Author Topic: Suggestion for AV Receiver and Speakers  (Read 189107 times)

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A/V Receiver - Speaker Combination
« Reply #1560 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 04:45 PM »
At the end of the day, learn from this site and buy the best
that you CAN AFFORD.

dont buy due to pressure of having a set-up equal to those that can afford it. eto ang simula ng away with your partner and utang.

Agree! Like I said in another thread "whats the best setup":

the best setup is the one you have in your house now. Because thats what you can afford. If you break your bank to buy gears you cant afford, its not the "best" for you anymore. Rather its the best for the credit card or the AV shop.  :)

But I think its not uncommon to see people break their banks just to get a flat panel TV, right? :)

I have a 37" full HD LCD TV (1920 x 1080P)

Sir, Do i have to buy a upscaler?

I have a 32" LCd in my bedroom & its hard to notice the diff w/ upscaling DVDp's until I sit near the TV. I even used it w/ a non progressive scan player before & I had no complaints with it. I am not saying there is no diff, just not enough to merit an upgrade.

Let me rephrase my question...is there a big difference between an HTiB and an entry level AVR/Speaker combo?

The big difference will come from the powered sub & receiver power of a separates setup. Thats why I always recommend get a good sub & receiver instead of pouring the budget on a FS, as these will produce more audible improvements than skimping on the sub & receiver just to get a FS. The speakers will be set to small anyway.

just my thoughts
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2008 at 04:53 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1561 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 04:52 PM »
^ talaga matt? thats odd. kasi sakin halatang halata ang difference ng upscaler sa 32in na lcd... and to think di ako naniniwala dati.

ill even swear that my dv600's upscaler is way better than the full upscale of the ps3 on dvd.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1562 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 04:59 PM »
^ talaga matt? thats odd. kasi sakin halatang halata ang difference ng upscaler sa 32in na lcd... and to think di ako naniniwala dati.

Great sir! If the difference is big for you, then I am happy for you. I dont recall saying there is no difference.  :)

I watch from 4.2 meters away so it doesnt seem to matter even if I use a non progressive player (pioneer also). But I did mention that there is a difference when I watch closely right?  :)

Maybe I just wasnt able to type all the details.
<--- lazy to type  ;D

Distance to screen matters and also screen size, The closer you are when watching OR the bigger the screen, the more significant the effect. So observations were also based on the diff between 90" & 32"

ill even swear that my dv600's upscaler is way better than the full upscale of the ps3 on dvd.

Come to my house, I will show you what pio 600 looks like on a PJ  :)

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2008 at 10:07 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #1563 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 10:41 PM »
Sir, I have read a lot about the HDMI vs component thing. I would like to know the actual fact ba. I have this standard dvd player (component connected) the LCD TV indicates a resolution of 576i at my LCD TV. With an orginal dvd disk as source it looks generally good at this resolution (Probably the TV is new). I would like to know if the TV could perform better with an upscaler dvd player set at 1080P or could i see a difference. I have a 37" full HD LCD TV (1920 x 1080P)

Sir, Do i have to buy a upscaler?

Sir Cannot afford to buy a Blu ray or HD player yet.

Sir easier and cheapest way to do is to change resolution from interlaced "i" to progressive "p" na muna if you have a progressive capable dvd player :) 

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: HELP! ok ba i match Harman Kardon sa Wharfdale Diamond 9
« Reply #1564 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 11:08 PM »
Same question here...what is the best HK model for a full set of Wharfs Diamond 8 Series? :P

Offline r_Y_@_n

• DVD Addict
  • andre marcus
  • Liked:
« Reply #1565 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 05:01 AM »
it would really depend on your budget sir... our gurus here would always suggest, get the most out of your budget.  ;)  so either get the at least the 3xx series up or a model with pre-outs, 2xx series i think has pre-outs for future upgrades like power amps.  ;)

just my 2 cents...  ;D

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1566 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 09:26 AM »
Mga sir, salamat sa mga reply ninyo, I"ll just opt for a upscaler (Philips or pioneer) na may 1080P setting might also see difference just like ctlim on his 32".

Sir ricky. tried your suggestion on fast action films medyo okay naman siya. A very slight difference lalo na pag fast scene (Car chase at kung fu) medyo nawala ung parang shadow.

