Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 536696 times)

Offline samlowry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: onkyo 606
« Reply #1050 on: Nov 07, 2008 at 09:14 PM »
who carries the 876 here in the philippines and how much does it go for?  thanks
Panasonic 58pz800u and BD55
Onkyo 876
Ps3/Xbox360
Dynaudio 6.1

Offline Geren

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1051 on: Nov 08, 2008 at 04:58 PM »
This is my first integrated receiver (previously had 3 stereos connected to 5.1 channel outputs of my generic dvd player. The power is more than adequate for my bedroom. Though not a true blue audiophile here is my experience.

For music, i fall asleep when listening to Susan Wong at pretty loud volume. Watching movies keeps me awake and smiling knowing i made the right choice. Price wise and Quality wise. Considered a higher model w/ preouts but the price difference is too much for me, and that may probably lead me to buying other gears(tubes, et. al) and never be content with what i already have.  :)
You are infected by SARS!
Denial is a symptom of addiction.
Resistance is futile!!!

Offline teemto

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1052 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 12:33 PM »
i used the onkyo with my old Z-5500 speakers, using the sub connected to the amps' pre-out, and I must say, the sound is a revelation! after having calibrated the amp using the included calibration mic, i tested blu-ray movies on a ps3 connected via HDMI on the speakers, and it sounded like I bought a whole new speaker system...

Of course, some of this may be attributed to the fact that I was using ps3 direct to amp via HDMI--- previously I had used an HTPC and analog outputs of my soundcard directly to the Logitech Z-5500's mini-amp. But wow, the audible difference between the two was unbelievable... the sound was enveloping and bombastic, and directional effects panned well and were discernible.

I can only imagine how much better the amp will sound when it is receiving bitstreamed soundtracks, doing the lossless decoding of dts-hd ma and dolby true-hd by itself... will post here when i get my hands on a blu-ray player to do this...

Offline teemto

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #1053 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 12:40 PM »
Guys, i just got an onkyo 606 but am still running on my old Logitech Z-5500 satellites...

I'm planning to upgrade to proper home theater speakers, but my room is only a small studio apartment and I've read that the onkyo 606 has some power limitations.

What are the specs I should be looking for in speakers for the onkyo 606, given that it's  being set up in a medium/small home theater?

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1054 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 05:24 PM »
F r o m :  w w w . d i g i t a l t r e n d s . c o m

Introduction

Time was, a receiver was simply that, a hub which received the signals from a variety of audio sources, amplified them and enabled them to share a single set of speakers. The advent of home theater brought with it a need for video inputs as well, particularly as source components evolved from VCR to laserdisc to DVD to Blu-ray. New and competing audio formats have cropped up as well, to the point where the A/V receiver is now more akin to a Swiss Army knife, a complex gadget called upon to tackle a myriad of entertainment challenges.

This is most assuredly the era of high-definition, and now many people are buying into Blu-ray only to find that their old receivers aren't quite up to the task. Onkyo had met the demand for an affordable, versatile home theater receiver with last year's TX-SR605, a truly impressive offering for the modern age, with HDMI switching and the latest audio codecs. And after listening to consumer and industry feedback, they have addressed the 605's few limitations to make its successor even better, resulting in the killer TX-SR606.

Design and Features

I performed my review on the silver-chassis version and, once my infatuation with its looks wore off, I set about connecting all of my components to the well-designed rear panel. More than enough inputs awaited me: five composite video and four S-video with shared analog stereo, in addition to two component video inputs, assignable to any of the two digital optical and two digital coaxial audio inputs. What really got my juices flowing were the four HDMI inputs, up from the 605's two. HDMI-switching receivers such as these use what's known as an HDMI repeater, which essentially regenerates the audio/video signal sent by the component over the original HDMI connection before passing it out again over another cable, to the HDTV.

The TX-SR606 passes a full 1080p signal (1080 lines, progressive scan, the best that HD currently has to offer) and is HDMI 1.3a-compliant. The higher bandwidth of 1.3a means that it accepts the raw digital bitstreams of the high-resolution Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio formats, in addition to supporting up to 48-bit color depth (the current standard is 24-bit) and potentially higher frame rates. So right away we know that the TX-SR606 is a good investment today, and one that will provide headroom for the future of consumer electronics as the quality continues to improve. Onkyo has also added Remote Interactive over HDMI (RIHD), their own proprietary spin on the more common Consumer Electronics Control (CEC), to better allow the operation of multiple connected HDMI devices from different manufacturers with a single remote.

