Author Topic: Is is worth getting a tp55h95?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is is worth getting a tp55h95?
« on: Nov 05, 2006 at 01:23 PM »
Greetings.

Im planning to purchase my cousins Toshiba tp55h95. According to her, its 5 years old and she is upgrading to plasma. In my case, I will be upgrading from my old 29" JVC TV.

Looking and checking at Google, I got the following details of the TV:

# Model: TP55H95
# Item Package Quantity: 1
# Display Technology: Projection
# Display Size: 55 inches
# Image Aspect Ratio: 4:3
# Parental Lock: Y
# Multi Channel Preview: Picture-in-picture (PIP)
# Secondary Audio Program: Y
# DBX Noise Reduction: Y
# Audio Output Mode: Stereo
# Speakers Included: 2 speakers
# DVD Type: None
# Width: 46.9 inches
# Depth: 22.4 inches
# Height: 53.5 inches
# Weight: 250 pounds

1. Is it worth getting it?
2. How much would a second hand of these cost usually?
3. What are the things I gotta look out for?
4. Maintenance?

Thanks in advance

Offline turismo1997

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
Re: Is is worth getting a tp55h95?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2006 at 06:11 PM »
One item you should consider is the lamp life. If it cost 70-100k, better look for the other technologies like LCD. I'm assuming you are into DVD's. Better ask yourself if you want widescreen TV.

Offline Eric S.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Etong Iyo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 08:50 AM »
  I have a 5 year old Toshiba, I think TW65HX81 and it still serves me well. We had a TP50H60 which we gave to a good friend and I believe that one still functions well.  For these "old" sets, first thing to look for is burn in. Check the whole picture out, see if there r "imbedded logos" on the screen which do not go away. If this is present, walk away.  Look for color inconsistencies..like too much blue or red or green. These in my opinion can still be adjusted thru the menu. I once adjusted the colors on an old Mitsubishi set that was all around blue. Took me about 30 minutes after which the owner said its as if he has a new set due to its more vibrant and lifelike picture. If ur cousin does not do the usual "maintenance" on RPTVs, then the convergence must be out of whack, i.e., green outlines on the left and red outlines on the right of objects on the screen. This again can be remedied via the menu on convergence but more comprehensively by the service menu.
 As for price, u should not pay more than $300...dapat nga eh..pamana na lang sa 'yo yun. Understand that it can output progressive scan but its not widescreen and not HD ready. But mind u, upgrading to a 55" from a 29" is monstrous! That's almost twice the real estate!

For maintenance, u should tweak the contrast and brightness down and adjust or calibrate the colors via Avia or whatnot. More importantly, the convergence should be check every so often as this thing will "drift" off giving u a nasty picture. With regards to lamplife, don't know about Pinasside but here, the guns, (not lamp) will last a decade or so with only a part giving out every 5 years or so. My TW65HX81 just had the whole set of flybacks or something which attaches to the guns replaced for just $150 and the tech said that would last me another 5 years.
 But all things considered, the set is old and obsolete. If ur budget aloows, liek Turismo says, look to something better, LCDs or DLPs. If however, mura ang bigay sa 'yo....presyong kamag-anak ika nga, sige tira pare ko!

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 10:52 PM »
  I have a 5 year old Toshiba, I think TW65HX81 and it still serves me well. We had a TP50H60 which we gave to a good friend and I believe that one still functions well.  For these "old" sets, first thing to look for is burn in. Check the whole picture out, see if there r "imbedded logos" on the screen which do not go away. If this is present, walk away.  Look for color inconsistencies..like too much blue or red or green. These in my opinion can still be adjusted thru the menu. I once adjusted the colors on an old Mitsubishi set that was all around blue. Took me about 30 minutes after which the owner said its as if he has a new set due to its more vibrant and lifelike picture. If ur cousin does not do the usual "maintenance" on RPTVs, then the convergence must be out of whack, i.e., green outlines on the left and red outlines on the right of objects on the screen. This again can be remedied via the menu on convergence but more comprehensively by the service menu.
 As for price, u should not pay more than $300...dapat nga eh..pamana na lang sa 'yo yun. Understand that it can output progressive scan but its not widescreen and not HD ready. But mind u, upgrading to a 55" from a 29" is monstrous! That's almost twice the real estate!

For maintenance, u should tweak the contrast and brightness down and adjust or calibrate the colors via Avia or whatnot. More importantly, the convergence should be check every so often as this thing will "drift" off giving u a nasty picture. With regards to lamplife, don't know about Pinasside but here, the guns, (not lamp) will last a decade or so with only a part giving out every 5 years or so. My TW65HX81 just had the whole set of flybacks or something which attaches to the guns replaced for just $150 and the tech said that would last me another 5 years.
 But all things considered, the set is old and obsolete. If ur budget aloows, liek Turismo says, look to something better, LCDs or DLPs. If however, mura ang bigay sa 'yo....presyong kamag-anak ika nga, sige tira pare ko!

Thank you very much for you very enlightening post. Seems like getting a newer model is more favorable with you guys. Unfortunately, I'm still ok with my 29", its just that, I thought, the price was something that I shouldnt pass on, or should I? My cousin is giving it away for 20k in two installments. Dunno, if thats good already or not. Im kinda bothered with the lamp life that you guys were talkin about. Is there a way to check this our? Is the price reasonable?

Thanks again

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 11:05 PM »
for the 20k price tag and 2 installments, very tempting sya  :o :o ;), btw, what type of video inputs does it have? PQ will play a very big role for big screen tvs..... you could see the difference from composite - svideo - component - HDMI. as for me, big screen tvs need at least a component video input para sulit ang pagpanood ng dvds  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2006 at 11:13 PM by skylynx888 »

Offline Eric S.

• Apprentice
  • Etong Iyo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 05:15 AM »
  P40 k? Kung maganda pa ang pic OK na yun...tatagal pa ng 5 years siguro. Pero kung ako....save ko na lang at bibili ako ng HDTV talaga, wideSCREAM na (ika nga ng 4 year old ko nun) with HDMI pa! Future proof na ...well at least another 10 years...maybe.

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 10:34 PM »
  P40 k? Kung maganda pa ang pic OK na yun...tatagal pa ng 5 years siguro. Pero kung ako....save ko na lang at bibili ako ng HDTV talaga, wideSCREAM na (ika nga ng 4 year old ko nun) with HDMI pa! Future proof na ...well at least another 10 years...maybe.

Its just 20k dude and two gives pa, baka I can make tawad pa. But sinced you say that it might last just another 5 years, thats 20k down the drain pa rin. Now im confused ???

Offline Eric S.

• Apprentice
  • Etong Iyo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2006 at 07:04 AM »
  My mistake..akala ko 2 gives na P20k....kung maganda pa ang picture tulad ng sabi ko at mukhang alaga naman sa pinsan mo, puede na sir!