Author Topic: Dynaudio Speakers  (Read 129943 times)

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 946
Re: Dynaudio Speakers
« Reply #360 on: Oct 10, 2011 at 06:48 PM »
Classe CA100: 200 watts @ 4 ohms/channel powering my 1.8MKII Contours.
ADCOM GFA6000: 225 watts @ 4 ohms/channel powering my Audience center.

Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline cia

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #361 on: Oct 11, 2011 at 07:08 AM »
Special 25 driven by Audio Research VS110, 100wpc.
Audience 122c driven by Rotel RMB1075, 120wpc.

Offline armymanhaha

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #362 on: Oct 29, 2011 at 09:45 PM »
San ba nakakabili ng 2nd hand or used na Audience 42/52 sa Manila?
"Audiophools layuan nyo ako"

Offline [joms]

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #363 on: Jan 14, 2012 at 12:08 PM »
kaya na bang i drive ng onkyo 609 yung mga audience 40/42/52 and the newer dyns?
Great minds discuss ideas. Small minds discuss people.

Offline armymanhaha

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: Jan 14, 2012 at 02:17 PM »
Another question although mukhang patay na tong thread. Malaki ba pinagkaiba ng sonic qualities ng Dynaudio Audience 42 sa Excite X12? Currently have the 42s but thinking of purchasing the X12. May nakapag A/B test na ba?

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #365 on: Jan 14, 2012 at 03:59 PM »
Another question although mukhang patay na tong thread. Malaki ba pinagkaiba ng sonic qualities ng Dynaudio Audience 42 sa Excite X12? Currently have the 42s but thinking of purchasing the X12. May nakapag A/B test na ba?

Yup. Ako. Imho very little difference since the x12 are replacements for the 42. If you want a big difference get the higher focus series. Parang may binebentang murang focus 110 dito.

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: Jan 14, 2012 at 05:34 PM »
kaya na bang i drive ng onkyo 609 yung mga audience 40/42/52 and the newer dyns?

Kaya sir. We have a small set up that uses an Onkyo AVR powering A50s, A42C in the front and A42s in the rear plus a 12 inch Dyn sub. The room is around 18ft x 12ft x 8ft and the set up can fill it with sound. The newer Dynes are a much easier load to AVRs (excite)
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Billabong

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #367 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 03:16 AM »

If I may ask, what equipments (amp, source, cables..etc) are you using with the Audience 42?

Offline armymanhaha

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #368 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 04:41 AM »
If I may ask, what equipments (amp, source, cables..etc) are you using with the Audience 42?

This is for my PC setup so here it is:

Amp: Yaqin VK2100 (Sir ivan says this one's a prototype for the VK2200 which uses 12 series tubes. Mine does)
Source: Muse Mini DAC MK2 Outboard soundcard with upgraded opamps and caps
Cables: Generic shielded chinese IC and 16awg copper wires (Not a big believer in cables to be honest)

Planning to upgrade my amp to a Rotel 15 series although konting ipon pa. Maybe by March. I've been talking to sir muypogi about the right amp to use and I've narrowed it down to this one, or the Roksan K2 which is FS in the marketplace.

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 07:02 AM »

Amp: Yaqin VK2100 (Sir ivan says this one's a prototype for the VK2200 which uses 12 series tubes. Mine does)
Cables: Generic shielded chinese IC and 16awg copper wires (Not a big believer in cables to be honest)

Planning to upgrade my amp to a Rotel 15 series although konting ipon pa. Maybe by March. I've been talking to sir muypogi about the right amp to use and I've narrowed it down to this one, or the Roksan K2 which is FS in the marketplace.

Hmmmm looking at your entire setup now i can possibly recommend:

1) upgrade your DAC, to possibly the Musical Fidelity V-DAC mk 2 which also has USB in.

2) Try using lossless files or at the very least 320kbps compressed files. You may find upping your digital file quality is a more audible upgrade from just upgrading equipment.

3) I'd recommend a cheap upgrade on the cables: use 14awg and basic gold plated banana plugs and RCA interconnects using mic cable na custom assembled.

All tweaks are much cheaper vs changing amps or speakers. Pigain muna natin yung potential ng setup mo. Medyo madugo Rotel 15 series or the Kandy.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2012 at 07:22 AM by muypogi »

Offline Billabong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #370 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 09:40 AM »

Thanks for sharing. How do you find the sound now? Ano feeling mo ang kulang or anong aspect ang gusto mo ma-improve? I agree with muypogi na try mo muna i-max out ang ang potential niyan with tweaks or simple upgrades. ;)

Offline armymanhaha

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #371 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 01:38 PM »
I find the sound fulfilling actually. Its just that, I want more power. I want more 'liveliness'.

