Author Topic: Suggestion for AV Receiver and Speakers  (Read 188755 times)

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Suggestion for AV Receiver and Speakers
« Reply #1500 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 04:42 PM »
Your room is around 30+ sqm already :o. You will really benefit from using separates w/ floorstanders. HTiB's & sats are out of the question.

Ideally, you will need a powerful receiver ($800-$1200 class) or power amps (plus 2-3 subs) for a room of that size. But thats ...ideally.

Another cheaper alternative, since your house is under construction, is to DIVIDE that big room in 2 smaller rooms divided by a... uhh.. divider ;D.

The smaller your room is, the easier it is to power, ergo less expenses on the amplification and the size of the speakers. A smaller 16sqm room will fit just nicely on a 70k budget w/ a 10 in sub, BS speakers & a 28k receiver.

You might protest dividing the room, but there are many ways around this. One is to use big sliding double doors to divide the 2 spaces. The doors are closed when you are watching movies, and open when the HT is not in use. This way the 2 rooms do not look like they are officially separated.  ;)

Got that idea from Home Theater Interiors by Russ Herschelman. buy some HT mags!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007 at 04:48 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Bodacious Cowboy

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1501 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 10:08 PM »
Matzter, thank you very much for the very useful advice.  I really appreciate it. 

Cable conduits are already in place.  I have slid across the spectrum and am leaning more towards having separates and a more powerful receiver.  Hopefully I can get a good new set up with my budget.  I've managed to convince the wifey on condition that I sell our old 5.1 system. 

Offline esant888

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1502 on: Oct 28, 2007 at 05:31 PM »
Hi newbie here.  I would like to upgrade my receiver (HK 235), I have the ikon 6 for the fronts and the ikon vokal 2 for the center.  Would like to ask your opinions/suggestions on what receiver would be best with my current speakers.  I'm more into HT now and my budget would be around 50 - 60k.  I know in the end, it would depend on my listening taste but I would appreciate your inputs as I've seen from the past threads that your valuable inputs have helped lots of people in choosing the right system.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1503 on: Oct 28, 2007 at 05:46 PM »
Hi newbie here.  I would like to upgrade my receiver (HK 235), I have the ikon 6 for the fronts and the ikon vokal 2 for the center.  Would like to ask your opinions/suggestions on what receiver would be best with my current speakers.  I'm more into HT now and my budget would be around 50 - 60k.  I know in the end, it would depend on my listening taste but I would appreciate your inputs as I've seen from the past threads that your valuable inputs have helped lots of people in choosing the right system.

With that amount you can get a very decent model with 7.1 or 9.1 preouts and THX ultra2 certified and more features as future proof... I won't mention any brand or model as I leave this to your own personal taste in sound and aesthetics ...  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2007 at 05:18 PM by audiojunkie »
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1504 on: Oct 30, 2007 at 10:33 AM »

For speakers as good as the Ikon6, it is crucial that you match it w/ the same class receivers, so you can hear its full potential.

I would recommend:

HK 600 series
Onkyo 805
Denon 2807 or higher
Yamaha 1800 or higher

or

HK 3 series, Onkyo 7 series

plus

POWER AMPS!
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2007 at 10:18 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline esant888

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1505 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 09:18 AM »
Thanks guys, audiojunkie & MAtZTER for your inputs  :)

Offline squatt3r

• DVD Addict
  • Advanced Micro Devices fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1506 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 02:43 AM »
mga sirs, for a budget of 30-35k what AVR/speaker combo would you recommend? entry level lang po.

Offline tifosi_ph

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
A/V Receiver - Speaker Combination
« Reply #1507 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 04:23 PM »
Mga Sirs... I'm planning to set-up my HT soon. I just want your opinion for the best speakers that I should use for the following receivers: Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon and Marantz.
Salamat.  :)

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: A/V Receiver - Speaker Combination
« Reply #1508 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 06:28 PM »
Mga Sirs... I'm planning to set-up my HT soon. I just want your opinion for the best speakers that I should use for the following receivers: Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon and Marantz.

