Author Topic: Poor man's soundproofing?  (Read 16936 times)

Offline wolvenfang

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Don't beat urself up!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Poor man's soundproofing?
« on: Aug 27, 2006 at 06:41 PM »
nagrereklamo na kasi kapitbahay...kahit mas maingay sila sa amin...lol.

exept think curtains and think carpets, what else would u put to block sound from escaping your HT room?
my HT room is also my DIning room, living room and kitchen and recieving room...maliit lang kasi na up and down apartment to... hehe.

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2006 at 10:40 PM by savagecross »

Offline wolvenfang

• Collector
  • Don't beat urself up!
  • Liked:
Re: Poor man's acoustic treatment?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2006 at 06:51 PM »
im thinking of putting sound absorption strips on the main reflection surfaces, but where do i buy these? how much? what is a cheaper alternative? and what are they made of?

Offline stereophile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • What matters is in the groove...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2006 at 08:53 PM »
You can try egg-crate foam. I've seen some rooms with this treatment. You can probably get this at factory price from Uratex. Their plant is along the service road between Sucat & Alabang(same side as (Makro). Hope this helps solve your problem.

Offline wolvenfang

• Collector
  • Don't beat urself up!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2006 at 09:23 PM »
just foam then?  how much would these cost? may landline b uratex?

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2006 at 09:43 PM »
I think you cant do much in soundproofing with your situation, but you can make your system sound better by putting absorbing panels on main reflective areas  :)  DIY lang bro, kasi mahal ang mga ready panels supplied by AV shops
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2006 at 09:45 PM by Munskie »

Offline wolvenfang

• Collector
  • Don't beat urself up!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2006 at 10:36 PM »
yeah the neighbors just sent the police the other day...nagsorry nalng ako...lol.

well how about egg-crate foam? would that help in soundproofing the room? how do i go about installing it?

since the kitchen is also in it egg crate foam would be a no-no...gah...

hinaan ko nalng kaya yung volume when watching? ...wla na thrill dun... :(

Offline stereophile

• Collector
  • What matters is in the groove...
  • Liked:
Re: Poor man's soundproofing?
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2006 at 10:52 PM »
Don't know their landline. They are open 8:30am to 5:30pm. Since these are locally made, they shouldn't be as expensive as the ready made ones in AVstores. I'd put them at the reflection points, and maybe a few on the side of your neightbor. You would have to experiment. Some glue this to the walls once they have figured out the optimum placement and number. You could use velcro, so that they are removeable/re-positionable. These are usually sold in the size of bed mattresses. A cutter blade and straight edge will be helpfull tools. Just be careful.

Another material I saw in another house are the cardboard egg crate holder for a dozen eggs. What this guy did was buy many of them and painstakingly glued them to his ceiing. Took a whole afternoon and xtra hands. I suppose you could glue it also to walls. Ask your wife muna... ::)

I don't know which of the two is cheaper. Only thing I can think of is that you can use the foam to line beds/upholstery should your experiment fail. The cardboard egg crates will be useful if you own a poultry or consume that many eggs... :o

The best way to soundproof/isolate a room is to use double walls, with glass filler in between. This will be the most expensive option. :( This is the only way I know to totally isolate sound from entering/exiting a room. In addition to the double walls, sound absorbent materials are attached to a walls. Carpeting on the floors wll help acoustics. You will achieve better sound for our system and peace & quiet for your neighbor.

BTW, you did not mention how close your neighbor is, what material your walls are made off, what flooring you have, current room treatments? Some pics will be helpful for others to give inputs.
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2006 at 09:04 AM by stereophile »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2006 at 11:01 AM »
First and foremost. WHAT kind of sound reaches your neighbors?

Usually its the LF sounds that escape to your neighbors. LF sound pentrates walls easily. Its also why when there are SARAO jeeps passing by with loud sounds, you hear the LF only & no the HF.

