Author Topic: Syntax anyone?  (Read 1222 times)

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
Syntax anyone?
« on: Sep 03, 2006 at 11:35 PM »
I'm lurking the TV shops in preparation to eventually buying a flat panel TV (40" +).  Am not in a hurry because for one, I know prices will continue to go down and second, there are as yet not too many HD players and media to take advantage of the hi-res these TV's can dish out.

Having said that I am definitely less impressed with plasma units when it comes to hi-res.  Based on my occular inspections, it's clear that if one wants the ultimate hi-res, LCD is the way to go.

I was at Ansons Makati this morning and after gawking at the impressive hi-res the Sony Bravias and Samsung Bordeaux LCDs were playing, I was positively floored by the 42" Syntax LCD on display. No kidding but it out-hi-ressed the already mouth watering Samsungs at a price point 20K cheaper (159K versus 179K for the 40" Bordeaux). Any experience or comments on these Syntax TV's anyone?
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose IƱigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Syntax anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2006 at 12:07 AM »
you may want to browse the LCD or plasma boards... I think there's already a Kolin Syntax thread there

Offline letranboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 11:58 PM »
i post a comp comparison of the syntax, LG, pioneer, and samsung plasma or lcd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2006 at 12:56 AM »
i post a comp comparison of the syntax, LG, pioneer, and samsung plasma or lcd

You mean posted as in past tense?  Can you post the link? Thanks.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2006 at 03:50 PM »
Saw this 42"Syntax at Digital Plaza, Gateway mall. Grabe labo! Its like watching in a projector with lots of lights around. I was really wondering who the hell's gonna buy that. Ang mahal pa.  ;D ;D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2006 at 09:57 AM »
I'm learning as I read more and one lesson I've learned aside from it's too early to buy into HD is this:

Don't judge an HDTV based on how good or how bad its display looks at the store.  Take for example the 42" Syntax that wowed me so at Ansons.  When I went back there and after really checking, I learned that they were using a special upsampling HD player from Syntax which is not for sale anywhere. So while it showed the Syntax's ultimate capability(which is awesome PQ), it unfairly gave the brand an unfair PQ advantage over the other brands in the store that were using ordinary DVD's.  Hindi apple to apple ang comparison.

My advise to everyone, don't rush your purchase, read and learn, and don't buy into the hype of those marketing people.

At this stage for me, there simply isn't enough HD media available to justify buying an HDTV now.  Next year maybe. We will see.  Plus prices will be going down on these flat HDTV's.  You can bet on that.