Author Topic: Toshiba HD-DVD player, available na ba locally?  (Read 69631 times)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Toshiba HD-DVD player, available na ba locally?
« Reply #60 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 02:30 PM »
toshiba hd dvd now available at $399 sa amazon.  if one uses Johnny air cargo at their $5.5/lb + $5 processing fee (exclusive to Pinoydvd members) , and at 26 lbs, shipping would amount to $150 +/-.  Converted to Peso, whole package would amount to P28548.   Not bad...if you compare it to local prices of 35-40k... (I believe dutes and taxes is inclusive sa shipping fee ng JAC).

Offline cardo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • New
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 02:36 PM »
In order to have HD (or near-HD) quality on your display you need an HD DVD player or one that has upscaling, through the HDMI input. I'm not sure if I got your entire post right, but the reason why it's only a blue screen on HD is because its not getting any data through the HD input. If you don't have an HD-DVD player, check if your Philips has upscaling through HDMI output, and that will improve the quality by a considerable margin over the yellow video cable, but don't expect it to be HD quality though. I personally haven't tried HD at home (no funds :)) but from my own experience even the component video has great results over the standard video input.

pero di ba pag may HDMI sya, HD capable na yun player right? or not necessarily? or maybe its just near HD quality because of the HD upscale? :)

actually, on the player it says HDMI. I have it connect thru the HDMI input of the LCD TV. When I put in a DVD I got from the US(reg 1), there's a message its a "non-HD disc or something, not supported etc ok?"... I choose ok and bluescreen comes out. switching to the analog video input of the lcd tv, may picture naman. pag bootleg sinaksak ko, ok naman sya thru HDMI output ng player at meron pic sa tv. ewan ko lang kung "video upscaling" ginagawa nya sa mga bootleg dvd's. what do you think? maybe huh?

hmmm... probably kelangan ko ng orig HD-DVD disc ;D kapag orig DVD disc(like my ultimated jordan dvd) parang hindi nya ginagamit yun HDMI output. is this normal? maybe I bought a crappy player hehehe ;D anyways...

Also, I have it defaulted to 1080i. ok lang naman to ano?

eto pala yun specs nya.

Philips DVP5900/05 DivX DVD Player with HDMI

Product Features:
HDMI digital AV connection for perfect quality
Video upscaling for improved resolution of up to 1080i lines
Displays High Definition pictures (JPEG) in true resolution
Progressive Scan for razor sharp and flicker free images
192kHz/24-bit audio DAC delivers high quality audio
Plays DVD, DVD+R/RW, (S)VCD, DivX 3.11/4.x/5.x/6.x, MPEG4
Plays CD, MP3-CD, CD-R/RW & Windows Media Audio
Picture CD (JPEG) playback
Dimensions [WxHxD] 562 x 85 x 411 mm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-DVP5900-05-DivX-Player/dp/B000AS1N1M
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2006 at 02:41 PM by cardo »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 02:42 PM »
toshiba hd dvd now available at $399 sa amazon.  if one uses Johnny air cargo at their $5.5/lb + $5 processing fee (exclusive to Pinoydvd members) , and at 26 lbs, shipping would amount to $150 +/-.  Converted to Peso, whole package would amount to P28548.   Not bad...if you compare it to local prices of 35-40k... (I believe dutes and taxes is inclusive sa shipping fee ng JAC).

How about customs duties?  Magkano kaya madadagdag?  Might reach 35T.  40T seems to include retailer/importer profit margin and adminsitrative overhead.   Actually that's small for consumer electronic profit.   ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2006 at 02:44 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 02:46 PM »
was just on the phone with JAC, local duties and taxes is already inclusive to the rates.  One huge risk.....getting a lemon for a unit.  if you order now, you can get it within a week....2 weeks longest.. :)
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2006 at 02:50 PM by Munskie »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 02:56 PM »
pero di ba pag may HDMI sya, HD capable na yun player right? or not necessarily? or maybe its just near HD quality because of the HD upscale? :)

There are only three brands at the moment that can play high definition discs.  These are Toshiba HD-A1 and RCA (rebadged Toshiba) for the HD-DVD format, and the Samsung BDP-1000 for the Blu Ray format.

While the HD in HDMI means High Definition, this is just an interface format.  Many upscale receivers and DVD players today have HDMI terminals.  But except for those two above, and some newer models from Pioneer and Sony just about to launch, all HDMI equipped DVD players at this time are not high definition, only upsampling players.  Your Philips is another upscaling DVD player that will NOT play either HD-DVD or Blu ray discs.   But it can upsample standard resolution or SD DVDs from their native 480i encoded resolution to something higher often up to 1080i.

