Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 537600 times)

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #870 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 10:12 AM »
For Asian Version Onkyo 705, where can we download the latest firmware upgrade? 
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #871 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 11:13 AM »
gentlemen, how about the 805 model?  are there upgrades available already, if so where can this be had?  thanks!
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline leomar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #872 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 11:22 AM »
i have heard na paradigm and denon & paradigm and yamaha but not paradigm and onkyo. heard this when i was suditioning for a new speaker. sounds ok on both receiver. nagtataka nga ako why with two different seller of paradigm both stores did not pair the speakers with onkyo.

onkyo and mission ok, that is what i have  ;)

thanks for the feedback sir  ;D

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #873 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 11:56 AM »

i read somewhere in the forum that the firmwares are region independent... but medyo matrabaho ang fw upgrade ng onkyo.. you need to download the firmware, burn in over a cd then use toslink... i tried to upgrade my 605 coz i thought as was afraid of the popping issue, but when i checked the fw, its the latest and current pala...

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #874 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 12:02 PM »
i read somewhere in the forum that the firmwares are region independent... but medyo matrabaho ang fw upgrade ng onkyo.. you need to download the firmware, burn in over a cd then use toslink... i tried to upgrade my 605 coz i thought as was afraid of the popping issue, but when i checked the fw, its the latest and current pala...

I have inquired with the dealer where I bought the unit and he said I have to send the unit to them for firmware upgrade.  Why is it in the US and Europe, owners of Onkyo AVRs can just download the firmware and upgrade their units themselves.  Dito, kailangan pa ipadala sa dealer.  Ok lang sana kung taga Manila ako.  How about yong mga taga Mindanao and Visayas na nakabili ng units nila sa Manila.
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #875 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 12:19 PM »
I have inquired with the dealer where I bought the unit and he said I have to send the unit to them for firmware upgrade.  Why is it in the US and Europe, owners of Onkyo AVRs can just download the firmware and upgrade their units themselves.  Dito, kailangan pa ipadala sa dealer.  Ok lang sana kung taga Manila ako.  How about yong mga taga Mindanao and Visayas na nakabili ng units nila sa Manila.

actually, yan din ang peeve ng mga taga US and EU... all onkyos should be sent to send it to authorized service centers... im not sure if their official website has this support for self upgrading of fw... parang nakasulat dun is carry in option lang talaga e, but i chanced upon some other forum that they were able to obtain a cd of the firmware.. kasi sa EU naman you have the option to DIY... so some guy uploaded the cd image EU FW to the interweb, then some guy tested it in his US onkyo.. and since it worked, so somewhere in the interweb are fws of onkyo and a howto on how to DIY.. kaya lang i dunno kung mavovoid ang warranty ng local natin dito if you DIY..

Offline JAQY888

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #876 on: Jul 19, 2008 at 10:19 AM »
ONKYO REVEALS NEW INTEGRA AMPLIFIER ---  THE Integra DHC-9.9

Onkyo Japan has announced the DHC-9.9 which is a part of its high-end 'Integra' brand. To be sold at exclusive Integra outlets throughout Japan the amplifier comes with adequate HDMI 1.3 ports, support for THX Ultra 2 Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD encoding and 1080/24p image input. The amp supports HDMI CEC function of Viera, Sharp Aquous, Toshiba Regza and other popular brands which allows the amp to be controlled from the TV's remote itself. Specs include HQV video processor, VLSC circuit technology for increased sound quality and the newly developed WRAT technology which removes pulse characteristic noise.

The Onkyo Integra DHC-9.9 measures 435/444/194mm, weighs 13.1 kg and will be available in September this year.

Price is 231,000 Yen ($ 2300)  :o :o :o

http://www.electronicsinfoline.com/News/New_Gadgets/Audio_and_Video/onkyo-integra-dhc-99-amplifier-packs-a-punch.html
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #877 on: Jul 19, 2008 at 01:22 PM »
ONKYO REVEALS NEW INTEGRA AMPLIFIER ---  THE Integra DHC-9.9

Onkyo Japan has announced the DHC-9.9 which is a part of its high-end 'Integra' brand. To be sold at exclusive Integra outlets throughout Japan the amplifier comes with adequate HDMI 1.3 ports, support for THX Ultra 2 Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD encoding and 1080/24p image input. The amp supports HDMI CEC function of Viera, Sharp Aquous, Toshiba Regza and other popular brands which allows the amp to be controlled from the TV's remote itself. Specs include HQV video processor, VLSC circuit technology for increased sound quality and the newly developed WRAT technology which removes pulse characteristic noise.

The Onkyo Integra DHC-9.9 measures 435/444/194mm, weighs 13.1 kg and will be available in September this year.

Price is 231,000 Yen ($ 2300)  :o :o :o

http://www.electronicsinfoline.com/News/New_Gadgets/Audio_and_Video/onkyo-integra-dhc-99-amplifier-packs-a-punch.html

ganda naman nito, gun metal gray pa ang kulay. ganda din presyo attorney.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #878 on: Jul 20, 2008 at 01:16 AM »
oh my gulay!  just when i thought i upgraded!  sigh!  :'(   :(
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #879 on: Jul 20, 2008 at 04:22 PM »
I just got my new Onkyo 606.  Everything is great, until I noticed that there's a popping sound whenever I switch sources (dvd, game, cd).  It also happens when I pause, skip and stop during dvd playback.  Although it's not that loud, I guess it's still annoying since I posted this concern here  :).  To all new Onkyo user (605, 705, 805 and 875) do you also experience this? Is it just normal to have that popping sound?

One more thing, my avr also produces the mysterious "hum" when you pause during movie playback and when volume is set to above 50.  But that doesn't bother since I don't pause and increase the volume, can't see the point there. 

Thanks in advance, hopefully someone replies  :)

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #880 on: Jul 20, 2008 at 07:43 PM »
I just got my new Onkyo 606.  Everything is great, until I noticed that there's a popping sound whenever I switch sources (dvd, game, cd).  It also happens when I pause, skip and stop during dvd playback.  Although it's not that loud, I guess it's still annoying since I posted this concern here  :).  To all new Onkyo user (605, 705, 805 and 875) do you also experience this? Is it just normal to have that popping sound?

One more thing, my avr also produces the mysterious "hum" when you pause during movie playback and when volume is set to above 50.  But that doesn't bother since I don't pause and increase the volume, can't see the point there. 

Thanks in advance, hopefully someone replies  :)
I have a 605 that im using for 2 months now, i never experience that popping or humming sound whenever I pause, switch, etc... There's a slight delays in switching sources e.g from dvd to PS3 which turns my screen into green, its maybe because it detects the signal thru the hdmi.  ;D

Offline ruth2art

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #881 on: Jul 20, 2008 at 10:40 PM »
Same here. Been using my 606 for two weeks and never encountered any popping sound.
Best to contact the store where you bought it and let them now as early as possible. I'm sure
they will be able to help.
"There is always, always, always something to be thankful for."

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #882 on: Jul 21, 2008 at 12:04 AM »
Actually i can only hear d pop when I put my ears close to the speaker, normal listening position wala naman. 

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #883 on: Jul 21, 2008 at 12:07 AM »
I have another question, does it automatically upscale to 1080i? I hooked up my htpc and it outputs 720p, my new dvd outputs 1080p.

how does it upscale to 1080i? do I need to change some settings in my receiver? or my pc setup?

TIA

Offline kulimo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #884 on: Jul 21, 2008 at 12:28 AM »
I have another question, does it automatically upscale to 1080i? I hooked up my htpc and it outputs 720p, my new dvd outputs 1080p.

how does it upscale to 1080i? do I need to change some settings in my receiver? or my pc setup?

TIA

Most of the (up)scalers in AVRs in the price range of the 606 do not proccess signals if it is 720p and up already and most (if not all) does not do it at all on HDMI inputs.  It works only on 480i/p and 576 i/p and on analog inputs only. 

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #885 on: Jul 21, 2008 at 12:36 AM »
Most of the (up)scalers in AVRs in the price range of the 606 do not proccess signals if it is 720p and up already and most (if not all) does not do it at all on HDMI inputs.  It works only on 480i/p and 576 i/p and on analog inputs only. 

It says on their website that it upscales upto 1080i.

Offline kulimo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #886 on: Jul 21, 2008 at 12:42 AM »
It says on their website that it upscales upto 1080i.

On analog inputs only and not 720p signal.  Visit avsforum.com there is a thread for 606 owners.  it is discussed there in detail.

Offline don

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #887 on: Jul 21, 2008 at 12:32 PM »

bro, check this out  ;D

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016297

not sure if it works and if it's safe though.. merung naka-list diyan na 705.  ;)

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #888 on: Jul 21, 2008 at 01:23 PM »
bro, check this out  ;D

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016297

not sure if it works and if it's safe though.. merung naka-list diyan na 705.  ;)

actually, eto yung sa 705.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=935808

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #889 on: Jul 21, 2008 at 09:57 PM »
I have a question about my 606, is it normal that the PIIx is always lit when playing dolby digital?  it only goes away when source is played on DTS.

