Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 536709 times)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #2760 on: Apr 16, 2012 at 03:52 PM »
You can verify the audiostream using the freeware Mediainfo.   

I suspect the streaming from the laptop to the PS3. (How is it exactly done BTW?)

The file I'm streaming via PS3 Media Player is 5.8G.

I tried listening MP3 songs, VIA USB to PS3 and guess what, DTS Neo 6 is available. with a 3.1 set up. I don't get it.  ???

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2761 on: Apr 16, 2012 at 04:02 PM »
thanks for taking time to reply guys.

The file I'm streaming via PS3 Media Player is 5.8G.

I tried listening MP3 songs, VIA USB to PS3 and guess what, DTS Neo 6 is available. with a 3.1 set up. I don't get it.  ???

it's either NEO:6 Cinema or NEO:6 Music and not just plain NEO:6, right?

at least on newer receivers, this is how it works...

Stereo source + Neo:6 Cinema / Neo:6 Music listening mode - possible with 3.1 / 5.1 / 6.1 / 7.1 SB speaker layout

Stereo source + Neo:6 listening mode - not possible with any speaker layout

5.1 source + Neo:6 Cinema / Neo:6 Music listening mode - not possible with any speaker layout

5.1 source + Neo:6 listening mode - only possible with 6.1 / 7.1 SB speaker layout

basically the available listening modes depend on the combination of source material (as transmitted to the reciever) and speaker layout...
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2012 at 04:09 PM by rthirtyfourgtr »
One should not seek the meaning of life until one is ready to understand death.

Offline vladshoteyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2762 on: Apr 16, 2012 at 04:14 PM »
it's either NEO:6 Cinema or NEO:6 Music and not just plain NEO:6, right?
exactly!

at least on newer receivers, this is how it works...

Stereo source + Neo:6 Cinema / Neo:6 Music listening mode - possible with 3.1 / 5.1 / 6.1 / 7.1 SB speaker layout

Stereo source + Neo:6 listening mode - not possible with any speaker layout

5.1 source + Neo:6 Cinema / Neo:6 Music listening mode - not possible with any speaker layout

5.1 source + Neo:6 listening mode - only possible with 6.1 / 7.1 SB speaker layout

basically the available listening modes depend on the combination of source material (as transmitted to the reciever) and speaker layout...

thanks for the reply mate.

@Clondalkin - I'm using PS3 Media Server. Install it in your Laptop/PC then via Wifi or wired, you can connect your unit and stream/view pics/music to your PS3. You can also use Tversity. Same process, but for Tversity, some HD files are not supported.
Samsung LED Series 6 40"
Onkyo TX SR 706
Velodyne VRP 1000
Dayton B652
PS3 Slim
LG HD/DVD

Offline vladshoteyes

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2763 on: Apr 16, 2012 at 04:21 PM »
guys,

I assumed it has something to do with the audio format/file from the HD/bluray movies I downloaded. I guess, it's better to check each files before downloading.

guys, what's your recommended level of Sub volume in the AVR. I've read a few threads in PDVD that it's advisable to set 120hz on the sub and just make adjustments in the AVR. I did that as well, but I just need inputs as to the db level of the sub in the AVR.

TIA
Samsung LED Series 6 40"
Onkyo TX SR 706
Velodyne VRP 1000
Dayton B652
PS3 Slim
LG HD/DVD

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2764 on: Apr 16, 2012 at 04:21 PM »
^ happy to help out a fellow onkyo user :)

with regards to streaming, i think stereo/multichannel PCM lang talaga from PS3 to A/V receiver, but you should be able to bitsteam DD/DTS/etc. when playing blu-ray (assuming slim yung PS3 mo)

add speakers na lang to "unlock" other listening modes  ;)

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #2765 on: Apr 16, 2012 at 04:41 PM »
guys,

I assumed it has something to do with the audio format/file from the HD/bluray movies I downloaded. I guess, it's better to check each files before downloading.

guys, what's your recommended level of Sub volume in the AVR. I've read a few threads in PDVD that it's advisable to set 120hz on the sub and just make adjustments in the AVR. I did that as well, but I just need inputs as to the db level of the sub in the AVR.

