Author Topic: sub's or surround's first?  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Zitr0

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
sub's or surround's first?
« on: Jul 03, 2006 at 06:03 AM »
Guy's just need some opinions out here concerning the two.

My buget is a bit limited n kc kakakuha ko palang ng 602 s3 tapos kukunin ko this week ung LCR 600.
Tanong ko lang kung ano ang mas maganda unahin after nito.
1) Subwoofer - dahil it helps alot producing the real effect in movies? and music? and more depht in sound...
Just use any speaker i still have for surround...
or
2) Surrounds that would complement the fronts para mabuo ung timber matching to produce a seamless soundstage?
and just use mu existing USaudio 12" sub...

thanks guys for any input.

San ba kayo, option 1 or 2?
"NO SPEAKER IS MADE PERFECT, YOUR "EARS" MAKE A SPEAKER PERFECT!"

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: sub's or surround's first?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 06:19 AM »
I would go for #2.  May USAudio sub ka naman pala eh.  The use of the surrounds is more frequent than the sub.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 07:09 AM »
go for option no. 2 bro para makumpleto yung 5.1 system mo for now.  Then do some saving para makapag invest ka sa isang high performing sub like velodyne.   ;D ;D

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 07:44 AM »
I'd also gor for option # 2. Just maximize your old sub while your saving for a better one.
SARS!!!

Offline Zitr0

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 10:05 PM »
Thanks guys...

Then thats going to be my route... :)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2006 at 08:30 AM »
WAIT! If i were you ill have a taste of option 1 first... especailly when you are eyeing the VELO as your sub. If the speakers you have that you intend to use as your sub are not that BAd naman, maybe use that for your surrounds muna. anyway most of the time the surrounds are utilized for special effects and the minute variations in the sound quality between your fronts and your surrounds may not at all be noticeable.    ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline classicman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2006 at 10:55 AM »
would also go for option no. 2 since you still have your old sub that can be used in the meantime :)......if i may further suggest, why don't you consider the LCR60 for your center coz aside from being cheaper, i think it's a better match for your 602s, as compared to the bigger LCR600 that might overwhelmed your fronts & w/c are more appropriate for the 603s & 604s......suggestion lang po naman 8)

Offline wolvenfang

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Don't beat urself up!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2006 at 10:24 AM »

sir, imo u dont need a very powerful sub, ur sub would do, what you can do is add BASS SHAKERS to your sofas and it would compliment your setup quite nicely. mura pa. with that in mind, you may still have enough to buy decent surrounds.  o diba? 2 birds with one stone! :D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 05, 2006 at 10:38 AM »
would also go for option no. 2 since you still have your old sub that can be used in the meantime :)......if i may further suggest, why don't you consider the LCR60 for your center coz aside from being cheaper, i think it's a better match for your 602s, as compared to the bigger LCR600 that might overwhelmed your fronts & w/c are more appropriate for the 603s & 604s......suggestion lang po naman 8)
sir leo is right, lcr 60 is recommended pairing for the 602s....thats almost 9to10k savings.....a third of a very good cht-12r velo sub!!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 05, 2006 at 11:15 AM »
Personally, I'd save up to get both.  When properly configured and placed, the most palpable benefits of HT is really getting BOTH the enveloping sounds made possible with surround speakers and the viscerable impact of a good subwoofer.  When I plunged into HT back in the prologic days, I made sure I had both on day one.   And when the subwoofer was borrowed by a friend for a few weeks, it just wasn't the same.   ;D

Offline marckd1

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2006 at 11:38 AM »
option 2 if limited budget. I'm also using an US Audio sub for almost 4 years now to complete my 7.1 set-up and until now no plan of upgrading it. Get first the surround with same brand and model para upgrade proof ka na.

Offline Zitr0

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 10:46 PM »
Thanks guys for all the replies, as of now i think ill be going with option 2.