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #890 on: Jul 21, 2008 at 10:01 PM »
check on the listening preference preset, baka naka-set sa PLIIx whenever a DD signal is detected.

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #891 on: Jul 21, 2008 at 11:46 PM »
check on the listening preference preset, baka naka-set sa PLIIx whenever a DD signal is detected.

How do I check that? or how do I disable that so it defaults to DD?

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #892 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 12:51 AM »
It seems that when I setup my DVD to play either DD or DTs it defaults to PLIIx for DD and DTS Neo:6 for DTS.  I changed the listening preference and when it's already assigned to DD and DTS the rear speakers doesn't seem to work.   Am I missing something here?

Pls. help.

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #893 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 12:59 AM »
It seems that when I setup my DVD to play either DD or DTs it defaults to PLIIx for DD and DTS Neo:6 for DTS.  I changed the listening preference and when it's already assigned to DD and DTS the rear speakers doesn't seem to work.   Am I missing something here?

Pls. help.

Rear speakers will work only if you're using DSPs that has the ability to matrix: Dolby Prologic IIx (PLIIx), THX Surround EX, Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES Matrix

On the Onkyo 705 not all of these DSP's are available for all users. If you have a 7.1 speaker setup ALL DSP's are available to you and enabled in all source scenarios. If you own 6.1 or 5.1 setup, less and less DSP's become available.

Each of these matrix DSP's listed above have similar ways of using cross-channel encoding to create the back surround channel audio. These do not become true discrete channels they are for lack of a better term "fake". Many people here on forums prefer PLIIx Movie just because it gives a nice clean balance sound. People who use 6 channel setups can only access PLIIx Movie if the source audio is 2 channels, with 5.1 sources its not. This doesn't have to be the "go to" DSP though so don't feel left out if you have a 6 channel setup there are still other matrix-ing DSP's available to 6 channel users (all of the other ones listed above).

From AVSforum.com

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #894 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 01:03 AM »
Rear speakers will work only if you're using DSPs that has the ability to matrix: Dolby Prologic IIx (PLIIx), THX Surround EX, Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES Matrix

On the Onkyo 705 not all of these DSP's are available for all users. If you have a 7.1 speaker setup ALL DSP's are available to you and enabled in all source scenarios. If you own 6.1 or 5.1 setup, less and less DSP's become available.

Each of these matrix DSP's listed above have similar ways of using cross-channel encoding to create the back surround channel audio. These do not become true discrete channels they are for lack of a better term "fake". Many people here on forums prefer PLIIx Movie just because it gives a nice clean balance sound. People who use 6 channel setups can only access PLIIx Movie if the source audio is 2 channels, with 5.1 sources its not. This doesn't have to be the "go to" DSP though so don't feel left out if you have a 6 channel setup there are still other matrix-ing DSP's available to 6 channel users (all of the other ones listed above).

From AVSforum.com

So sir, you're saying that for DD it's normal to be outputed as DD PXII while for DTS it's DTS NEO:6?  But how come when I select stereo, it still outputs on all speakers and not just the fronts?

Do I still need to change something in the listening preferences or just leave it as deault (Last Valid)?
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2008 at 01:05 AM by busabos »

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #895 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 01:08 AM »

Pls. help.

Did you run the Audyssey setup?

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #896 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 01:10 AM »
Did you run the Audyssey setup?

No I did not, just manually configured everything.  Do I need to run that?

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #897 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 01:16 AM »

Try running Audyssey.. But you can always choose the DSP that suits you.  If you have a 7.1 setup, use the DSP that can matrix 5.1 audio to 7.1.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2008 at 01:16 AM by oReOsHaKe »

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #898 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 01:41 AM »

is your system a 5.1 or a 7.1? yung nag setup ako with my 5.1 i mistakenly put my surround speakers into the rear surround posts of the 606  ::) lols kaya laking gulat ako pag run sa Audyssey bat ang daming speaker error lols

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #899 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 02:10 AM »
is your system a 5.1 or a 7.1? yung nag setup ako with my 5.1 i mistakenly put my surround speakers into the rear surround posts of the 606  ::) lols kaya laking gulat ako pag run sa Audyssey bat ang daming speaker error lols

5.1 lang, I think I know where the problem is.  I connected my rear speakers sa surround back instead of surround.