TIA

I think it could be the settings on the PS3 media server or Tversity or other media server software. Check how the settings transmit the audio signal from PC -> Media Server -> PS3 - Receiver

Assuming if the video file from the laptop has DTS / Dolby encoded audio stream, the PS3 audio setting  is set to bitstreamin. then i guess the only place to look at is the decoding of the media server software (ps3 media server).

Hope this helps.

Offline vladshoteyes

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2766 on: Apr 16, 2012 at 05:10 PM »
I think it could be the settings on the PS3 media server or Tversity or other media server software. Check how the settings transmit the audio signal from PC -> Media Server -> PS3 - Receiver

Assuming if the video file from the laptop has DTS / Dolby encoded audio stream, the PS3 audio setting  is set to bitstreamin. then i guess the only place to look at is the decoding of the media server software (ps3 media server).

Hope this helps.

this should be it!! ;) never thought of it, no until today. I just checked the PS3 Media Server. and Yes, you have the option to change audio setting. will check it later tonight and see if it does produces better audio to my rig.

Thanks.
Samsung LED Series 6 40"
Onkyo TX SR 706
Velodyne VRP 1000
Dayton B652
PS3 Slim
LG HD/DVD

Offline ASuL

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2767 on: May 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM »
i'm about have a custom built an audio rack and i was wondering how much head room should i provision for my onkyo 609?

the 609 is about 6.8 inches in height, would a 8 inch head room enough considering that the opening is very wide. length of the opening is about 30 inches and the 609 is only about 17 inches.

kaso lang i noticed that the vents are most on top of the unit and not on the side. So do you think OK lang 8 inches? para sana sakto yung look.

thanks!

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2768 on: May 11, 2012 at 01:06 PM »
if i remember it right, recommendation on the manual says 8" clearance from the top of the receiver, then 4" on the sides

EDIT:

Page 2 - No. 18 on the manual:

If you install the apparatus in a built-in installation,
such as a bookcase or rack, ensure that there is
adequate ventilation.

Leave 20 cm (8") of free space at the top and sides and
10 cm (4") at the rear. The rear edge of the shelf or
board above the apparatus shall be set 10 cm (4")
away from the rear panel or wall, creating a flue-like
gap for warm air to escape.

pwede rin naman yung sakto lang yung space, but you have to employ active cooling (i.e. exhaust fans) to prevent overheating...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012 at 01:12 PM by rthirtyfourgtr »

Offline adonph

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2769 on: May 11, 2012 at 10:42 PM »
hi guys,

Seems alot of us are using or eyeing the 809, iam torn between the aventage a2010 or the 809. Since i have good experiences with onkyo, iam leaning towards the 809.

Any issues that i should look out for? Iam getting the unit from the us. I used to have a 608, hehe upgrade na e.

Hope for some inputs

Thanks

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2770 on: May 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM »
hi guys,

Seems alot of us are using or eyeing the 809, iam torn between the aventage a2010 or the 809. Since i have good experiences with onkyo, iam leaning towards the 809.

Any issues that i should look out for? Iam getting the unit from the us. I used to have a 608, hehe upgrade na e.

Hope for some inputs

Thanks

Ganito din dati ako pinagpipilian ko ang Yamaha and Onkyo same model but i get the Yamaha since pag nag search ka sa net wala ka makikita na issue's and some of my frend have this with no issue's for 2 years na even si courage naka yamaha from US pa wala din issue alam ko 2 years+ na yung unit niya. Yung onkyo kasi dami pa din issue suwerte mo brader pag nakuha mo ung wala issue. Goodluck sa pag pili.  ;D ;D
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2771 on: May 12, 2012 at 05:38 AM »
^ In fairness, you gotta consider the fact that more people use Onkyos these days, and hence more reports of issues compared to others.

Dito na lang sa PDVD, ilan ang naka 609/809 vs mga naka-equivalent yamaha or denon...

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2772 on: May 12, 2012 at 05:58 AM »

bro, hope this may be of help...

if you are after THX certified equipment, you may to consider the Onkyo 809 and usually sells landed in Manila around php 40k + (I thinks someone is selling one at php 42-43k in the marketplace).

If you are partial to the Yamaha's, RX-A2010 is a good one too. They usually sell landed around Php 60K+.

I had my fair success of getting my AVR's (started with an Onkyo, went for Yamaha and then back to using "both" Onkyo and Yamaha receivers) and large LED displays usually from the US too in the past few years. I'd say, as long as the shipper you use is careful with the goods, you have the odds in your favor.

