Author Topic: buying a new LCD tv abroad: any suggestions?  (Read 1460 times)

Offline bardigones

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • angna angna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
buying a new LCD tv abroad: any suggestions?
« on: Jul 27, 2006 at 10:14 AM »
im buying a new LCD tv in the states, would you have any suggestions as what brand to look out for?

specs needed? any thing i should be concerned about like dead pixels, etc.

it will be used here in the Phils for cable tv, dvd and divx viewing.
im looking at widescreen 30" to 35" - US$1200 and below. bang for the buck sana. :)

more power to pinoydvd! :D
-
"The problem with quotes found on the internet is that they're not always accurate." - Abe Lincoln

Offline bayonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: buying a new LCD tv abroad: any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2006 at 05:34 AM »
if you can get a guarantee for an international warranty , it is still cheaper to buy an LCDTV abroad.

but even with an international warranty , you may have problems having the unit repaired or replaced once it's already in the phils and develops problems.

for piece of mind , i'd cough up the extra cash and buy locally ... nakakatulong ka pa sa mga local retailers natin never mind our corrupt government :(

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2006 at 08:50 AM »
30"-35" at US$1200 == P63,000

Have you factored in US sales taxes?
Shipping costs?
Taxes at customs?
Effort involved?

Just my 2 cents:

If you're going to take all this effort to bring something in (not sure how you are doing it though), but I suggest think "bigger screen" .... to make it worth your while....

You can probably get a larger LCD TV at $2500 from buy.com (50" Philips LCD-or Plasma I think).  For $1500 you can get a 42" LCD.  You can check it here:  http://www.buy.com/retail/specialty_store_7.asp?loc=50027

but here's the local alternative:

You can get a 32" Samsung LCD for P89,000 (I forget which model) with free SlimFit TV or Mobile Phone with
a 15 month local warranty.  Add P5000 (less than $100) and you can get a Home Theater kit (dvd player - amp with 5.1 speakers).  You can also get a "free" 20" LCD TV if you get the more expensive Samsung model at P99,000 (I think)

Is it worth the risk and trouble?

You can also get a 32" LCD for about P79,000 cash (or straight credit card purchase non-installment) I think the brand is Syntax, another is Hitachi.

Yes dead pixels is your basic problem with LCDs  (for Plasma it is burn-in, for Projection TVs/DLP TVs it is lamp life)

Here's my setup by the way:
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=55046.0

Oh, and according to one sales man (not sure if true), a Plasma is better suited for local cable TV, and the LCD for DVDs.
Personally, I prefer LCD due to "no" radiation daw and much better for the eyes.  I say "no" in quotes because even a light bulb has radiation.

im buying a new LCD tv in the states, would you have any suggestions as what brand to look out for?

specs needed? any thing i should be concerned about like dead pixels, etc.

it will be used here in the Phils for cable tv, dvd and divx viewing.
im looking at widescreen 30" to 35" - US$1200 and below. bang for the buck sana. :)

more power to pinoydvd! :D
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2006 at 09:03 AM by ericag_ph »

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2006 at 02:03 PM »
oh, you can also get a 42" Microtek (Plasma I think) for P79,000....there's an ongoing demo at the Mega Mall right now....
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2006 at 02:05 PM by ericag_ph »

Offline bardigones

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • angna angna
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2006 at 08:16 AM »
my uncle shipped an LCD-TV, 27(?)-inch Syntax from the states to the philippines, using a big box with lots of towels and blankets. last year pa yun. 1-month sa barko.

ok pa rin naman hanggang ngayon.

and thank you very much sa mga insights na binigay niyo. malaking tulong po.
-
"The problem with quotes found on the internet is that they're not always accurate." - Abe Lincoln

Offline mardoc

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 05:21 PM »
my uncle shipped an LCD-TV, 27(?)-inch Syntax from the states to the philippines, using a big box with lots of towels and blankets. last year pa yun. 1-month sa barko.

ok pa rin naman hanggang ngayon.

and thank you very much sa mga insights na binigay niyo. malaking tulong po.

Maswerte ka Bro. I was trying to shipped a 32" LCD tv thru these DOOR to DOOR carriers. Problema, the charges are more than the usual boxes. 2nd, they don't want to take any responsibility if something happens with your TV, so you will have to take the risk. Mabuti ginawa ng Uncle mo binalot niya maige with towel and blankets yung TV mo and that will absorb the impact of those rough shipping.