Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 536747 times)

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #2970 on: Aug 24, 2012 at 10:24 AM »
I think the question is about pass-through, meaning ignoring the AVR's capability but still able to watch in 3D. So multichannel audio is out of the question. Unless, of course the TV itself can output multichannel audio...  :)
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2971 on: Aug 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM »
I think the question is about pass-through, meaning ignoring the AVR's capability but still able to watch in 3D. So multichannel audio is out of the question. Unless, of course the TV itself can output multichannel audio...  :)

Can ARC capable TV do this?

LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #2972 on: Aug 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM »
Can ARC capable TV do this?

Not sure about that...
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #2973 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 01:16 AM »
my bro just told me that he connected his samsung 3D bluray player to a denon 2308 (non-3D) then out to a samsung series 6 3D plasma without any issues playing 3D blurays. he mentioned that the 3D is side-by-side processing.

is it possible that the receiver converted the 3D material to 2D then the 3D plasma converts it back to 3D?

i told him try connecting the bluray to the plasma directly and see if their is a difference. but it's strange that the receiver managed to pass thru the 3D material. read somewhere that if 3D material is fed to a non-3D receiver, no signal will come out on the receiver's HDMI out.

i have seen his setup before but did not bother asking about the HDMI connections. now. i'm interested to know because i already bought a PJ and want to find out a way if my non-3D onkyo 1007 will work as a repeater.
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2012 at 01:27 AM by GneW »

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2974 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 07:19 AM »
my bro just told me that he connected his samsung 3D bluray player to a denon 2308 (non-3D) then out to a samsung series 6 3D plasma without any issues playing 3D blurays. he mentioned that the 3D is side-by-side processing.

is it possible that the receiver converted the 3D material to 2D then the 3D plasma converts it back to 3D?

i told him try connecting the bluray to the plasma directly and see if their is a difference. but it's strange that the receiver managed to pass thru the 3D material. read somewhere that if 3D material is fed to a non-3D receiver, no signal will come out on the receiver's HDMI out.

i have seen his setup before but did not bother asking about the HDMI connections. now. i'm interested to know because i already bought a PJ and want to find out a way if my non-3D onkyo 1007 will work as a repeater.

Are you sure bout this sir because from the specs of  Denon 2308, its HDMI version is only 1.3?  You need at least 1.4 to pass through a 3D signal indirectly from player - receiver - tv.
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2975 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 07:39 AM »

I think it covert the bluray 3D to SBS not the original Bluray 3D.
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2976 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 07:53 AM »
Are you sure bout this sir because from the specs of  Denon 2308, its HDMI version is only 1.3?  You need at least 1.4 to pass through a 3D signal indirectly from player - receiver - tv.

yes, i'm sure about this because i've watched 3d on his plasma using bluray. the image is 3d and not like the converted 2d to 3d quality.

di ko lang alam paano nya ni setup pero ngayon kinonfirm nya sa akin na ganon talaga, dumaan sa denon 2308.

probably xrampage is right, the plasma converted the signal to SBS.

now i told my bro to hook the bluray player direct to the plasma and compare the result. wait ko pa reply nya.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2977 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 08:05 AM »
yes, i'm sure about this because i've watched 3d on his plasma using bluray. the image is 3d and not like the converted 2d to 3d quality.

di ko lang alam paano nya ni setup pero ngayon kinonfirm nya sa akin na ganon talaga, dumaan sa denon 2308.

probably xrampage is right, the plasma converted the signal to SBS.

now i told my bro to hook the bluray player direct to the plasma and compare the result. wait ko pa reply nya.

Sa HDMI kasi puwede din gamitin ang 1.3 version kaya puwedeng mangyari ang scenario ni GneW na SBS yung naging resulta kasi di naman 3D capable yung reciever. May nakita na din ako dati 3D SBS naman yung play sa player na 3D capable player di ko lang alam kung 3D bluray but the TV is not 3D its LG scarlet 32 inch so ang nag play sa LG is SBS. may scenario din ako na sabi nila di puwede ang 1.3 na HDMI sa bluray 3D i tested in my setup and the 1.3 HDMI work with my iso bluray 3D original bluray 3D output not SBS.    ;) ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2012 at 08:08 AM by xrampage »
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2978 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 08:53 AM »
my bro is using a standard hdmi from denon to plasma. hi bluray may have used a 1.3 or 1.4 hdmi (the ones given free from samsung) connected to the denon.

so, is the output of the denon downscaled to 2D then the plasma did the SBS conversion?

or, the output of the denon is SBS then passes thru a standard HDMI and displayed by the 3D plasma?

