Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 539412 times)

Offline gallery

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Society Of Sound
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Onkyo SR705
« Reply #630 on: Mar 23, 2008 at 09:52 AM »
Any suggestion on what the best crossover speaker level in the Onkyo 705. I set everything to 80Hz(THX) since i only use it for Home Theater.

Sub: 80Hz(THX)
Front: 80Hz(THX)
Center: 80Hz(THX)
Surround: 80Hz(THX)

/ Onkyo 1100 / B&W 683 S2 / B&W 685 S2 / B&W HTM61 S2 / B&W ASW610XP /

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #631 on: Mar 24, 2008 at 11:22 AM »
Any suggestion on what the best crossover speaker level in the Onkyo 705. I set everything to 80Hz(THX) since i only use it for Home Theater.

80hz should be fine. It will leave the bass (80hz below) to your subwoofer. Since bass eats up a lot of wattage, it would be best to leave it to your sub for more dynamic headroom for your receiver.

oo nga sir matz paki explain nga ung mga nakita mong flaws. anu ba ung lip sync?

The lip sync issue is not a biggie. All you have to do is set the lip sync to zero and it will never bug you again. I just wondered why the factory default was set to 30ms.

Yes, plus when I forward/skip the multiple chapters of the demo disks, there is a pause in the sound before it resumes, some 1-2 secs.

Almost never had any of these issues with my previous receivers.

I read some reviews late and apparantly ALL receivers with video processing has this pause. for the excellent PQ of the 705 on my 720p PJ, its a worthwhile sacrifice I am willing to take.  :)

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #632 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 03:03 PM »
Onkyo TX-SA606X: The New Onkyo AV Amplifier with VIERA Link, AQUOS, and REGZA

Many of you have heard of the Viera Link, AQUOS (Sharp), and REGZA (Toshiba) system that allows you to control any of these devices with one remote...

Things are a little different today as these manufacturers understand the importance of being open. Behold the very first fully compatible Viera Link (or AQUOS/REGZA equivalent) Onkyo AV amplifier on the market!

Our AV amplifier is of course compatible with Dolby NRs True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio, supports x.v.Color, has a 1.3a HDMI port, and offers a generous 185Wx7ch at 6Ω.

link
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2008 at 03:04 PM by predator »

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #633 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 03:48 PM »
Anyone interested Onkyo 605 black series on sale? ;)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #634 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 04:02 PM »
Onkyo TX-SA606X: The New Onkyo AV Amplifier with VIERA Link, AQUOS, and REGZA

link

wow, dipa umiinit yung 605 may 606 na!   :D ;D :D

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #635 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 05:57 PM »
wow, dipa umiinit yung 605 may 606 na!   :D ;D :D

meron na din 506 at 576 ;D

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #636 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 08:23 PM »
meron na din 506 at 576 ;D
Ganun talaga parang pc na ang ht equipment nowadays. ;)

Offline glacierfrost

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #637 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 03:43 PM »
Anyone using the 705 for karaoke dvd? I tried using it but the audio seems delayed. What dsp should I use? The best result is if I choose "direct" in the dsp, but there is still noticeable delay. Tried all the dsps and even changed out the bad singer (mainly me) but still no good. ;D I've tried using my t-amp and another set of speakers to make sure it is not the dvd player's fault.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2008 at 03:56 PM by glacierfrost »

Offline glacierfrost

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #638 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 04:12 PM »
Do you guys use audyssey? I use it to calibrate my system but I find my sub sounds weak with the calibration. My sub is hsu research vtf-2 mk3. Maybe I'm missing something? Audyssey set my fronts and center as full and my surround as 70hz.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2008 at 04:17 PM by glacierfrost »

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #639 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 04:38 PM »
Do you guys use audyssey? I use it to calibrate my system but I find my sub sounds weak with the calibration. My sub is hsu research vtf-2 mk3. Maybe I'm missing something? Audyssey set my fronts and center as full and my surround as 70hz.

just bump up your sub's db on the receiver. audyssey always set my sub to -12db everytime i run it then i increase it to my liking. my receiver is a denon 2308 though but i guess they share the same audyssey feature.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #640 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 04:40 PM »
My experience with the 705 is that the audyssey settings needed a few tweaks here & there. I adjusted my sub & center volume. The 705 review also mentioned this as one of the things he didnt like about the 705.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #641 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 07:45 PM »

Its not Audyssey that sets the fronts and center to full. It is the receiver that makes that decision.

Just set the fronts and center as not "Full range" and crossover at 80 hz. Also set "Double Bass" off. Your bass will improve a lot.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Onkyo SRXX6 Series out
« Reply #642 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 09:14 AM »
Note: 706 and up will take longer to arrive as usual and SRP appear to be higher now:
SR606:
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/others/0,39037618,42835232p,00.htm
Basically adds better video upscaler chip (up 1080i) and 2 HDMI ports.
slightly higher watt/power?? some sites say 140
new remote
potentialy more mature firmware
SR506:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR506&class=Receiver&p=i

SR576:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR576&class=Receiver&p=i

« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2008 at 09:27 AM by allenwfc »
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline glacierfrost

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #643 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 09:35 AM »
Ok thanks for the inputs I will try it out later.

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #644 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 02:40 PM »
FYI...may warning sa avs forum re bitstreaming dts ma using onkyo and yamaha receivers--can damage speakers daw :o

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008620

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #645 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 03:06 PM »
FYI...may warning sa avs forum re bitstreaming dts ma using onkyo and yamaha receivers--can damage speakers daw :o

im a little hazy on details... but the SR705 doesnt support bit stream DTS MA.. right?
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #646 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 03:11 PM »
im a little hazy on details... but the SR705 doesnt support bit stream DTS MA.. right?

DTS MA  is supported by SR705..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #647 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 03:27 PM »

How should i set the onboard controls on my sub?

Set the sub's phase as per manufacturer recommendations.
Set the sub's crossover as high as it goes (so only the receiver's sub crossover comes into play)
Set the sub's volume/gain control to halfway or less. After running Audyssey setup if the receiver has too much negative or positive level trim on the sub channel, you may want to re-adjust the sub's on board gain and re-run audyssey. The aim is to have the sub channel's speaker level on the onkyo around the same range as the other channels (ie if the onkyo has set the sub to +10 you know you must have the on board gain set too low and vice versa)

TOP 10 ONKYO RECEIVER SETUP MISTAKES

7. Improperly setting the volume knob on your subwoofer before running Audyssey
Powered subwoofers always have a volume knob on the back. There's some leeway on where that volume knob gets set, but you'll have problems if it's too low or too high. The best way to set it initially is with a Radio Shack sound level meter. On the Speaker Setup/Level Calibration screen on your Onkyo, set the Subwoofer level to about -3.0dB and set the volume knob on your sub about 1/3 the way up. Then play the internal subwoofer test tone from your Onkyo. While the tone is playing, measure the sound level from your preferred seating position and adjust the volume knob on your sub until the Radio Shack meter reads 75dB. This is easier to do with two people. If you don't have a Radio Shack meter and don't want to get one, read the manual that came with your subwoofer and see what they recommend for the volume knob setting. You can also play some music and listen to some movies and adjust it by ear until it sounds natural.

If you get it about right, after you run Audyssey the Level Calibration for your subwoofer will be within a range from about -3.0dB to +3.0dB. If it's much below -3.0dB, turn the volume knob down a little on your subwoofer and run Audyssey again. Likewise, if it's much over 3.0dB, you have the volume knob on your subwoofer set too low. Turn it up and run Audyssey again.

If you like to run your subwoofer louder than the 75dB level and your Level Calibration is less than 0dB, increase the Level Calibration on your receiver a couple dB. On the other hand, if you want your subwoofer louder than the 75dB level and the Level Calibration is greater than 0dB, turn the volume knob on your sub up a little bit.

If the subwoofer Level Calibration is way off in either direction it can result in distortion. Also if it's too low and your subwoofer has an auto on/off feature, your sub may not come on except during especially loud special effects.

Make sure you read the manual that came with your subwoofer and if their recommendations differ from this, use the manufacturer's recommendations.

... This is from AVSforum thread on Onkyo 705 ...
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2008 at 03:51 PM by oReOsHaKe »
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #648 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 03:49 PM »
DTS MA  is supported by SR705..

ohhh ok, guess ill have to watch out when i start watching blu-ray movies then

Offline JAQY888

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #649 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 09:46 PM »
ohhh ok, guess ill have to watch out when i start watching blu-ray movies then

AVS Forum listed a few titles which caused the "problem" due to DTS MA, thus:

1408 (BD import)
-Golden Compass (review copy)
-The Fly (BD) time-13:00
-Chronos (BD) time-38:52
-Fantastic Four (BD) time-4:22
-Hannibal Rising (HD DVD)
-Close Encounters of the Third Kind (BD)
-Eagles Fairwell Concert (HD DVD) time-23:40
-Master and Commander (BD import) time-17:24
-Flight of the Phoenix (BD) time-51:00
-Flyboys (BD)

**note** There are certainly other titles that have not been discovered yet.

Further caveat: TEST AT UR OWN RISK !!!
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline deafears

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #650 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM »
Goodbye Onkyo 705, hello to my new pre/pro:

[at 60 lbs, I agree!!!  ;D

My subjective review of the 875:

Hi Matzer..Congrats on your new AVR.  Available na ba to locally.  What store did you get if from and if you don't mind, magkano po ang kuha nyo?

