Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 536767 times)

Offline golti

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #600 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 11:12 PM »
how's the lip sync? does your unit have this issue? TIA for the feedback

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #601 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 05:44 AM »

Found no issue reg that one bro.  :)

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #602 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 06:02 AM »
sir,

how much po purchase ninyo sa 705?  Am also considering it lately.  Thanks.

danrd, how much is the damage? maybe time to upgrade as well.  ;D

How much?

??? ??? ???

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #603 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 10:07 AM »
SECRET ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #604 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 12:56 PM »

At first I thought this as well, but all you have to do is to adjust the lip sync to 0, & this problem will never bug you again.

The 705's sound will pause a second or two before it resumes when you skip a chapter (specially when I watch my demo disks). But if you read reviews in the net, this happens to ALL receivers with internal video processing. The audio needs a few seconds to catch up with the video thats being processed.

If you see the processed video, this minor setback is not really bothersome compared to the big improvement I saw with my video quality. I accept the tradeoff w/ no complaints.  :D
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2008 at 12:58 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #605 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 01:36 PM »
At first I thought this as well, but all you have to do is to adjust the lip sync to 0, & this problem will never bug you again.

The 705's sound will pause a second or two before it resumes when you skip a chapter (specially when I watch my demo disks). But if you read reviews in the net, this happens to ALL receivers with internal video processing. The audio needs a few seconds to catch up with the video thats being processed.

If you see the processed video, this minor setback is not really bothersome compared to the big improvement I saw with my video quality. I accept the tradeoff w/ no complaints.  :D

Mismo!  ;) It's day 3 and I really love what I hear each day. Haven't activated it's Audyssey yet and it Rocks already. Movies on default settings were way much better than my HK335. Love the audio quality on "all speaker mode".

Offline gallery

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Society Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #606 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 06:02 AM »
Haven't activated it's Audyssey yet and it Rocks already. Movies on default settings were way much better than my HK335.

I noticed that the default settings sound better compared to Audyssey settings. Its more crisp and clearer.
/ Onkyo 1100 / B&W 683 S2 / B&W 685 S2 / B&W HTM61 S2 / B&W ASW610XP /

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #607 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 08:48 AM »
I noticed that the default settings sound better compared to Audyssey settings. Its more crisp and clearer.

Same here bro. No matter what dsp I go, I find myself going back to defaults. I guess I'll need a little more time to know what's best for my setup.  :)

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #608 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 11:23 AM »
Btw, tried turning off its sub.  :o Pretty surprised how it still rocks. This is another proof that it is indeed powerful than my former avr.  :)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #609 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 11:48 AM »

Setting up Audyssey is actually simple but there are many rules you need to follow. There is a pretty comprehensive summary at the Onkyo 705 thread in AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12162481#post12162481

I am not sure what kind of mic is provided with the Onkyo models. If it is the one that looks like a puck (or big coin), you need to use a very light tripod.

There is a general consensus that once Audyssey is set up properly, it performs its job very well. It is actually a very sophisticated system.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline golti

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #610 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 01:19 PM »
does anybody know what the real power rating per channel is? just wan to know if they will not exceed the speakers that i have in mind for this AVR... assuming that I am able to save up for this avr before any new models come out.. hehehehehe

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #611 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 05:42 PM »
Setting up Audyssey is actually simple but there are many rules you need to follow. There is a pretty comprehensive summary at the Onkyo 705 thread in AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12162481#post12162481

I am not sure what kind of mic is provided with the Onkyo models. If it is the one that looks like a puck (or big coin), you need to use a very light tripod.

There is a general consensus that once Audyssey is set up properly, it performs its job very well. It is actually a very sophisticated system.

I sure hope it does Sir Mark. Its the first thing I'll do when I get my hands on the mic. Naiwan ko kasi sa shop eh.  ;D ;D Thanks for the tip.

does anybody know what the real power rating per channel is? just wan to know if they will not exceed the speakers that i have in mind for this AVR... assuming that I am able to save up for this avr before any new models come out.. hehehehehe

First things first. What speakers will you use?

