Author Topic: Acoustic Energy Speakers  (Read 96147 times)

Offline akyatbundok

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Acoustic Energy Speakers
« Reply #120 on: Feb 05, 2004 at 12:25 PM »
tumpak si cousin, when we auditioned the evo1 at Archi Audio, they had them positioned about 4ft from the wall and they were producing soft low bass... epoy pointed out that the AE specs claim it can go down 38hz... when i still had my Aegis1, i positioned them about 3-4ft from the wall, though in a smaller room i once had them 2ft from the wall.

Offline rapeez

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: Feb 05, 2004 at 01:31 PM »
lupet nitong evo3.. even my wife appreciated it when she heard the raindrops from my son's barnie vcd.   ;) sana payagan uli ako para sa center  ;D ;D

dude,

OT: pa good shot ka kay misis. para sa center...ako nga hanap pa rin diskarte kung pano ma-convince si esmi. hmm.. ano kaya?

julsP168,

thanks dude, puyat na naman kaka-break-in. really value for money.

Offline cousin skeeter

• DVD Addict
  • "Eureka!!!!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Feb 05, 2004 at 01:46 PM »
pre akyat,

hehe, if thats the case, am gona stick to my b2s for now. theyre placed a little more than a foot away from the wall. i dont have the luxury of placing them 2 feet, much less 4 feet away. small living room lang kasi. maybe someday if ive a dedicated audio room na, the evo's will definitely be on my upgrade list.  ;D ;D

Offline gren

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Feb 05, 2004 at 09:42 PM »
ok, just spent an hour or so listening to the evo3 at spectra, and right now, i'm thinking on whether or not i should go AE or MA.

on its own, the AE was superb, the evo3 had excellen bass, and sounded clear and accurate.  now the main difference i noted between the evos and the bronzes lie in their tweeters: the AE, for lack of a better term, seemed shy when it came to its tweeter ouput. comparing it to the b2 i'm listening to right now, the B2's tweeter is sharper.  i wouldn't go as far as to say that its bright, or harsh, more like it sounds more accurate, with a tendency towards sibilance (though never unpleasantly so, as the mids and especially the bass contributes towards the overall 'warmness' of the bronzes).

now that i thought of it, the evo sounded more laid back, compared to the more upfront presentation the B2 gives.

i can't really compare bass output, as i listened mainly to the evo3 and i haven't spent much time with its equivalent, the b4.  i'd have to say though, on its own, the evo3 makes for an excellent floorstander, more so with the AE sub. now this sub is made excellent low frequency output that perfectly supports the evo3.  too bad i didn't have a velo up for comparison.

i was not able to compare soundstaging, as the positioning in spectra is hardly ideal.  but listening to the b2s (as well as trying to remember my past experiences with it in the spectra showroom), the b2s seem to be more accurate in terms of positional cues.  from the start, what i noticed with the bronzes are their impeccable accuracy and excellent soundstaging.

i got to hear the klipsch rf-15, now that pair of floorstanders kicked major ass: the bass output was so "bilog" and it sort of eclipsed (no pun intended) the evo3, but pairing the evo3 with the AE sub produced comparable results (though more in the slam and fullness department, compared to the bilogness of the RF15).

the verdict, i'm still not sure.  i still find the EVOs a tad dry, laid back and shy in the tweeter department, but i'm thinking this will make for a less fatiguing experience especially when it comes to extended listening sessions.  the bronzes are very accurate, gives good soundstaging and has a front port.  i'm still wondering if i could use the perfect view 30kg wall mount to hold my rear surrounds up as i do not have space for stands (nor do i want to use stands for my rears, as they tend to get pushed around when not careful).  i'll be listening more tomorrow and might go all out AE if i end up liking them more. the AEs are very, very comparable to the bronzes and presents us with yet another set of choices at this price level.  maui or rica talaga :>

now, does anyone have anything else to add? i'd like to hear your input :>

oh yeah, i am hardly an audiophile by any stretch of imagination, i'm just trying to convey my impressions and descriptions my experience with these sets of speakers.  so if i make mistakes when it comes to terminology, please do correct me :>

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Feb 05, 2004 at 10:02 PM »
MA-B4.... You won't go wrong with this.... 8) 8) 8) This will give you the same highs as B2 and obviously deeper bass.... ;) ;) ;)

@cousin skeeter:

i'm thinking the same thing, since ill be using the bookshelfs as surrounds, the B2's might be more flexible.  but i'll give the evos a listen and see how it goes :>

wish the B4s were readily available so i can just get it and stop reading these posts, bad influence eh :>
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2004 at 10:04 PM by s2kov »