Philips DVP5900/05 DivX DVD Player with HDMI

Product Features:
HDMI digital AV connection for perfect quality
Video upscaling for improved resolution of up to 1080i lines
Displays High Definition pictures (JPEG) in true resolution
Progressive Scan for razor sharp and flicker free images
192kHz/24-bit audio DAC delivers high quality audio
Plays DVD, DVD+R/RW, (S)VCD, DivX 3.11/4.x/5.x/6.x, MPEG4
Plays CD, MP3-CD, CD-R/RW & Windows Media Audio
Picture CD (JPEG) playback
Dimensions [WxHxD] 562 x 85 x 411 mm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-DVP5900-05-DivX-Player/dp/B000AS1N1M

It obviously doesn't play HD-DVD or Blu Ray discs.  Nothing in the features say so.  As I expect.

Sometimes, if not often,  manufacturers can really get into my nerves for taking advantage of  less informed consumer market.  
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2006 at 03:02 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 03:00 PM »
was just on the phone with JAC, local duties and taxes is already inclusive to the rates.  One huge risk.....getting a lemon for a unit.  if you order now, you can get it within a week....2 weeks longest.. :)

If that's the case, then the online price is a relative bargain. 

Most posters at an avforum I vist who ordered this model online also got 7 free HD-DVD titles of their choice from www.movietyme.com.  That was late last month and early this.  When I checked the other day, the model is out of stock.  They have the more expensive XA1 and still offers 6 or 7 free HD-DVD titles. 

And from their discussions, I have yet to encounter a complaint about a lemon.   But that doesn't mean there won't be sooner or later.    ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2006 at 03:11 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 03:08 PM »
Also, I have it defaulted to 1080i. ok lang naman to ano?

Check the native resolution of your LCD display.  Even if the player outputs at its highest upsampled resolution, if the display cannot go 1080i, it will downscale the input to whatever its native reslution is.  Often at 768p.  But that doesn't mean you'll get crap.  It's still a notch above ordinary displays. 

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 03:15 PM »
If that's the case, then the online price is a relative bargain. 

Most posters at an avforum I vist who ordered this model online also got 7 free HD-DVD titles of their choice from www.movietyme.com.  That was late last month and early this.  When I checked the other day, the model is out of stock.  They have the more expensive XA1 and still offers 6 or 7 free HD-DVD titles. 

And from their discussions, I have yet to encounter a complaint about a lemon.   But that doesn't mean there won't be sooner or later.    ;D
im just holding the horses.....its really a very good opportunity to enojy HD.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 03:26 PM »
pardon me for my ignorance...thing is, when I play those DVD's I got from the US(after hacking it to be multi region)

How did you hack it to multi region?  I can only guess that the hacking may have adverrsely affected your unit.  I find it strange that bootleg DVDs (mostly Region 0) can be upscaled via HDMI while your legit R1 discs can't but will only show via analog connection.  Are you sure this happens to ALL legit R1 discs?  How about legit R3 discs? 
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2006 at 03:28 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 03:36 PM »
im just holding the horses.....its really a very good opportunity to enojy HD.

Toshiba is unveiling the next generation HD-DVD players this weekend at the CEDIA 2006 in Denver.  But I read it will just be the North American version of the European XE1 using Intel Dual Core plus 1080p and HDMI1.3.  So expect the A1 to come down in price further after this.  Pre or post Christmas might be a good time to get one. 

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2006 at 03:40 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline cardo

• Apprentice
  • New
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 05:00 PM »
this is the steps i got from the net

1) Open tray
2) press "9" "9" "9" "9" "OK" "0" - The 0 is for Any Region
3) "Play"

ah, so the HDMI is just another cool techie way of confusing dummies like me  ;D anyway, I think its a level up the component video right?

thanks for the info though. cool stuff  :)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 06:26 PM »

I think its a level up the component video right?

It is way better.  HDMI allows the video signal to remain in the digital domain between player and display.  No digital to analog conversion when gettting out the component connection route, and no analog to digital conversion when the signal is received at the display side.  So no signal conversion losses.

With regards the hacking steps, try to undo it and see if you still have the same problem.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2006 at 06:39 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 07:50 AM »
it would have been much better to wait for the 2nd gen players. It has btter specs in the form of the duo core processor, and sleeker design but the lower priced hd-a2 has no multi-channel analog outs...while x-a2 is priced at $999.  waiting for the prices of the hd-a1 to  go down a little bit more might pose a risk.....the risk of stocking out. 

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 08:00 AM »
I think it already is out of stock.  Movietyme no longer has one.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 10:47 AM »
I saw some HD DVD's here locally yesterday... selling at about P1700+ @ the Paradigm showroom. I saw Dolby digital plus and DTS something at the back...cool!

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 10:56 AM »
I saw some HD DVD's here locally yesterday... selling at about P1700+ @ the Paradigm showroom. I saw Dolby digital plus and DTS something at the back...cool!
if you order at amazon most are priced at $19.95 (some at $23.95), if you get three, you'll have 10 percent discount for a year.  add about 3-4 dollars per title for shipping on the average..... after computation and conversion at P51 to a $.....P1100-1200.   :)

im waiting for alvinthx2's review on the newest sound format, Dolby TrueHD 5.1, wala pa yung titles nya na meron sound format na ganun.. :)
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2006 at 10:57 AM by Munskie »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 11:59 AM »
if you order at amazon most are priced at $19.95 (some at $23.95), if you get three, you'll have 10 percent discount for a year.  add about 3-4 dollars per title for shipping on the average..... after computation and conversion at P51 to a $.....P1100-1200.   :)

im waiting for alvinthx2's review on the newest sound format, Dolby TrueHD 5.1, wala pa yung titles nya na meron sound format na ganun.. :)

It's often cheaper buying online  for newly released titles.

Regarding DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, there is no known receiver on earth that can yet process these formats.  The decoding is strictly confined in the player.    And only players with HDMI 1.3 like the second generation Toshiba HD players can carry the immense data of these formats.  But they're basically useless  as the studios have yet to allow the raw datastream to escape the player.  So for most practical HD audio uses, HDMI 1.3 is really irrelevant at the moment.  Ofcourse that could change later.

But no matter, the player decodes DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio into multichannel LPCM and sends them as such over HDMI 1.1.  HDMI equiped recievers can accept these datastreams and you get essentially what the two formats deliver - the finest digital audio quality comparable to SACD and DVD-A.  This is now the new paradigm.  Whereas before, toslink, i-link and d-link allow a DVD player to become a digital transport unit where the processing is done on the pre/pro section of the receiver, now  the players will do the audo decoding.  The studios want it that way to minimizie the risk of having  pirates capture the escaping raw datastreams via HDMI 1.3.  At any rate, the conversion to LPCM is not strictly a conversion as both compressed formats naturally uncompresses into LPCM.  And whether done in the player or the receiver via HDMI1.3, the result is the same multichanel LPCM fed to the DAC circuits.

Alternatively, if you have no HDMI facility and you want to use your current s/pdif connection, the audio tracks on the HD-DVD contain standard DTS MAXIMIZED at 1500mbps bit rates so the quality is still awesome compared to existing DTS tracks on SD DVD which are seldom maximized (0ften just half their max bitrates) except for superbit versions. 

Last option, and just as good accdg to some pundits, is to use the 5.1 analog connection much like what many use for SACD and DVD-A. 
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2006 at 12:11 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #77 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 12:44 PM »
munskie mukang go na go ka na sa hd-dvd a! ;D pull the trigger pare baka maubusan ka na!

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 12:49 PM »
hmmmm....still waiting.. :)

Offline striderhiryu1

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Sep 16, 2006 at 04:22 PM »
Got a good deal on a Japanese Toshiba HD-DVD so I got one as well... while waiting for the US HD-A1

Front

Back  (has the D4 connection in addition to  component and HDMI)

The default menu is Japanese but can be easily changed to English.  The remote however is in Japanese.  I was able to upgrade to FW2.0 via web without a hitch

Toshiba AX-1 with Panasonic AE-700 .  Time to upgrade the projector

I have not watched any HD-DVD as I'm awaiting for my Amazon orders but so far so good with SD DVDs at 720p. 

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Sep 16, 2006 at 04:52 PM »
Got a good deal on a Japanese Toshiba HD-DVD so I got one as well... while waiting for the US HD-A1

wow!! congrats on your new toy!! r u gonna get two hd dvd players?  the model you got, the hd-xa1 is the pricier model than the hd-a1, how much did you get for your japan model xa1?  better get na lang a universal remote like logitech harmony, the toshiba remote sucks, as reported... :)
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2006 at 05:51 PM by Munskie »

Offline striderhiryu1

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Sep 16, 2006 at 06:15 PM »
Around US$590 based on current exchange rate.   Will be bringing the AX1 sa RP once the G2 units come-out. 

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Sep 16, 2006 at 06:29 PM »
waiting for those HD DVDs is such a pain noh?  ;D ;D oh  btw, acddg to early CEDIA reports, improvements in loading times between G1 and G2 improved by 20 seconds....and some onlookers are jumping over the g1 units coz it is perceived to give them more value, especially the HD-A1, which is priced now at $399 in amazon.  The G2 equivalent unit, HD-A2 doesnt have analog 5.1 outputs (thats a sacrilege!! and will be priced at $499) and maxes out at 1080i.  The pricier model HD-XA2, will be priced at $999, but now 1080p capable.  Tosh gave "free lunch" over the first gen players........I think they would want to cut losses now on the supposed subsidies they did......
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2006 at 06:36 PM by Munskie »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Sep 16, 2006 at 07:27 PM »
Nice new toy there.  I am very green with envy.   ;D

Tosh took a loss and priced its A1 to penetrate the market easily.  Typical Jap strategy for new products.  And I am sure they'll try to recover with G2 releases.  But really now, 20secs faster on those G2 machines doesn't seem impressive enough when you consider the wait on the A1 is around 100 secs.  And let's not be overly excited with 1080p - not really needed to enjoy true HD with screens that already upsample to 1080p.   At amazon prices, the A1 is indeed a great value at this time for practical HD HT purposes.  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2006 at 07:33 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 09:39 PM »
UPS shipping had the package at 13lbs, hmmm, wondering why its specified at 26 lbs in amazon....if its 13 lbs...then shipping charges should be cut by half from there to here.....that would make it P25k+/-

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 09:59 PM »
With the volume of shipments they handle daily, someone may have misread the weighing scales.  ;D  Either that or they're making a generous 50% discount on shipping.   Lucky you.   ;D

Offline striderhiryu1

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Sep 19, 2006 at 10:59 AM »
Finally got the US HD DVD player and the 3 HD-DVD software.  Played Phantom of the Opera in the Japanese AX1... slow loading time compared to  current DVD players.   The volume of sound in   Phantom is very low so have to crank up my 7 yr. old DSP-A1 amp. to compensate.  Will  check TruHD later.  Picture was also soft at times (I though I was watching regular HDTV movie broadcast from my local provider).

I am a fan of the Firefly series so was very excited to watch Serenity.  WOW.  The picture was amazing even only using AE-700 in a 100 inch screen.   Another reason to upgrade to 1080p projection or plasma later.  True hometheater fans should go hd-dvd.  I wish the software catalog increases since I can only count a few movies I want to buy in current line-up.   I’m no longer buying SD DVDs.  Either  1080i broadcast/cable or  HD-DVD and possibly blu-ray when PS3 comes out or a reasonable blu-ray player comes in.

Anybody using a Panasonic 65PX500 plasma (last years model?) 

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Sep 19, 2006 at 11:12 AM »
wow...congrats strider....nice to hear your comments.  come this third quarter, there will be 150-200 titles to choose from.....and hope that some studios cross the line...  Its been said that Serenity is a great PQ demo material for HD DVD.  again, congrats strider.... ;D  when i saw the demo of one of the members here...im convinced too

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Sep 19, 2006 at 03:51 PM »
Finally got the US HD DVD player and the 3 HD-DVD software.  Played Phantom of the Opera in the Japanese AX1... slow loading time compared to  current DVD players.   The volume of sound in   Phantom is very low so have to crank up my 7 yr. old DSP-A1 amp. to compensate.  Will  check TruHD later.  Picture was also soft at times (I though I was watching regular HDTV movie broadcast from my local provider).

I am a fan of the Firefly series so was very excited to watch Serenity.  WOW.  The picture was amazing even only using AE-700 in a 100 inch screen.   Another reason to upgrade to 1080p projection or plasma later.  True hometheater fans should go hd-dvd.  I wish the software catalog increases since I can only count a few movies I want to buy in current line-up.   I’m no longer buying SD DVDs.  Either  1080i broadcast/cable or  HD-DVD and possibly blu-ray when PS3 comes out or a reasonable blu-ray player comes in.

Anybody using a Panasonic 65PX500 plasma (last years model?) 

Same here, after watching what HD-DVD can do, I can't seem to pull myself to buy anymore DVDs.  ;D

With regards your plan to get a plasma, compare one with a Bravia or an Aquos LCD.  You'd be blown away by either. 

If only the prices would come down for the HDTVs and the HD players, then I can say the DVD is DEAD.  No ifs no buts.  Ofcourse, just like the VHS and the VCDs, DVD zombies will still be around for awhile.  Though that won't happen anytime soon. 

Finally, you now have an upscale video product your non-high def HT friends can drool about until they reach mass market prices.  Congrats and enjoy!!! ;D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Sep 19, 2006 at 03:55 PM »
wow...congrats strider....nice to hear your comments.  come this third quarter, there will be 150-200 titles to choose from.....and hope that some studios cross the line...  Its been said that Serenity is a great PQ demo material for HD DVD.  again, congrats strider.... ;D  when i saw the demo of one of the members here...im convinced too

This October 10, Warner will release 5 new HD-DVD titles that include Batman Begins, Charlie and the Choc Factory, Willie Wonka and the Choc Factory, The Polar Express and The Corpse Bride.