Offline golti

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #612 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 07:24 PM »
ooopss forgot to mention that....

this is my idea:

fronts: diamond 9.4 or 9.5
center: diamond 9.CS
surrounds: diamond 9.DFS

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #613 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 07:57 AM »
ooopss forgot to mention that....

this is my idea:

fronts: diamond 9.4 or 9.5
center: diamond 9.CS

The 705 will be more than enough to drive those. Mas maganda kung ganito:

fronts: diamond 9.6
center: diamond 9.CM

Then buy an accurate sub like velodyne kahit 10r lang oks na.  ;)

Offline golti

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #614 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 09:09 AM »
The 705 will be more than enough to drive those. Mas maganda kung ganito:

fronts: diamond 9.6
center: diamond 9.CM

Then buy an accurate sub like velodyne kahit 10r lang oks na.  ;)

ic... thanx for the tip.. just for clarification, when you say more than enough.. that does not mean my proposed speaker set up cannot handle the 705? but it would be better if i get the better speakers (9.6 and 9.CM)?

im thinking of getting the 9.5, coz the price diff of the 9.6 and 9.5 is quite big, compared to the price diff of the 9.4 and 9.5.... as for the center, i think i can strech the budget for the CM as long as it's ok to pair the CM w/ the 9.5

kelangan ko ata mag-ipon lang ng mas matagal hehehehe

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #615 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 09:28 AM »

Woohoo!!! Congrats Dan on your new toy!!!
Hehehehe Compared w/ the specs of this baby,
my 701....is ancient!!!
 ;D
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #616 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 03:04 PM »
ic... thanx for the tip.. just for clarification, when you say more than enough.. that does not mean my proposed speaker set up cannot handle the 705? but it would be better if i get the better speakers (9.6 and 9.CM)?

im thinking of getting the 9.5, coz the price diff of the 9.6 and 9.5 is quite big, compared to the price diff of the 9.4 and 9.5.... as for the center, i think i can strech the budget for the CM as long as it's ok to pair the CM w/ the 9.5

If it was me ok na yung 9.5's. They say that the 9.6's are harder to drive. Though a 705 will drive it enough, I am sure it will be easier to drive the 9.5's. I have a magazine that reviewed the 9.6 and they used higher model AVR's for it. Besides, if your room is not that big, those 8in woofers might prove to be too much.

The manual states 100wpc 2 channels driven. If I remember correctly, a higher model Onkyo 80* (not the THX ultra 805 I guess) yields about 50wpc all channels driven. You dont need to worry if it exceeds the speaker's ratings unless you crank it up to ear shattering levels.

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #617 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 03:19 PM »
If it was me ok na yung 9.5's. They say that the 9.6's are harder to drive. Though a 705 will drive it enough, I am sure it will be easier to drive the 9.5's. I have a magazine that reviewed the 9.6 and they used higher model AVR's for it. Besides, if your room is not that big, those 8in woofers might prove to be too much.

The manual states 100wpc 2 channels driven. If I remember correctly, a higher model Onkyo 80* (not the THX ultra 805 I guess) yields about 50wpc all channels driven. You dont need to worry if it exceeds the speaker's ratings unless you crank it up to ear shattering levels.

I was actually making a "upgrade proof suggestion" pre.  ;D ;D After all, every SARS victim goes for more power right?  ;D ;D

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #618 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 03:23 PM »
Woohoo!!! Congrats Dan on your new toy!!!
Hehehehe Compared w/ the specs of this baby,
my 701....is ancient!!!
 ;D

Thanks Doc. It's really worth it. I'm actually starting to appreciate its "musicality" aside from its outstanding HT performance. I hear details inaudible before.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #619 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 03:27 PM »
I was actually making a "upgrade proof suggestion" pre.  ;D ;D After all, every SARS victim goes for more power right?  ;D ;D

If it was me lang naman pre.

Reason is I also am conscious with the size difference of the fronts to the surrounds.

I recently installed a setup for my uncle. His B&W mains were so huge, I really had difficulty matching the tone to the smaller surrounds. I realized bigger is not always or necessarily better in this hobby.

I ended up setting the huge fronts to "SMALL".  :(

Thus my suggestion.  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2008 at 04:06 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #620 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 03:51 PM »
If it was me lang naman Pre.