Pumping out a solid 90 watts for each of its seven channels (left, right and center front, left and right side surround plus left and right rear surround), the TX-SR606 accepts spade, banana, and bare wire speaker wire terminations. A sub pre-out also passes the dedicated low-frequency directly to a powered subwoofer. In a keen bit of rear-panel economy, the back surround speaker terminals can be repurposed to bi-amplify the left and right mains, if you have fancier front loudspeakers and no rears. Additional push-terminal speaker hookups are provided for a powered stereo Zone 2, for remote listening in a different room, even from an alternate source, should you want a movie in the home theater and music up in the kitchen at the same time, if that's your pleasure.

AM and FM antennas are in the box, and the receiver provides a total of 40 station presets. The TX-SR606 is also Sirius-ready, meaning that if you are a subscriber with your own SiriusConnect Home tuner and antenna, you can plug into the eight-pin jack and enjoy satellite radio through your home theater, quickly and easily. As this is also the MP3 age, Onkyo has added a Music Optimizer circuit, a generally successful effort to restore some of the sound quality and visceral impact lost when songs are compressed down to small digital files. To this end, Onkyo is also selling the optional DS-A2X Remote Interactive iPod Dock ($109).

Testing and Use

I was able to perform all basic setup and tests using just the simple blue LED readout on the face of the unit and the clean, ergonomic remote control. The same information can also be displayed bigger and brighter on the screen of a connected TV. Also here is Audyssey 2EQ, a smart room calibrator that automatically determines the number, size, and crossover settings of the connected speakers, to work best with the subwoofer (if you're using one) and factor in room size and listening position. If you can plug in a cable--the jack is on the front panel, people!--and move the small microphone thrice to different spots on your couch, and press a single button as many times, you can do this. It's pretty empowering to custom-configure your own home theater in less than the ten minutes estimated in the manual. Audyssey 2EQ also plays well with the newly added Audyssey Dynamic EQ algorithm, which provides real-time loudness correction to compensate for a variety of sonic anomalies in your home theater. When it's engaged, you'll probably never know what you're missing, and that's a good thing, as it results in truer, more natural sound.

Stereo music CD's via the TX-SR606 were as clean and lifelike as I've ever heard within my walls, but of course the most revealing performance tests would be done with Blu-ray's Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks. Touted as "lossless," these formats can be bit-for-bit identical to the original master recordings created by the studios. The receiver automatically detects whichever sound format we choose on a disc and decodes accordingly.

So much of what I was hearing was what I was not hearing: After more than a decade of DVD watching, my principle complaints remain frequently muffled dialogue and the occasional distortion of high frequencies. Across a slew of demo discs, these problems not only disappeared, but I experienced a revelation akin to my first discrete Dolby Digital 5.1 review: I thought I knew what a great cinematic surround environment was supposed to sound like, but now the effortless reproduction of all channels and their blend into a seamless whole, combined with the abundance of organic detail, brought me closer to the movies than ever before.

Of course it also supports the best that DVD has to offer, including Dolby Digital EX 5.1 and DTS-ES 6.1. While a variety of after-the-fact processing modes is provided (Orchestra, Unplugged, Studio-Mix, etc.), each represents another step away from the creators' original intent, and so they should be used with discretion. The 90 available watts per channel are more than enough to fill a medium-to-large home theater without introducing distortion.

We live in a world of multiple, disparate video sources, and one of the most attractive features of the TX-SR606 is its ability not only to switch between its different inputs and use a single output to the TV (my display ran out of inputs years ago) but what it does with all of those signals. The onboard Faroudja Directional Correlational Deinterlacing (DCDi) chip turns standard 480i video content into smoother, more pleasing 480p. Popping in an old Faroudja/Sage DCDi demonstration disc, I found the effect is most pronounced on "jaggies," those stair-step edges on difficult-to-reproduce diagonal lines, and it can be a real boon here to all of your standard-quality source material, particularly if your DVD player does not offer its own progressive scan output.

New for this model is 1080i upscaling on all analog signals, even measly 480i composite. It's not quite the blessing that is sounds like, as it cannot magically turn your standard-def video into perfectly believable HD. It can pull heretofore unseen detail from movies and TV, but it can also introduce new artifacting, a digital haze that some viewers might find unpleasant. This is a feature you will want to experiment with, to see firsthand if the good outweighs the bad, but kudos to Onkyo for including the option.

Conclusion

While the $579 price tag qualifies this product as "mid-range" and not "entry level" in the grand scheme of receivers, such value in an HDMI-switching Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio all-in-one is hard, maybe impossible to match. For me, the two extra HDMI outputs alone make this receiver worth the increase from the previous generation's $499. The additional refinements of the Music Optimizer, 1080i upscaling and Audyssey Dynamic EQ loudness compensation are delicious gravy.

So you have your HDTV, your Blu-ray player, and a bunch of speakers: Everything you need to complete the home theater experience is right here. Well-featured, reasonably priced, and high-performance, the Onkyo TX-SR606 AV receiver is a sound investment.

Well-featured, reasonably priced, and high-performance, the Onkyo TX-SR606 AV receiver is a sound investment.

Highs: Supports latest high-def audio formats; plenty of power; generous inputs; good value

Lows: 1080i upscaling could be better; remote lacks a backlight

Offline gallery

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Society Of Sound
  • Liked:
Re: Onkyo SR705
« Reply #1055 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM »
Anybody have an idea on what the market price of the 705 today?
/ Onkyo 1100 / B&W 683 S2 / B&W 685 S2 / B&W HTM61 S2 / B&W ASW610XP /

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1056 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 01:08 PM »
Anybody have an idea on what the market price of the 705 today?

+1 how about a six month old 705, magkano kaya?  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2008 at 01:08 PM by vtec3 »

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1057 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 01:13 PM »
+1 how about a six month old 705, magkano kaya?  ;D ;D ;D

Upgrade na ba?  ;D ;D ;D
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #1058 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 02:05 PM »
Upgrade na ba?  ;D ;D ;D
uy pati c doc upgrading......  :D :D

Offline ru$h

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1059 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 07:48 PM »
same here  ;D how much na ang 705/706?

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1060 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 10:45 AM »
Upgrade na ba?  ;D ;D ;D

curious lang, wala money pang upgrade ng AVR  ;)

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #1061 on: Nov 20, 2008 at 10:22 AM »
Guys, saan ba pwede bumili ng replacement remote control ng Onkyo 601 o 701? TIA.

Offline eikram_14

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1062 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 12:26 AM »
Guys, meron ba international warranty ang onkyo? im planning to buy 1 avr when i come home.

im thinking to buy 606 or 706

TIA...

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #1063 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 12:53 AM »
Hi Onkyo owners! ;D Just wanted to ask...are Wharfedale speakers compatible with Onkyo Recievers? :)

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1064 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 01:05 AM »
Guys, i just got an onkyo 606 but am still running on my old Logitech Z-5500 satellites...

I'm planning to upgrade to proper home theater speakers, but my room is only a small studio apartment and I've read that the onkyo 606 has some power limitations.

What are the specs I should be looking for in speakers for the onkyo 606, given that it's  being set up in a medium/small home theater?

Get 6-ohm or 8-ohm impedance speakers, that's pretty much it. Do not match the wattage ratings of the speakers to the receiver. You'll barely use up the full wattage rating of the receiver unless you go really loud to reference levels.

Some brands to look at are the following:

Infinity
Polk Audio
JBL
Yamaha
Mission
Wharfedale
Monitor Audio

Offline defjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1065 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 01:07 AM »
according to some owners hindi masyado kasi muddy dw ang dating, better dw ang mission.im about to find out this dec kasi i have an onkyo 604 but i have yet to buy some speakers :D nauna mga sources ps3 and egreat.

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #1066 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 01:16 AM »
according to some owners hindi masyado kasi muddy dw ang dating, better dw ang mission.im about to find out this dec kasi i have an onkyo 604 but i have yet to buy some speakers :D nauna mga sources ps3 and egreat.

Thanks for your inputs sir defjam. :) I asked co'z I am upgrading my receiver...I'm actually decided on getting a Denon, but they are offering me an Onkyo receiver for the same price as well. So, just wondered where my Wharfes will sound better...with the Denon or the Onkyo. :P

Offline defjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1067 on: Nov 24, 2008 at 09:30 AM »
Thanks for your inputs sir defjam. :) I asked co'z I am upgrading my receiver...I'm actually decided on getting a Denon, but they are offering me an Onkyo receiver for the same price as well. So, just wondered where my Wharfes will sound better...with the Denon or the Onkyo. :P
demo nalng both receivers and see what you will like.goodluck on your upgrade! :)

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #1068 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 10:36 AM »

Onkyo works well with wharfedale than denon-wharfedale combi. I used to own a Denon 1604 powering my wharfedale diamond 8s but Denon is wanting in music department. I now use Onkyo 601 and my wharfedales sing very well both in HT and music. (but it's just my experience though. your ears will be the better judge) ;)

Offline tambutsoo

• Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #1069 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 06:34 PM »
help, where to buy 876? and how much? thank you

Offline samlowry

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1070 on: Nov 29, 2008 at 11:23 PM »
I asked around and 71400 is the common answer. I think all stores are part of a cartel or something. hehe. I got mine for 71k from Listening in Style. 

You'll love it, I'm sure.  I love how you can specify different output resolutions/upscaling for each input/source.  Audessy is great too. Instant calibration:) 

Panasonic 58pz800u and BD55
Onkyo 876
Ps3/Xbox360
Dynaudio 6.1

Offline julsuy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1071 on: Dec 06, 2008 at 08:55 AM »
Sirs,

I need help.

