Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 537651 times)

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #390 on: Jan 04, 2007 at 10:18 AM »

how much is the onyo 604, 703 and 801?

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #391 on: Jan 04, 2007 at 12:04 PM »
Anyone knows which Onkyo model has HDMI 1.2a & has the best lowest price?

I saw Yamaha VR-1700 but cost a whopping 58k  :o Hopefully, within the next 6 months, prices will drop further  ::)

Offline jptransfiguracion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #392 on: Jan 06, 2007 at 09:32 AM »
I am seriously considering a 2nd hand 501 being sold to me here in PDVD at P10k and an HK AVR135 at P14k? Which do you think is a better buy? Or should I consider buying the 503 at P18k as mentioned by Baboinsky. TIA
Pana 42S10/Sammy 32B550
Denon 1507/Rotel RB985
Wharf 9.2/CS/9DFS 
Rotel RCD02/RA05
Tannoy RevR2

Offline schlamm

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #393 on: Jan 06, 2007 at 08:40 PM »
@jptransfiguracion

If you can spend more for a new receiver then get the new one, but if your budget can't then get the 2nd hand AVR units being sold to you. Also consider the specs of the AVRs that you have in mind and compare which has the best specs for you.

Offline sonnysy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #394 on: Jan 07, 2007 at 03:49 PM »
Hi!

Our precious 11 year old Harman-Kardon AVR-80 -- have served use really great, solid power and superb sound quality (am into rock music & DVDs... during that it cost me an arm and a leg... made in japan, cheaper models were made in korea then... dunno now) just gave up on us this week.

Briefly going over the reviews here... I'm looking into acquiring a new Yamaha or Onkyo receiver... Whats your recommendation for sub-30K & sub-50K pesos?

Cheers!

Sonny

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #395 on: Jan 07, 2007 at 09:23 PM »
Hi Sonny....

Harmons reputation preceeds itself (just like Denon) before one even mentions the word receiver.  But I gots to say....the HK I demoed......although having merrit,  seemed to be a bit ....LACKING..(just like the Denon receiver).  I often wonder why?  It made the JBL and the Infinity speakers I demoed seem shallow and that left me scratching my balding head.

DUDE....do a demo of the onkyo at "sights and sounds" Edsa Shangrila plaza.......try out the Onkyo 803.( 51,000 pesos)....and compare it to any DENON model.   I am sure you will walk away....AMAZED at the difference.

Your decision to go with Onkyo IMHO will be reinforced BIG TIME .

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline sonnysy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #396 on: Jan 31, 2007 at 10:58 PM »
Hi guys, where can I locally find the cheapest or reasonably-priced, brand-new Onkyo receivers?

Cheers!
Sonny

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #397 on: Feb 01, 2007 at 10:05 AM »
Hi Sonny....

Harmons reputation preceeds itself (just like Denon) before one even mentions the word receiver.  But I gots to say....the HK I demoed......although having merrit,  seemed to be a bit ....LACKING..(just like the Denon receiver).  I often wonder why?  It made the JBL and the Infinity speakers I demoed seem shallow and that left me scratching my balding head.
DUDE....do a demo of the onkyo at "sights and sounds" Edsa Shangrila plaza.......try out the Onkyo 803.( 51,000 pesos)....and compare it to any DENON model.   I am sure you will walk away....AMAZED at the difference.

Did you demo the highest model HK? I know that they were out of stock of the 6 series for the whole December to Jan. To compare a low model HK & a high model Onkyo is not an "apple to apple" comparison.  :)

The lower models pale in comparison to the powerful upper model receivers... of any brand.

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2007 at 10:10 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #398 on: Feb 01, 2007 at 11:27 AM »
I think Onkyo SR803 or SR 804 receiver will be comparable to Denon 380x series and HK 3xx series.

Pricewise, I think they probably have a big difference....

Those 3 receivers mentioned above have different characteristics in sound reproductions, what maybe be good sounding to me might not be perceived the same by others, that's why I generally dont dissed  receivers that I havent chosen to give respect to other's perception.

Also some people perceived that "as long as my Amp/AVR produces much louder sound than the other Amp/AVR, then what I've got is much better" hehehehehe I alway's encounter this kind of people who always look at the wattage of the amp......like, "pare ilang watts ba yung kaya nung receiver mo, yung sa akin kase eh 1 million watts eh" herherherehrehrehrer ;D

But as you get mature with this hobby, you approach this in different perspective..... ;)

well diff. strokes for diff. folks sabi nga nila.....

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #399 on: Feb 01, 2007 at 12:46 PM »
I think Onkyo SR803 or SR 804 receiver will be comparable to Denon 380x series and HK 3xx series.

