Author Topic: Subtitles  (Read 690 times)

Offline Belacqua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Subtitles
« on: May 26, 2006 at 09:46 AM »
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before; I'm just wondering about the English subtitles of R3 DVDs of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean movies and TV shows. Are they any good (or at the very least gramatically correct)? I read somewhere that the Hong Kong releases have incoherent subtitles; what about releases from Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia, etc.?

Btw here are some of the movies and TV shows I'm interested in buying; if you have bought R3 DVDs of any of these titles your comments would be greatly appreciated:

3-Iron
Untold Scandal
Densha Otoko
NANA
Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Thanks a lot~

Offline nixenzo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • D'oh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Subtitles
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006 at 11:46 AM »
I'm not quite sure about this, but, well,

I think most of the time, when a movie or tv series is subbed by the country of origin, it is usually correct and other versions will copy the subtitles. (I think this is rare in Japanese TV shows) Subtitles from Hong Kong vary in coherence, some are correct and acceptable, others are downright wretched, and others are correct, but the subtitling itself is wrong. Taiwanese versions, sometimes do not have english subs, and if they do, usually it is from HK. Korean subs are usually good (With a notable exception of Battle Royale : SV), but extras, more often than not, have no subtitles. Althought, don't take it from me, I'm sure many people out there have more experience in buying asian releases.
Librarian

Online jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1247
Re: Subtitles
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006 at 04:31 PM »
3-Iron R3 Korean release has good English subs for the movie itself. As is usually the case, special features in disc 2 have no English subs.

Castle in the Sky has a good R1 Disney release with both English dubbing & subs.