I got an 805 and when I was setting up the AM presetting, I found out that the frequency is in the interval of 10 instead of 9.

I checked the manual and it says that some model can be set to either 10 or 9 interval. But I tried on my unit and it wont.

Any suggestion?  ???

Thanks

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1072 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 06:56 PM »
anybody here owns a 706, any idea how much this avr are going for now? tia!

Offline gisan925

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1073 on: Dec 16, 2008 at 08:59 PM »
sir i'm planning to buy an ONKY 606 sa states via AMAZON papadala ko na lang via Balikbayan Box (is it advisable?) anyway To all ONKYO 606 owners out there do u guys know the box dimension of the ONKYO 606 ... be asking my friend to put it kasi sa balikbayan box and medyo limitedd na kasi yung space. I checked Amazon and the product dimension is:  14.8 x 17.1 x 6.9 inches ; 24.9 pounds.  Do u guys know the box size.  Thanks in advance. 

22" x 18.5" x 11.25" (L x W x H)
Onkyo875 PV80 MA RS6  BD55 Pio610 RA03 Azur 640C Yaqin MC10T

Offline JAQY888

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1074 on: Dec 17, 2008 at 02:28 PM »
anybody here owns a 706, any idea how much this avr are going for now? tia!

hmmmm, I smell an upgrade, brader Aynz .....  ;D ;D ;D
PM sent  :D :D :D
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1075 on: Dec 17, 2008 at 02:40 PM »
hmmmm, I smell an upgrade, brader Aynz .....  ;D ;D ;D
PM sent  :D :D :D

hehe, got pm. thanks.

next year na ito.  ;D

Offline don

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1076 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 12:42 PM »
Mga sirs, anung ma recommend niyo na setting ng speakers? Audessy set mine to 120hz lahat.
sa yamaha ko dati i'm on all small (anung range nuon?)... I'm using an onkyo 606 now... TIA po  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2008 at 01:52 PM by don »

Offline dazed

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1077 on: Jan 04, 2009 at 12:18 PM »
long time absentee on pinoydvd, just managed to put my old gears in storage for a couple of years back together again, with a few new members to the family :)

was wondering if any onkyo user was using the optical out on their receiver? am trying to hook up a 5.1 headphone set that has its own decoder to the 876 so I can use it for late night xbox gaming, but seems to be no signal from the receiver. xbox is connected to the receiver via hdmi. do i have to turn on the optical out somehow? my impression was that it was on all the time. or will the 876 only output signal to its optical out if input is via optical too? only reference in the manual to the optical out seemed to suggest this but wasn't clear.

i wouldn't mind connecting to the xbox directly but micro$oft made the connectors in such a way that it's impossible to plug in the optical cable when an hdmi cable is connected  ???

either way, happy to be back!
Audio: Cayin MT-45 mkii|B&W 602s2|Gramovox TT
HT: Denon X4200W|B&W 683s2, HTM Matrix, 601s2, GE 525

Offline gisan925

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1078 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 10:38 PM »
Mga sirs, anung ma recommend niyo na setting ng speakers? Audessy set mine to 120hz lahat.
sa yamaha ko dati i'm on all small (anung range nuon?)... I'm using an onkyo 606 now... TIA po  ;D

Initially, Audessy in my 606 set my speakers to 100hz. Then i made my customized settings: 80hz for all speakers. With the Audessy eq still on; bass/treble-flat. Then I used my Radioshack spl meter to recalibrate the speakers. Sounds good to me. ;)
Onkyo875 PV80 MA RS6  BD55 Pio610 RA03 Azur 640C Yaqin MC10T

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1079 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 07:30 AM »
Initially, Audessy in my 606 set my speakers to 100hz. Then i made my customized settings: 80hz for all speakers. With the Audessy eq still on; bass/treble-flat. Then I used my Radioshack spl meter to recalibrate the speakers. Sounds good to me. ;)

My suggestions:

If you want to change the crossovers set by Audyssey, there is no problem to raise them but it is not good to lower them. Below the recommended point, there are no Audyssey filters so the sound will not be great.

There is a lot of experience to show that the levels set by Audyssey are more accurate than the Radioshack meter, especially for the subwoofer. Unless there was some noise during the Audyssey calibration (in which case it is best to re-run Audyssey), I suggest you leave the levels as recommended.

The appropriate tweak to try out after running Audyssey is to change the setting for speakers designated as Full-range. Apply a crossover instead. This is almost always the best setting. Also set the sub to 120 hz (that is actually the LPF for the LFE channel).
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.