No issues with the files. I only play FLAC and APE files here so compression thingy is not that big of an issue, I believe.

Well, sure thing. I could probably do an upgrade for my cables. I know my system deserves one. Currently on the process of selling the DAC now. Bahala na kung ano ipapalit ko hehe. Wala pa kasing reply sakin yung distro ng V-DAC mk2. But there will still be an amplifier upgrade coming in June because I really want it ;D For future proofing na din sana Just in case I upgrade my speaks.

I really appreciate the help guys. Thanks.

Offline lynxrs11111

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Cool
  • Liked:
« Reply #372 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 04:29 PM »
so true.  I got my Dyns (Mobile) from Jeff at listening froup 1995..cost was 50% less than what they are sellng for now!!  The thing with them is that you need a very very powerful amp to make them sing..once they do..ANG SARAP!!!

ya i agree with using a powerful amp to drive them. sana i could build my system on a car soon with all dynaudios.. hehe..

xXx

but with the price of the DYN sub, you can get other brands which would perform better
Plus one here, would you believe that once in car audio scene all the account broking prices brand of speaker was just a runner up to a TARGA setup.
WhAt YoU KnOw MiGhT Be OlD!

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #373 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 04:39 PM »
I find the sound fulfilling actually. Its just that, I want more power. I want more 'liveliness'.

No issues with the files. I only play FLAC and APE files here so compression thingy is not that big of an issue, I believe.

Well, sure thing. I could probably do an upgrade for my cables. I know my system deserves one. Currently on the process of selling the DAC now. Bahala na kung ano ipapalit ko hehe. Wala pa kasing reply sakin yung distro ng V-DAC mk2. But there will still be an amplifier upgrade coming in June because I really want it ;D For future proofing na din sana Just in case I upgrade my speaks.

Billabong is the Dynaudio god. He should be able to guide you with getting the sound that you want out of your speakers.

He's dialed-in enough liveliness out of his Dynes to warrant some head scratching from the experts. :)

As for the replacement DAC, MF might not be the right direction if you want a lively sound. They have a smooth and mellow presentation, for the most part.

Plus one here, would you believe that once in car audio scene all the account broking prices brand of speaker was just a runner up to a TARGA setup.

Hindi po kaya sa isang class ng isang competition, at hindi sa buong scene?

Are you referring to Ferdie's Vios? If so, then yes it was a very good build for a Targa setup. Mostly sa cabin treatment at mounting ginamit ang budget doon.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2012 at 05:40 PM by Stagea »

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #374 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 05:48 PM »

Depende sa system synergy din and setup nung sounds. Mas mahirap gumawa ng car setup vs living room setup. You have to take the inherent vibrations and acoustics inside the car, lalo na pag SQ (sound quality) yung setup.  Pag SPL palakasan lang talaga yan. . . yung iba naka brace na yung windows kasi sobrang lakas yung bayo. . .

Graduate na ko sa boom boom sa car audio, which was a fun phase while it lasted . . . SQ lang (without sub) kasi may pamilya na. . . may video system nga lang to quiet down the kids. . .  ;D

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 05:52 PM »

Have you benchmarked your system to something or a setup that you want to sound close to?  Mahirap ma-pin down yung 'liveliness" if you don't have a reference sound. . .

I listen to varied genres, so I've tried to optimise my system to be as flexible as possible, within reasonable bounds. If you're ever in Marikina, you're welcome to listen to my setup, to help you establish the "sound" you may be looking for.

Offline lynxrs11111

• Collector
  • Cool
  • Liked:
« Reply #376 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM »
Billabong is the Dynaudio god. He should be able to guide you with getting the sound that you want out of your speakers.

He's dialed-in enough liveliness out of his Dynes to warrant some head scratching from the experts. :)

As for the replacement DAC, MF might not be the right direction if you want a lively sound. They have a smooth and mellow presentation, for the most part.

Hindi po kaya sa isang class ng isang competition, at hindi sa buong scene?

Are you referring to Ferdie's Vios? If so, then yes it was a very good build for a Targa setup. Mostly sa cabin treatment at mounting ginamit ang budget doon.
then it justify na its not the brand youre using its how you setup your system whether its mounting or cabin treatment it all goes down to proper setup and how you aim and position your components and how will you use your components

Offline lynxrs11111

• Collector
  • Cool
  • Liked:
« Reply #377 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 10:36 PM »
Depende sa system synergy din and setup nung sounds. Mas mahirap gumawa ng car setup vs living room setup. You have to take the inherent vibrations and acoustics inside the car, lalo na pag SQ (sound quality) yung setup.  Pag SPL palakasan lang talaga yan. . . yung iba naka brace na yung windows kasi sobrang lakas yung bayo. . .