As for the the center, actually i did based my decission from an international B&W forum. and that is to go with the LCR 600 and that is because:
1) i can manipulate its output from the reciver to match the fronts.
2) better dynamics since 70% of the movie effect is from the center. rem, it has better low end.
3) if ever i would save more money in the future kasi d k na kailangan ibenta ung LCR60 para bumili ng mas maganda, w/c is the LCR 600 dahil meron nko, isa nlang ang upgrade k, 604's. ;D
4) and as of now, multi chn audio/SACD is coming to mind so a good surround is needed.

oo nga pala...

ang magiging setup ko ngayon guys is 602s3x4 and the LCR600s3... hehehe! after having the wharfedale 8's.

ang this sat maiuuwi ko na ung 2nd 602's ko kya hopfully this week buo n sya.

grabe, thanks guys sa support and help... ;D ;D ;D

kakaiba talaga ang hobbie n2, ang gastos!

pero ang sarap naman mag relax paguwi m galing work!  :)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 11:02 PM »

3) if ever i would save more money in the future kasi d k na kailangan ibenta ung LCR60 para bumili ng mas maganda, w/c is the LCR 600 dahil meron nko, isa nlang ang upgrade k, 604's. ;D

I see you on the LCR600 purchase...but I have some advise though on the 604s...you must have a big room.  If not, it will be boomy.  What size ba is your HT room?  :)

Offline Zitr0

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 11:42 PM »
as of now, maliit pa sya, 12x8x10 ft, when i get a chance to build a house for my future family dun ko n ibubuhos, mga 6mnts to 1 yr.

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 12:12 AM »
As for the the center, actually i did based my decission from an international B&W forum. and that is to go with the LCR 600 and that is because:
1) i can manipulate its output from the reciver to match the fronts.
2) better dynamics since 70% of the movie effect is from the center. rem, it has better low end.
4) and as of now, multi chn audio/SACD is coming to mind so a good surround is needed.

oo nga pala...

ang magiging setup ko ngayon guys is 602s3x4 and the LCR600s3... hehehe! after having the wharfedale 8's.

ang this sat maiuuwi ko na ung 2nd 602's ko kya hopfully this week buo n sya.

sir, there's also some basis for my suggestion & it comes from the B&W website no less (this is aside from basing it from personal experience) :)......quoted hereunder is the description of the LCR60s3 as posted in the said site:

"This is the smaller of two LCR (Left, Centre, Right) models in the range and, like all speakers intended for centre channel use, is magnetically shielded to avoid television picture distortion. This feature is essential should you need to mount either the left or right front speaker close to the television too.

The symmetrical design lends itself to use with the drivers either horizontally or vertically in line. Typically, horizontal orientation would be used in centre speaker applications, where the low profile sits well on top of or directly beneath a television, or if you need to suspend the speaker tilted down from the ceiling. In most other situations, vertical orientation is usually more appropriate.

The twin 130mm (5½-in) drivers allow the LCR60 S3 to match the output capability of the smaller models in the range - DM600 S3, DM601 S3, DM602 S3 and DM602.5 S3 – for which it is the recommended centre speaker. Alternatively, the LCR60 S3 can be used in all front and surround positions of a home theatre for a perfectly matched installation."
(Underscoring mine.)

on the other hand, the same site describes the LCR600s3 as follows:

"This is the larger of the two LCR (Left, Centre, Right) models in the range and its greater volume and larger drivers make it more suitable to partner the larger models in the range – DM603 S3 and DM604 S3 – as a centre speaker.

Like the LCR60 S3, the ability to use the LCR600 S3 in either horizontal (more usual in the centre position) or vertical orientation, together with its magnetic shielding, makes it an extremely versatile speaker. This is especially relevant when considering the practical problems of successfully accommodating five speakers in a domestic home theatre installation.

Most LCR systems will be used for enjoying movies. However, all B&W speakers have a long design heritage rooted in the high quality reproduction of music and our LCR models are no exception to this design philosophy."
(Underscoring mine.)

so if you haven't bought your speakers yet, i beg your indulgence to re-think your position by visiting the said website first & browse the specs of these speakers so that you could come up with a more informed decision by yourself (dito po sa hobby na 'to eh importante din ang sinasabing "matching of gears") ;).......but if you have already made up your mind & is now bent on getting the LCR600s3 to pair with the 602s3 as fronts, then go ahead....it's your HT set-up & molaah anyway (dito rin po sa hobby na 'to, kung saan ka masaya eh doon ka na, hehehe) ;D ;D ;D

peace....... 8)

