

It does not heat up unlike the 807 or 808 perhaps. While this is so, it comes with two built in fans inside

Bro, yong 808, 3008 & 5008 meron na dual fan sa ilalim. Though the fan only engage when needed.  ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2598 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 10:02 AM »
Hi jcsantamarina!

What exactly do you mean by the highlighted phrase? Thanks

Thanks! I already updated mine. I did notice that some of my DTSMA files had white noise when I played them before doing the update. My workaround before was to turn the AVR on and off. After updating, I haven't encountered this anymore.

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2599 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 09:03 PM »
^^I noticed when I played my Avatar BluRay via PS3 and the soundtrack was weak and there was a hissing sound (white noise BA tawag don?)
I noticed it also with a few DTSMA rips I have on my HDD backups.

But now that I updated to Dec 20 FW, i haven't encountered it anymore.

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2600 on: Jan 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM »
To Onkyo 809 users, pwede po paki-check yung depth nung unit.  It says sa website 435 mm.  Is it yung housing lang or including the terminals na (eg. binding posts).  Wanted this model sana but when I checked my rack, medyo alanganin yung depth ng rack ko.  I noticed that this model is significantly bigger (especially the depth) than the 709

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2601 on: Jan 22, 2012 at 01:36 PM »
To Onkyo 809 users, pwede po paki-check yung depth nung unit.  It says sa website 435 mm.  Is it yung housing lang or including the terminals na (eg. binding posts).  Wanted this model sana but when I checked my rack, medyo alanganin yung depth ng rack ko.  I noticed that this model is significantly bigger (especially the depth) than the 709

Dont forget that if you plan to use banana plugs.. madadagdagan pa ang depth nyan..
Walang Setup

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2602 on: Jan 22, 2012 at 09:05 PM »
Dont forget that if you plan to use banana plugs.. madadagdagan pa ang depth nyan..

That's right, kaya gusto ko malaman yung exact dimension.  Grabe pala ang laki nito....beast talaga!

Offline jeff29jeff2002

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #2603 on: Jan 28, 2012 at 08:54 AM »
Hello mga bro in PDVD,

Just want to share my little concern on my Onkyo AVR. Just hoping maybe someone have the same experience and might be able to help me.

I have bought a 2nd hand Onkyo TX-DS656 Onkyo AVR. Medyo old model na sya but its good enough for me coz Im more into music rather movies. The item is in good condition and all features are working as mentioned in the manual. My concern is just that there are times that the AVR would sound not as good as it was when I bought it ( Parang may kunting sabit na audible sya during soft passages ng music). Since I am still using 3 channels (L,C,R) lang, mas audible and problem sa center channel during 3 channel stereo mode. But in some time OK naman sya. I tried to single-out, and observed that during night time, the problem occurs. Right now, I am not using an automatic voltage regulator, so I tried to measure the supply voltage during night time and daytime. My multimeter is not calibrated though but it shows about 10 ~ 15 volts difference. The meter actually reads 225v during daytime and 240~245volts during nightime. But as I've said, my meter is not calibrated so I couldn't conclude that it is really reaching as high as 245 volts. But one thing sure, it does have a supply voltage difference.

My concern now, have you experienced almost same problem like mine with your AVR's ?
Thanks in advance ...any inputs would be of great help...

jeff29jeff2002
(jason)
“It takes half your life before you discover life is a DIY project.”

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2604 on: Feb 02, 2012 at 03:22 PM »
@jason, I never had that same experience with my Onkyo during the short time that I've owned it.  To be safe, invest on a good servo-motor controlled AVR lalo na't ikaw na rin maysabi na may voltage fluctuation sa inyo.

To Onkyo X09 users , may tanong lang po ako about the so-called overlaid GUI. According sa reviews (and I think I also read about it sa manual), meron daw overlaid GUI yung 809 so dapat when accessing the setup menu nakapatong siya dun sa video that is playing...right?  And sabi din, this overlaid GUI is only seen if your TV is connected sa HDMI out (main). Ganun naman ang connection ko. Meron pa bang ibang setting na dapat kalikutin para ma-enable itong overlaid GUI?  Yung akin kasi when I'm playing a movie then press the SETUP button, the picture blacks out then saka lumalabas ang setup menu (black background lang at walang video na nakikita).  The overlaid GUI only appears when I press the HOME button and make adjustments sa settings dun.  Ganun ba talaga yun or dapat sa SETUP and HOME menu eh meron overlaid GUI?

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 806
« Reply #2605 on: Feb 02, 2012 at 03:25 PM »

To Onkyo X09 users , may tanong lang po ako about the so-called overlaid GUI. According sa reviews (and I think I also read about it sa manual), meron daw overlaid GUI yung 809 so dapat when accessing the setup menu nakapatong siya dun sa video that is playing...right?  And sabi din, this overlaid GUI is only seen if your TV is connected sa HDMI out (main). Ganun naman ang connection ko. Meron pa bang ibang setting na dapat kalikutin para ma-enable itong overlaid GUI?  Yung akin kasi when I'm playing a movie then press the SETUP button, the picture blacks out then saka lumalabas ang setup menu (black background lang at walang video na nakikita).  The overlaid GUI only appears when I press the HOME button and make adjustments sa settings dun.  Ganun ba talaga yun or dapat sa SETUP and HOME menu eh meron overlaid GUI?

I have a 608 but what you described is exactly how my receiver also behaves. Pressing Set-up will black out the movie.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2606 on: Feb 02, 2012 at 03:54 PM »
@jason, I never had that same experience with my Onkyo during the short time that I've owned it.  To be safe, invest on a good servo-motor controlled AVR lalo na't ikaw na rin maysabi na may voltage fluctuation sa inyo.

809 and above models apparently should have this overlaid GUI, which allows you to navigate on the features of the receivers while still seeing the movie you are watching but this is not the case for the 809, when you navigate through the set up menu, the screen displays the GUI but not the video but you can still hear the audio part though this is already a jump from previous model that does not show video and does not have audio as well.

RIDVD and I were hoping we have just missed on the right setting

Offline jcsantamarina

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2607 on: Feb 02, 2012 at 03:54 PM »
@R1DVD:
Same scenario here as well on my 809. Overlaid for home button, Setup button replaces video screen with setup menu.

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #2608 on: Feb 02, 2012 at 04:07 PM »
@R1DVD:
Same scenario here as well on my 809. Overlaid for home button, Setup button replaces video screen with setup menu.

Onkyo 609 Owner. Overlaid gui when home button is pressed. setup button is not overlaid.

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2609 on: Feb 02, 2012 at 04:15 PM »
Probably the reviewers were referring only to overlaid GUI when HOME button is pressed and not the SETUP button.  At least now I know my unit is not defective :D