Siguro if your just a viewer you could not see a difference. If the viewer (just like us) who are inclined technically might see a difference.

What are they using at the appiliance centers? lalo na yung mga sa samsung LCD TV display. Upscaler ba yun or an HD player. Linaw kasi resolution, Ayaw naman sabihain nang salesman kung ano source. 

Offline knefut

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • zzz....
  • Liked:
« Reply #1567 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 10:31 AM »
i've got a 2xx driving floorstanders in a 3.1 set up. two years now and no SARS itch yet.

thinking of a hk3480 for a stereo set up with my new crystal 40s.

Offline boglers

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Suggestion for AV Receiver and Speakers
« Reply #1568 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 02:56 PM »
Need help from the Pros:

My room is around 18 sq.m. and im planning to buy separates. Can you recommend what AVR, speakers and Sub I should buy considering my area. My budget is around 30-40k :) Partner ko sya sa Pioneer 600AV at sa Panasonic 42PV70H :)
Panasonic 42PV70H
ONKYO-505
Pio-DV600
Wharfs 9.1/DFS/CS
US A

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1569 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 04:30 PM »
Need help from the Pros:

My room is around 18 sq.m. and im planning to buy separates. Can you recommend what AVR, speakers and Sub I should buy considering my area. My budget is around 30-40k :) Partner ko sya sa Pioneer 600AV at sa Panasonic 42PV70H :)

Denon 1907 (on sale at 16.5k)
Wharfe 9.1 fronts & center (10k)
Wharfe 9dfs (4.5k)
US audio Sub (5k?)
Coax speaker wires (2-3k)

hth  :)

Offline ian

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1570 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 09:00 PM »
Wharfe 9dfs (4.5k)
US audio Sub (5k?)

Hi MAtZTER

Saang store available?

Offline boglers

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1571 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 10:42 PM »
Wharfe 9dfs (4.5k)
US audio Sub (5k?)

Thanks Matzter! :) Active ba or passive ang US audio sub? alin ba mas ok? :) ang mahal pla ng speaker wires p lang! hehehe! Magastos talaga etong bisyo na eto! :)
Panasonic 42PV70H
ONKYO-505
Pio-DV600
Wharfs 9.1/DFS/CS
US A

Offline Ferl

• Collector
  • Thats me!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1572 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 11:02 PM »
mga bosing singit lang at o.t. how about hk with q acoustics? does the warm and bright combination matter on this one? as i note correct me if im wrong wharf and hk are both warm. a good combination as most say warm and bright either the speaker or the avr.

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1573 on: Feb 01, 2008 at 06:15 AM »
Almost the same set up as sir Matt mentioned:

Denon 1907
Wharf 9.1 (Fronts)
Wharf WH2 (Center/Surround)

Needs:
Sub: US Audio (6.5K) -- Sir Matt saan yang 5K na US Audio sub?

For my room 3 x 4 the sound is great. Need to upgrade to a 42" display para mas masarap ang viewing :)
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1574 on: Feb 01, 2008 at 10:49 AM »
Thanks Matzter! :) Active ba or passive ang US audio sub? alin ba mas ok? :) ang mahal pla ng speaker wires p lang! hehehe! Magastos talaga etong bisyo na eto! :)

Active. 6.5k pala US ausio sub, as per Jep.

Magastos? You are just at the tip of the iceberg  ;D. Consider software cost , upgrade cost, etc.

Contentment is the key to this hobby, the more content you are, the less you will spend.  :D

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1575 on: Feb 01, 2008 at 12:00 PM »
US Audio subs can be auditioned at Dai-mega. I do not like the sound of US Audio subs. They are too boomy/muffled for most types of music. They also have Bay Audio 10" sub on display, it is a sealed sub and was tighter for jazz/classical/pop music but lacks the power for that thumping bass for most RnBs/hip-hop/Raps/bass tracks and easily bottoms up in heavy bass music.
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline boglers

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1576 on: Feb 01, 2008 at 04:03 PM »
Active. 6.5k pala US ausio sub, as per Jep.

Magastos? You are just at the tip of the iceberg  ;D. Consider software cost , upgrade cost, etc.

Contentment is the key to this hobby, the more content you are, the less you will spend.  :D

OO nga... entry-level pa nga lang yung sa akin ... yung  sa inyo eh talaga namang high-end at pinag gagastusan ng maigi :) Yan din target ko...pero hirap kumuha ng wife approval :)

May question pla ako: Kahoy kse yung walls ko eh... if idikit ko dun yung DFS hindi kya lumangitngit ang walls ko? :( Ok pa rin kya yung setup na nirecommned nyo considering my wooden walls? :(
Panasonic 42PV70H
ONKYO-505
Pio-DV600
Wharfs 9.1/DFS/CS
US A

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1577 on: Feb 01, 2008 at 04:21 PM »
OO nga... entry-level pa nga lang yung sa akin ... yung  sa inyo eh talaga namang high-end at pinag gagastusan ng maigi :) Yan din target ko...pero hirap kumuha ng wife approval :)

May question pla ako: Kahoy kse yung walls ko eh... if idikit ko dun yung DFS hindi kya lumangitngit ang walls ko? :( Ok pa rin kya yung setup na nirecommned nyo considering my wooden walls? :(

LOL. I started w/ entry levels too on my first HT & never found contentment (thus my advice above) until my current power amped setup. Yan, napagastos tuloy sa kaka upgrade (plus oras pa). Thats why I keep recommending people to get the best gears they could reasonably afford... and dont skimp on the receiver (very important IMO). Constant upgrading can be a b**ch. :D

Get it right the first time! Buti pa kayo may PDVD when you are starting your HT! :D

Wood walls are ok, just place those rubber stickers found in ACE in between the speaker & the wall.

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2008 at 04:42 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1578 on: Feb 01, 2008 at 04:41 PM »
Pero kung pure HT lang naman...ok ba ang US Audio.
I was able to audition this sa shop ni Sir Jeff, ok naman yung performance.
I'm going to Mega Mall today to check Dai and other stores.
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline boglers

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1579 on: Feb 02, 2008 at 07:14 AM »
LOL. I started w/ entry levels too on my first HT & never found contentment (thus my advice above) until my current power amped setup. Yan, napagastos tuloy sa kaka upgrade (plus oras pa). Thats why I keep recommending people to get the best gears they could reasonably afford... and dont skimp on the receiver (very important IMO). Constant upgrading can be a b**ch. :D

Get it right the first time! Buti pa kayo may PDVD when you are starting your HT! :D

Wood walls are ok, just place those rubber stickers found in ACE in between the speaker & the wall.

what exactly are these rubberstickers?Anong tawag? bka kse punta ako ACE para mabili ko na :) TIA
Panasonic 42PV70H
ONKYO-505
Pio-DV600
Wharfs 9.1/DFS/CS
US A

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1580 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 11:41 AM »
what exactly are these rubberstickers?Anong tawag? bka kse punta ako ACE para mabili ko na :) TIA

Its those rubber "bumper" stickers you place below stuff to keep them from being scratched, they come in many sizes at the sticker section of ACE or True Value.

Offline boglers

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1581 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 04:27 PM »
Its those rubber "bumper" stickers you place below stuff to keep them from being scratched, they come in many sizes at the sticker section of ACE or True Value.

Ok thanks :) will look for it ;)
Panasonic 42PV70H
ONKYO-505
Pio-DV600
Wharfs 9.1/DFS/CS
US A

Offline boglers

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1582 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 09:36 PM »
Ano po ba tamang positioning ng rear speakers? Sa likod talaga or pde rin sa side ng viewer.... ano ba mas ok? dapat rin ba ear level or ok lang naka bitin sa ceiling tapos directed paibaba?
Panasonic 42PV70H
ONKYO-505
Pio-DV600
Wharfs 9.1/DFS/CS
US A

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1583 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 01:15 AM »
sa tagal ko ng nde napapadalaw sa pinoydvd, yung tanong ko sa kabilang section, dto ko pla dapat natanong.

i really enjoy the gurus here helping newbies and i guess people like me who is trying to regain some ht set-up after 2-3 yrs hiatus of our hobby (budget issues).

mahirap din kpag natamaan ng SARS, i remembered when i had to sell my set-up then due to emergency, iniwasan ko muna magbasa sa mga set-up section (audio/speakers/amplifiers/receivers) para nde ako lumungkot nun at ma-miss mga gears ko.

napaiwas din ako pumunta sa mga AV shops nun at nagtrain sarili ko na mag-appreciate ng ipod shuffle.

i really had to tighten up my belt para makabili ng HT set-up nun.