Graduate na ko sa boom boom sa car audio, which was a fun phase while it lasted . . . SQ lang (without sub) kasi may pamilya na. . . may video system nga lang to quiet down the kids. . .  ;D
almost all car audio enthusiast wants to achieve the kind of sound a ht/music setup can produce because the components used in ht/music application is naka enclosed sa fixed box and in a separate box not like in car audio wherein the whole car is working like a box

Offline Billabong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #378 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 02:04 AM »

Upgrading to a better and more powerful amp would help. Changing your DAC will also have a big impact on the overall sound. In the mean time, try cable rolling. It's possible to get a livelier sound with the right cables. Mag-experiment ka rin pala sa toe-in ng speakers. Every little bit helps. It worked for me but YMMV. :)

Offline R

• Collector
  • I love boobies
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: Jan 24, 2012 at 12:08 AM »
Any suggested amplifiers to pair with the Audience 42? My plan for home audio is somewhat like armymanhaha's system where the PC is the source. Actually, I originally wanted a Yaqin MC10-L paired with Polk RTi A4s, but right now I'm pretty convinced of expanding my budget and purchasing Dyns instead (probably secondhand ;))

I'm into nearfield listening since I just listen 1m away.

Why Dynaudio? Since they're well-respected in the industry. Actually, I'm more of a Focal-kind of guy since I really love their sound signature but I'd shudder with regards to the price. After hearing my brother's McIntosh-Dynaudio Confidence C4, I'm pretty sold on them.

EDITED: Dynaudio Confidence C4 pala NOT Evidence.. ang mahal nun :O
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2012 at 11:10 PM by jhnkvn »
Probably dropped a studio condo-equivalent amount on audio gears #theaudiojourneycontinues

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #380 on: Jan 24, 2012 at 01:56 PM »
Any suggested amplifiers to pair with the Audience 42? My plan for home audio is somewhat like armymanhaha's system where the PC is the source. Actually, I originally wanted a Yaqin MC10-L paired with Polk RTi A4s, but right now I'm pretty convinced of expanding my budget and purchasing Dyns instead (probably secondhand ;))

I'm into nearfield listening since I just listen 1m away.

Why Dynaudio? Since they're well-respected in the industry. Actually, I'm more of a Focal-kind of guy since I really love their sound signature but I'd shudder with regards to the price. After hearing my brother's McIntosh-Dynaudio Evidence Temptation, I'm pretty sold on them.

Baka iba experience ng iba, pero imho Dyns are not that particularly suited to nearfield listening, as these speakers need to be cranked up a bit to show their fullest potential, unless you like to listen near and loud, or you can compensate with properly implemented tone controls.

Offline R

• Collector
  • I love boobies
  • Liked:
« Reply #381 on: Jan 24, 2012 at 02:39 PM »
I see. I think pasok naman ako sa listen near and loud ;D I'd say I listen around 86db levels.

Probably dropped a studio condo-equivalent amount on audio gears #theaudiojourneycontinues

Offline jjohnc

• Kasapi
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listening In Style
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: Jan 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM »
Mga dre,

Coming from audio set-up, and now a bedroom theater I might say that malabong matalo mga dyna's kung sa ht lang...the exite series lang with good processors, it can be compared to any brand at its entry level/price range... malayo mga sir...nothing comes close to the mid and highs of DYNA Audio, I have heard it all..all top gears... and i could attest to this statement. ;) ;) ;) ;)

john
PAS - Philippine Audio Society - VM PasiguenIYO

Offline R

• Collector
  • I love boobies
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: Jan 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM »
Listened to a pair of Dynaudio Excite X16 yesterday as well as the X12. However, may konting sira yun X12 hence playing anything with it would produce audible distortion.. but disregarding the distortion, yep... definitely sold na ako sa Dyns.

I've also auditioned the Focal floorstanders in Shang, it has that classic Focal sound. Very crisp but lacking somewhat in the lower midrange. I would also like to point out that the room is untreated except for a rug versus LiS theatre room.

Coming from the X16s, the bass of the X12 was a bit underwhelming. But since I plan to position this near a wall (8-10cm away lang siya), I think that should do the trick... fingers crossed it doesn't sound too boomy for my taste.

As for my choice of amplifiers, there's really two: NAD C356BEE or the CA 650A Azur. I'd probably go for the CA due to the NAD's 10k additional price difference thanks to the sale of 5th Avenue ;). Any comments between these two amplifiers?