Its HK 6xx series nga pala, yung 3xx series is lower mid level nila.  ;)

I have owned 2 high model receivers of different brands since I started this hobby, all I can say is that at that price class/ level, they all perform equally well, each having its own strength (processing, detail, musical reproduction, surround, midrange) & its up to the buyer's subjective taste to decide w/c one among them suits their preference.

There is no "Pangit" na receiver at this price/ performance class, merely a "preferred" receiver.

Also some people perceived that "as long as my Amp/AVR produces much louder sound than the other Amp/AVR, then what I've got is much better" hehehehehe I alway's encounter this kind of people who always look at the wattage of the amp......like, "pare ilang watts ba yung kaya nung receiver mo, yung sa akin kase eh 1 million watts eh" herherherehrehrehrer ;D

But as you get mature with this hobby, you approach this in different perspective..... ;)

Kung lakas & wattage lang ang paguusapan, HK6 series should have been auditioned as well. With 1110w power consumption usually found in THX ultra receivers, 50 AMPS (my external power amp only has 40 amps!!!) and 75w all 7 channels driven (other AVR's in this class were found to only produce 45w all channels driven ;)), you can crank 7 (not 2) floorstanders in tandem and the HK will just ......smile :).

I wonder kung kaya ng ears....
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2007 at 10:45 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #400 on: Feb 01, 2007 at 12:55 PM »
Agree with you guys.  One thing i learned in this hobby (learned it first at kotseaudioclub) is not to diss other brands that I havent chosen, specifically amps, receivers and speakers.  Its really a personal decision/taste.  What may sound good to you, may not sound so good to others.  Thats why my recommendation is to audition, audition and audition.  Let your ears decide, not somebody else's perception.  ;D

Offline sonnysy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #401 on: Feb 02, 2007 at 05:45 AM »
Hello again guys,

Really need to get a new receiver, my dad's bugging me for a while already bu have been busy with work since the start of the year.

Any recommendation on where I could find good selection of Onkyo receivers at reasonable price? I looking at acquiring a tx-sr604 or tx-sr674.

Cheers and thanks!

Sonny

Hi guys, where can I locally find the cheapest or reasonably-priced, brand-new Onkyo receivers?

Cheers!
Sonny

Offline Zitr0

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #402 on: Feb 02, 2007 at 07:07 AM »
Hello again guys,

Really need to get a new receiver, my dad's bugging me for a while already bu have been busy with work since the start of the year.

Any recommendation on where I could find good selection of Onkyo receivers at reasonable price? I looking at acquiring a tx-sr604 or tx-sr674.

Cheers and thanks!

Sonny

Hi sir Sonny,

well as far as store, Marami talagang options for this.

Here are some stores where you can start:
-SGT at Tordecellias st. Makati;
-Sights and Sound at Shangrila mall Ortigas or
-Sound Dimension sa Park Square Makati.

now as for the "Prices", best is to talk to the owners and get best possible discounts.
Isa lang naman ang price nyan lahat for they have MSRP's to follow. discounts nalang nagkakaiba.

Now as for the 2 models you're eyeing for, i sugest got for the 674, equipt yata sya ng Audessy EQ2, w/c from the review i read was really good in balancing and producing the best sound possible for the room in regards with the speakers.

Hope this helps.
CHEERS!
"NO SPEAKER IS MADE PERFECT, YOUR "EARS" MAKE A SPEAKER PERFECT!"

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #403 on: Feb 02, 2007 at 10:37 AM »
Sayang lang talaga sa Onkyo, 7 series pa saka may pre outs  :(

« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2007 at 10:38 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #404 on: Feb 02, 2007 at 11:27 AM »
That's also my observation with other models, even Yamaha.  It's the higher models that have pre-outs.  I find that ironic. Because it's the lower models that will most likely benefit from upgrading with higher powered outboard amps.  Their higher models already have sufficient power most of the time to require outboard amps.  And their flagships would rarely need one.  Pre-outs should be standard. Gaano lang ba mag lagay ng 6 RCA terminals?    ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2007 at 11:32 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #405 on: Feb 02, 2007 at 03:20 PM »
Agree sir. It must be with the budget models, all costs are being minimized. Thats why those sub 20k receivers w/ pre outs are quite useful. 

BUT, the question of processing comes next ... cant help but wonder if the higher models have better processing. If you look at the specs of most receivers, their processor models are different w/ higher model receivers. SARS "what ifs" still abound, hehe

Bah, this is such an expensive hobby.  :D
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2007 at 03:21 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #406 on: Feb 02, 2007 at 03:40 PM »
Bah, this is such an expensive hobby.  :D

hehehe cant help myself but agree with you on that one mate  ;D

that's why some time I forced myself not to go to A/V shops nor browse the internet for these kind of things......

SARS prevention on my part...hehehehehe :D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #407 on: Feb 02, 2007 at 03:44 PM »

BUT, the question of processing comes next ... cant help but wonder if the higher models have better processing. If you look at the specs of most receivers, their processor models are different w/ higher model receivers. SARS "what ifs" still abound, hehe

Definitely I'd expect higher models to have better digital processing. Some higher models share that same chips but implement it differently, like having channel independence.  And of course you should see better video processors as well that upscales your S-video to component or progressive.  Some audio nuts actually use flagship receivers as pre/pro mated to more power Aragon or Bryston power amps.  That's because these flagship receivers often have the same or even superior pre/pro circuitry of many standalone pre/pros costing even more.  I know a lot of members in other AV forums like audioholics who use the Yamaha Z9 just as a pre/pro.   ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2007 at 03:46 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #408 on: Feb 02, 2007 at 04:11 PM »
Because it's the lower models that will most likely benefit from upgrading with higher powered outboard amps.

this is because in many low priced models of any brand, the tone control is incorporated with the power amps...they save money here, (production costs) since they were spared one stage of amplification...

amps topology is not unique with any brand, they go thru a fad-cycle, makers of these amps use chips and semicons that are available at the time of manufacture, or they build amps based on what is currently produced by  semicon companies...

economy of scale, that is how it is called, all designed to make a profit.... ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2007 at 03:19 PM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #409 on: Feb 02, 2007 at 04:16 PM »
I guess it makes sense...

Higher models have higher power ... the processor knows that & will decode accordingly & give signals (to the power amp) that it knows will be easily handled by its own internal amp.

Lower models however have lower power... so the processor will not give signals (to the power amp) that can fry its own internal amps.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2007 at 04:17 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #410 on: Feb 03, 2007 at 08:14 AM »
I guess it makes sense...

Higher models have higher power ... the processor knows that & will decode accordingly & give signals (to the power amp) that it knows will be easily handled by its own internal amp.

Lower models however have lower power... so the processor will not give signals (to the power amp) that can fry its own internal amps.

higher models are sold at a higher price, lower models at a lower price......this is all about bussiness, making profits...
manufacturers are out to get the biggest share of the market...so they come up with several models all aimed at getting a broader spectrum of the income groups....there's got to be a model to fit your budget... this makes business sense...

That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #411 on: Feb 03, 2007 at 10:47 AM »
... or are you born yesterday???  ???  ;D  ;D ...

take the yamaha cycle Z-series / 1xxx-2xxx series / 4xx-7xx series

yesterday Z series has processor 3, 1xxx-2xxx has processor 2, 4xx-7xx has processor1

today, Z series has processor 4, 1xxx-2xxx has processor 3 (from Z series), 4xx-7xx has processor2

tomorrow, Zseries will have processor 5, 1xxx/2xxx the processor 4 ...

For 4xx-7xx, a little addition of connectors to make distinction between models as you go up - and do you still believe they have different amps inspite of different marketing rating they hyped?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Same with 1xxx/2xxx series

So you want Z-series feature processor, wait 1-2 generation of model cycle and you will get it in the 4xx-7xx models!  ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2007 at 10:49 AM by aHobbit »
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline dj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • "be better, be happy"
  • Liked:
« Reply #412 on: Feb 05, 2007 at 02:20 PM »

yesterday Z series has processor 3, 1xxx-2xxx has processor 2, 4xx-7xx has processor1

today, Z series has processor 4, 1xxx-2xxx has processor 3 (from Z series), 4xx-7xx has processor2

For 4xx-7xx, a little addition of connectors to make distinction between models as you go up - and do you still believe they have different amps inspite of different marketing rating they hyped?  ;D  ;D  ;D

So you want Z-series feature processor, wait 1-2 generation of model cycle and you will get it in the 4xx-7xx models!  ;D  ;D  ;D
::)
panasonic 50c10
harman/kardon avr 335
wharfedale diamond 9s
dtx
samsung
pensonic
measy e8hd

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #413 on: Feb 05, 2007 at 03:06 PM »

I have a few generations of Yamaha catalogs & noticed indeed long ago that Yamaha trickles down its older technology from the high models to its lower ones, like the YPAO.

But the processor ??? I have to look that up. Where did you get this info?

I dont doubt that the 4xx-7xx series use the same amps, but of course they use different THX certified amps for the 1400-2600 series . With that being said, I wonder how the higher model processors that once handled THX certified amps (that could handle more difficult power loads) be transferred to the newer lower models, and these processors will send the same demanding signals to the lower powered amps? There is a processor to amplifier relationship that has to be addressed IMO.

Just wondering. ???
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2007 at 03:16 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #414 on: Feb 06, 2007 at 02:59 PM »
Ok, just browsed through catalogs and searched the net.

