Author Topic: FF7: Advent Children by Magnavision  (Read 3900 times)

Offline el-el

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
FF7: Advent Children by Magnavision
« on: Nov 14, 2006 at 01:26 AM »
Looking good on a standard 4:3 TV, but on a widescreen TV via HDMI, it looks like crap!!! Looks like there's an anomaly with how the movie encoded...

We returned the DVD to Astrovision and the sales agent said they will be consulting Magnavision regarding the matter. This is the first time I've encountered a DVD na ganung hati yung gilid yung buong movie, to think nakalagay sa back inlay widescreen sya (though I understand na yung mga previews ay 4:3 nga lang so ok lang na putol yung gilid, but the movie itself should extend and cover the entire screen width and height since 16:9 sya)...

Tried it on 2 DVD players (Pioneer dv-696av - on HDMI, XBOX media center) ganun talaga, di nag-eextend to full screen.

Anybody having the same problem with Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children DVD (local one)....  ???

BTW, it was tested dun sa Astrovision on a 16:9 LCD TV, although composite connection lang ang gamit... Syempre ok dun... Eh walang component cable, di tuloy na-testing ng maayos.

EDIT:
Found the problem.... Ayaw nyang magpa-upcale (through the Pioneer via HDMI or even dun nga sa XBox XBMC... I tried to use component connection (not upscaled), the display looked fine.  :o It seems like the video contains some bits na ayaw magpa-upscale.... Wierd.....  ???
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2006 at 06:51 AM by el-el »

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: FF7: Advent Children by Magnavision
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 12:44 PM »
I don't have this DVD but I saw a couple of months back that there are 2 versions of this film: A deluxe edition at P895 and the budget edition at P475. Which one did you buy?

Magnavision is known to release substandard cropped budget versions in DVD5 whose quality is no different from what you buy in Quiapo. I think this is a common knowledge now for most DVD collectors.

Offline el-el

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 10:26 PM »
I don't have this DVD but I saw a couple of months back that there are 2 versions of this film: A deluxe edition at P895 and the budget edition at P475. Which one did you buy?

Magnavision is known to release substandard cropped budget versions in DVD5 whose quality is no different from what you buy in Quiapo. I think this is a common knowledge now for most DVD collectors.

What my brother got was the p475 thing.....

You're right about the dvd5 thing  - they've got low bit rates.... but I also noticed that some locally released dvds (on dvd9) still have crappy picture quality....

Offline Grandpoobah

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Mwahaha- talo kayo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2006 at 02:38 PM »
And now... the 2 disc version is just P475!
Is this worth picking up? Are there any inlays?

Offline Jun_P

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2006 at 10:03 AM »
sir Grandpoobah, where did you see the 2 discs versions? I've been trying to look for this, but can't seem to find any. Puro budget version.

Offline cel-shaded

• Collector
  • Forum Visitor
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2006 at 09:26 AM »
And now... the 2 disc version is just P475!
Is this worth picking up? Are there any inlays?

If it contains these specs, then it's really a good buy.

Disc One
- Feature film in two formats: original Japanese language with English subtitles; and dubbed in English
- "Reminiscence of "Final Fantasy VII" featurette (story digest of original game) (in English)

Disc Two
- "The Distance" Making-of Featurette
-  Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children: Venice Film Festival footage
- Deleted scenes
- Sneak peak of upcoming "Final Fantasy VII" games
- Trailers

Offline BaD_BURN

• Collector
  • Overworked and underpaid
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2006 at 12:31 AM »
On February 6, 2007, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Limited Edition Collector's Set) on DVD. The double dip will delve further into the Final Fantasy VII legacy with tons of bonus materials and extra features. The set will be available for the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) of $49.95.

The Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Limited Edition Collector's Set) DVD will feature the following bonus materials:

-Ten collectible postcards
-English movie script
-Biographical character booklet
-Reminiscence of FINAL FANTASY VII Story Digest
-FINAL FANTASY VII: ADVENT CHILDREN: Venice Film Festival Footage
-Sneak Peek of Upcoming FINAL FANTASY VII Games
-Trailers
-Deleted Scenes
-The Distance: Making-of Featurette with All New English Voice Cast Interviews
-Anime Feature: Last Order FINAL FANTASY VII

Should be worth the double dip, if only for the inclusion of Last Order. ;D Cover artwork is pretty minimalistic but shouldn't be an issue if you're a fan. I know I am. ;D

Offline Koolkat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2006 at 07:27 AM »
Question is, lalabas kaya ito r3? ???
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline kahl-el

• Collector
  • Great Krypton !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2006 at 11:07 AM »
For those interested, 2 disc version of FF7 Advent Children available at Astro Podium at P450.

:) :)

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2006 at 11:41 AM »
On February 6, 2007, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Limited Edition Collector's Set) on DVD. The double dip will delve further into the Final Fantasy VII legacy with tons of bonus materials and extra features. The set will be available for the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) of $49.95.

Does it say if it has a DTS track? The Japanese release had it. And it was a sad day when the American release only had the Dolby 5.1 track.

Offline kahl-el

• Collector
  • Great Krypton !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2006 at 01:39 PM »
Does it say if it has a DTS track? The Japanese release had it. And it was a sad day when the American release only had the Dolby 5.1 track.

Sir,

Tried browsing cdjapan for the R2 Japanese version and the site says that it only has Dolby Digital 5.1.
I haven't seen any version with a DTS track. San nyo po nakita yung may DTS track na version ?

:) :)

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2006 at 05:23 PM »
I was in Japan about 5 or 6 months ago and I saw a copy in a video store with the DTS logo  :(

Then again, I could be mistaken. The casing was a hard plastic shell with both Sephiroth and Cloud standing side by side.

Offline insomnii

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2009 at 11:32 AM »
I bought this crap at astro vmall dahil sale siya at P125.00. This is a 2007 Sony Pictures local release which I thought was a good buy. Instead it was goodbye P125.00. Jack Sparrow's copy is a lot better in terms of PQ and sound than this bastardized release. Well, anyway, you get what you pay for.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+432)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1259
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2009 at 03:55 PM »
I bought this crap at astro vmall dahil sale siya at P125.00. This is a 2007 Sony Pictures local release which I thought was a good buy. Instead it was goodbye P125.00. Jack Sparrow's copy is a lot better in terms of PQ and sound than this bastardized release. Well, anyway, you get what you pay for.

As indicated in posts above, this crappy release should be the budget version. The 2-disc edition has good PQ & SQ.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2009 at 05:05 PM »
As indicated in posts above, this crappy release should be the budget version. The 2-disc edition has good PQ & SQ.

Agree. It's just the budget version that is low quality.

Offline jonster

• Collector
  • Bring me to life.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 10:34 AM »

I believe this is only a DVD5 disc unlike the 2disc version which is in DVD9.  They should indicate in their packaging if its a DVD5 or a DVD9.  I always warn my friends to avoid the budget dvds coz most of which are in DVD5.  Kahit ako nalilito na rin.  ??? >:(
I'm my own worst enemy

Offline insomnii

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 08:30 PM »
How can one distinguish a budget DVD? By its packaging? Sorry, ngayon lang ako nakabili ng ganitong klaseng DVD

Offline jonster

• Collector
  • Bring me to life.
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 01:12 PM »
How can one distinguish a budget DVD? By its packaging? Sorry, ngayon lang ako nakabili ng ganitong klaseng DVD

Mahirap madistinguish unless you will open it.  You can look at this thread discussing budget dvds: http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=60574.0
I'm my own worst enemy

Offline insomnii

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 12:34 PM »
Pinamigay ko na lang yung DVD...ah, eh VCD pala....(sigh!)

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 01:58 PM »
Pinamigay ko na lang yung DVD...ah, eh VCD pala....(sigh!)

What!?!? All this time you were complaining about a VCD!?!?