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #651 on: Mar 29, 2008 at 07:46 AM »

Thanks for the info.

The problem is very serious. When you send a DTS-MA bitstream of certain titles to Onkyo or Yamaha receivers, you can have a huge *bang* on your speakers. The *bang* is supposed to be similar to a high-powered gunshot. This problem destroyed 3 speakers of a reviewer of HT Magazine.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #652 on: Mar 29, 2008 at 12:53 PM »
SGT & Sights & Sounds has this sir. Ask them for the price. But as I know, it was out of stock right away.

After I heard it perform, I now know why. I still get goosebumps till now (watched Drumline this AM). 

Offline southpeak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
« Reply #653 on: Mar 29, 2008 at 03:44 PM »
If you are really on a budget and you like to play your HT LOUD (like me) then I would still suggest the (NOS) older higher spec. If you dont need the HDMI of the 60x or whatever new features, these older but more powerful receivers can really perform their duties better than a new AVR of lower spec. Its harder to be "bitin" with an NOS 801 than a new 604.

this is exactly the reason why "sometimes" good things come to those who are in a budget and have the patience to wait. especially when something like this comes along and its with in your budget.  ;D

TX-NR900
http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/product_info/pdf/tx-nr900_leaflet.pdf

now i know what its all about. my first Onkyo and i must agree, it shines, BIG TIME..   8) :o

« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2008 at 09:12 PM by southpeak »

Offline Toquero

• Collector
  • I'm mastah !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #654 on: Mar 29, 2008 at 06:10 PM »
this is exactly the reason why "sometimes" good things come to those who are in a budget and have the patience to wait. especially when something like this comes along and its with in your budget.  ;D

TX-NR900

now i know what its all about. my first Onkyo and i must agree, it shines, BIG TIME..   8) :o

Congrats on your purchase. BTW is the one that SGT is selling?.... if it is  bang for the buck ito.  ;) ;)
HK2550/Denon DVD3800 /B&W603/LCR60/CHT 10-R/DM303

Offline southpeak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
« Reply #655 on: Mar 30, 2008 at 08:14 AM »
Congrats on your purchase. BTW is the one that SGT is selling?.... if it is  bang for the buck ito.  ;) ;)

thank you sir Toquero. and yes, from SGT.. nice fellow, sonny..  :)
based on its specs and actual condition, yes i totally agree, its bang for the buck. a LOUD BANG at that  ;D

Offline Toquero

• Collector
  • I'm mastah !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #656 on: Mar 30, 2008 at 09:12 PM »
thank you sir Toquero. and yes, from SGT.. nice fellow, sonny..  :)
based on its specs and actual condition, yes i totally agree, its bang for the buck. a LOUD BANG at that  ;D

Just as I've thought... I actually aquire it's partner dvd player (dvd2900). The reciever was offered to me by Butch before posting it at the forum and I said let the others enjoy the hobby since I've already had one too (THX din  ;D ;D) Enjoy your new gear btw what speakers will it be connected to... Just curious
HK2550/Denon DVD3800 /B&W603/LCR60/CHT 10-R/DM303

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #657 on: Mar 31, 2008 at 11:13 AM »

TX-NR900

Congrats sir! I saw that at SGT & thought that the guy who gets this steal of a receiver will be one lucky dude! And its you! Congrats lucky dude!  ;)

The higher echelon of Onkyo's really do not dissapoint, not even in HT.

Offline Trig

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #658 on: Mar 31, 2008 at 05:06 PM »
Mga experts, Ano po masOk, Onkyo 705 or  Denon 2308?

Thanks

Offline tambutsoo

• Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #659 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 03:59 PM »

TX-NR900

magkano score mo nito bro? i seen in HK magazine  ang  Onkyo TX-NR905  nasa 79k pesos

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/av_components/av_receivers/tx-nr905/index.html
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2008 at 04:09 PM by tambutsoo »