Yamaha Z-9     YSS 930 x 4
Yamaha 1400 to 2500 YSS930
Yamaha 34* to 75* YSS 938

Yamaha 1200 to 2300, 3200 YSS 938

So ahobbit is partially correct, but the Z9 just has 4 processors. Maybe someday they will bring down the YSS930 to the lower models, but they usually take 2-3 years to trickle down the YSS's from what I saw. There are no indications of the processors used starting from the 1600 series.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2007 at 04:38 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline butchoy8701

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Vacuum tube lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #415 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 12:19 PM »
I am currently using an entry level Onkyo AVR for my (2ndary) bedroom setup. Its a good performer for its price & very warm (or thick) sounding for an entry level AVR. I combined it with a rather bright sounding JBL satellite speaker system. Great combination, IMO.

I also heard this perform w/ Mission bookshelf speakers, excellent!

A "recommendable" entry level AVR if I may say so.

Hi MAtZTER,

What model of Onkyo are using for your secondary set-up? Speakers?  ;D
I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go to mid level or entry level. thanks

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #416 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 07:08 PM »
Onkyo 494. I have been enjoying it a lot lately since my wife just gave birth & doesnt want to go down to our main HT room to watch movies. I find its performance w/ my JBL SCS satellite speaker set very satisfactory.

Go for a mid level (30+k) receiver IMO, its flexible cuz:
1.) you can either go for an entry level speaker or mid level speaker.
2.) Performance is better than entry levels: so less SARS.  :D
3.) Speakers are easy to sell, unlike receivers.

Offline butchoy8701

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Vacuum tube lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #417 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 10:09 PM »
Onkyo 494. I have been enjoying it a lot lately since my wife just gave birth & doesnt want to go down to our main HT room to watch movies. I find its performance w/ my JBL SCS satellite speaker set very satisfactory.

Go for a mid level (30+k) receiver IMO, its flexible cuz:
1.) you can either go for an entry level speaker or mid level speaker.
2.) Performance is better than entry levels: so less SARS.  :D
3.) Speakers are easy to sell, unlike receivers.

Yah, i totally agree with you... ;D Maybe i'll go for a mid level receiver.  Maybe HK340 (ooops! ;D this is an onkyo thread) I narrowed down my choices to Onkyo or HK paired with mission m52 for my 60/40 HT/music preference so less SARS just as you suggested...Thanks a lot Sir Matz...You made it easier for me to decide and make sound decisions that would prevent costly mistakes... ;D

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #418 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 10:35 PM »
just wanted to share

in my experience onkyo's are warm sounding. before i got my tx-sr702, i tried driving my floorstanders w/ an entry level pioneer 509. the sound was thin and  the receiver would go into protection mode everytime there was a loud scene. when i changed to the 702 bumilog ang tunog and the receiver never shut down even when i set all speakers to large.

the only problem is the 702 can run pretty hot. it never gave me any trouble pero nakakatakot lang dati when i kept it in a cabinet, the top of the receiver would become too hot to touch. ok na ngayon now that it's in an open rack but it can still run pretty warm. its even warmerthan my outboard amp even though i only use it as a prepro now

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #419 on: Mar 02, 2007 at 05:05 PM »
Yah, i totally agree with you... ;D Maybe i'll go for a mid level receiver.  Maybe HK340 (ooops! ;D this is an onkyo thread) I narrowed down my choices to Onkyo or HK paired with mission m52 for my 60/40 HT/music preference so less SARS just as you suggested...Thanks a lot Sir Matz...You made it easier for me to decide and make sound decisions that would prevent costly mistakes... ;D

My pleasure bro, I have made my own costly mistakes, learned from it & would not want this costly constant upgrading to happen to others. Thus I recommend here & there on getting a good receiver firsthand. Mahirap ang "bitin".

As much as the Onkyo I have in my bedroom is satisfactory as my secondary setup, I cranked it yesterday after reading your post. Hirap pa rin sya sa very demanding scenes. But that doesnt usually happen much as my 2ndary setup is for watching drama, old films or p***ted only ;D.

just wanted to share

in my experience onkyo's are warm sounding. before i got my tx-sr702, i tried driving my floorstanders w/ an entry level pioneer 509. the sound was thin and  the receiver would go into protection mode everytime there was a loud scene. when i changed to the 702 bumilog ang tunog and the receiver never shut down even when i set all speakers to large.

I so appreciate the sharing of experiences! This is my exact experience with entry level receivers & floorstanders, owned or auditioned. I notice that they tend to go bright on demanding scenes, maybe not enough juice? Thats what I have been sharing this often in these threads but....nm, wont speak na lang, other people's experience is affirmation enough. 

Thats why Onkyo surprised me with its warm sound even w/ its entry level model (used bookshelf speakers though).
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2007 at 04:51 PM by MAtZTER »