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2979 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 09:09 AM »
my bro is using a standard hdmi from denon to plasma. hi bluray may have used a 1.3 or 1.4 hdmi (the ones given free from samsung) connected to the denon.

so, is the output of the denon downscaled to 2D then the plasma did the SBS conversion?

or, the output of the denon is SBS then passes thru a standard HDMI and displayed by the 3D plasma?

You can check that by disabling the 3D of the plasma in my PJ there is a option to disable the 3D features. If you disable the 3D feature of the plasma and SBS is still output on the TV then the receiver pass through the SBS to the TV if not then the TV convert the bluray to SBS.  ;) ;)
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2980 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 09:28 AM »
You can check that by disabling the 3D of the plasma in my PJ there is a option to disable the 3D features. If you disable the 3D feature of the plasma and SBS is still output on the TV then the receiver pass through the SBS to the TV if not then the TV convert the bluray to SBS.  ;) ;)

ok, i will forward this setting instructions to my bro, so he can check it.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2981 on: Aug 28, 2012 at 02:28 PM »

ok, i will forward this setting instructions to my bro, so he can check it.

May update na?  ;D ;D
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #2982 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 11:29 AM »
might get a new onkyo 5009 or 5010 soon...

basically aside from the price, are there any big difference between the 2??

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2983 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 01:50 PM »
might get a new onkyo 5009 or 5010 soon...

basically aside from the price, are there any big difference between the 2??

Onkyo traditionally cut down on features when they introduce new model, best resource for information right now would be users in the AVS Forum madalas naman kase mga taga US nag unang gumagamit ng bagong labas na modelo.

Would you believe, 809 sells for around 65K locally while the newest model 818 can be had for only around 54K locally, when I asked my friend on why this is so, my friend told me the new model looks differently from the 809, they say the innards and the features are different, did not bother to verify kase di ko na rin naman naiinitindihan yung mga itsura ng receiver sa loob.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #2984 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 01:56 PM »
Onkyo traditionally cut down on features when they introduce new model, best resource for information right now would be users in the AVS Forum madalas naman kase mga taga US nag unang gumagamit ng bagong labas na modelo.

Would you believe, 809 sells for around 65K locally while the newest model 818 can be had for only around 54K locally, when I asked my friend on why this is so, my friend told me the new model looks differently from the 809, they say the innards and the features are different, did not bother to verify kase di ko na rin naman naiinitindihan yung mga itsura ng receiver sa loob.

heheh.. now its onkyo 5009 vs denon 4311..

Offline Billabong

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2985 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 02:29 PM »
Tutal you're in the high-end realm already.. I think it's much better to go separates. Pre-pro + a good external power amp.

Sa Onkyo meron yung PR-SC5509. :)

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2986 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 02:44 PM »
we have the onkyo 818 available. come by the shop to audition. :)

Offline defcon3

• Trade Count: (+79)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #2987 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 07:46 PM »

OMG  :o :o :o

Offline roygee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2988 on: Sep 08, 2012 at 07:53 AM »
gud am sirs,

need your inputs sa balak ko gawin. im only using an NR509.. i've read in some forum na "fake" ang zone 2 ng 509, which still needs another amp to power it.

possible ba na... i'd get a tube amp (yaqin vk2100), somehow connect it to the 509's zone 2 to power it? thanks in advance!