I'd also say if you don't mind the php 60K+ landed price range for an RX-A2010, then add a little bit more and just go straight to the RX-A3010.  ;D

If you can bring the item yourself from the US without having to depend on a freight forwarder, the better for you.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2773 on: May 12, 2012 at 06:03 AM »
actually, the specs wise right comparison for the Yamaha RX-A2010, is the Onkyo TX-NR1009

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR1009&class=Receiver&p=i

but since you are comparing your decision point to the Onkyo TX-NR809, the specs are shown below:

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR809&class=Receiver&p=i

As for the Yamaha units on E-Bay, just make sure that if the price is too low they are the better "Class B" units. I think the ones sold on Amazon.com which is usually higher range are the "Class A" units.

Hope this helps.

Disclosure: I have an Onkyo TX-NR809 and a couple of older Yamaha receivers but was eyeing a Yamaha RX-A2010 / RX-A2000 too for my other place's set-up. I might just wait for prices to come down as newer models are about to be launched or go straight and leap-frog into the newer models.  ;D

But quite happy and contented with the Onkyo TX-NR809 that I just installed to replace one of the Yamaha receivers very recently.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012 at 06:08 AM by jackryan »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2774 on: May 12, 2012 at 06:35 AM »
I would have stuck with Yamaha if they were priced at same levels as that of Onkyo - on equivalent grades of AVR.

Having said that, Im pretty satisfied with the 809 and 1008 kahit meron akong hinahanap na warmth ng Yamaha sound.

Kung import din lang, minimum grade should be 8xx.  All the rest, jackryan has already wisely explained.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2775 on: May 12, 2012 at 07:37 AM »
bro, hope this may be of help...

if you are after THX certified equipment, you may to consider the Onkyo 809 and usually sells landed in Manila around php 40k + (I thinks someone is selling one at php 42-43k in the marketplace).

If you are partial to the Yamaha's, RX-A2010 is a good one too. They usually sell landed around Php 60K+.

I had my fair success of getting my AVR's (started with an Onkyo, went for Yamaha and then back to using "both" Onkyo and Yamaha receivers) and large LED displays usually from the US too in the past few years. I'd say, as long as the shipper you use is careful with the goods, you have the odds in your favor.

I'd also say if you don't mind the php 60K+ landed price range for an RX-A2010, then add a little bit more and just go straight to the RX-A3010.  ;D

If you can bring the item yourself from the US without having to depend on a freight forwarder, the better for you.

+1

On the price but if you are patient enough to wait the landed price of the Yamaha RX-A2010 for sea freight i believe wala pa 50k class B units but as far as my seller advice on the unit it's a new one with one year warranty only. Kaya lang naman tumaas ng 60k+ yung landed price of the yamaha because AIR shipping siya so mas mahal talaga.  ;D ;D

Sobra lang baba kasi ng onkyo compare sa ibang receiver like Yamaha, PIO and other known brand why sobrang baba yun din ang gumulo sa isip ko.  Onkyo 809 price at $600+ sa amazon compare to $1,499.95. Di ko  alam why sobra bilis bumaba ang price ng onkyo even new model pa siya like the 809 pero sa local market hindi naman mabilis bumaba sa US lang. Dahil kaya sa mga reported issue's kaya madami user ng onkyo kasi mababa ang price compare to other brand. ;D ;D

Retail of Onkyo 809 $1099 and retail price of Yamaha RX-A2010 $1600 if you will check mas mataas talaga ang SRP ng RX-A2010 kasi high end na ng Yamaha. Same lang naman ang nabawas sa SRP pricing sa mga online market like amazon and ebay nasa $400+ lang both brand. I believe yung model na puwede itapat sa onkyo 809 is the RX-871 i believe landed price will be less than 40k.  ;D ;D
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline adonph

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2776 on: May 12, 2012 at 07:39 AM »
Thanks very much guys sa input

I bring items in myself since my sister always sends us packages from the us. Tama kayo na if i am looking for THX the onkyo is the way to go, concerned lang dun sa mga issues na biglang no sound, and handshake issues.

Yung plus naman sa onkyo, spec wise its fully loaded, hqv, neo x and lots more.

Tama yung isang kamember natin, did some searching, yamaha bihira issues, sabagay ilan palang din yung gumagamit satin ng yamaha. Dami 809 e haha.

one more thing iam considering the 809 dahil price drop haha. Yamahas are still on their reg. pricing, pero i could wait and check out new models na din.

One more questions guys, what major issue ang concern sa 809? does the unit still overheat?

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2777 on: May 12, 2012 at 07:46 AM »
Thanks very much guys sa input

I bring items in myself since my sister always sends us packages from the us. Tama kayo na if i am looking for THX the onkyo is the way to go, concerned lang dun sa mga issues na biglang no sound, and handshake issues.

Yung plus naman sa onkyo, spec wise its fully loaded, hqv, neo x and lots more.

Tama yung isang kamember natin, did some searching, yamaha bihira issues, sabagay ilan palang din yung gumagamit satin ng yamaha. Dami 809 e haha.

one more thing iam considering the 809 dahil price drop haha. Yamahas are still on their reg. pricing, pero i could wait and check out new models na din.

One more questions guys, what major issue ang concern sa 809? does the unit still overheat?

Iba naman kasi level ng A2010 sa 809 brader.  ;D ;D

Saka yung issue's na sinasabi ko di lang pdvd kung hindi international siguro naman madami na din user internationally ng yamaha pero wala pa din ganun lumalabas na issue's.

Good luck on your new receiver purchase like i said ganyan din dati ako ilang weeks din na pag iisip and comparison ginawa ko.  ;D ;D
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline adonph

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2778 on: May 12, 2012 at 08:06 AM »
Iba naman kasi level ng A2010 sa 809 brader.  ;D ;D

Saka yung issue's na sinasabi ko di lang pdvd kung hindi international siguro naman madami na din user internationally ng yamaha pero wala pa din ganun lumalabas na issue's.

Good luck on your new receiver purchase like i said ganyan din dati ako ilang weeks din na pag iisip and comparison ginawa ko.  ;D ;D
yap tama ka bro sa diff ng level ng yamaha and onkyo. Also checked feed back sa buyers for both units and brand. mas less nga sa yamaha ang problems.

Checking out also the new release ng mga rx-v nila, meron na e haha. pero would still be leaning towards aventage series kung sa hi end lang din.

tik tok, hirap pumili hahaha

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2779 on: May 12, 2012 at 08:18 AM »
yap tama ka bro sa diff ng level ng yamaha and onkyo. Also checked feed back sa buyers for both units and brand. mas less nga sa yamaha ang problems.

Checking out also the new release ng mga rx-v nila, meron na e haha. pero would still be leaning towards aventage series kung sa hi end lang din.

tik tok, hirap pumili hahaha

I've been there brader and i also consider the THX pero sa tingin ko naman di ko na siya need kasi HD audio naman na ang kasama ng mga movies ko. Wag ka na mag dalawang isip get the brand that your pocket can max get wag mo na tipirin.  ;D ;D
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline adonph

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2780 on: May 12, 2012 at 08:41 AM »
I've been there brader and i also consider the THX pero sa tingin ko naman di ko na siya need kasi HD audio naman na ang kasama ng mga movies ko. Wag ka na mag dalawang isip get the brand that your pocket can max get wag mo na tipirin.  ;D ;D
Hahaha, oo e mukang magmamax ako sa wallet haha. Sabagay tama ka bro, we dont need the thx much naman since movies come with hd audio formats na.

When kaya labas new series ng aventage? sa onkyo labas na din 818 this month it makes choosing even more harder hahaha

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2781 on: May 12, 2012 at 08:53 AM »
Hahaha, oo e mukang magmamax ako sa wallet haha. Sabagay tama ka bro, we dont need the thx much naman since movies come with hd audio formats na.

When kaya labas new series ng aventage? sa onkyo labas na din 818 this month it makes choosing even more harder hahaha

Di ko alam brader saka di na ako nag titingin kasi masaya na ako sa A2010 ko na dumating di ko pa nga lang nakukuha sa shipping company baka next week ko na makuha. Nakakuha kasi ako good deal sa ebay for A2010 kaya di muna ako titingin ng new model siguro pag malaki na yung significant na pag kakaiba sa features saka ako upgrade pero right now kasi parang nadagdag is the AIRPlay and 4K video support sa new model which hindi ko pa naman eed kasi 1080 pa lang naman ang gagamitin ko.  ;D ;D

IMHO bakit ako kukuha ng di ko pa naman magagamit baka after months or years may mas new model pa and magagamit ko na ung feature na yun kasi may mga HDTV or PJ ng mura na may feature ng 4k video.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012 at 08:55 AM by xrampage »
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline adonph

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2782 on: May 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM »
Haha, sabagay bro tama ka diyan

we just need the features that are needed, may android app naman ata as per the brochure.

siya nga pala who is your seller sa ebay? comparing prices kasi.

