Author Topic: Suggestion for AV Receiver and Speakers  (Read 189083 times)

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Suggestion for AV Receiver and Speakers
« Reply #1440 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 11:27 PM »
regarding hdmi 1.3, i've read some more and it seems that v1.1 is enough for hi def viewing.

imho Matz' idea is much more sensible. the 1075 costs around 58k. if you plan on spending 90k for a pre/pro(w/c essentially the 3806 would be) then i would suggest you go the separates route.

Offline [r]ichkri3g

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Blu Boy
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1441 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 11:37 PM »
^^ sir what if i add the Rotel 1075 power amp to the equation?

Receiver: Denon 3806
Front Speakers: B&W DM603 S3
Center Speaker: B&W LCR600 S3
Rear Speakers: B&W DM600 S3
Subwoofer: Velodyne CHT-12R

+ Rotel 1075 power amp

= ??? (this set-up would definitely breach the 200k barrier, right?)

if i decide to get a lower model Denon receiver, what should it be? the 2807? or any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2006 at 12:08 AM by richkrieg »

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1442 on: Nov 25, 2006 at 08:49 AM »
^^ sir what if i add the Rotel 1075 power amp to the equation?

Receiver: Denon 3806
Front Speakers: B&W DM603 S3
Center Speaker: B&W LCR600 S3
Rear Speakers: B&W DM600 S3
Subwoofer: Velodyne CHT-12R

+ Rotel 1075 power amp

= ??? (this set-up would definitely breach the 200k barrier, right?)

if i decide to get a lower model Denon receiver, what should it be? the 2807? or any other suggestions?

good choices on the gears you intend to acquire, you must have a great taste & a deep pocket ;D ;D ;D......i suggest though that you add P5k to your budget for the rear speakers & make them the DM601s3, they will be better for a multi-channel audio application such as DVD-A & SACD ;)

i subscribe to the opinion of ET414 quoted below that you should wait for the release of preamp/processors that are equiped w/ HDMI 1.3 version........if you have the budget for a P90k receiver & a P58k power amp. combo, i strongly suggest that you go for a Rotel dedicated pre-pro & NOT on a fancy Receiver (magdadagdag ka lang ng konti), i mean it would be a real waste of money (& gear) buying an expensive receiver (P90k) & then just make it as your pre-pro :)

in the meantime, you may go ahead & buy your desired speakers, sub & the Rotel RMB-1075 (w/c i think should be imperative in your 'equation'), & the lowest-model (lowest priced) Denon Receiver or its equivalent that has PRE-OUTS (i would even suggest you just buy a pre-owned unit).......you may sell this receiver later after you shall have bought a dedicated Rotel pre-pro w/ HDMI 1.3 or make a 2nd set-up w/ it ;)

muy dos sentimos 8)

good choice but imho maybe you should wait till next year to buy a receiver that expensive. receivers equiped w/ hdmi 1.3 is slated to come out early next year.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2006 at 09:08 AM by classicman »

Offline juvinyl

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1443 on: Nov 25, 2006 at 11:21 AM »
bai classicman, nice to know that you're also from cebu  ;D  ;D  ;D. and thanks for the 2 cents . Yyes, you got it right as to who suggested the options? By the way what's your set-up? and do you know of someone here in cebu who can help me set-up?

Hi Uroduc,

I'm also from Cebu.  Just text me at (0917) 3297492 if you think I can be of your help.  Its nice to help people who are serious entrants in this hobby ;D ;D ;D.  As I see in your entry gears, you seem to have a bright future in a/v (ano masabi mo classicman?  ;) ;D ;D ;D
CLEARAUDIO EMOTION TT/ ROTEL RCD-1072, RC-1070, RB-1070, B&W 705

Offline funk3ngruv3n

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1444 on: Dec 01, 2006 at 11:12 PM »
what kind of HT set up can i get with 50K?

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2006 at 11:16 PM by blazikenwrx19 »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1445 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 07:15 AM »
the 3805 cost $1200 when it came out as against 3806 $1300

True, newer iterations often have a lower price tag than their predescessor.  But that's because we're talking of the same technology getting refinements and value-engineering as the tech matures.  But with the new generation receivers with HDMI 1.3, I expect new more complex decoding chips that can handle the more massive data streams of lossless DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD/Master Audio as well as HDMI 1.3 switching.  So the prices would be shooting up.    Then again, nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong here.   ;D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1446 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 07:24 AM »

i subscribe to the opinion of ET414 quoted below that you should wait for the release of preamp/processors that are equiped w/ HDMI 1.3 version........if you have the budget for a P90k receiver & a P58k power amp. combo, i strongly suggest that you go for a Rotel dedicated pre-pro & NOT on a fancy Receiver (magdadagdag ka lang ng konti), i mean it would be a real waste of money (& gear) buying an expensive receiver (P90k) & then just make it as your pre-pro :)

I agree.  But I have to say a 50T - 90T receiver can already match the price tag of many good pre/pros out there.  Actually, at audioholics, a lot of members are saying good receivers are really pre/pros with amps thrown in as freebies.  Well, almost freebies, the heavy power transformers still cost.  ;D  Receivers enjoy a much wider market acceptance than separate pre/pros, and mass manufacture of these really bring down their cost compared with pre/pros which really have a very small esoteric niche market

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1447 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 07:30 AM »
what kind of HT set up can i get with 50K?

With 50T, you can have a very good HT set-up already.  A set of wharfedale diamond 9 speakers with a subwoofer won't cost more than 25T or so.  And the other half of your budget can buy a full-featured yamaha HT receiver.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1448 on: Dec 05, 2006 at 02:20 PM »
I have mentioned that the Pre/pro sounds better than a receiver being used as a processor. Its better by a bit, IMHO, but not by leaps and bounds. The difference is not huge, not night and day, considering the receiver used is a top mid level model. I do not know if the same case will be applicable if you use lower model receivers.

But in your case, If a Denon 3806 costs that much, indeed a pre pro would be better. Specially if you plan to only use 5 channels. another 2 channels would cost you another amplifier since 1075 only has 5 channels.

In my case, the power amps came in last. and my plan was to still have 7 channels (or 4 surrounds) working, with the amps powering the front 3 channels and the receiver powering the 4 surrounds. My, the difference from using a regular receiver alone was  :o .
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2006 at 02:41 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline [r]ichkri3g

• Collector
  • Blu Boy
  • Liked:
« Reply #1449 on: Dec 12, 2006 at 06:39 PM »
thanks for all your inputs, i really appreciate it.  :)

i got to audition the Denon 3806/B&W 602.5/B&W LCR60/Velo CHT-10R last week at The Home Theater. Mr. Sonny Tuazon recommended the B&W 602.5 FS because he thinks the B&W 603 might be ''overkill'' for my room. i really liked what i heard with the B&W/Denon combo, now it's time to dispose my current HT set-up. can't wait to upgrade HT gears!  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2006 at 06:40 PM by [r]ichkri3g »

Offline koozzy

• Apprentice
  • Luctor et Emergo
  • Liked:
« Reply #1450 on: Jan 12, 2007 at 12:05 PM »
Hi guys,

I currently have an rx-V650 which was given to me by my bro. Any suggestions on what kind of speakers that could match this? I'd seen the carnival series from MS. How do you find those? Thanks!  :)

Offline koozzy

• Apprentice
  • Luctor et Emergo
  • Liked:
« Reply #1451 on: Jan 12, 2007 at 06:52 PM »
Hi guys,

I currently have an rx-V650 which was given to me by my bro. Any suggestions on what kind of speakers that could match this? I'd seen the carnival series from MS. How do you find those? Thanks!  :)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1452 on: Jan 13, 2007 at 02:53 PM »
I currently have an rx-V650 which was given to me by my bro. Any suggestions on what kind of speakers that could match this?

That receiver goes very well with Wharfedale Diamond 9 series.  Highly recommended for high quality at scandalously low prices.

I'd seen the carnival series from MS. How do you find those? Thanks!  :)

For your AVR, MS might be a little harsh on the high frequencies.  Otherwise, MS is pretty good; pinaka-pogi pa sa aesthetics.  But before you decide on MS, please read this thread first:

Mordaunt Short Service Center SUCKS (5th avenue/Avesco)
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=42532.0

This issue should override all other considerations.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2007 at 03:00 PM by barrister »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1453 on: Jan 13, 2007 at 03:01 PM »
I heard my friend's Yamaha 530 plus MS setup. Medyo masakit sa tenga as I can remember.

Go for 9.1 BS's & the savings you get from that, pour it into a good sub. It will give you better benefits than pouring your budget to a FS.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2007 at 05:46 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Ferl

• Collector
  • Thats me!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1454 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 04:05 PM »
mga sir tanong ko lang at advice na rin. ano po ba ang ma suggest nyo na speaker for a yamaha rx-v557?im plannint to get the unit pero siguro mga 50k ang budget ko hindi kasali ang yamaha.except na rin sa subwoofer ang 50k ko. any suggestion po ba?

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #1455 on: Jan 30, 2007 at 12:34 PM »
hmmmm..... kung ako ay maraming pera at mag-a-upgrade ngayon...

eto ang mga choices ko....

Nad M15 Surround Sound Pre/Pro
Nad M25 7-Channel Power Amp.
Nad M55 Digital Disc Player

:) :) medyo me kamahalan lang talaga......pero ganda ganda tunog nyan nung marinig ko...naka-hook sa Dynes na BS..........hehehe

Offline ivo

• Collector
  • meat is murder
  • Liked:
« Reply #1456 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 07:09 PM »
i'm setting up a new HT system in a 12sqm room.

i'm looking at the following:

NAD T744 or T743
NAD T524 DVD/CD player

MS Avant 904i front
MS Avant 902i rear
MS Avant 905i Center
MS Avant 309i sub

also looking at Acoustimass 10 with the NADs or a Lifestyle 38. What can you guys suggest?

Offline Zitr0

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1457 on: Feb 17, 2007 at 04:21 AM »
i'm setting up a new HT system in a 12sqm room.

i'm looking at the following:

NAD T744 or T743
NAD T524 DVD/CD player

MS Avant 904i front
MS Avant 902i rear
MS Avant 905i Center
MS Avant 309i sub

also looking at Acoustimass 10 with the NADs or a Lifestyle 38. What can you guys suggest?

Hi ivo,

as for your room size i would suggest 902i BS even for the fronts, surrounds its up to you, but get a better sub let say 909 para may mas slam lalo na pag action movies and loud music ang hilig mo.

as for bose never have used it, and never planned also. may kulang na 2nog sa bose for me eh, vocals laking on lo end na di rin kaya habulin nung sub, naririnig ko ung sound pro d ko maramdaman, parang ganun  ???, n para sakin kase medyo matinis kasi ung tunog, though it still your ears that wil decide, pro as for me MS nako. :)
"NO SPEAKER IS MADE PERFECT, YOUR "EARS" MAKE A SPEAKER PERFECT!"

Offline ivo

• Collector
  • meat is murder
  • Liked:
« Reply #1458 on: Feb 18, 2007 at 03:53 AM »
ric999, thanks for the sound advice! i knew someone would say that about bose speakers same as what i've read in the reviews and other audio forums. the MS set i think would be a fine choice for me but i have to dig 'em up somewhere here in riyadh... probably the jamo E640PDD would be a good alternative? Thanks!
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2007 at 03:58 AM by ivo »

Offline Zitr0

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1459 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 03:33 AM »
Not sure about the JAMO bro, but i do believe they are also good, nakalimutan ko lang ung model nung narinig ko. Basta ung design nya, CURVED ung frony nung box nya. And this one, ung narinig ko, maganda talaga tumunog.

Just be sure to look for a really good matching AVR... :)

Keep us posted ok.
"NO SPEAKER IS MADE PERFECT, YOUR "EARS" MAKE A SPEAKER PERFECT!"

Offline ivo

• Collector
  • meat is murder
  • Liked:
« Reply #1460 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 06:26 PM »
ric999, got the NAD T743 A/V and NAD T524 DVD-player. As for the speakers I went for Polk audio RTi6 fronts, CSi3 center, FXi3 surrounds, and PSW303. Ok sana yung RTi8's kaso masyado malaki pag floorstanders :)

Offline Ferl

• Collector
  • Thats me!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1461 on: Mar 10, 2007 at 06:56 PM »
I already planned this set up but ask kolang po yung mga advice nyo to be sure para maguide naman ako.

Yamaha RX-V557
Wharfedale 9 series

Front   9.5 or 9.4
Center 9CM
Rear    9.2 or DFS
Sub     Velo 10

Hingi po sana ako ng feedback on this. Actually yung reciever maibibigay sa akin ng sale kaya hindi gaano masakit sa bulsa. I heard na mas maganda daw ang Mission in this way pwede nyo po bang i suggest ang maaring katapat para d2. Sir sa totoo lang hindi ko pa po na audition ang mga speakers na ito pero I guess it would be better if you can advise me ahead para hindi na makulitan ang bibilhan ko. Sino po ba ang pwede malapitans a mga stores incase na subukan kung mga ito. Yung patas lang po sana magbigay.

Thanks po.

Offline Bogsle

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #1462 on: Mar 11, 2007 at 10:48 AM »
I already planned this set up but ask kolang po yung mga advice nyo to be sure para maguide naman ako.

Yamaha RX-V557
Wharfedale 9 series

Front   9.5 or 9.4
Center 9CM
Rear    9.2 or DFS
Sub     Velo 10

Hingi po sana ako ng feedback on this. Actually yung reciever maibibigay sa akin ng sale kaya hindi gaano masakit sa bulsa. I heard na mas maganda daw ang Mission in this way pwede nyo po bang i suggest ang maaring katapat para d2. Sir sa totoo lang hindi ko pa po na audition ang mga speakers na ito pero I guess it would be better if you can advise me ahead para hindi na makulitan ang bibilhan ko. Sino po ba ang pwede malapitans a mga stores incase na subukan kung mga ito. Yung patas lang po sana magbigay.

Thanks po.

Bro,

Most audiophiles or HT enthusiasts will recommend that you audition and listen first and not be hasty in your decisions when purchasing gears. Yes, you may read thru reviews or solicit for comments and suggestions, but all of these may just provide you ideas and not experience.

However, this may not be easy for those living in a location with very limited shops to visit. I honestly don’t know what to recommend for that right now.

If you’re really into HT, from my part, here are my suggestions. But don’t completely take my word for it, rather do more research, solicit more comments, and be patient. It is very frustrating on having to spend hard earned money for an Audio/HT setup that will disappoint you with its performance afterwards. I have been through it before and hopefully I can help as much as I can in preventing others make the same mistake.

1.   Between Wharf 9.5 or 9.4, I would go for the 9.5. I heard both of these before and found the sound of 9.5 more dynamic. Also, I think the Wharf 9.5 will be the more efficient speakers, 9.4 = 6ohms, 86dB; 9.5 = 6ohms, 88dB. Plus, the 9.5 will have the much lower bass response at 30-24k @ -6dB, while the 9.4 only has 40-24k @ -6dB. If the price difference is small, go for the 9.5. Wharfs are very nice, warm sounding speakers. They are easy to listen to and very flexible, meaning they can be good for both audio and HT applications.

2.   Between the Wharf 9.2 and DFS, that depends on the room setup. One factor would be the seating position. Are you seated close to the rear wall or do you have some space in between the rear wall and where you’re seated? But then, I will not pretend to be an expert here. I would prefer the 9.2, for the reason that I can use it also as a bookshelf speaker as an option to tryout separate integrated amps  ;D.

3.   Regarding the Wharf 9CM, I saw the specs and I guess there will be no problem with it. I’m not so sure if this is the one I heard before in an audition I did. But is sounded good enough, though.

4.   About your subwoofer, Velos have very good reputation for HT subs. But then you have a big room. If you have the budget, go for a Velo 12. This is if you really prefer the Velo product. However, there are other very good subwoofer brands also, like Dali Ikon Sub, M&K, JBL PB10 or PB12 series, etc. On the other hand, with the Velo 10, I guess there will be not much problem there. Just make sure you position it carefully in your room for optimum performance, like in a corner or wherever you hear (for you) the best non-directional LF response. Meaning you should feel the LF and not be able to tell where it is coming from. Now, if you’re really into optimum performance of speaker setup including the sub, get an SPL meter and a test CD. But that’s just me  ;).

5.   Finally, regarding the Yamaha RX-V557, it may become "under-powered" in the long run. At 90 watts per channel (maybe less when all speakers are driven) for a 12sqm room, I’m not so sure. Yes, it’s a bargain, I understand. But aside from the low cost of it, generally I think we have to consider also if the savings are worth the performance that we get or expect from the product we purchase.

It is because for me, after experiencing all of these, I believe one's satisfaction can never be compromised. In this hobby, often we say we will acquire something within our current budget only and be settled with it. But often that does not become true, does it? After a while, one will think if this really is the best that can be acquired for the money. You're thoughts will run around the idea that, if only I had been patient and saved a few more or put in a little more cash I could have had this other product or the next higher model which had these more features, and so on and so forth. Then after only a few months you would already be contemplating on the next upgrade. Afterwards, when you look back in the end, you then realize that you have spent so much already in upgrading this and upgrading that in just a year or even a few months, that the total amount of money could have bought the best product already.

Whew, what was that?! Oh, ignore that. That was just me griping.  ???

Once again, if the price difference is not so much I suggest you go for a Yamaha RX-V659. I heard this unit before and it is quite good; laidback and warm sounding connected to Wharf speakers. Plus, the RX-V659 has YPAO, 192khz/24bit Burr-Brown DACs, pre-out terminals if decide to connect it to a separate power amp in the future, THX processing, Pure-Direct switch, accurate touch volume control, 64bit DSP LSI processing, digital video processing, a little bit more power, a much newer model, and so much more that the RX-V557 is not or does not have yet.

Here is a link about the RX-V659 for additional information: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/yamaha-rx-v659/overview-and-build-quality

The price, last time I inquired was around 24k to 28k at Listening Room, SM Megamall (or is it Listening in Style?). Sorry, I often get confused between the two shops at Megamall and EDSA Shangrila.

6.   If you are open for it, you try also other HT receiver brands like, Onkyo, Denon, HarmanKardon, Pioneer, etc. Just give them a listen if possible for you.

That’s it. Sorry I have to stop here. I need to go for breakfast, getting hungry already. Other kind hearted colleagues here maybe able to provide you more detailed information and other good suggestions (and without the griping, I suppose).

As for me, just wanna help in my small little way.

Cheers
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2007 at 11:10 AM by Bogsle »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #1463 on: Mar 11, 2007 at 10:55 AM »
very well said bogsle ;)

Offline Ferl

• Collector
  • Thats me!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1464 on: Mar 12, 2007 at 02:11 AM »
Sir Bogsle, matsamalz sa tapat at pulidong pag explain. talagang malaking tulong ito kc bago lang ako sa hobby na ito at excited ako sa naging choice ko ngayon. actually i reregalo ko ito sa father ko ang package kc ang yamaha rx-v557 ay may kasama ng nsp-110 speakers.naisip kung palitan siya kc baka mabitin kaya nagpadala ako dito ng guide.

sa nakita ko under power siya so bka yung nabanggit mo na isang model ay pag iipunan ko at yun nlang ang magiging set up ko sa personal ko. yung rx-v557 ay ibibigay ko nlang kay erpat as regalo. mayroon pa po bang pwede nyong ma advice para sa rxv-557 na babagay na wharfedale set up? again, maraming maraming salamat sir bogsle. buti nlang hindi ko agad nabili ang speakers kung hindi mapupuno na naman ako ng pagsisisi.ahehe

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1465 on: Mar 12, 2007 at 02:48 PM »
I agree, get the best AVR your money can buy.

I do not mean to diss entry levels here (I use one for my 2ndary bedroom setup). But I have read an article on how manufacturers design their lower level AVR's. They are up to their teeth in bringing the cost down by getting more economical parts, just to get the AVR to reach its very low price. Logically, sacrifices are made in performance. So for me (just me), go for the mid levels at least to get the most out of your HT experience. More power, better quality parts & sonics and gives more midrange slam that I find absent in entry levels *.