Sir, marami kang dapat e-consider: budget, brand reference, Floorsatnadr or bookshelves, but first is audition those available sa mga dealers... ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline tifosi_ph

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1509 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 07:34 PM »
Sir, marami kang dapat e-consider: budget, brand reference, Floorsatnadr or bookshelves, but first is audition those available sa mga dealers... ;D

Salamat,pero kasi sa mga nababasa ko, for any budget, laging may receiver-speaker combination to be considered.

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1510 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 10:36 PM »
Salamat,pero kasi sa mga nababasa ko, for any budget, laging may receiver-speaker combination to be considered.

depende kun anong kombination ang gusto mo that fits to your budget. Reading white papers of every model you consider and actual audition will help you more to decide.
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline tifosi_ph

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1511 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 09:01 PM »
Around 35 to 40K ang budget (including the A/V receiver). More on movie viewing purposes ang gamit.

Offline dmaximus

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • "People should know when they are conquered."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1512 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 10:35 PM »
sir update po kayo kung makabili na kayo.  ;D

Offline Ferl

• Collector
  • Thats me!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1513 on: Dec 13, 2007 at 03:44 AM »
mga sir, pwede po ba makahingi ng inputs regarding which brands of speakers and recievers yung warm and bright? i understand warm and bright combination makes a good blend so if you could share us. mraming salamat po in advance.

Offline theblue

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1514 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:45 PM »
Audition lang sir... bring a CD ur familiar with. Sa shangrila, Megamall, and Trinoma. Then you can ask here sa Pdvd kung ok ba ung setup for the price, and their opinions.

Of course, your own reference is what matters... goodluck!
Denon 1912 + Yamaha NS-777, Dynaudio Audience 40, HTPC i7 7700k, 24GB, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti, LG 4K

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1515 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 01:00 PM »
Around 35 to 40K ang budget (including the A/V receiver). More on movie viewing purposes ang gamit.

If its more on Movie viewing, a Yamaha receiver will do and a set of Wharfedale Speakers, many of the members has this combination :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #1516 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 04:45 PM »
yamaha - yamaha
marantz - mordaunt short or gale
denon - could be great with B&W or paradigm
onkyo - B&W
harman kardon - jbl or infinity

just my recommendations.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1517 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 04:33 PM »
Dont forget the classifications of receivers to speaker combinations. Dont expect higher model speakers to sing with entry level receivers. All speakers were meant for the same class receivers or higher.

If possible, get a higher class receiver to speaker ratio & not the common "spend on a good speaker & SKIMP on the receiver".

And for HT, unless you are going to use power amps or flagship receivers,  bookshelf speakers are enough since you will be setting them to SMALL in your receiver anyway. What you save from buying a floorstander , pour it on a good sub & your receiver.

I am confidently betting a cellphone that you will get better results this way than getting floorstanders & skimping on the receiver & subs at this budget level.  ;D

My recommendation:
Entry level receiver: entry level BS
Mid level receiver (35+k): entry level FS or BS, mid level BS
Power amps or High end receivers: Mid level floorstanders

« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2008 at 04:37 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1518 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 02:49 PM »
theres actually no answer to this question unless he decides on a specific model of avr and brand already.

avr+speaker combinations also change when you jump from entry level-mid level-high end avr's.

Offline devin

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1519 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 11:41 AM »
What A/V can drive a Jamo S 606 speakers? Can a yamaha Rx v461 do the job?
Please Advice. Thanks.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1520 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 12:24 PM »

My recommendation:
Entry level receiver: entry level BS
Mid level receiver (35+k): entry level FS or BS, mid level BS
Power amps or High end receivers: Mid level floorstanders

The higher model receiver you get, the better. That Jamo is a higher model FS with big side woofers.

In male lingo: picking a receiver is like chosing an engine for your custom built car. You can use a Kia Picanto engine on a Ford Expedition body, the car will still run somehow, but not to its optimal performance.

If you just want to hear just any sort of sound from it, go ahead with the 461. But if you want some serious HT slam (or gaming) or gripping, pissonurpants inducing action/horror movies. go for the high mid models or power amps (turbocharger!), they wont dissapoint.

avr+speaker combinations also change when you jump from entry level-mid level-high end avr's.

