Author Topic: TT or CD player  (Read 3601 times)

Offline macmac09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
TT or CD player
« on: Jul 01, 2006 at 05:32 PM »
if you were to start from scratch, what woould you choose, turntable or cd player? given that you don't have any collection of cd's or vinyl. why?

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
Re: TT or CD player
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2006 at 05:40 PM »
IMHO...both...thanks! better enjoy the best of both worlds if there's an opportunity... :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline macmac09

• Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2006 at 08:49 PM »
ganito na lang, kasi ok naman pareho. if i have a 25k budget, which source would give me better results. a 25k new cd player or a new 25k turntable. that's just how far my budget goes. ;)

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2006 at 02:41 PM »
assuming you dont have cd's and lp's to begin with. they should be included in how you'll spend your 25k budget. it would depend mostly on what music you'll be listening to... are you ready to look for Korn lp's? or Identity crisis CD's?
money is best spent

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2006 at 03:52 PM »
pwede pakopya? ;D

Identity crisis CD's?

Offline macmac09

• Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2006 at 08:21 PM »
yup, i am thinking of sourcing my lps abroad. i have some relatives living abroad who often go home.

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 10:40 AM »
if you were to start from scratch, what woould you choose, turntable or cd player? given that you don't have any collection of cd's or vinyl. why?

CD ... mas maraming nabibiling CD, di matrabaho linisin at  di kailangan mag-align.

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 10:45 AM »
if you have sources for the LPs, then go analog, sir!

(shameless plug: there's one TT being sold at the marketplace now) :D :D :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 11:07 AM »
On the other hand, kung may biglang nagbigay sa akin ng libreng tt kahit iyong Fisher Price na laruang pambata lang at Spiral Staercase (tama ba spelling) lp ... bababad muna ako sa tt.

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 11:09 AM »
rascal, there's a spiral starecase LP being sold at the marketplace, check it out...sorry for the OT macmac...by the way, sent you a PM and an SMS, glad to be of help...thanks!

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 06:56 PM »
If there's only one choice between the two.. I  will choose the CD player...

WHY???

- CD has more titles at this time
- CD is more easy to maintain
- I can play my CD on my car and portable CD player and I dont know if you can do the same with Vinyl player while moving or traveling...
- CD requires much lesser space than Vinyl, I can carry 25 CD's in a small pouch, I dont think you can do the same with Vinyl...

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 07:30 PM »
You should get both TT and CD Player.

:)

Offline macmac09

• Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 09:52 PM »
sana nga budget would permit both. pero baka cd player na lang muna ako. ano kaya ok for a budget of around 25-30k?

Offline FlyMe

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 04, 2006 at 08:07 AM »
Cayin

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #14 on: Jul 04, 2006 at 02:11 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

I have seen a lot of vested interests in posts from other forums similar to the ones here on this thread. Buti na lang dito may mga matitinong magpapayo sa iyo.  ;)

good luck on your purchase!

Offline macmac09

• Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 05, 2006 at 08:26 AM »
were po ba meron cayin?

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 05, 2006 at 06:51 PM »
sana nga budget would permit both. pero baka cd player na lang muna ako. ano kaya ok for a budget of around 25-30k?

try nyo rin ang Cambridge, NAD & Rotel, alphabetical lang yan ha & not in the order of preference ;D 8)
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2006 at 06:52 PM by classicman »

Offline Voltraizer

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 12:34 PM »
;D ;D ;D

I have seen a lot of vested interests in posts from other forums similar to the ones here on this thread. Buti na lang dito may mga matitinong magpapayo sa iyo.  ;)

good luck on your purchase!
Yeah , I noticed that too. There will be someone offering you equipment 'coz they are upgrading o di kaya marketing some other seller's stuff. Part of the game 'yan, that's the audio world. If 2nd hand, they will get a good price kung talagang bargain.
For me, you'll save more on the softwares if you go the digital route meaning CD (not Sacd ,dvd-a dts-cd etc) kesa
TT. Medyo me kamahalan ang LPs lalo na kung bago na mga reissue. Although , there's the 2nd hand market for LPs.
Besides, there's a lot of good CD players out there with improved sound quality.
With MP3 -Ipod around, the quality of the sound provided by CD is already very good.
Anyway, TT or CD ...that's your call after reading all the posts here
technics sl1200ltd gold,,Passlabs X250.5,dynaudio C1, rogue  super99,charisma audio ref1 mc 

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 12:51 PM »
If you opt to get TT, just be prepared to spend for maintenance of LPs and TT tweaks.  Your total cost of acquisition doesn't end with purchaisng the TT and LPs.  They're no laughing matter.  I should know, I came from TT/LPs spending almost a fortune on gram gauge, anti-resonance rubber matts, levelling and anti-warp weights, anti-vibration level adjustable footings, anti-static carbon fiber brushes, anti-static guns and polymer LP sleeves (to replace each and every commercial LP sleeve), LP maskara-type cleaning fluids, etc.  Not to mention changing the pick-up or entire cartridge asembly every so often depending on usage, or the belt (if belt-driven) and calibrating the tone arm vertical traching force, overhang, anti-skating, etc.  It can be a load of fun tinkering and maintaining you TT and LP which can become the focus of your audiophilic hobby.   No such ceremonial obsession with CDs.  And ofcourse you can have both.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2006 at 01:11 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #19 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 01:31 PM »
When I dived into audio (again  ;) ) years ago, it was the advent of the CD player.  Thus my collection started with audio CDs, starting with the ones that were part of my old cassette tape collection. At present, I hold both TT and CD, and honestly, I like both mediums ('though my preference would be the LP :) ).