Offline Tavus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2989 on: Sep 08, 2012 at 08:44 AM »
i dont know what happen to my older post but yes its true you can pass-though 3d with a 1.3 hdmi receiver.
its been done with other brands. an avforumer was able to get 3d on his harman kardon 255 and ps3. you need to fool the receiver into thinking its 1.4.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2990 on: Sep 08, 2012 at 11:48 AM »
i dont know what happen to my older post but yes its true you can pass-though 3d with a 1.3 hdmi receiver.
its been done with other brands. an avforumer was able to get 3d on his harman kardon 255 and ps3. you need to fool the receiver into thinking its 1.4.

care to share the trick sir ;)

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2991 on: Sep 09, 2012 at 01:57 PM »
May update na?  ;D ;D

been to my bro's place to test out his setup. he was able to play 3D using a 3D bluray player but in SBS mode. i hooked up the bluray direct to the plasma using a hi-speed hdmi cable and voila, the picture quality improved compared to watching using the SBS mode. it showed a real 3D where objects pops out of the screen and come near you. with the previous setup, those scenes pops out but just a little.

we've tried a downloaded 1080p SBS movies, they were less stellar than the bluray but i find it okay. i'm a newbie in 3D though, so take my comment as a grain of salt ;D

i don't have a 3D capable NMT. do you think it is a wise choice to use a 3D bluray player rather than buy a 3D capable NMT? what would be the advantage of the NMT? the downloaded 3Ds were played using a HDD hooked to the bluray's USB port and it played the 3D files flawlessly. i'm thinking of getting a bluray player with dual hdmi to work with my non 3D receiver. this player should be able to play both bluray disc and downloaded materials.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2012 at 02:00 PM by GneW »

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2992 on: Sep 09, 2012 at 02:14 PM »
been to my bro's place to test out his setup. he was able to play 3D using a 3D bluray player but in SBS mode. i hooked up the bluray direct to the plasma using a hi-speed hdmi cable and voila, the picture quality improved compared to watching using the SBS mode. it showed a real 3D where objects pops out of the screen and come near you. with the previous setup, those scenes pops out but just a little.

we've tried a downloaded 1080p SBS movies, they were less stellar than the bluray but i find it okay. i'm a newbie in 3D though, so take my comment as a grain of salt ;D

i don't have a 3D capable NMT. do you think it is a wise choice to use a 3D bluray player rather than buy a 3D capable NMT? what would be the advantage of the NMT? the downloaded 3Ds were played using a HDD hooked to the bluray's USB port and it played the 3D files flawlessly. i'm thinking of getting a bluray player with dual hdmi to work with my non 3D receiver. this player should be able to play both bluray disc and downloaded materials.

Mas maganda naman talaga ang real 3D than SBS. What bluray player na ba ang nag susuport ng iso 3D bluray? There is a player/NMT that support both iso and bluray disc HD Dune.  ;) ;)
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2993 on: Sep 09, 2012 at 02:20 PM »
anong model ng HD Dune?

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #2994 on: Sep 09, 2012 at 02:34 PM »
anong model ng HD Dune?

You should wait for the Dune HD Pro or Popcorn Hour A/C400 or Egreat S300.
They are already using the new Sigma 8910/8911 which will be capable of playing full 3D bluray iso. Ang Egreat R6s and R300 which uses Realtek 1186 capable na din but wala support for full bluray menu.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2995 on: Sep 09, 2012 at 04:21 PM »
You should wait for the Dune HD Pro or Popcorn Hour A/C400 or Egreat S300.
They are already using the new Sigma 8910/8911 which will be capable of playing full 3D bluray iso. Ang Egreat R6s and R300 which uses Realtek 1186 capable na din but wala support for full bluray menu.

i'm waiting for the Egreat R900 PRO (w/ dual HDMI), may kasamang bluray player na. sana affordable ang price.

Online sdsmds

• Trade Count: (+358)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 750
« Reply #2996 on: Sep 10, 2012 at 02:15 PM »
mga sirs, newbie owner ng onkyo avr. paano ba mapapagana yung extra hdmi slots na wala sa remote or front panel control? 515 po ang unit. thanks

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2997 on: Sep 10, 2012 at 07:11 PM »
mga sirs, newbie owner ng onkyo avr. paano ba mapapagana yung extra hdmi slots na wala sa remote or front panel control? 515 po ang unit. thanks

check out page 50 of your manual, it discusses Input/Output Assign
One should not seek the meaning of life until one is ready to understand death.

Offline lord_dracula

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2998 on: Sep 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM »
What speaker brands work well with an Onkyo AVR?

Offline defcon3

• Trade Count: (+79)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #2999 on: Sep 16, 2012 at 12:22 AM »
What speaker brands work well with an Onkyo AVR?

polk audio  :)