Offline Zitr0

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 02:53 AM »
Thanks for you concern classicman, but i have already bought it. kagaya ng sabi k, ung second pair of 602's nalang ang kulang ko for surround. i have tested it sa movies and honestly may iba talaga syang nabibigay n 2nog compared sa LCR60 as from the las time i heard it, mas malaki ung sound specially on the lower octaves. actually you are right about it, matching equit. ect. but as far as the speaker goes, they have to be match sa isat isa were in they are. ung AVR nalang ang magbabalance sa kanila through set-up calibration.

Thanks ulit pare for the concern.

PEACE! :)

Offline Zitr0

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 02:55 AM »
One more thing classicman,

you are right about it pagdating sa sinasabi ng website, but try to check it deeper, there is a part were sinasabi nila na if you are using a big room, the LCR600 would be perfect for the 602s3's.

Offline Zitr0

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 03:13 AM »
Sa totoo lang mga tol, gulong gulo lang talaga ako kung ano uunahin ko, another pair of the 602's for surroung and use my old usaudio as sub or go vith the velo CHT12R and use my old daichi bookshelve speakerws for surround.

HHHAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EWAN para 2loy nagdadalawang isip ako sa surround? kaso parang mas astig ksi un eh, 4 n 602?

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 07:13 AM »
Bro, why not consider B&W DS6 switchable monopole/dipole surround speakers.  You can have lots of options regarding the surround effects.  I think mas ok na option to rather having 602s as surrounds.  I could have advised you too to consider 603s3 rather than 602s for fronts (nabili mo na diba?)...this way, future proof ka na. no need to upgrade to 604s in the future.  Kakayanin ng 603s I think as much as 30 sqms, and thats a large room already.  :)

Offline Zitr0

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 07:22 AM »
sa totoo lang Munskie, napagisipan ko n yan, ang mahal lng kc ng 603.
25k for the 602 against 43K sa 603. tapos 33k yata ung DS6 unlike sa isa pang 602.

The 602 btw has better extension kya ito ang iniisip ko knowing na im planing of going to multi formats like SACD and DVD Audio kung saan mas magbebenefite ang surround kung kya nya full range signal.

Kaw, what's your opinion?

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 07:32 AM »
ah ok..if multi-channel audio is important to you, 602 would be the good option.  pero kung gusto mo makatipid, i think having 601s would be good enough as surrounds. it will save you say 5k?  :) :)

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #21 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 11:38 AM »
ric999 pasali sa gulo ;D why not instead of getting another set of 602 for surround,just get a pair of 603 as your fronts to match your lcr600. then use your 602 as your surround although this will really be an over-kill set-up na but this SET-UP will be more practical in case you will move to a bigger place in the future ;) And another thing just make sure that you will have a HIGH POWERED AMP to power your B&Ws ;D yung velo bro can wait, low frequency difference lang naman yon compared to your present sub ;)

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 12:06 PM »
I agree w/ ricky. Kung kaya pa ng budget,  get the 603 for fronts. It think your old sub paired w/ the 603s will suffice for now with your current HT room. Just get the Velo when you move your HT to your new home. ;)
SARS!!!

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 12:33 PM »
ric999 pasali sa gulo ;D why not instead of getting another set of 602 for surround,just get a pair of 603 as your fronts to match your lcr600. then use your 602 as your surround although this will really be an over-kill set-up na but this SET-UP will be more practical in case you will move to a bigger place in the future ;) And another thing just make sure that you will have a HIGH POWERED AMP to power your B&Ws ;D yung velo bro can wait, low frequency difference lang naman yon compared to your present sub ;)

i totally agree w/ this also....... 8)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 01:30 PM »
kayo talaga..pinatitipid ko na nga dahil namahalan sa 603s...mga kampon kayo ng SARS no?  hahahaha   ;D ;D

can't beat, ill join you na din  ;)...