And IMhO, when you want FS, you gotta power em well to make them perform their best, so mid levels at least are my minimum recommendation. But thats just me, but this is also based from my experience w/ both FS & BS.

If too expensive, try looking for NOS (new old stock) since most of the time, you wont usually need the new features that bad anyway. AFAIK, there are lots of NOS mid level Yamaha available (1000 series & up) priced around the 659's vicinity. Try asking the Yamaha dealers. 

*upgrade fever is less when you go for the higher models instead of the lower ones.  ;) Not much models left to upgrade to... ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2007 at 03:16 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Ferl

• Collector
  • Thats me!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1466 on: Mar 14, 2007 at 08:25 AM »
sir matz, ano bang ma i recommend mo na speaer sa rx-v557? i am thinking also on a mission? or do you have something in mind. i noticed kc na marami d2 ang expert na sa pandinig kaya a is invited naman na mag donate ng inyong experiences na maaring maging paso sa reciever ko. mahirap talaga pag bagohan ka pa lang litong lito ka lalo na sa set up.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1467 on: Mar 14, 2007 at 01:18 PM »
If it were me, I would recommend satellite speakers or small bookshelf speakers for the entry levels. Just make sure you have a good sub, yan yung magdadala ng HT.

Why only satellites or BS?

Look at HT mags, they have a column w/ HT recommendations, what do they recommend for the entry/budget levels? Satellite systems or BS systems.

Look at the Yamaha Catalogs, what do they match w/ the entry levels?  Satellite systems or BS systems.

I believe these guys (yamaha engineers & HT columnists) know better than us as to w/c suit entry level receivers best.

IMO, the difference between entry level AVR's  &  mid+ AVR's is the midrange punch to the speakers brought about by more power, better parts (specially the amp section), better processing. This midrange punch is more evident w/ floorstanders, having larger air space to move. But without the performance level of mid level AVR's, they do not sound that good in my experience. And its not about how loud it goes (for those wanting to argue sensitivity spec), its the quality of sound.

So for entry level AVR's, IMO, sat or BS + good sub (dito mo na lang buhos yung natipidmo sa receiver) is enough. You are going to set the speakers to small din naman sa setup anyway.

Once I thought floorstanders were the only way to go in this hobby. I had several FS setups already (see HT gallery), now I have reverted to bookshelf (plus a very good sub) for HT. No regrets naman. I practice what I preach, hehe.
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2007 at 01:40 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Mrk

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1468 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 08:08 AM »
matzter do you have a specific brand and how much ang best sounding but budget satellites or bookshelf speakers

because i read you said yamaha speakers are very harsh sounding

tnx
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2007 at 08:09 AM by Mrk »
UA-55D6600
BD-P1500
RXV-459
Wharfedale 9.1, 9.3
WH-2 center/surround
DQ-12

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1469 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 11:29 AM »
matzter do you have a specific brand and how much ang best sounding but budget satellites or bookshelf speakers

because i read you said yamaha speakers are very harsh sounding

tnx

Receiver companies like Yamaha, Denon or Onkyo manufacture speakers so that they could sell a whole set  along w/ their receivers (for buyer convenience). But speakers are not their specialty and its understandable if their speakers cant match hifi or HT specialty manufacturers w/ years of R&D behind them.

These are the ones I have auditioned or used:

Satellites:
JBL SCS 200 or 260 (awesome sub, I have the scs200 for my 2ndary setup)
Infinity Beta HCS
Mission M30 cinema
Q Acoustics 1010 system
Definitive Technology PRO Cinema
Atlantic Technology (not budget anymore, but excellent in HT)
Castle Satellite (not budget anymore, but excellent in music)

BS: (subs are separate)

Wharfe 9.1's (best value)
Q Acoustics 1020
Epos (their entry level)
Monitor B2 (I set one up for my sister)
JBL or Infinity (more on HT)

But dont take my word for it, AUDITION IT.  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2007 at 12:11 PM by MAtZTER »