So, how do you want to spend your budget 20K - 30K?  You can buy a decent second hand 16-bit CD player (2K-5K) and a basic Turntable unit (5K-8K), then spend the rest of your budget buying LPs and CDs.  Later on, when you've finally decided on what medium to use for your type of music, then you can splurge a little bit and buy a better audio source. 

Just my opinion.  hope this helps.

Cheers.   

Offline kits

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2006 at 03:18 PM »
hello! guys. just wondering does anyone here had used or bought the vestax and nu-mark portable turntables? if so, ok ba sya?  and anyone here thats into indiepop? im a newbie with the whole tt and lp thing.

kits

Offline stereophile

• Collector
  • What matters is in the groove...
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 10:17 AM »
macmac- Check your audio library. If you have more cds then LPs, the obvious choice would be to get a decent cdp.

As funds allow, you can try analog with pre-owned ttables first and sample a few LPs. If it's not to your liking, they will be easy to dispose. It helps if you have a friend who is into analog and can help you set-up the ttable. It's more 'labor intensive' than the digital route, yet many like me prefer analog over digital foremost for the sound (compared the cd vs LP version of an album)then the fun of tinkering/tweaking. The ticks n pops, the rituals of cleaning are 'accepted' as part of going into analog.

In the end, its the sonic character w/c will determine the medium you decide to concentrate on.

Offline Jakob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2006 at 07:13 AM »
it would depend mostly on what music you'll be listening to... are you ready to look for Korn lp's? or Identity crisis CD's?

nicely put.. if you're an r&b or modern rock kind of guy, suggest you go digital. somehow software would dictate your choice.

bottom line - get both  ;D :o  (to add to your confusion)

8)

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #23 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 02:35 PM »
were po ba meron cayin?
pre, personally i would go for the sound of a TT. but for a starter like you, better off go ahead with your plan of a CD player first. with your budget, try auditioning a cambridge audio 640C v2 and a rotel rcd06. cam audio can be found at audio den, rotel can be found at audio world, sights and sounds, sound dimension.

im allan - 09178087173

Offline rnb_zounds

• Collector
  • Dig my Rhythm and Blues!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2006 at 11:31 AM »
I'd go TT every time. But then again it all depends on your situation and also on the type of music you want as others would say pag current titles, the CD is more advantageous.

I for one was parang reverse though I now see that it was actually progressive. Started with MP3s (well actually, cassette tape came first), didn't have a dedicated cd player, used the PC to rip all my cds way back when winamp was version 0.xx, cd drives were 4x-8x and CPU's were below 500Mhz. Then I was able to get a stand alone cd player, found it much better but still.  As a child in the 70's we did have a TT and I did miss it. So off I went to look for the sound that gave me fond memories of the family; swapping albums on the TT and having fun checking out and reading albums. I hardly play my MP3's despite of it being the king of convenience at home now. ( I did and still do transfer LP to MP3) I only play my MP3's when I'm working on the PC and when I don't want to be disturbed or when I really feel lazy and I'm not interested with the sound quality. But if I have time to spare then, the LP rules in my case then the cds (multi disc) if I want to relax or sleep. Also I think vinyl is far more forgiving with kids around (album wise that is)

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2006 at 11:32 AM by rnb_zounds »

Offline macmac09

• Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2006 at 11:02 PM »
ei, i never checked this thread for a while na. i have owned a tt for a while now and i'm loving it. nagkaron pa nga ako r&b na lps mas gusto ko pa rin sound ng analog despite that type of music. tnx.

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2006 at 08:13 AM »

from scratch? of course I'd get a CD Player first.... CD Audio is like a basic commodity to me Turntables, Reel to reel are luxury items to me... Ya hafta eat first before you watch enjoy those luxuries...

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2006 at 04:13 PM »
TT is good if you have a good source of very good conditioned LPs. Mas maganda talaga ang tunog ng analog basta matino (no or minimal scratches) din ang record na ipi-play mo.

Offline NadB

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Music is Life!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2006 at 09:18 PM »
The reference was : Starting from scratch w/ no reference collection.
IF I had the budget, I'd go for both.   There is lavishness in music as there
is lavishness in cars and women for those who lavish that hobby as well.
I tend to agree w/ Superman...if you have the budget, lavish yourself
w/ the best of both worlds. 

As for me, am starting both.  Got me a TT (TD166 MkII) and CDP (CD50-T) at
the same time.

See what happens, where the road will take me.  If there is indeed a
crossroad in music. 

We only walk this earth once.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #29 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 02:56 PM »
ganito na lang, kasi ok naman pareho. if i have a 25k budget, which source would give me better results. a 25k new cd player or a new 25k turntable. that's just how far my budget goes. ;)

Previously, I've hooked up in CD and MP3 playing but when I started Spinning LP's I redicovered new old World of Music. Definetely I would go for TT...  :o
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest