Author Topic: Tower Speaker and Active Sub Question  (Read 599 times)

Offline softtouch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tower Speaker and Active Sub Question
« on: Sep 20, 2006 at 03:04 PM »
I have a 7.1 setup (H/K with Kenwood Speaker). Each of the 2 main speaker has 2 subwoofer of its own (each is around 20cm), and I have an active kenwood sub (30cm).
Would it be better to set the main speaker to "small" with a crossover of 80Hz and let the sub do the work alone?

« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2006 at 03:07 PM by softtouch »

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Tower Speaker and Active Sub Question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2006 at 03:33 PM »
its possible especially if your fronts cant handle 30 hz and below, otherwise I suggest leave the settings large.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2006 at 07:59 PM »
Given the information, I can just leave the receiver spkr settings to LARGE and let the main speakers do their best,  then tinker with sub's crossover to make it complement the main speaker's lowest frequencies.  If your main speakers have their lowest  -3db points, say at, 40hz, i'd start to set the subwoofer's crossover over setting at that point and adjust up or down whichever would yield the best smoothness(integration) between the mains and the sub.  I'd assume the sub has a lower -3db point that your mains.

Alternatively, I could set the receiver's crossover to 80hz.  There are advantages here.  The receiver need not supply the current to deliver frequencies below 80hz which can be substantial and instead provide the frequencies above it with more headroom.  And if the sub is sufficiently powered, it should take care of the frequencies below 80hz where it is supposed to be better at.   Then adjust the crossovers on the sub up or down to your taste. 

Offline softtouch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2006 at 01:47 PM »
Thanks for the input. I tried it and it sound just best for me if I switch the main to small and set the crossover at 80Hz. It just sounds "clearer". Thanks again for this suggestion.