Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 539206 times)

Offline gearhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Onkyo SR705
« Reply #450 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 04:54 PM »
AVR i normally use the omni brand due to quieter operation and fair price for their higher wattage models.

Last i checked line conditioners don't adjust voltage( correct me if im wrong) so buying a line conditioner wouldn't solve my problem of providing enough wattage at 120 volts to my AVR.

ahhh.... yes. that would be the main problem. your avr is meant for the US market hence the 120V. i actually use the omni 1500W too. bought them for the price and the functional quality. features include multiple outputs, I/O voltmeters and selectable turn-on delay. you may want to place the avr in a location with proper ventilation. as it is, since you'll be using it for the 120V output, surely it will get a bit hot/warm. as a tweak, you may want to change the default cord that came with it. it's a little too thin for the watts supplied.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #451 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 11:03 AM »
ahhh.... yes. that would be the main problem. your avr is meant for the US market hence the 120V. i actually use the omni 1500W too. bought them for the price and the functional quality. features include multiple outputs, I/O voltmeters and selectable turn-on delay. you may want to place the avr in a location with proper ventilation. as it is, since you'll be using it for the 120V output, surely it will get a bit hot/warm. as a tweak, you may want to change the default cord that came with it. it's a little too thin for the watts supplied.

changing the cord would void warranty right..?

anyways, my current AVR and incoming AVR( both omni 1,500 watt) will be directly below the aircon.

currently, cooling-wise i'm more concerned about getting cool air to the receiver since my left speaker is blocking the aircon's path to the receiver.

On the topic on the receiver itself, any request for what to be tested or information on it?

its currently setup on 2 speaker mode, but i should get it to 5.0 mode by the weekend.

Hmmm.. no popping issues that i've noticed, but the delay of audio when switching sources and especially when switching between receiver menu and source is very noticeable.

when switching between the different I/O modes, audio inputs are not reassignable but video is reassignable.

I've only tested upconverting to HDMI with the component output of my wii(i presume it hasnt been upscaled yet). There were some graphical differences, but this is largely more attributed to the fact that the wii is now using my TV's dynamic mode on HDMI(video is processed by the TV) instead of the regular gaming mode I assigned for the component(only limited processing on tv).

I will probably have to find a setting that is consistently good or better yet, more accurate to assign to my HDMI port.

Note: THX recommends that you DON'T upconvert your analog signals into HDMI and it must be same out to same in. Meaning if your input on receiver is S-Video your output should be S-video to your TV or if input is component, output should be component.
Personally, i'd rather have less cable clutter and less possible interference than following THX rules on this and of course the expected upconverting artifacts.

I've noticed that the xvYCC color space(this is different from deep color, but usually comes with my it) setting for HDMI on the receiver does alter image/color quality, whether its accurate and better might be debate-able, but i personally prefer the resulting image... It looks much more vibrant.

I know my Samsung 32r81 supports this color space, but I have doubts my oppo 981hd supports this standard since its only HDMI 1.1a(xvYCC is part of HDMI 1.3)... so I'm still debating to myself if i should keep the setting for my DVD player from an "accuracy" perspective..

did some DTS demo DVD 8, 9, 10 tests, but since its still in stereo mode.. there arent much test i can do with the audio processing, since most require at least the surround speakers connected (4.0).
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2007 at 11:13 AM by allenwfc »
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline glacierfrost

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #452 on: Sep 09, 2007 at 02:49 PM »
allen ano gamit mo dating amp? enough ba yung power ng 705 for your evos? plan ko rin kasi magEvo speakers.

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #453 on: Sep 09, 2007 at 08:56 PM »
allen ano gamit mo dating amp? enough ba yung power ng 705 for your evos? plan ko rin kasi magEvo speakers.

wala me dating amp...
Dating speaker set ko is creative inspire...
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #454 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 03:43 PM »
Is Onkyo 705 using Burr Brown DACs? It is confusing to see that some sites says it's using burr brown and some sites says it's not  and the one using burr brown is the 805? ???
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 at 03:43 PM by threadlock »
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #455 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 03:58 PM »
changing the cord would void warranty right..?

anyways, my current AVR and incoming AVR( both omni 1,500 watt) will be directly below the aircon.

currently, cooling-wise i'm more concerned about getting cool air to the receiver since my left speaker is blocking the aircon's path to the receiver.