But now i'm slowly trying to complete the HT set-up piece by piece with what sir matz can buy with a limited budget.

hopefully, i will be able to complete my HT set-up soon with a budget of around 35k maxed. as much as possible also, ayoko na muna ng upgrade (particularly spkrs)

i was lucky enough to closed a deal to get a rcvr (pre-owned hk230 mint unit) at around 12k (although sa sabado ko makukuha yung unit). i do hope i can find the necessary FS and center to pair with this without going over my budget and also with out the SARS attack.

it would be nice to have some hdmi features but i can live w/o them since contented ako sa crt tv at sd dvd players

(i can use my existing aowa spkrs for surround/ sub will be my last concern - probably nxt yr pa if budget permits)

it was suggested to me to get wharfes already which i will consider. hope you guys can suggest more alternatives po. tnx :)

more power dun sa nde nagsasawa magbigay ng advise.  :D

Offline james16

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1584 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 01:20 AM »
Ano po ba tamang positioning ng rear speakers? Sa likod talaga or pde rin sa side ng viewer.... ano ba mas ok? dapat rin ba ear level or ok lang naka bitin sa ceiling tapos directed paibaba?

IMHO, kung 5.1 set-up mo, yung sa surround, i wud say sa side at about 2 ft above the seating position (sweet spot) kung san ka manonood.

sa 7.1 - nde ko alam sa surround back coz i never had a 7.1 rcvr before.

Offline boglers

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1585 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 10:15 AM »
IMHO, kung 5.1 set-up mo, yung sa surround, i wud say sa side at about 2 ft above the seating position (sweet spot) kung san ka manonood.

sa 7.1 - nde ko alam sa surround back coz i never had a 7.1 rcvr before.

Ok lang kya if mga almost 4 ft high? Mas ok ba if naka direct sa listener  yung speakers or pde rin na naka dikit sa backwall... Wharfedale DFS yung balak ko ilagay... parang two-directional naman sya...parang i think pde na rin sya :) Sa tingin nyo?
Panasonic 42PV70H
ONKYO-505
Pio-DV600
Wharfs 9.1/DFS/CS
US A

Offline james16

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1586 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 05:52 AM »
Ok lang kya if mga almost 4 ft high? Mas ok ba if naka direct sa listener  yung speakers or pde rin na naka dikit sa backwall... Wharfedale DFS yung balak ko ilagay... parang two-directional naman sya...parang i think pde na rin sya :) Sa tingin nyo?

tingin ko naman ok ang 4 ft high, sensya na at di ako familiar sa Wharfedale DFS eh, kung di-pole sya, tingin ko ok na yan.

Offline Julia

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1587 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 03:27 PM »
Hi, Just curious.  What is an upscaler?

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1588 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 04:09 PM »
A DVD player that could enhance (daw) the resolution of a standard dvd disk. Normally a dvd  movie has a resolution of 560i/460P (not sure), but with an upscaler you could put it up to 720P, 1080i or at 1080P.

You have to attach the player to an large LCD TV capable of above resolution to see a difference (kung meron).

My own experience, very slight ang difference or non at all to a viewer.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1589 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 04:19 PM »
A DVD player that could enhance (daw) the resolution of a standard dvd disk. Normally a dvd  movie has a resolution of 560i/460P (not sure), but with an upscaler you could put it up to 720P, 1080i or at 1080P.

You have to attach the player to an large LCD TV capable of above resolution to see a difference (kung meron).

My own experience, very slight ang difference or non at all to a viewer.

Yep, just like I said, it doesnt make a big diff on a smaller Tv or when you are viewing from 4 or more meters away (my bed to wall dist).

When you are testing for PQ differences of upscalers in a store, BE REALISTIC and view the difference from your normal viewing position/distance.

Its NOT realistic to watch from 1 meter away, see a difference, SPEND an extra 2-3k for the DVDp & hdmi cable (yung iba baka yung 11k monster HDMI pa! LOL) , then come home frustrated cuz there is no difference watching from your bed, 5 meters away!  :-\

SAVE YOUR MONEY na lang!  :D
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2008 at 05:57 PM by MAtZTER »