If LF is the problem, you better put bass traps where necessary. Ricky also has this problem in their condo. I suggested that he put bass traps on the entire wall where his neighbors are.

Offline wolvenfang

• Collector
  • Don't beat urself up!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2006 at 04:08 PM »
you said it sir mazter...the LF is killing my neighbors hehe...some HF escapes but not that much naman..

bass traps sir, how much and where to buy it? is there a diy solution? how to make it? materials? sorry for all the questions... :)

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2006 at 04:14 PM »
just foam then? how much would these cost? may landline b uratex?

before it was around P500 for the size similar to that of a single bed...normally it is in yellow or blue color...check the website of uratex as well...thanks! good luck!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2006 at 04:38 PM »
Ganito lang yan. Get a carpenter & follow the Deep bass trap instructions.

Offline wolvenfang

• Collector
  • Don't beat urself up!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2006 at 10:22 PM »
any recommendations on carpenters? lahat ng kilala kong carpenters in in my province kasi..how much would it cost?

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2006 at 11:09 PM »
There is a lot of misinformation in this forum about soundproofing. It is very different from what we perceive as acoustic treatment. Putting egg cartons acoustic foam, panels and bass traps will not solve your problem.  the idea about soundproofing is how you could isolate the sound inside from coming out or the other way around. The best soundproofing is based on construction techniques on how sound vibrations from going out(as in your case). soundproofing is as effective as your weakest link. Most of the time the door is the culprit. You have to have a heavy door with a lot of mass which means the thicker the better. It should also have some sort of weatherproofing so that the sound will not get through the seams especially under the door. a double door configuration, like those used in cinemas will do wonders because the sound attenuated by one door, say a reduction of 30dB will again be reduced by 30dB by the other door. The unit of measure that they use in soundproofing is STC (sound transmission coefficient). A thick 8 inch concrete wall might have a Stc of 55 dB which means if the maximum loudness in your home theater is around 105 dB then that wall will reduce it to 50 dB ( which is already tolerable for your neighbors). As I have said, it is the weakest link that matters. Heavy doors have a reduction of around 35 dB, so the outside sound will still be 70 dB. still quite loud. We are only talking about published STC figures from 125 hertz to 4000 hertz, low frequency is much more difficult to deal with.(subwoofer) even with a Stc of 55 dB for thick walls, it might just have a low frequency Stc of 15 dB, which means at maximum home theater level of 105 dB, outside it is still 90 dB and that is loud.

A small hole, an open window will be your weakest link. sound will go out even the hole is just 1 cm. in diameter. that is how soundproofing is so difficult to solve.

The cheapest way is really to make friends with your neighbor and invite them for a home cinema experience.

Soundproofing can be done, but it is very expensive to do it right. Special materials like resilient channels, double pane glass, metal doors and viscous damping material are just some of those used by pros.
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2006 at 11:55 PM by alvinthx2 »
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 11:25 AM »
The cheapest way is really to make friends with your neighbor and invite them for a home cinema experience.

Hmm, the cheapest alternative is... San Mig Light and BOY BAWANG. ;D

Offline BongerDude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Gonna keep on tryin til I reach my highest ground
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 01:12 PM »
Hmm, the cheapest alternative is... San Mig Light and BOY BAWANG. ;D

Ahem...........................................................   
                                                                       I
                                                                       I
                                                                       I
                                                                       I
                                                                       V
Technics SL1200 mk2
Macbook Pro
Schiit Bifrost UberUSBgen2
JDLabs Aikido
JDLabs Monos
PSB Image B6

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 01:18 PM »
Right on the money ;D
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline Jason_10

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • V6 24V
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2006 at 12:12 AM »
door stop seals and rubber seals for the door edge(if there are gaps) decrease the sound(aka "noise" for your neighbors) from escaping. 
From chaos, comes clarity...

Offline CeeV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2007 at 08:49 AM »
door stop seals and rubber seals for the door edge(if there are gaps) decrease the sound(aka "noise" for your neighbors) from escaping. 

Yan ang tagal ko na hanap bossing....do you know where i could buy one?  naghanap na kse ko sa mga ACE hardware and Handyman wla daw cla nun, they only have para sa bottom part ng door to seal the door from the flooring but am looking for the all around sealing just like ung mga nkainstall in some Hotel door....Pls..pakipost naman I could purchase nun door sealer..Salamat po

Offline Brian_mico

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Addict
  • Dakilang mangbabakal at magbobote
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2007 at 04:28 PM »
Yan ang tagal ko na hanap bossing....do you know where i could buy one?  naghanap na kse ko sa mga ACE hardware and Handyman wla daw cla nun, they only have para sa bottom part ng door to seal the door from the flooring but am looking for the all around sealing just like ung mga nkainstall in some Hotel door....Pls..pakipost naman I could purchase nun door sealer..Salamat po

same thing here.. ang tagal ko nang naghahanap nyan.. I do have same problem with sir Savage ..

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2007 at 09:07 PM »
Raven brand seals from True Value, Ace Hardware etc

Offline CeeV

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2007 at 08:39 AM »
Raven seals eto ung stick on na to put in the Door Frame..aka Hamba ..but i find this to be easily stripped out and not that effective so costly pa P500++ one set..What am looking at was the one installed in some Hotel it looks like the rubber seals of the Refrigerator..bale me framing sya na aluminum and inserted ung rubber. Anybody knew the supplier of this?

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2007 at 10:30 PM »
Try looking at imported aluminum doors and windows. Air tight but it wont be a poor man's soundproofing. Do you have an extra room where you can easily control the sound rather than the living room with several doors and windows.

Offline CeeV

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 18, 2007 at 08:38 PM »
 :-[...ay bossing..not a poormans soundproofing na ba? well my planned lang naman is for our master bedroom..and  the kids bedroom as well...my thinking was not only the soundproofing benefits but also the a/c efficiency as well. Napansin ko lang kase na most of the air leaks is coming from the door and windows..sa windows I did put ung Raven seals. Thnanks sir..will try those u mentioned.

Offline Jason_10

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • V6 24V
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2007 at 12:58 PM »
meron din raven brand na door seal. its screwed at the base of the door, parang rubber flap/seal. solves the air/noise leak.

i am also looking for an alternative rubber/foam seal for the gaps. mejo expensive nga yung raven.
From chaos, comes clarity...

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2007 at 11:43 AM »
also, any sealing for windows?

the windows in our house seem to be the main source of sound escaping...
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #25 on: Apr 14, 2007 at 04:38 AM »
What am looking at was the one installed in some Hotel it looks like the rubber seals of the Refrigerator..bale me framing sya na aluminum and inserted ung rubber. Anybody knew the supplier of this?

my Vignet uPVC windows have this type of rubber seals. maybe this can be fitted also in other window materials. look for Vignet uPVC windows dealer nalang to find out. all i can say is when my windows are shut, the noise coming from the outside is dramatically reduced.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2007 at 04:40 AM by GneW »

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2007 at 07:34 PM »
The best sound proofing is to put a vacuum between your room and the neighbors. Build a room within a room. Audible sound does not travel through a vacuum (ie.  no one can hear you scream in outer space).   ;D

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2007 at 08:55 AM »
Kaya nga, kapag nanonood ako nang STAR WARS bakit may Explosion? ???

Offline ianmorales

• Collector
  • Virus stricken!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2007 at 09:53 AM »
I was cruising the stretch of evangelista (bangkal) yesterday, i saw those office partition wich is good for sound proofing.  its about1 3x3 meters and its color blue. Sayang hinde ko lang natanong if how much.  Those office partition is conventional you can make a small cubicle like those in banks.

Offline Dingdong Amandy

• Collector
  • isang HT and Audio lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007 at 10:58 AM »
http://dcph.info/v2008/