Author Topic: dual mono or more power stereo?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
dual mono or more power stereo?
« on: Oct 28, 2006 at 08:09 AM »
mates, given the 2 choices below, which do you think would have a better improvement on my audio?
1) mono bridging 2 rb03s and make a dual mono config on my 2 front speakers
2) replacing my rb03 with rb1070 for higher power on my 2 front speakers

i have a rotel rb06 cdp, BnK pt3 preamp, studio 20 v3 bookshelf spkrs to go with these options.

im allan - 09178087173

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: dual mono or more power stereo?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2006 at 08:27 AM »
Accdg to the rotel site, bridging the rb06 yields 180watts into 8 ohms,  quite high since bridging often yields just twice the individual channel's 70 watt power.   But with all things equal, I think getting another RB06 for a bridge mode would yield a higher power rating and cheaper than getting a 1070. 
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 at 08:31 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2006 at 11:24 AM »
Accdg to the rotel site, bridging the rb06 yields 180watts into 8 ohms,  quite high since bridging often yields just twice the individual channel's 70 watt power.   But with all things equal, I think getting another RB06 for a bridge mode would yield a higher power rating and cheaper than getting a 1070. 
exactly my thoughts AV..however, i am the type who values quality more than quantity...do you think the sonic quality wouldnt suffer for a bridged stereo amp? i believe this woudl intruduce more noise into the signal..am i right? some folks would recommend me a 1070 than 2 bridged rb03's simply because of more finesse and cleaner sound...do you agree with this?
im allan - 09178087173

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2006 at 12:36 PM »
One advantage in going dual mono is that you have 1 power transformer for each loudspeaker , compared to a 1 larger transformer servicing 2 loudspeakers, channel separation "should" be better with dual mono....

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2006 at 01:03 PM »
One advantage in going dual mono is that you have 1 power transformer for each loudspeaker , compared to a 1 larger transformer servicing 2 loudspeakers, channel separation "should" be better with dual mono....
even if the amps involved were just bridged and not a real mono amp? wouldnt this introduce an audible noise as brought about by the bridging?
im allan - 09178087173

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2006 at 01:14 PM »
I dont think so, as no new component was added except for the switch that enables the bridging...

even if there was I dont think that we would hear the difference....

even if the amps involved were just bridged and not a real mono amp? wouldnt this introduce an audible noise as brought about by the bridging?
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 at 01:15 PM by qguy »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2006 at 03:00 PM »
to get that "twice as loud" thing, your amp rated at 100 watts should be compared to a 1000watt amp,
you gain minimal benefit by bridging, plus your amp is on the brink to failure..
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2006 at 03:24 PM »
70 watts to 180watts in bridge mode should yield about 4db increment in perceived loudness.  Not bad.  It would be operating at the 4-ohm limit but the amp is rated at that load and is really designed with bridging option, so it shouldn't be a problem.  You just have to be more careful with the connections with the speaker.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 at 03:25 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2006 at 04:15 PM »
to get that "twice as loud" thing, your amp rated at 100 watts should be compared to a 1000watt amp,
you gain minimal benefit by bridging, plus your amp is on the brink to failure..

my thoughts exactly. this is caused by the human ears being logarithmic in nature that it takes ten times the power to "double" the sound our ears hear.

and just to add on Tony and Avphile's post, only half of the load is going to be seen by each amp in a bridged configuration. even if each amp is rated at 4 ohms, the ever changing impedance of a speaker may breach each amp's limits.

when using bridged mode amps, safety is paramount than sonics so you must be sure that your speaker has the right impedance and the amps to be bridged must have the balls to take the load.

the sonics of a bridged amp is a whole new story but to cut it short, I'd rather get the bigger amp than bridge 2 small stereo amps unless you can get 2 true mono amps - but I won't worry too much about separation so the bigger amp should be a great choice.

cheers

Offline southpeak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 04:56 PM »
By your leave sir accastil..

The Hafler XL280 has the following figures on its spec sheet:
Power rating: 145 wpc into 8ohms , 20Hz – 20kHz
Continuous power output:
200 wpc into 4ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz
400 watts, mono mode into 8ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz

from above, if amp is in bridged mode, how much average power is it going to produce for a  4ohm speaker?

In bridged mode, will the amp have an easier time driving the 4ohm speaker than in stereo mode?

From members who have used this particular model, thus it have the “balls” as mentioned by sir jojo to handle 4ohm speakers in bridged mode?

my apologies, i have no background in basic electricity. only positive and negative...  :-\

TIA…  :)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 11:10 AM »
from above, if amp is in bridged mode, how much average power is it going to produce for a  4ohm speaker?

In bridged mode, will the amp have an easier time driving the 4ohm speaker than in stereo mode?

From members who have used this particular model, thus it have the “balls” as mentioned by sir jojo to handle 4ohm speakers in bridged mode?

1. for a 4ohm load, power could be lesser since the protection circuits will see the 4ohm load as an overload in bridge mode, and may act prematurely to avoid amplifier damage.

2. notice that no 4ohm bridge mode power rating was given, this is because BRYSTON does not want to take responsibility for amp failure if you try to operate the amp at 4ohms in bridged mode. i believe you can operate the amp in bridge mode using a 4ohm load but not at power levels you will normaly operate when using them in stereo mode.

3. notice too, that in bridged mode, the 200wpc into 8ohms becomes 400w into 8ohms. the reason for this is that the amp still uses the same power transformer regardless of wether you bridge it or not. therefore, you really do not gain anything in terms of power, except to convert your amp from a stereo amp to a mono amp.

i hope i made myself clear... ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 11:58 AM »

The Hafler XL280 has the following figures on its spec sheet:
Power rating: 145 wpc into 8ohms , 20Hz – 20kHz
Continuous power output:
200 wpc into 4ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz
400 watts, mono mode into 8ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz

While the hafler can drive 4-ohm loads in stereo mode, I don't recommend you use 4 ohm loads in bridged mode.  Because in bridged mode, each amp sees half of the load.  So an 8 ohm load bridged between the 2 amps is already seen as 4 ohms by each amp. Which is just fine.  But because the gear is not rated into 2ohms, I would imagine it will not be kind to the amp to bridge it with 4 ohm loads.  8 ohms should be the minimum in a bridged config for this amp. 
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2006 at 12:03 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline southpeak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 06:02 PM »
sirs tony, av_phile1..

message received loud and clear..

thank you  :)

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2007 at 12:32 PM »
so what then is better?
-mono bridging 2 rb03s for a dual mono config
-or just replacing the rb03 with an rb1070?

aim is to improve sonic quality. no considerations on cost and other factors.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 07:11 AM »
Bridging has never been resorted to to improve sound quality. but to increase power.

Offline ccc

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 02:48 PM »
so what then is better?

In that case, custom built mono monster tube amps could fit your bill.  JojoD, Mang Rod, HyperAudio, AMX and others cold provide you with solutions.  Or pre-loved gear i.e.; There were CJ hybrids monster monos in Hyper's store last time I was there.

Offline classicman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2007 at 09:21 AM »
so what then is better?

i would also go for option no. 2 coz am not a big fan of bridging power amps. just to attain the desired power requirement ;).......and, if cost is not a factor, i will go for RB-1080 (200w X 2ch.) para siguradong 'di bitin & pair it w/ an RC-1090 Pre-Amp., then use a balanced IC ;D

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2007 at 07:01 PM »
thanks for all you inputs guys...i am now settled....my paradigms now powered by 2 B&K mono power amps with 200w each. it rocks!
im allan - 09178087173