Author Topic: Star Wars (Original) Trilogy on DVD  (Read 40135 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I feel the need...the NEED for SPEED!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STAR WARS TRILOGY on DVD (Sep 21 !)
« Reply #540 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 05:31 PM »
No problem dude... ;)
I feel the need....the need for speed...

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #541 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 05:00 PM »
from DVDANSWERS

Star Wars: The Changes - Part Two

In the first of my three-part examination of the changes to the Star Wars trilogy I looked at the differences between the various releases of A New Hope. Now the time has come to turn my attention to my favourite instalment of the trilogy, The Empire Strikes Back. This instalment of the saga has suffered relatively minor changes when compared to the first film in the series, and many believe that of the three films, Empire is the least ‘tainted’. As before, we’ll examine alterations to existing scenes, followed by scenes not included in the theatrical release. There will then be a section devoted to audio differences. So, without further ado, let’s take a look at what has changed.

Click to continue

8)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #542 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 03:28 AM »
from DVDANSWERS

Star Wars: The Changes - Part Two

In the first of my three-part examination of the changes to the Star Wars trilogy I looked at the differences between the various releases of A New Hope. Now the time has come to turn my attention to my favourite instalment of the trilogy, The Empire Strikes Back. This instalment of the saga has suffered relatively minor changes when compared to the first film in the series, and many believe that of the three films, Empire is the least ‘tainted’. As before, we’ll examine alterations to existing scenes, followed by scenes not included in the theatrical release. There will then be a section devoted to audio differences. So, without further ado, let’s take a look at what has changed.

Click to continue

8)

well... again the most glaring improvement has been in the excellent restoration. some scenes were literally "lit up" so you can actually see them in more detail. while others were "darkened" to improve the "tone" of the scene as well as get rid of that "yup. we're shooting in a soundstage." feel (which is quite evident in scenes that take place inside ships!!).

except for the "muppet"ish wompa... i'd say i was very pleased with all the revisions. especially the ones made for continuity. i was particularly surprised to discover that most of the changes made were primarily to correct goofs spotted by fans (e.g. han solo's sleeves). i think it's comforting to know lucas actually listens to fans of the film, don't you think?  ;D

kudos to the guy who's doing these reviews! wow!... can't wait to see part three.  ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2004 at 03:30 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline weneklek

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #543 on: Oct 22, 2004 at 08:35 AM »
hey guys....my cousin from US sent me a boxset of starwars trilogy (ws)...but the box itself is different from the picture from amazon (black/silver)..mine is silver with big WIDESCREEN indicated on top..but the contents inside are the same...hmmmm what do u think?

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #544 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 01:26 AM »
hey guys....my cousin from US sent me a boxset of starwars trilogy (ws)...but the box itself is different from the picture from amazon (black/silver)..mine is silver with big WIDESCREEN indicated on top..but the contents inside are the same...hmmmm what do u think?

same as mine.. got it from amazon US.. yung widescreen inscription is printed on a different carton and detachable, right?

8)

Offline weneklek

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #545 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 07:43 AM »

same as mine.. got it from amazon US.. yung widescreen inscription is printed on a different carton and detachable, right?

8)

yeah i thought i got the special edition  ;D tnx mate

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #546 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 07:47 AM »
same here, the widescreen inscription and contents/spec sheet is detachable, almost like an afterthought. I nearly threw it out cause it's ugly.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #547 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 06:10 PM »
hey was surprised to see some big time directors in the dvd features of this set.  James Cameron, Ridley Scott, Lasseter and others..  and to find some snippets from Finding Nemo in a Fox DVD.. wow!!!

pero bakit nadun si Peter Jackson? is it because LOTR is considered/annointed as the new Star Wars of our time? or is he using ILM for the King Kong remake?

anyone knows?

???
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2004 at 06:17 PM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #548 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 06:23 PM »
Bro haven't watch the disc 4 of Star Wars Trilogy....yeah I consider LOTR as the Star Wars of today's generation.....that only means tumatanda na pala ako..... ;D 8)

Offline echo

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #549 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 10:39 PM »

well... again the most glaring improvement has been in the excellent restoration. some scenes were literally "lit up" so you can actually see them in more detail. while others were "darkened" to improve the "tone" of the scene as well as get rid of that "yup. we're shooting in a soundstage." feel (which is quite evident in scenes that take place inside ships!!).

except for the "muppet"ish wompa... i'd say i was very pleased with all the revisions. especially the ones made for continuity. i was particularly surprised to discover that most of the changes made were primarily to correct goofs spotted by fans (e.g. han solo's sleeves). i think it's comforting to know lucas actually listens to fans of the film, don't you think?  ;D

kudos to the guy who's doing these reviews! wow!... can't wait to see part three.  ;)

wow mr spaceman spiff lahat ang thread nandun kayo :), well i want you to be my mentor here.  san nyo po ba nabili yang starwars nyo? baka meron kayong alam na mura (wag po yung hologram ang cover po).  R1 po sana.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #550 on: Nov 03, 2004 at 01:19 PM »
Star Wars: The Changes - Part 3

Welcome to the third and final piece in my series of articles focusing on the alterations to the Star Wars trilogy. Although many believe Return of the Jedi to be the weakest of the original trilogy, mostly owing to the cuddly Ewoks, I’ve always enjoyed the film’s blend of action, drama and laughs. Return of the Jedi is similar to A New Hope in that it has received a number of more obvious alterations (unlike Empire, which had a larger number of minor alterations). Once again I will first be examining any major alterations to existing scenes, followed by a look at new footage and any obvious audio changes. So, let’s crack on with it.

click to continue

from DVDANSWERS

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2004 at 01:38 PM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline El Zar

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • Rebelde de Kamote
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #551 on: Nov 03, 2004 at 01:37 PM »
Got my R1 StarWars set from HK at last. HK$440. Around Php 3,080.
The box could've been better though.

Offline El Zar

• DVD Guru
  • Rebelde de Kamote
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #552 on: Nov 09, 2004 at 10:28 AM »

Thanks for the replies:

keating  :   Sony                    -   no skips
blitzkrieg:  Philips                  -   no skips
Rnold     :  ps2 & DVD-rom (pc) - pause & skip

So far, so good.

Ep 4, with Tarkin. Slight skip/ pause. My player's a Pioneer. Maybe I should try this on a Nextbase. This is the skippy part right ?

Offline mongaddi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Trapped inside this Octavarium
  • Liked:
« Reply #553 on: Nov 17, 2004 at 07:32 AM »
just got my R1 copy.

tips naman on how to open it with preserving the plastic. :)

i heard its hard to open

thanks!
I've been trying to justify you.
In the end I will just defy you.

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #554 on: Nov 17, 2004 at 11:38 AM »
Thanks to Mr. Hankey's post. was able to reverse the cardboard to the other side. Now its easy to remove the discs from the slip case. :)

and the shrink wrap is still intact  ;D

Relax. In my quest to "preserve the plastic" (a uniquely Filipino thing, I think  ;D ), I opened the box on the wrong side! If you completely tear off the plastic, the top part (where it says "Widescreen") and one side (with disc descriptions) is detached, then you can pull out the black slip case from inside and have access to the discs without opening the flap. Kaya lang, you'll either throw the disc descriptions or have it dangling loose.

For the VERY OC, I pulled off the plastic carefully, placed the program description carton on the opposite side, then replaced the plastic. Now I can pull out the black slip case, no longer having to open the box, and my set is still complete with program descriptions... and plastic shrink wrap.  ;D

I think it's about the same, SPiFF. The design on my picture seems less distinct due to reflection from the plastic cover, which I preserved. So it's just the Amaray cases/reverse-side printing that's different.

Offline ravencreed

• Collector
  • DVD ENTHUSIAST
  • Liked:
« Reply #555 on: Nov 19, 2004 at 07:43 PM »
Thanks to Mr. Hankey's post. was able to reverse the cardboard to the other side. Now its easy to remove the discs from the slip case. :)

and the shrink wrap is still intact  ;D

it had taken me also some time to open this up properly... preserving the shrink wrap.

then, i decided also to cover the inner box with  plastic cover ;D

Offline elmers

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #556 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 02:38 PM »

it had taken me also some time to open this up properly... preserving the shrink wrap.

then, i decided also to cover the inner box with  plastic cover ;D

ravencreed/mr. hankey,
i was fortunate enough to be in the USA when the dvd was released.  i bought it the night before going back to manila.  i was so excited that i hand carried it all the way to manila.  while waiting at the San Francisco airport, i decided to watch it and see what was new.  I tore off the plastic and plugged it into my laptop.  OOPs! too late. now I do not have the problem of preserving the plastic. 

I have not decided whether to put a plastic or not.  But right now, I keep it in a dust-free cabinet.  :D hopefully I can make it look new for a long time..  O0

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #557 on: Feb 01, 2005 at 12:11 PM »
would anyone know if the DVD release is the same edition as the old VCD box set release of VIVA?

???

i will sell my VCD if they are the same editions lang.  ;)

thanks

Offline 1ringwd4s

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • One Ring with The Force
  • Liked:
« Reply #558 on: Feb 01, 2005 at 03:02 PM »
would anyone know if the DVD release is the same edition as the old VCD box set release of VIVA?

???

i will sell my VCD if they are the same editions lang. ;)

thanks

Sell your VCDs. Get the DVDs! Theyre both different with tweaked scenes and stuff.  And you have to see the bonus disc included in the dvd boxset. its to die for!  :)
One Ring with The Force

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #559 on: Feb 02, 2005 at 08:14 PM »
i have both na.  :)

my problem is that if they are different versions, ill keep em both.

well are they different? if yes, please try to point out the main differences.

thanks.  :D

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #560 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 03:00 AM »
Star Wars Boxset

We've got a rare Sunday post for you with a bit of new Star Wars DVD news. At the Celebration III convention in Indianapolis this weekend, George Lucas let it slip that a new DVD box set of all 6 films is in the works, possibly to include an all-new bonus disc containing deleted scenes from the original trilogy. Expect no further changes in the films themselves. In addition, don't look for a high-definition release of the films in 2007. Lucas also confirmed that the digitally-screened version of Episode III will be slightly longer than the traditional film version.

from Digitalbits

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #561 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 09:45 AM »
Star Wars Boxset

We've got a rare Sunday post for you with a bit of new Star Wars DVD news. At the Celebration III convention in Indianapolis this weekend, George Lucas let it slip that a new DVD box set of all 6 films is in the works, possibly to include an all-new bonus disc containing deleted scenes from the original trilogy. Expect no further changes in the films themselves. In addition, don't look for a high-definition release of the films in 2007. Lucas also confirmed that the digitally-screened version of Episode III will be slightly longer than the traditional film version.

from Digitalbits

waiting for a boxset of all the 6 episodes, that's why i havent bought the trilogy yet  ::)

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #562 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 12:33 PM »
Star Wars Boxset

from Digitalbits

Oh no! Does this mean there won't be a boxset of Episodes 1-3. That'll suck hard!!! ;D Oh well, am crossing my fingers on this one. Although I'd still get the boxset of the 6 films, if there are no plans for the Ep.1-3 boxset. Darn!
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline jerq

• Collector
  • Waz up?
  • Liked:
« Reply #563 on: Apr 26, 2005 at 06:17 PM »
gastos nnman...... cgurado mas maganda to.....

sure na ba to??  dapat hnap na ako ng buyer ng unang box set.

hmmmm........ isisp isip.

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #564 on: Apr 26, 2005 at 07:24 PM »
i will definitely pass on this one but will just buy Episode III individually if only to complete this series.....i won't dispose my trilogy box set coz it is bound to become a collectable classic, parang di bagay isama ang Episode I, II & III w/ the original trilogy in one box..... :)

but that's just me...... 8)
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2005 at 09:03 PM by classicman »

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #565 on: Apr 26, 2005 at 09:46 PM »
if they'll include the 4,5 and 6 in it's original form with all the "proper" restorations, i'll get it!
kung hindi, i'll just wait for the boxset in a newer format!

O0
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 350
« Reply #566 on: Apr 27, 2005 at 08:55 AM »
Slightly OT.  But it's still early to put this in a separate thread, so better to post it here.  :)

From TheForce.Net:

C3: Revenge of the Sith DVD News
Posted By Scott on April 26, 2005

While at Celebration 3, I was able to find a couple of minor news updates on the Revenge of the Sith DVD. At the DK Publishing booth, they had a flyer for one of their upcoming Star Wars books that stated the book would be released to coincide with the debut of the ROTS DVD in the Fall of 2005. This at least tells us we're not going to have to wait a long time for it to come out.

I also got an autograph from Matthew Wood at the show. Wood is not only the voice of General Grievous, but one of the sound designers from the prequels. When I asked him what he was going to be working on next, he started that he's still working on scenes for the Revenge of the Sith DVD. He mentioned that these are deleted scenes which will be included later. Wood stated that one of them is a scene featuring General Grievous. So if you're a Grievous fan, expect more of him with the DVD release in the Fall.
We deserve better.

Offline baby

• DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #567 on: Apr 27, 2005 at 04:24 PM »
Slightly OT.  But it's still early to put this in a separate thread, so better to post it here.  :)

From TheForce.Net:

C3: Revenge of the Sith DVD News
Posted By Scott on April 26, 2005

While at Celebration 3, I was able to find a couple of minor news updates on the Revenge of the Sith DVD. At the DK Publishing booth, they had a flyer for one of their upcoming Star Wars books that stated the book would be released to coincide with the debut of the ROTS DVD in the Fall of 2005. This at least tells us we're not going to have to wait a long time for it to come out.

I also got an autograph from Matthew Wood at the show. Wood is not only the voice of General Grievous, but one of the sound designers from the prequels. When I asked him what he was going to be working on next, he started that he's still working on scenes for the Revenge of the Sith DVD. He mentioned that these are deleted scenes which will be included later. Wood stated that one of them is a scene featuring General Grievous. So if you're a Grievous fan, expect more of him with the DVD release in the Fall.
I'm a little bit bit of General Grievous fan.Medyo OT pero The General Grievous action figure is now 650 pesos from 400 pesos.at malapit na ma sold out. :)

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
This September: Original Unaltered Trilogy on DVD
« Reply #568 on: May 04, 2006 at 01:57 PM »
It's official:

http://starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

May 03, 2006

Fans can look forward to a September filled with classic Star Wars nostalgia, led by the premiere of LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy video game and the long-awaited DVD release of the original theatrical incarnations of the classic Star Wars trilogy.

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. International release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."

Offline 1ringwd4s

• DVD Addict
  • One Ring with The Force
  • Liked:
« Reply #569 on: May 04, 2006 at 02:51 PM »
Unaltered Star Wars Trilogy on dvd...  what a marketing ploy. They should have included the original version last 2004 when the boxset was released. Im getting tired of this even if im a die hard fan.  ::)
One Ring with The Force