sir, tama si ricky, isagad nyo na budget nyo, isahang gastos na lang. in the long run tipid ka.  you said you want 604s.  i think if you go that route, mas magagastos ka nga.  getting the 603s now and using ur 602s as surrounds is the best option now.   8) 8)  o yan ah...in the long run, tipid ka. (grabe tayo mag-SARS)

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 05:10 PM »
kayo talaga..pinatitipid ko na nga dahil namahalan sa 603s...mga kampon kayo ng SARS no? hahahaha ;D ;D

can't beat, ill join you na din ;)...

sir, tama si ricky, isagad nyo na budget nyo, isahang gastos na lang. in the long run tipid ka. you said you want 604s. i think if you go that route, mas magagastos ka nga. getting the 603s now and using ur 602s as surrounds is the best option now. 8) 8) o yan ah...in the long run, tipid ka. (grabe tayo mag-SARS)

"The more expensive... este the more the merrier"  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2006 at 05:10 PM by jojitv »
SARS!!!

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #26 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 06:06 PM »
ha ha ha I just based my suggestion from ric's purchase of the lcr600,cost no object basta happy sya so i guess suggesting the 603 or 604 is in order pa naman ;) Plus he mentioned of moving to another place in a year or so,kaya itong set-up na ito ay halos future proof na. It will take a very long time before it needs to be upgraded or baka hindi na nga kailanganin eh 8) plus magiging happy na si boss leo ;) ;D

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 07:46 PM »
im planning of going to multi formats like SACD and DVD Audio kung saan mas magbebenefite ang surround kung kya nya full range signal.

In my view, this is messing up your decision making, as it's giving you one too many goals.

Think of multichannel audio as something that's a by-product of a complete system, instead of something to build a system around. There are few titles and they are expensive. Mind you, I like MC audio, but I got interested in them only when my system was complete.

Attend to the basics first - DVD and CD. This means prioritizing the fronts and sub; it sounds like you have a good center already. I don't know if B&W and Velo are a good match. They very well could be, but audition a B&W sub anyway.

Whatever you do, by all means be patient! In this hobby, patience is a good thing. Ang nagmamadali, nadadapa, sabi nga.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2006 at 08:16 PM by slowhand »

Offline Zitr0

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 10:45 PM »
In my view, this is messing up your decision making, as it's giving you one too many goals.

Think of multichannel audio as something that's a by-product of a complete system, instead of something to build a system around. There are few titles and they are expensive. Mind you, I like MC audio, but I got interested in them only when my system was complete.

Attend to the basics first - DVD and CD. This means prioritizing the fronts and sub; it sounds like you have a good center already. I don't know if B&W and Velo are a good match. They very well could be, but audition a B&W sub anyway.

Whatever you do, by all means be patient! In this hobby, patience is a good thing. Ang nagmamadali, nadadapa, sabi nga.

Good luck!

tama ka dyan slowhand, and i agree talaga, kso the mear fact n baka mag move ako for another 602's for the rears is to help a friend on his financial crisis sa ngayon. kakabili nya lang ng 602 a few days ago and may bigla lang dumating where kailangan nya talaga ng pera ngayon.

Plan k rin talaga kumuha ng towers pero fon now feeling ko kc d kakayanin ng amp k pag nag go ako sa 603/604, if ever kakailanganin ko n rin magpalit ng amp/AVR, where wala p sa buget, magagalit n kc magiging misis ko sa mga gastos k! hehehe! and besides kagaya ng sabi nyo, sa liit ng room ko currently, over kill sya unless lumipat nako on my new house where i could really assign a dedicated room for my HT/SOUND room!

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #29 on: Jul 08, 2006 at 12:23 AM »
ayun na pala sir ric999, magiging misis?? hehe.. gastos na yan before magkaroon ng WAF and HPO! para pagkasal na eh.kahit gusto mo, dami nang ibang priorities and ma-lessen talaga yung igagastos mo sa iba.madami ka na iisipin sir bago mailabas ang pera....depende nalang po if madaming reserba. :D

sir, ano po plan nyo for receiver or ano po avr niyo? be sure lang po na malakas and malaki headroom para i-drive yung b&ws po. or malakas na power amp........ eto pa isa.... bumubulong bulong... "ako ka-partner niyang b&w"...... RRRRR :D ;)