Author Topic: Helios x4000  (Read 4556 times)

Offline boomjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Helios x4000
« on: Oct 31, 2006 at 11:38 AM »
Just got this from the internet at neodigits.com.  Bought it last Oct. 22 and it arrived via FEdex yesterday.  The reason I bought this is bec. of the claimed upconversion to HD1080p via both HDMI and component.  I have a Panasonic GS42PW8 plasma EDTV and I feel it is not being given justice by my Philips dvd player which only has 480p.  I bought the Helios bec. it can upconvert via component and my TV only has component inputs.

Initial Impressions:
The Helios x4000 is relatively cheap at USD169 for an upconverting DVD player.  There are no controls on the face of the player so you really have to rely on the remote to access it's functions.  Set-up is relatively easy including the setting of the upconversion.  When I started viewing my regular DVDs, that is where my jaw suddenly dropped.  By Golly! What a clear and visually fantastic picture I am now seeing in my TV.  Guess what, the upconversion actually works!  I have never seen such clear and vibrant colors before.  Textures in dark scenes are clearly defined, not just black. I'm so glad I took a chance on this little known player which was just released by the manufacturer last Oct. 17, 2006.  This player is manufactured by the same company that came up with the NeuneoHD2085 upconverting player.

Would definitely recommend this player to anyone who is not yet prepared to dive into the HD-Blu-ray technology and want to stretch it out for a few more years while getting a preview of what HD is all about.

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: Helios x4000
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2006 at 12:19 PM »
Jim,

Puwede na rin pala video session sa inyo ... hehehe ...

Offline boomjam

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2006 at 02:06 PM »
Pwedeng-pwede!....

Offline kefq

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • DVD Guru
  • Ethical Hacker
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2006 at 05:39 PM »
Bro how much is the total cost including shipping? I am currently in the market for an upconverting DVD player. Does it have a VGA out?

Offline boomjam

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 08:53 AM »
The cost of the unit is USD169 and the shipping via FedEx is about P1,380.  Yes it does have vga out for use with a projector.  I think it also upconverts via the VGA/RGB outputs.

Offline watson's box

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 08:09 PM »
wala ba nito locally?

Offline boomjam

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 08:43 PM »
I don't think there is a local distributor for the Helios series since I already e-mailed the manufacturer to ask.  Also, it was just released last Oct 17 so I doubt if it will be available soon.  I remember that Audible Illusions used to sell the NeuNeo series which has the same manufacturer. Maybe you can inquire from them if they will carry the Helios brand.

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • SVS SB-1000 & Polk Audio RTi A3 Make sense to me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2006 at 12:03 AM »
Dre paano ka nag order nyan from US? I am trying to fill an application using western union as method of payment but there is no Philippines. Musta naman performance nyan ngayon? I am looking for a DVD player like that. I am using Philips 727k now and I think I am missing something using this player. Maybe this H4000 would elevate my viewing experience to the next level. thanks
This link might help you with your kids.

Offline boomjam

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 02:05 PM »
I ordered it from neodigits.com and paid via paypal.  There is now a paypal service which covers the Philippines.  THey ship direct from their warehouse in Hongkong.  The Helios x4000 will elevate your viewing pleasure by leaps and bounds from your Philips.  I was using the Philips 5500s and now it has been relegated to SACD and some low-quality DVDs.

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 06:39 PM »
I ordered it from neodigits.com and paid via paypal.  There is now a paypal service which covers the Philippines.  THey ship direct from their warehouse in Hongkong.  The Helios x4000 will elevate your viewing pleasure by leaps and bounds from your Philips.  I was using the Philips 5500s and now it has been relegated to SACD and some low-quality DVDs.

so how much was the total you paid inc. tax if any? :)
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline lance

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 12:36 AM »
The cost of the unit is USD169 and the shipping via FedEx is about P1,380.  Yes it does have vga out for use with a projector.  I think it also upconverts via the VGA/RGB outputs.

Dre, I inquired to Helios website using Western union money transfer as method of payment and according to them I still need to add $109 for UPS with tracking number. Hindi pa kasama yung bayad ko dito sa Western union. It means $278 lahat babayaran ko sa kanila. Parang ang mahal na yata. How much ba all in all lahat ng Cost nyan H4000 mo dre? Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline rmpmla

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 08:03 AM »
tried to fill up the order form kaya lang nung makita ko yung courier cost na $109 hindi ko muna tinuloy.
i have e-mailed neodigits baout this and this is the reply

Greetings! This is Brian from NeoDigits. To answer your question about the
shipping cost for a Helios H4000. It is $36.60 through FedEx.  Looking forward
to serving you on the post sales support.  Thank you for supporting our product.

Regards,

Brian Chua
Customer Service Manager
NeoDigits
www.neodigits.com

sayang.. naka-order na ko ng Toshiba HD-DVD

Offline lance

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 09:05 AM »
Nung nag fill-up ako ng order form eto reply nila sa akin.

Greetings from NeoDigits.com.

This is to confirm that you recently saved the following order in our
store :

Order Summary:

Order Number : PO0519-33147
Order Item Detail:

1 x HELIOS H4000 - HELIOS H4000 HD Upscaling DVD Player @ $169.00

Shipping: $109.00
Order Total : $278.00
Payment Type : Western Union Money Transfer
Comment:

Your order status will be updated within 24 hours if you have submitted
your payment already.

Bakit sa yo dre (rmpmla) $36.60 lang? ??? baka may option pa mas makakamura ako.

Offline boomjam

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 09:57 AM »
so how much was the total you paid inc. tax if any? :)

USD169 for the unit and P1,380 shipping plus taxes via FedEx. 

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 10:59 AM »

i was actually about to post a new thread for the H4000, but fortunately saw ur post kaagad pagpunta ko ng thread na ito. from the website, H4000 lang nakita ko... the other is X5000. sa kanila lang kasi ang nakita ko na affordable upconverting player through component input. thanks sa review mo. i also have the philips 5500s and from your experience it seems sulit ang pag-upgrade to this player. the only problem now is how to acquire this unit.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 11:43 AM »
i was actually about to post a new thread for the H4000, but fortunately saw ur post kaagad pagpunta ko ng thread na ito. from the website, H4000 lang nakita ko... the other is X5000. sa kanila lang kasi ang nakita ko na affordable upconverting player through component input. thanks sa review mo. i also have the philips 5500s and from your experience it seems sulit ang pag-upgrade to this player. the only problem now is how to acquire this unit.

maybe we could pool our purchases together, then ship in 1 large balikbayan box or even large fedex box(cheaper delivery)
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline lance

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2006 at 09:26 AM »
maybe we could pool our purchases together, then ship in 1 large balikbayan box or even large fedex box(cheaper delivery)

I think this is a good idea. Anyone interested?
1. Lance

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 02:11 PM »
I think this is a good idea. Anyone interested?
1. Lance
2. Allen - if we can get cost to below 10k each unit :) else.. im might go HTPC route for the budget

Offline lance

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 01:17 AM »
below 10k will be better.  :) I am still searching for some reviews with this player. This is new model that's why up to this time there are only few reviews i have found, but I am still interested with upscaling thru component of this player.  :)

Offline boomjam

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 11:13 AM »
Better get it while the dollar rate is going down.  I got it for about P9.8Th including shipping coz I got it during their promo/introductory phase where they ship for free.  With a number of orders for one shipment, they might consider lowering the shipping costs so that it may turn out below 10Th.

Offline lance

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2006 at 01:13 AM »
dre review naman dyan ulit. ilang weeks na rin sa yo yan so for sure medyo madami ka ng na observe dyan sa player mo, good or bad. Thanks. :)

Offline motion55

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 02:55 PM »
It looks like it's the same as the Skyworth HVD-9980 player

http://www.skyworth.com/products/list.asp?id=419

BTW, further googling the Skyworth HVD-9980:

http://www.joyo.com/detail/product.asp?prodid=rdit113007&ref=BR&uid=#

The price of 688RMB = 4,361PHP

« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006 at 03:07 PM by motion55 »

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2006 at 08:31 AM »
It looks like it's the same as the Skyworth HVD-9980 player

http://www.skyworth.com/products/list.asp?id=419

BTW, further googling the Skyworth HVD-9980:

http://www.joyo.com/detail/product.asp?prodid=rdit113007&ref=BR&uid=#

The price of 688RMB = 4,361PHP

Would Techpoint sell this in RP?

Offline motion55

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2006 at 10:41 AM »
Would Techpoint sell this in RP?

This uses a relatively new HVD technology that is not supported by the major studios. If there is enough interest maybe it will come to our shores. Even at Php4500-5000, these are pricier than the regular generic players.

Upsampling itself does not turn standard definition to high definition. It is even possible that the image processing engines of the LCDTVs (Bravia, DNIe, etc) could do a better job at that. Apparently, the Helios and the Skyworth are not DivX Ultra certified unlike the Pioneer DV-696-AV. However, I hope  these players can still handle high definition divx sources.

http://www.divx.com/products/hw/browse.php?c=16

Offline boomjam

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 09:32 AM »
dre review naman dyan ulit. ilang weeks na rin sa yo yan so for sure medyo madami ka ng na observe dyan sa player mo, good or bad. Thanks. :)

After a few weeks of using the product, I'm still awed by the stunning picture quality it delivers.  The sound is also quite crisp and detailed.  However, I noticed some problems reading p***d discs and even original ones.  In some DVDs it does not  play and displays a message "Disc exceeds limts for this player" and is asking for an override code.  It is not in the manual so I have to e-mail the manufacturer to check why this happened and to provide me with the code.

Offline boomjam

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2006 at 09:19 AM »
Was able to get a reply on the technical problem.  They gave me the code and I can now watch any disc. . .Tuloy ang ligaya.  heh heh heh!!!

Offline lance

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2006 at 12:20 PM »
That's nice to know bro. So far mukhang enjoy na enjoy ka dyan....Sana kung meron lang ditong distributor ng Helios. Ang laki kasi ng cost pag kasama na shipping kaya medyo napapaisip tuloy ako saka waiting pa ako sa maraming reviews. Lalo na kung mapili sa disc. Kasi yung player ko medyo mapili na eh.  Keep it going dre. yung mga observations mo.  :) Thanks

Offline mrm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 07:23 AM »
hi, just wanted to know if Plasma EDTV are capable of displaying 720p and 1080i? Coz I heard that
they are only limited to 480p, and they just scale down hi-def signals from 720p/1080i to 480p. What would
happen to your upscaling DVD when it upscales it to 720p/1080i, does EDTV scales it back to 480p?
My brother has an Plasma EDTV also that is why I ask, and he would like to know if upscaling DVD players
would be recommended to EDTV's (Plasma).Thanks

Offline jcy0001

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2006 at 09:06 PM »
HI just wondering if thats $169 + shipping $36 + tax P1380
or
its $169 + shipping and tax $36
or
$169 + P1380 shipping and tax

do you pay them for the shipping and tax? or do you pay for the tax here when it arrives?

Offline CocoBoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Be Happy..............
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2007 at 03:56 PM »
Updates???
ALA EH!!