I am likewise using an Omni and most of my gears are 110 volts, hindi naman siya umiinit. Fyi
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 at 04:07 PM by vtec3 »

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #456 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 04:02 PM »
Is Onkyo 705 using Burr Brown DACs? It is confusing to see that some sites says it's using burr brown and some sites says it's not  and the one using burr brown is the 805? ???

based on onkyo's main website, the 705 are not specifically mentioned to use bur brown dac's

the way i'm reading this is they aren't guaranteed to use th brand name/model series, but it doesnt mean it doesn't either.
while the 805 is guaranteed to use it.

though Burr Brown is a good brand name, im sure what ever DAC's Onkyo uses for the mid and lower models will not compromiise their quality

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #457 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 04:04 PM »
I am likewise using an Omni AVR and most of my gears are 110 volts, hindi naman siya umiinit. Fyi

i reached situations on very hot days where the avr is quite warm to the touch, but is not a common occurance.

im just making most of my air flow on equipment placement, that why the AVR is near the aircon hehe

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #458 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 05:51 PM »

ONKYO 805 review

Take note of the gears of the reviewer, he still uses a power amp despite using an Onkyo 800

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #459 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 07:53 PM »

ONKYO 805 review

Take note of the gears of the reviewer, he still uses a power amp despite using an Onkyo 800

sir matz, I think it's because having power amp still has great benefit considering that Onkyo 805's power rating is two-channels driven as indicated in the ff. sites:
http://www.avland.co.uk/onkyo/txsr805/txsr805.htm
http://www.pcgiga.si/product_info.php?cPath=319_305&products_id=329&pcgigaid=201dbc98784c8369931aae30b8a8c092
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-886182.html

Onkyo-USA tech spec:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR805&p=s&class=Receiver

In my case, nauna na yung Bada 5-ch power amp, later na lang yung 805 kapag available na...   :D
Hay, ang hirap talaga kumpletohin ang mid-level setup  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 at 08:23 PM by threadlock »
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #460 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 10:08 PM »
o ano matt, 805 na???  ;D ;D

Offline kane

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #461 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 06:35 AM »
hi sir allen.  Meron ba option for automatic calibration?  Just like YPAO for yamahas.  Thanks!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #462 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 11:19 AM »
Hay, ang hirap talaga kumpletohin ang mid-level setup  ;D

Pero pag nakumpleto mo na, sobrang bihira na lang upgrade, cuz you got the best already. The next step (high end) is too expensive already & price difference is not justifiable (unless you got too much moolah). Whereas price difference from entry level to mid level is not that big ;)

Ok lang yung hirap. Kapag easy come, easy go (bilis pagsawaan). Pero pag pinaghirapan mas masarap i-enjoy yung setup mo!  ;)

o ano matt, 805 na???  ;D ;D

Duno yet, but I realized I really have to get a 220v version for independence from a voltage regulator.

I recently removed my voltage regulator (connected to power amp & receiver) & plugged my receiver directly to the designated "pre-amp" sockets (since I dont use the power section of the receiver) of my line conditioner and my power amp directly to the "amplifier" sockets of the LC and the sound was just astounding. The music was more open & mas focused yung image. Sakal tunog ng setup pala w/ a voltage regulator. I will try to experiment w/ voltage reg 1st b4 line conditioner soon. Hopefully results will be positive.

Also, considering I change gears so often, a 110v gear's resale value can also pose a problem.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2007 at 12:16 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #463 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 11:37 AM »
hi sir allen.  Meron ba option for automatic calibration?  Just like YPAO for yamahas.  Thanks!

yes there is :)

I just havent used it yet, cause i want to get my subs first before i use it.