I agree, I have used 5 entry level  and 3 mid level AVR's from different brands in the past years , then power amps, and the leap from entry to mid levels makes the difference. All the more w/ power amps.

I find the mid levels to be uncompromised & good in both music & HT. There may have been some comments in this site on Yamaha being better at this... Onkyo better at this... but that distinction is not applicable when it comes to the higher mid models. They all excell in both areas but the presentation is different for each. It just depends on w/c presentation you prefer.

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2008 at 12:43 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline engrjepoy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1521 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 06:56 AM »
Mga sirs,

bago lang po ako dito, I got a Jamo av693 receiver paired it with Jamo E 350 floorstand speaker and E3 sur & cen. I also use Jamo sub 250.

ano po masasabi niyo sa receiver? do I need to replace it? or do I need to replace my whole set up? :)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1522 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 11:45 AM »
Also, dont forget AV receiver - Room combination!

The bigger your room, the bigger you need to spend for your receiver!

In an HT mag article I read about budget/ entry level to flagship AVR's comparisons, lower model/ lower powered receivers sacrifice their surround power to make sure the fronts get enough juice. This was shown with distortion tests & charts for all class AVR's to the flagships.

Thats why higher level receivers or power-amped setups sound "bigger" (& are meant for bigger rooms) because there is enough juices flowing for the surrounds.

Offline devin

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1523 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 12:02 PM »
Thanks MAtZTER !
Now I understand.

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #1524 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 12:15 PM »
Also, dont forget AV receiver - Room combination!

The bigger your room, the bigger you need to spend for your receiver!

In an HT mag article I read about budget/ entry level to flagship AVR's comparisons, lower model/ lower powered receivers sacrifice their surround power to make sure the fronts get enough juice. This was shown with distortion tests & charts for all class AVR's to the flagships.

Thats why higher level receivers or power-amped setups sound "bigger" (& are meant for bigger rooms) because there is enough juices flowing for the surrounds.
u could still make use of a low power rxvr provided they have pre-outs and youll be employing a mulitchannel power amplifier...this is actually better than employing a high-powered rxver.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1525 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 01:17 PM »
MatZTER, could you advise me on this setup. A midlevel DVD player connect the 5.1 RCA output to power amps (midlevel). All of amplifier including the sub mga 100 to 200 amps just for the living room (a small one mga 30 to 40 sqm). Merong bang mono for the center?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1526 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 02:16 PM »
MatZTER, could you advise me on this setup. A midlevel DVD player connect the 5.1 RCA output to power amps (midlevel). All of amplifier including the sub mga 100 to 200 amps just for the living room (a small one mga 30 to 40 sqm). Merong bang mono for the center?

30-40sq is not small anymore & power amps are indeed well recommended for rooms of that size.

Power amps have no volume control, so you might mean a receiver? Can you specify the brands?

100w power amps are ok but 200w would do better for such a room size. Take note that the 100w of power amps will dwarf the performance of 100w receivers. So a 100w power amp (not receiver) is the minimum recommended for a room like this.

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2008 at 02:21 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #1527 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 05:37 PM »
40 sqm is quite a big room for ht. 100w power amp would be a minimum reqt for your 3 channels in front the surround channels maybe a little lower than this if u wont mind it that much. a midlevel receiver alone definitely wont satisfy. the best option would be an entry level rxvr with pre outs, a power amp for all the channels, and at least 300w rms output subwoofer rating.

magastos sir kc mjo malaki ang 40sqm.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1528 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 09:58 PM »
Just look for some high sensitivity speakers like a Klipsch horn speakers. Your 100 watt receiver, assuming it spews out real 100 watts per channel under FTC standards, should be able to make your 40sqm room come alive.  And you will need at least two good subwoofers to tame room modes better in a large room. 

Offline otepsy

• Collector
  • quality over quantity...
  • Liked:
HELP! ok ba i match Harman Kardon sa Wharfdale Diamond 9
« Reply #1529 on: Jan 18, 2008 at 09:53 AM »
Need help, i want to know if ok lang ba imatch ang HK sa Wharf Diamond 9 Series or may marerecomend kayo na mas magand i match sa Harman Kardon

Many Thanks to all of you...