Offline richardcruz

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #384 on: Jan 26, 2012 at 01:09 PM »
If you're getting Dynaudios, make sure your amp has >100 watts at 4 ohms to get them to really sing. Dynes need lots of power to drive, I've had them before, and driven by "just" a Rotel RA-04 were not enough (voices had some roughness on the edges, instruments had the clangy metallic sound and bass was not well defined), switching to a power amp (Musical Fidelity A3CR) made the difference, all these prior defects corrected and as if a veil was lifted

Offline jjohnc

• Kasapi
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listening In Style
  • Liked:
« Reply #385 on: Jan 26, 2012 at 02:09 PM »
Listened to a pair of Dynaudio Excite X16 yesterday as well as the X12. However, may konting sira yun X12 hence playing anything with it would produce audible distortion.. but disregarding the distortion, yep... definitely sold na ako sa Dyns.

I've also auditioned the Focal floorstanders in Shang, it has that classic Focal sound. Very crisp but lacking somewhat in the lower midrange. I would also like to point out that the room is untreated except for a rug versus LiS theatre room.

Coming from the X16s, the bass of the X12 was a bit underwhelming. But since I plan to position this near a wall (8-10cm away lang siya), I think that should do the trick... fingers crossed it doesn't sound too boomy for my taste.

As for my choice of amplifiers, there's really two: NAD C356BEE or the CA 650A Azur. I'd probably go for the CA due to the NAD's 10k additional price difference thanks to the sale of 5th Avenue ;). Any comments between these two amplifiers?

Dre during the launching ng Olive Server...x-12 lang ginamit ayos na... i suggest palabas mo sa theater room yun speakers and pa set-up mo sa harap ng table ni JR.. you will be surprise na kaya punuin ng x-12 yun buong area...lahat nga kami hindi makapaniwala hehehehe

Sa theater room ng L.I.S. mahirap palabasin ang bass dun kahit yun malalaking speakers ang nakakabit hirap, because of the acoustic treatment may konting mali...fyi
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2012 at 02:14 PM by john_johnc »
PAS - Philippine Audio Society - VM PasiguenIYO

Offline R

• Collector
  • I love boobies
  • Liked:
« Reply #386 on: Jan 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM »
Actually, no problem ako sa Excite X12. Dynamically speaking, yun "loud" ko wasn't even loud enough for JR! And it's on a volume that made me fumble for the remote during the intro drum beats of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" (previous track was Taylor Livingstone's "Isn't She Lovely" kaya nagulat ako sa difference in decibel levels).

As for their 5.7" midbass driver, I'd say that it really impressed me. I actually wanted a bigger driver for better low-end extension, but after hearing these play I've resolved that I wouldn't mind the less bass onwards. I don't really play bass tracks on the premise that my room's untreated.. and if I start playing Usher in the middle of the night on my "regular" volume, I expect my sisters next door to start banging on my door when the first bass notes hit :(

I'll be pairing these with Cambridge Audio's DacMagicPlus and 650A integrated amplifier. I figured they should pair well on the premise of better vocal articulation and I find it hard to justify the additional 50% jump in price for the NAD C356BEE. The 650A should have around 110W @ 4ohms so it satisfies the Dyn's hunger.

Now I'm thinking of speaker stands and wiring. Personally, if I tell my parents I just plonked down 10k for a pair of speaker stands, they'll kill me ;D so I wonder whether getting it is really worth it. And the wires... I guess it's time to ask for JR's opinion for them also. Any suggestions?

Note: The "upgrade bug" is very much real. Once again my budget doubled for 'simple' home hi-fi  ::)

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #387 on: Jan 27, 2012 at 07:32 AM »
nothing comes close to the mid and highs of DYNA Audio, I have heard it all..all top gears... and i could attest to this statement. ;) ;) ;) ;)

john

Aling mga top gears po yun sir? Ano po masasabi niyo dun sa mga ibang narinig niyo na yun?

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #388 on: Jan 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM »
Now I'm thinking of speaker stands and wiring. Personally, if I tell my parents I just plonked down 10k for a pair of speaker stands, they'll kill me ;D so I wonder whether getting it is really worth it. And the wires... I guess it's time to ask for JR's opinion for them also. Any suggestions?

Note: The "upgrade bug" is very much real. Once again my budget doubled for 'simple' home hi-fi  ::)

Stands: any metal stand that is sand filled and can provide a good base would suffice. No need to buy the original Dyne stand anymore. Lovan comes to mind as a good substitute.
Wires: Dynes work well with VDH though JR might push the Audience line for you to buy. VDH as to my knowledge is currently not locally sold by a distributor here in the Phil.

Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline muscleboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Pinoy Canadian :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #389 on: Jan 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM »
my 12 year old dynaudios (audience 60, 40, c120+series) have been through a number of receivers and amps. the last receiver i had them on was a NAD T752 which sounded ok until i upgraded a few months ago to separates (emotiva umc-1 prepro and the xpa-5 amp). now they sound a lot more livelier! :)
Yamaha | Paradigm | SVS | Pioneer Elite | PS3 | Apple Tv | Panasonic | EluneVision | Primacoustic