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Feb 05, 2004 at 11:49 PM »
MA-B4.... You won't go wrong with this.... 8) 8) 8) This will give you the same highs as B2 and obviously deeper bass.... ;) ;) ;)

well, i will most definitely not mix them up as i'm partial towards getting the whole shebang, uniform as possible, as opposed to getting a mongrel set :>  the subwoofer will probbly be the only exception, as i don't find the MA sub to be adequate.  the AE sub though, being sealed, sounds much more to my liking.

either way, i dont think there's a wrong or right choice here, just a matter of preference, especially we're comparing two equivalent sets of speakers (budgetwise and capability).  i'm just trying to decide which one's more to my liking.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2004 at 11:51 PM by gren »

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 10:29 AM »
Gren,

your right there on the MA sound that is upfront but was able to experiment on my speaker that resulted on  not been upfront parang side by side lang minsan kasi sa Amp pwede magchange.. personally i fine AE evo 3 and Evo 1 very nice especially the mid(vocals).. 8) high are not bright tapos bass is just right..

MA or AE.. o Rica or Francine??? hjehehe  

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 11:14 AM »
well, if i were not thinking about buying the AE, i would not be comparing the evo and the bronzes.  i did not think of the MA as upfront, but relatively speaking they are.  you could also say that the evo was more laid back than the MA is upfront.  that's probably the most notable characteristic people notice about the AE: the quality of its treble, which can be described as anything from laid back, to rolled off, to shy (in my case, jologs term, hehe).

i really liked how the evo3 sounded -- balanced, soft bass, but i still don't know how to assess mids: to me, its either high or low. mids represent more on the vocal aspects?

how will you classify rock heavy tracks? bassy from the bass guitars? trebley from the cymbals?

as for francine or rica, hell yeah on francine :>

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 01:10 PM »
its a compromise, certain types of music rely on detail and accuracy to convey the emotion, while others, esp. rock music, rely on rhythm & slam... to enjoy your rhytm & slam you may want to turn up the volume, which sometimes makes a forward speaker shout at you.

AE vs MA is a difficult choice... you're right gren speaker qualities are relative... if your ears are used to MA you would think AE is a bit dull & laid back... if your ears are used to AE you would think that MA is a bit bright & forward.

from what little i've heard, here's how i would compare some bookshelf speakers relatively... needs refinement though as i heard them 2 at a time only... note its just about quantity not necessarily quality:

treble (less to more)

8.1 - Evo1 - 902 - 912 - B2 - 303

bass (less to more)

303 - 8.1 - 902 - B2 - Evo1 - 912

sensitivity (less to more)

8.1 - 902 - Evo1 - 912 - 303 - B2
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2004 at 03:31 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 01:18 PM »
from what little i've heard, here's how i would compare some bookshelf speakers relatively... needs refinement though as i heard them 2 or 3 at a time only:

treble (less to more)

8.1 - Evo1 - 902 - 912 - B2 - 303

bass (less to more)

303 - 8.1 - 902 - B2 - Evo1 - 912

i concur with your observations, for most parts as i've yet to listen to the MS's.  the 303, from the start, was bright and forward, while the 8.1 can sound quite 'ngo-ngo' especially when new.

i have yet to do bass comparisons between the b2 and evo1, but i'm surprised that the evo1 gives more bass (given the mid/bass driver size, b2 is bigger by an inch ).  i love the bass on the b2 as it is, if the evo1 has more bass, then it's a good thing (for me that is).

spectra sucks for auditioning, but they already know me (since i've purchased my receiver there) so i'm not as shy there as i would be in archi audio.  i brought a bagful of cds for auditioning later, hopefully it won't be full of other people :>

BTW, can sensitivity be heard? or quantified by ear? more sensitive speakers = easier to drive = louder?  i know this has been posted elsewhere, but will a higher sensitivity speaker with 6 ohms (B2) sound louder than a slightly lower sensitivity? speaker with 8 ohms (evo1)?
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2004 at 01:20 PM by gren »

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 01:25 PM »
comparing the bass of the evo1 vs b2 is kinda tricky because the bass of the b2 is tighter while that of the evo1 is softer... the b2 probably has "more" bass in general but the evo1 goes lower so i probably should have labelled it "higher to lower" rather than "less to more"... i could be wrong though as i did not compare them side by side, just from memory... some people at ecoustics said that a side by side comparison yields more bass in favor of the b2...... btw, ur probly right i just based my comparison of sensitivity when switching speaker A/B on my amp, when the other speaker is louder at the same volume level.. but do take my observations with a grain of salt, theyre just my estimates of relative quantities but quality may be different/subjective.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2004 at 01:38 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline Audioboy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 01:29 PM »
MA or AE.. o Rica or Francine??? hjehehe  

lahat! ;D

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 01:51 PM »
lahat! ;D

y'know mr julsp168, i've half the mind to go that way :> evo3 + center front and b2 back. main reason being the evo1 being rear ported, and i dont know how it'd take to wall mounting (albeit twisted 90 degrees using the perfectview 30kg wall mounts).

i wonder if it'd timbre match tho.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 02:49 PM »
gren sir, mukhang malapit ka na bumili, im sure either one would be a great choice, its just a question of which is better for your tastes.

me i had AE bookshelf setup for 3.5yrs and it was hard to give it up ;D ;D ;D ...but honestly my setup then had a weakness in insufficient detail when watching movies, so i switched to a metal tweeter... in hindsight i probably could have saved money if i just upgraded to a more detailed receiver like HK, because my old denon did not match well with AE (laidback + laidback = dull)... i also wanted to have more slam since the Aegis1 had a soft low bass w/c was good in general but needed more hardness to it, so i switched to MS floorstanders... in hindsight all i probably needed then was the Aegis3.

anyway, the switch to MS gave me better results in movies because of the increased detail (MA has even more detail), and i dont know if the receiver upgrade to marantz was the one that did it (maybe its just matching?)... but as for musicality i'm not so sure if it was an upgrade (maybe a sidestep?)... MS/MA/BW sounds great for me but there is a smoothness that i heard in the AE that i cant seem to reproduce with other similar speakers (902, 303, B2), like... in the starbucks (quiapo cd) - the manic monday track has some very low bass, also the ana caram voice track is haunting... the corrs unplugged - the duet between caroline & sharon sounds like they're "there"... same with sade the ending of lovers rock cd.

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2004 at 04:07 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 03:58 PM »
gren sir, mukhang malapit ka na bumili, im sure either one would be a great choice, its just a question of which is better for your tastes.

well, i've been ready to buy for ages, just taking my time deciding.  if the b4 were here, i'd prolly get it and just think about getting a proper sub, but with the lack of b4s in the market, as well as the availability of the EVos, i'm faced with the decision of whether or not i'd go full AE or MA.

me i had AE bookshelf setup for 3.5yrs and it was hard to give it up ;D ;D ;D ...but honestly my setup then had a weakness in insufficient detail when watching movies, so i switched to a metal tweeter... in hindsight i probably could have saved money if i just upgraded to a more detailed receiver like HK, because my old denon did not match well with AE (laidback + laidback = dull)... i also wanted to have more slam since the Aegis1 had a soft low bass w/c was good in general but needed more hardness to it, so i switched to MS floorstanders... in hindsight all i probably needed then was the Aegis3.

anyway, the switch to MS gave me better results in movies because of the increased detail (MA has even more detail), and i dont know if the receiver upgrade to marantz was the one that did it (maybe its just matching?)... but as for musicality i'm not so sure if it was an upgrade (maybe a sidestep?)... MS sounds great for me but there is a smoothness that i heard in the AE that i cant seem to reproduce with other similar speakers (902, 303, B2), like... in the starbucks (quiapo cd) - the manic monday track has some very low bass, also the ana caram voice track is haunting... the corrs unplugged - the duet between caroline & sharon sounds like they're "there"... same with sade the ending of lovers rock cd.

ah, what a nice journey you've had so far, and i do think there's more to come :> this is my first real setup and this forum is invaluable in helping me decide, specifically input from helpful folks such as yourself :>

i never really got to try MS speakers much as i'm wary of 5th avenue (even not taking your recent experience into account).  closest i got was listening to kenwood sets (as i found MS speakers, at that time, to be quite expensive, my budget has bloated since then, at the expense of essential stuff such as food and whatnot, hehe), although i listened to a 908? in passing -- basag yung speakers, kawawa nga eh, mukhang inabuso ng salesperson sa SM west basement appliance centre.

anyway, i suppose a lot of my questions will be answered later (hopefully). i'll post my impressions here :>

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #135 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 09:41 PM »
IMHO, if budget permits.....

I paln to buy AE evo1 for my surround during HT then, I would use them as my fronts for music on certain tracks.... ryt now i only have B2 and B centre, no surrounds yet.... so that i could have the best of both worlds...

anyway, pareho naman panalo yan!!!!

like what the others have said, its a matter of taste!

for me, this way it will solve the nagging questions i'm thinking.... kaya kelangan makapag-ipon!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Blade

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Feb 07, 2004 at 10:27 AM »
I plan to buy AE evo1 for my surround during HT then, I would use them as my fronts for music on certain tracks.... D ;D ;D

i'll go the same route with this...
already did this with my prev bw303...
pero if i could sell my mission702e then i'll get evo3...sweet...hehe...

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Feb 07, 2004 at 12:24 PM »
IMHO, if budget permits.....

I paln to buy AE evo1 for my surround during HT then, I would use them as my fronts for music on certain tracks.... ryt now i only have B2 and B centre, no surrounds yet.... so that i could have the best of both worlds...

i'm thikning of going the other way: evo3 fronts and centre and b2 surrounds.  how are you placing your surrounds? stands? wall mount?  dont want to use stands because they might fall off (and i dont think, at 40 inches, the stand +13 pounds worth of speaker would be particularly stable).

i'm starting to like the evo1's bass: soft and deep vs fuller and punchier b2.

Offline j_albert22

• DVD Guru
  • SARS LUMAYO KA
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Feb 08, 2004 at 11:47 PM »
Anyone who try EVO3 to connect to integrated amp like HAFLER :o :o or any higher wattage?

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Feb 09, 2004 at 11:38 AM »
Anyone who try EVO3 to connect to integrated amp like HAFLER :o :o or any higher wattage?

j_albert22, maganda yan binabalak mo suportahan ta ka... parinig ha?

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Feb 09, 2004 at 11:45 AM »
kunin mo na lang kay Hans  ;) iba tunog ng HK sa Hafler...  :)
money is best spent

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Feb 09, 2004 at 12:19 PM »
J_albert,

sir buy ka na ng Evo3 para matest natin..

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #142 on: Feb 09, 2004 at 01:07 PM »

sige bro, kuha ka tapos try natin dun sa rotel rb1080 o kaya dalhin natin amp sa 5th floor megamall. may dealer doon and may parking para hindi buhat malayo. ;D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline sebman

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Guru
  • yes mi lord
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Feb 09, 2004 at 01:34 PM »
bili na pre.. para mapasama na yan sa susunod na listening session.. para yung evo 3 mo naman ang stress test ng hafler..  ;D  :D

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Feb 09, 2004 at 01:38 PM »
j_albert22, sali ka na sa Stress Test Survivor association... di ba sir kimpao?

nga pala, sure na ba yun deal natin w/ ur friend?  baka kung sakali matuloy si evo1 isip isip.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2004 at 06:12 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline positive_noise

• Collector
  • The Science of ~~AUDIO~~
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Feb 09, 2004 at 08:19 PM »
Mga Bros, ;)

From my experience, i could say AE is one of the so called warm sounding speaker. 8)

enjoy!
positive-noise. ;D

Offline j_albert22

• DVD Guru
  • SARS LUMAYO KA
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Feb 09, 2004 at 08:29 PM »
mahirap yan binabalak nyo ha  ;D natanong ko lang kc dahil gusto ko malaman how EVO 3 handle higher wattage not like B4 (my 1st choice pa rin ) subok na at sigurado pa so ayokong magsisi sa huli  ;D ;D

Sana kung meron lang maghohost nang listening seesion at may magadadala nang EVO 3 ( katulad ni kimpao na malakas ang loob ;D ;D)para malaman talaga capability nya  ::) ::) wish ko lang

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 12:10 AM »
j_albert22, sali ka na sa Stress Test Survivor association... di ba sir kimpao?

nga pala, sure na ba yun deal natin w/ ur friend?  baka kung sakali matuloy si evo1 isip isip.

Dapat ata magpagawa na tayo ng sticker ng "PASSED" under strict quality control measures by hafler, pagpumasa yung speakers ;D ;D ;D

nga naman j_albert, bili na ng EVO 3, may first aid kit naman akong dadalhin kung sakali matuloy, duguan yan pagkatapos (mighty bond) ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2004 at 12:17 AM by kimpao »

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 12:19 AM »
bili na pre.. para mapasama na yan sa susunod na listening session.. para yung evo 3 mo naman ang stress test ng hafler..  ;D  :D

OT lang mga sirs ;D

sebman balita ko iba daw yung tunog ng B4 mo sa B4 ko.  bro, stress test din natin with the hafler. mwehehehehehe ;D

Offline LtCool

• Collector
  • Ass U Were
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 01:54 AM »
mga bro kaninong B4 ba yung na ST (Stress Test)? kay sebman ba? sayang i missed the bus, hindi ko nasaksihan ang mga pangyayari.

btw i've heard the EVo 3 on yamaha 1300 sa Upscale Audio in Park Square, very musical ang dating. and the salesman is proud to point out on What-HIFI magazine that it was the top contender.

Cheers,
-LtCool-