The onkyo i am looking at amazon, pero for the yamaha sa ebay parang mas ok yung deal e.

mukang mapapa yamaha ako hahaha

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2783 on: May 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM »
Haha, sabagay bro tama ka diyan

we just need the features that are needed, may android app naman ata as per the brochure.

siya nga pala who is your seller sa ebay? comparing prices kasi.

The onkyo i am looking at amazon, pero for the yamaha sa ebay parang mas ok yung deal e.

mukang mapapa yamaha ako hahaha

Yes may android phone na yan brader. Class B yung nakuha ko sa ebay alam ko USBargain yung seller. Ang pag kakaiba lang as per seller is yung warranty 1 year sa Class B and 2 -3 years yata sa Claa A which di ko naman magagamit.  ;D ;D

Good luck in hunting the bang for the back deal. Get the one that you like most.  ;D ;D
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline adonph

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2784 on: May 12, 2012 at 10:27 AM »
Bro,

I've heard of that seller. ok feedback niyan. tama ka the warranty is only applicable in the us. basta here naman satin may yamaha, onkyo techs ok naman.

Thanks talaga sa info bro, sige will be considering the units.

Thanks din sa info on the class a, and b. consider ko din hehe.

Will be deciding this week

Thanks bro

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2785 on: May 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM »
Bro,

I've heard of that seller. ok feedback niyan. tama ka the warranty is only applicable in the us. basta here naman satin may yamaha, onkyo techs ok naman.

Thanks talaga sa info bro, sige will be considering the units.

Thanks din sa info on the class a, and b. consider ko din hehe.

Will be deciding this week

Thanks bro

No problema brader recommend ko pag pinadala mo wag mo ilagay sa iba pang box para alam nila na electronic item siya para naman handle with care nila lalo na pag sea freight yan matagal tagal na antayan ang 1 month. Ako kasi AIR Freight para mas mabilis medyo mahal nga lang pero yung pag alala and pag antay ko di matagal. Malaki din ang $100+ na additional from class A to Class B at saka nakakuha kasi ako ng mas magandang deal with US bargain the time i purchase my unit alam ko may 10 units pa that time now nasa 2-3 units na lang yata stock nila. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM by xrampage »
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2786 on: May 12, 2012 at 10:13 PM »
No problema brader recommend ko pag pinadala mo wag mo ilagay sa iba pang box para alam nila na electronic item siya para naman handle with care nila lalo na pag sea freight yan matagal tagal na antayan ang 1 month. Ako kasi AIR Freight para mas mabilis medyo mahal nga lang pero yung pag alala and pag antay ko di matagal. Malaki din ang $100+ na additional from class A to Class B at saka nakakuha kasi ako ng mas magandang deal with US bargain the time i purchase my unit alam ko may 10 units pa that time now nasa 2-3 units na lang yata stock nila. ;D ;D

Grabe ang wizardry mo brader rampage he he he.......
Walang Setup

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2787 on: May 13, 2012 at 08:25 AM »
Grabe ang wizardry mo brader rampage he he he.......

Tumutulong lang sa isang member.  ;D ;D ;D
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline adonph

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2788 on: May 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM »
Hehe,

Thanks sir rampage, hehe might be going for the 2010 mukang magbababa ang prices since new receivers are coming out, ok din prices ng ibang yamaha's dun sa seller.

did you get your 2010 na?

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2789 on: May 13, 2012 at 03:50 PM »
Hehe,

Thanks sir rampage, hehe might be going for the 2010 mukang magbababa ang prices since new receivers are coming out, ok din prices ng ibang yamaha's dun sa seller.

did you get your 2010 na?

Baka tuesday pa brader kasi medyo malaki laki din ang shipping fee ko now kasi PJ and receiver ang pinaship ko over the AIR. ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012 at 10:50 PM by xrampage »
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.