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #464 on: Sep 18, 2007 at 05:00 PM »
Wala ba problem with fluctuating sound output kung 110-120 voltage ng amp even with a voltage regulator? Especially dito sa tin fluctuating ang electricity natin..  :) :) :)
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #465 on: Sep 18, 2007 at 06:12 PM »
Have an electrician to install separate 15amp circuit from your panel board for AV system.  ;D  :o
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #466 on: Sep 18, 2007 at 07:23 PM »
Wala ba problem with fluctuating sound output kung 110-120 voltage ng amp even with a voltage regulator? Especially dito sa tin fluctuating ang electricity natin..  :) :) :)

audio junkie's suggestion is good and and avr also helps :)

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #467 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 11:59 PM »
Super newbie question!

Finally managed to buy surround speakers for my 5 year old Onkyo 494. Excited pa naman ako to try the 5 channel speakers and finally listen to  DD/DTS audio. However, the only listening modes available to me right now is Pro Logic II - Movies and Pro Logic II - Music. Neither DD or DTS is available as an option.

After going over my manual, I'm taking this to mean that I'm not using the optical or coaxial cable to connect my DVD player to the receiver.

Am I on the right track?  Or have I not understood a thing in the manual?  ??? ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2007 at 12:00 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #468 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 09:09 AM »
tonedeaf, to enjoy both DD & DTS you must use either the optical or coaxial cable to connect DVD player & receiver (not unless you're using the direct 5.1 analog connections from your DVD player to the receiver).

Are you using one of these cables?
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2007 at 09:10 AM by pchin »

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #469 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 04:16 PM »
^i checked my AVR last night. it's just 2 wires. neither optical nor coaxial. ok. that must be the culprit. i've looked around for an affordable optical and coaxial cable just so i can test.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #470 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 05:12 PM »
^i checked my AVR last night. it's just 2 wires. neither optical nor coaxial. ok. that must be the culprit. i've looked around for an affordable optical and coaxial cable just so i can test.

From your DVD player, you should have a video cable (or cables) connected directly to your TV. The best is HDMI. Otherwise, component (3 cables) is the 2nd best. Third best is s-video.

In addition, your DVD player should have a single audio cable from the "Digital out" of the DVD player to the "Digital in" of your AVR. This will either be optical, coax or HDMI, but it doesn't really matter that much. In other words, you already have 2 cables connecting your DVD player to your AVR (probably "Analog out") so just pull out those cables and reconnect one of them to the "Digital" coax plugs. No need to buy new cables.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2007 at 10:24 PM by streetsmart »
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #471 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 10:32 PM »
@streetsmart,

i got it working na! i did buy optical fiber cable because the only digital outs/ins for audio in both my receiver and my dvd player is coaxial or optical.

i choose optical because it was the only cheap, pero di naman masyadong generic, digital cable available in true value kanina.  ;D holy crap the prices of those things pala (the branded ones i mean)  ;D ;D

anyway, back to topic, its the first time in 5 years that i've seen the dolby digital indicator light up in my onkyo 494. yey! now to look for one of them dts dvds.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #472 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 10:57 PM »
@streetsmart,

i got it working na! i did buy optical fiber cable because the only digital outs/ins for audio in both my receiver and my dvd player is coaxial or optical.

i choose optical because it was the only cheap, pero di naman masyadong generic, digital cable available in true value kanina.  ;D holy crap the prices of those things pala (the branded ones i mean)  ;D ;D

anyway, back to topic, its the first time in 5 years that i've seen the dolby digital indicator light up in my onkyo 494. yey! now to look for one of them dts dvds.

Now here's the reason why I only buy generic digital cables:  ;D

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=828972

I truly believe that unless the generic digital cable looks really cheap, it will have exactly the same quality as the *holy crap* branded ones.  ;D

And your next step is to balance the volumes of your speakers.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
ONKYO 705
« Reply #473 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 02:12 PM »
is this available here already?  san?

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: ONKYO 705
« Reply #474 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 02:15 PM »
November pa daw according to the distributor...
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #475 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 02:34 PM »
How about 605?
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #476 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 02:48 PM »
How about 605?

Onkyo 605, 705 and 805 will be available November daw.

Offline Trig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #477 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 03:21 PM »
Yung 605 available sa theaterworks

Offline yygoob

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked: