Author Topic: Which LCD do you recommend, why?  (Read 2394 times)

Offline ericag_ph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which LCD do you recommend, why?
« on: Jul 21, 2006 at 04:46 PM »

Which 40-42" LCD do you recommend, why?  :-\

Samsung
Philips
Hitachi
Toshiba
Panasonic
etc...

...No no Sony please... 

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Which LCD do you recommend, why?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2006 at 05:09 PM »
I read somewhere that Samsung OEMs most of the LCDs of many brands including some of those you mentioned.  Sharp also OEMs and is said to be the leader in LCD manufacture.    I know Sony uses Samsung LCDs, but I'm at a lost which other brand uses which OEM.

Frankly, any of those brands should have excellent LCD resolution.    Forget about HDTV-ready.  Make sure it's HDTV, period.   With digital tuners and the right features like HDMI terminals and 1080p upsampling.  After sales support is very important.  In this area, I would think Samsung may have the edge.

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2006 at 06:43 PM »
Yep.. given also the very attractive pricing of Samsung LCDs now plus the upcoming models with white and maroon casing, I'd go for Samsing as well...

If your budget is a bit lower, try also the Yes LCD...

Offline sphanuel

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2006 at 01:36 AM »
If Budget is not the issue go for Philips Flagship, most feature packed(Ambilight 2, Pixel Plus 2 HD/Pixel Plus 3 HD Plus, Direct Play thru memory card)  among the brands you mentioned, runner up will be:

2. Samsung - for Service and Price Point
3. Toshiba - Mid Price Point

I think Hitachi and Panasonic don't have a 40 - 42 incher LCD's

P.S. Abenson Glorieta and Anson's Landmark has their 40" above displayed side by side.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2006 at 06:00 AM »
Thanks guys....  I had no idea that Samsung OEMs...that's a good thing :)

av_phile1...question...
I remember you may have posted something on HDTV-ready vs. HDTV...can you elaborate on the difference?

Thanks again.

Forget about HDTV-ready.  Make sure it's HDTV, period.   With digital tuners and the right features like HDMI terminals and 1080p upsampling.  After sales support is very important.  In this area, I would think Samsung may have the edge.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2006 at 10:32 AM »
If you are after the highest quality (even those that look good only on paper) and budget is not an object, note that Sharp commands close to 50% of the quality-conscious Japanese market.   That says a lot in a market that spends the most money for the most elaborate "side by side"  comparison set-ups.  Their panels are still made in their own factories in Japan. But Sharp does not make 40-42 inchers.  They have 37 and 45 inchers.   Sony trying to play catch-up had to rely on Samsung panels and they have managed to grab some market share by selling their 40 inchers at nearly the same price as Sharp's 37V.

Unfortunately, HD signal is not readily available in the Philippines to truly appreciate the quality difference.   SD broadcast and Sky cable on an LCD really s**ks.  DVD viewing is ok but still has a lot of room for improvement.  So perhaps investing so much money for very high quality LCD HDTV in the Philippines is not justifiable yet, unless you can easily afford it.

Offline kizzm

• Apprentice
  • Peace Off !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 06:35 PM »
Please do consider warrranty and customer support. I recently bought a Toshiba 42WL58, but before buying any LCD you have to do your homework comparing prices, features etc. But the big plus is the warranty that  only Toshiba offers 5 years warranty. Free of parts and labour, and if not repairable they will replace it with a brand new one. Peace of mind in short. It is one way of protecting your investment and years of enjoyment.

KizzM
N-SFX
Acoustics

Offline kizzm

• Apprentice
  • Peace Off !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 06:38 PM »
Sorry, here is the right pic with the 5 years warranty.

KizzM
N-SFX
Acoustics

Offline sphanuel

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 01:31 AM »
Thanks guys....  I had no idea that Samsung OEMs...that's a good thing :)

av_phile1...question...
I remember you may have posted something on HDTV-ready vs. HDTV...can you elaborate on the difference?

Thanks again.

Sir di po ako si sir av_phile but i think i can answer this one.

HDTV-ready/HD ready are those that didn't come with HD Tuners, so you will need a separate setup box for HD broadcast, most of the Flat Pannel here(Phil) don't have one.

HDTV's are those equip with HD tuners ready for HD broadcast, and some of those HDTV's comes with a cable card slot.

Offline apple_seed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 06:25 PM »
I'd go for Philips. Im a happy owner of a Philips LCD tv. Although Im getting rid of it because I want to upgrade to the new 9531 series with Ambilight & Pixel Plus 2 HD. But my current one is serving me fine, although its a pity there are no digital broadcasts available to view on the TV. I have no idea about Philips service support, though. Another good brand to consider is the Sharp Aquos line. I find it quite pricey, though.  :)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 09, 2006 at 11:22 AM »
I am using a Hitachi 32" LCD for my secondary (bedroom) setup.

Colors are rich and PQ is stunning even with my non progressive scan DVD player.

I love it! No regrets here.