Reason is I also am conscious with the size difference of the fronts to the surrounds.

I recently installed a setup for my uncle. His B&W mains were so huge, I really had difficulty matching the tone to the smaller surrounds. I realized bigger is not always or necessarily better in this hobby.

Thus my suggestion.  :)

If it was me fronts 9.2 lang paired with 9cm and 9dfs+9.1 plus 12" velo for 7.1 setup

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #621 on: Mar 08, 2008 at 07:59 AM »
Ther you go Golti. Three different perspectives for you to choose from. Try and consider also your room size and proper acoustics which I poorly have btw.  ;)

Offline golti

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #622 on: Mar 08, 2008 at 11:42 AM »
the more options the better... thanx guys

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #623 on: Mar 08, 2008 at 02:55 PM »
Read in cnet that the Onkyo 604 cannot output analog sources through its HDMI. Does this mean I should connect my analog sources directly to my TV?

Is the version of 604's HDMI 1.3 already? What the difference of ver1.3 and lower version/s?

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #624 on: Mar 08, 2008 at 08:49 PM »
Found out that the 604 have HDMI ver1.1 only. So what have I got to lose if I get this one instead of AVRs with HDMI 1.3?

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #625 on: Mar 09, 2008 at 03:19 PM »
Thanks Doc. It's really worth it. I'm actually starting to appreciate its "musicality" aside from its outstanding HT performance. I hear details inaudible before.
Yup! very musical talaga onkyo! I am also enjoying listening to CDs like "Audiophile CD" collection and rediscovering analog....Ive' recently added a technics TT to my setup ;D ;D ;D
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #626 on: Mar 09, 2008 at 03:20 PM »
Found out that the 604 have HDMI ver1.1 only. So what have I got to lose if I get this one instead of AVRs with HDMI 1.3?

HDMI 1.3

Released 22 June 2006.[7][8]

* Increases single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbit/s)
    * Optionally supports 30-bit, 36-bit, and 48-bit xvYCC with Deep Color or over one billion colors, up from 24-bit sRGB or YCbCr in previous versions.
    * Incorporates automatic audio syncing (Audio video sync) capability.
    * Optionally supports output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio streams for external decoding by AV receivers.[9] TrueHD and DTS-HD are lossless audio codec formats used on Blu-ray Discs and HD DVDs. If the disc player can decode these streams into uncompressed audio, then HDMI 1.3 is not necessary, as all versions of HDMI can transport uncompressed audio.
    * Availability of a new mini connector for devices such as camcorders.[10]

HDMI 1.3a

Released 10 November 2006

* Cable and Sink modifications for Type C
    * Source termination recommendation
    * Removed undershoot and maximum rise/fall time limits.
    * CEC capacitance limits changed
    * RGB video quantization range clarification
    * CEC commands for timer control brought back in an altered form, audio control commands added.
    * Concurrently released compliance test specification included.
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline DonT

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #627 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 12:32 PM »
Theres a TX NR 801E for sale in the local audio store here. I reckon, its a new 'old' stock due to the model number. Its for sale at 29,400 pesos. What do you guys advice? Is it better to buy older higher spec than new lower spec? At current prices, I think the 60x series are within this range.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #628 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 01:21 PM »
Theres a TX NR 801E for sale in the local audio store here. I reckon, its a new 'old' stock due to the model number. Its for sale at 29,400 pesos. What do you guys advice? Is it better to buy older higher spec than new lower spec? At current prices, I think the 60x series are within this range.

If you are really on a budget and you like to play your HT LOUD (like me) then I would still suggest the (NOS) older higher spec. If you dont need the HDMI of the 60x or whatever new features, these older but more powerful receivers can really perform their duties better than a new AVR of lower spec. Its harder to be "bitin" with an NOS 801 than a new 604.

But if you can afford it, the newer Onkyo 7 & 8 series are really good. I just got my 875 this week and all I can say is  :o :o :o
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2008 at 02:22 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #629 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 04:08 PM »
Goodbye Onkyo 705, hello to my new pre/pro:

at 60 lbs, I agree!!!  ;D

My subjective review of the 875: