Author Topic: harman/kardon avr  (Read 363334 times)

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: harman/kardon avr
« Reply #3870 on: Jan 05, 2011 at 12:59 AM »

Guys I need your help.

After 5 years of not being used, i finally decided to hook up again my HK AVR-5500 to my Wharfs speakers. Everything still sounded great... Nothing has changed except that now hindi na nag sasave ang settings nya once na unplug ko sa kuryente yung AVR.

What seems to be the problem here? WHere can i have this fixed. So far yun lang problemang nakita ko... everything else seems to work fine... It still sounds superb on a wharf speakers..

Your help is greatly appreciated.... :)
Walang Setup

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3871 on: Jan 05, 2011 at 06:02 AM »
hi sir,

nde ko lang sure pero bka tulad ng pc, need lang palitan ng certain battery yung memory nyan.

hope that will be the solution, miss ko na yung ganyan na kulay ng HK

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3872 on: Jan 05, 2011 at 11:52 PM »
hi sir,

nde ko lang sure pero bka tulad ng pc, need lang palitan ng certain battery yung memory nyan.

hope that will be the solution, miss ko na yung ganyan na kulay ng HK

When i e-mailed Harman Kardon, they said that a battery inside needs replacement.. but when i look into the vents with a very strong flash light and i can see almost every components inside.. wala naman akong makitang battery look alike na component...

Hmmmmmm....
Walang Setup

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 806
« Reply #3873 on: Jan 06, 2011 at 06:02 AM »
When i e-mailed Harman Kardon, they said that a battery inside needs replacement.. but when i look into the vents with a very strong flash light and i can see almost every components inside.. wala naman akong makitang battery look alike na component...

Hmmmmmm....

It's normally a small capacitor that stores the memory and not a conventional battery.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline eaferrer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • So little time, So many gadgets to buy ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3874 on: Jan 08, 2011 at 03:04 PM »
It's normally a small capacitor that stores the memory and not a conventional battery.

Yup , It is actually a backup capacitor which acts like a battery to keep about 2.5V supplied to the controller/ processor IC .. Must have a diagram to make sure you are changing the correct cap  :)

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3875 on: Jan 10, 2011 at 08:38 PM »
Yup , It is actually a backup capacitor which acts like a battery to keep about 2.5V supplied to the controller/ processor IC .. Must have a diagram to make sure you are changing the correct cap  :)

Thanks for all your input. Will bring the unit na lang sa Beyond Innovations service center. Are they still in libis?

Amp is still working fine except for this minor defect.
Walang Setup

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3876 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 05:25 AM »
hk 160 and hk 260 available again for demo at the shop. hk 460 coming soon. :)

Sir, please pa quote naman nang prices. thanks.

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3877 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 08:00 AM »
will they release again an all black receiver...
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2011 at 07:57 AM by james16 »

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3878 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 08:05 AM »
Sir, please pa quote naman nang prices. thanks.

Sent you pm. :)

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3879 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 08:05 AM »
will they release again an all black receiver again...

No news on that. :(

Offline mareustroy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3880 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 12:23 PM »
any user in HK avr 254? im planning to buy this avr.. :)

Offline julianne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3881 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 01:47 PM »
Hi, I'm a user of the H/K AVR 255. This is the Asia/Europe equivalent of the AVR 254.
It is a very good mid range AV Receiver in terms of sound quality, power and features.

Other shops and internet forums compared them to the Onkyo TX-SR60x series, the Denon AVR 191x series and well as the Yamaha RX-V66x series.

In terms of power, it is rated at 65W per channel on 2-channel stereo and 50W per channel in all channels driven. Most of the Japanese brand such as Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer or Yamaha, etc. rated their AV Receivers in 2-channel stereo only which is somehow misleading.

One of the gripe I can say is the firmware update process of which you need to update the AVR via RS-232 and WinXP. The latest firmware update as of Jan. 2011 is the 07-01-2010 01, AFW v0.98.3.1, DSP Version 1.2.9. Another issue is the EZSet/Eq which is only good for movies. Turning this OFF and manually adjust the speaker level via SPL makes the speakers more 'ALIVE' specially when listening to music or CD.

It does not have the Audyssey EQ or the Dolby Pro Logic IIz. It only has 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output but it has the preamp outputs. You can use an external multi-channel Power Amplifier if you want bigger sound applications.

My set-up is 7.1 and composed of Bose 701 Series I, Bose 301 Series IV and V, Bose VCS-10 and Velodyne VX-10. As per my experience, the AVR 255 can drive these speakers at reference level without restraining.

I do not own Blu Ray Player or PS3 but have Popcorn Hour A-200 in watching 1080p24Hz movies.

Before I bought the AVR 255, I do research as well and compared it to the Onkyo TX-SR606 and Denon AVR 1910 in demo. In my opinion, the AVR 255 is better than the SR606 and 1910 in terms of sound quality (warm sounding I guess). Just an opinion and do not want to offend others.

Hope this helps.

Offline cbotc

• Apprentice
  • You pay peanuts, you get monkeys
  • Liked:
« Reply #3882 on: Feb 21, 2011 at 04:52 AM »
Thanks for all your input. Will bring the unit na lang sa Beyond Innovations service center. Are they still in libis?

Beyond Innovation is still in Libis, right before Eastwood. I brought my HK avr35 there last December. All the surrounds mode gone except for stereo mode. Sadly, my unit is still at beyond Innovations, awaiting availability of parts.. >:(

Offline kristian

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3883 on: Mar 06, 2011 at 04:36 PM »
 :)hello po, newbie lang ako sa HT, pero im starting ti build my own. gusto ko lang kahit simple set up. receiver na lang kulang ko because meron nako HTIB and I want a receiver as a next step. andito po ako sa qatar and may nakita ako sale na HK 142 bundled with JBL scs140 5.1 speakers for 24k in pesos. ask ko lang kung good buy na po ba ito.im not planning to spend alot gusto ko lang maganda and maayos sounds. Thank you and more power... ;)

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3884 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 09:26 PM »
hk 160 - 25.5k
hk 260 - 39k
hk 460 - 65k

:)

Offline rojody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3885 on: Mar 14, 2011 at 11:05 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm an owner of a HK AVR 255, had problems last year with the unit, especially when playing CDs or music files from a pioneer DVD player (with USB) and my seagate media player. When the next track of a CD or a music folder plays/starts, a bit of the song is not played, like half-a-second. I found this to be also true when playing movies, like the sound at the start of the next track/part gets cut-off when forwarding movies. Brought it to Beyond Innovations and they said it was just gonna be an upgrade of the firmware/software. The problem still exists, although not at all times. Does anybody have the same problem, or has anybody experienced this? I want to bring the unit back to Libis but I don't know if the problem is my Pioneer DVD player or my Media player...

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 806
« Reply #3886 on: Mar 14, 2011 at 11:08 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm an owner of a HK AVR 255, had problems last year with the unit, especially when playing CDs or music files from a pioneer DVD player (with USB) and my seagate media player. When the next track of a CD or a music folder plays/starts, a bit of the song is not played, like half-a-second. I found this to be also true when playing movies, like the sound at the start of the next track/part gets cut-off when forwarding movies. Brought it to Beyond Innovations and they said it was just gonna be an upgrade of the firmware/software. The problem still exists, although not at all times. Does anybody have the same problem, or has anybody experienced this? I want to bring the unit back to Libis but I don't know if the problem is my Pioneer DVD player or my Media player...

That's normal behavior for Media players.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline julianne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3887 on: Mar 15, 2011 at 03:24 PM »

Hi, if you are sending digital signal to the AVR 255, that is normal on H/K AVR's. I also have the AVR 255 and a Pioneer DVD player as well with HDMI. I'm using Popcorn Hour A-200.

When I address it to H/K, the customer service said that the reason why they do that is because the AVR 255 is choosing the surround mode during the muted period.  It is also identifying the bit depth and sample rate, which is even more important for playing back audio.  This is happening with every track because your DVD player is dropping the synchronization signal between each track.  If the DVD player did not drop the sync signal, this would not happen.

One thing that you can try is use analog cables. Using the L/R analog cable you will not experience any muting at the beginning of each song.

For my experience, the sound when I use the AVR 255 HDMI, optical or coaxial is much better (better dynamics) compared to my Pioneer DV-610AV. Most probably because of the implementation of DACs in the AVR 255.

Hope this helps.

Offline rojody

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3888 on: Mar 15, 2011 at 11:32 PM »
That's normal behavior for Media players.
Thanks for the reply. So that explains the Media player. But how about the Pioneer DVD player? I set the audio source from the coax.

Offline rojody

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3889 on: Mar 15, 2011 at 11:36 PM »
Hi, if you are sending digital signal to the AVR 255, that is normal on H/K AVR's. I also have the AVR 255 and a Pioneer DVD player as well with HDMI. I'm using Popcorn Hour A-200.

When I address it to H/K, the customer service said that the reason why they do that is because the AVR 255 is choosing the surround mode during the muted period.  It is also identifying the bit depth and sample rate, which is even more important for playing back audio.  This is happening with every track because your DVD player is dropping the synchronization signal between each track.  If the DVD player did not drop the sync signal, this would not happen.

One thing that you can try is use analog cables. Using the L/R analog cable you will not experience any muting at the beginning of each song.

For my experience, the sound when I use the AVR 255 HDMI, optical or coaxial is much better (better dynamics) compared to my Pioneer DV-610AV. Most probably because of the implementation of DACs in the AVR 255.

Hope this helps.
Wow, so that explains it, thanks for the detailed explanation. So does it mean everybody with HK receivers has experienced this? Btw, I use the coax cable as the sound connection from my Pioneer DVD player, not the HDMI. This also qualifies as digital source, right? Thus the muting at the beginning of the track? I might also add that before the firmware upgrade there was a popping sound at the change of tracks, which was eliminated after the upgrade.

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3890 on: Mar 16, 2011 at 12:21 AM »
Wow, so that explains it, thanks for the detailed explanation. So does it mean everybody with HK receivers has experienced this? Btw, I use the coax cable as the sound connection from my Pioneer DVD player, not the HDMI. This also qualifies as digital source, right? Thus the muting at the beginning of the track? I might also add that before the firmware upgrade there was a popping sound at the change of tracks, which was eliminated after the upgrade.

This doesn't happen to my HK AVR-5500. Though my HK is 7 years old.
Walang Setup

Offline shuttertrigger

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #3891 on: Mar 17, 2011 at 09:10 AM »

Sir, please update how much for the cost of this. I think we have the same problem. Though its all working fine with Wharfs. Regards sir!  ;)
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3892 on: Mar 17, 2011 at 09:42 PM »
Sir, please update how much for the cost of this. I think we have the same problem. Though its all working fine with Wharfs. Regards sir!  ;)

Will do sir, planning to bring the HK probably next week or week after that..
Walang Setup

Offline cbotc

• Apprentice
  • You pay peanuts, you get monkeys
  • Liked:
« Reply #3893 on: Mar 28, 2011 at 11:50 AM »
My HK AVR35 is still at Beyond Innovation, according to them parts to be replaced are Front Panel PCB Assembly and Audio Input PCB Assembly. They are still looking for parts replacement, can anybody suggest how and where I can source for these parts? This is turning out to be a restoration job for a 12yr old avr.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter.

Offline ybrip

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3894 on: Apr 03, 2011 at 07:50 PM »
Gud evening Sirs! I'm torn between buying a Harman Kardon AVR 160 or Onkyo 508. Which one do you think is better? I intend to use it 50/50 (movies/audio). TIA

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #3895 on: Apr 04, 2011 at 04:27 AM »
Gud evening Sirs! I'm torn between buying a Harman Kardon AVR 160 or Onkyo 508. Which one do you think is better? I intend to use it 50/50 (movies/audio). TIA

Hear them with your desired speakers first, to see which one works for you. :) Also, check out the AVR features to see if the 160 meets your needs (the 508 is the more feature-laden option).

Offline dj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • "be better, be happy"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3896 on: Apr 04, 2011 at 07:55 AM »
both receiver will sound good in wharfes. mas musical lang for me ang wharfes sa onkyo. but you say 50/50 ka sa audio/movies kaya for me sa h/k ang bagsak ko. but its your decision sir you can never go wrong sa dalawa.
panasonic 50c10
harman/kardon avr 335
wharfedale diamond 9s
dtx
samsung
pensonic
measy e8hd

Offline ybrip

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3897 on: Apr 04, 2011 at 10:45 PM »
Thanks Sir Stagea and Sir dj! I'm actually choosing between Rti a1 and Infinity Primus 162 speakers. Will have to audition these speakers with both H/K 160 and Onkyo 508 before I decide. My room only measures 2.8m x 6m so I'm thinking of just getting BS as fronts. But surely,will audtion Primus 252 and Tsi 300 as well. Do you think my AVR options match well with the speakers I mentioned? Thanks once again.

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3898 on: Apr 04, 2011 at 11:34 PM »
Thanks Sir Stagea and Sir dj! I'm actually choosing between Rti a1 and Infinity Primus 162 speakers. Will have to audition these speakers with both H/K 160 and Onkyo 508 before I decide. My room only measures 2.8m x 6m so I'm thinking of just getting BS as fronts. But surely,will audtion Primus 252 and Tsi 300 as well. Do you think my AVR options match well with the speakers I mentioned? Thanks once again.

I've auditioned the RTa1 against infinity and tsi, the RTA1 won, now ive got one in my bedroom.. just got it today.. the RTA's sound more detailed and more fuller... though maganda din yung Infinity and TSI pero mas nanalo talaga ang RTA's for me...
Walang Setup

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3899 on: Apr 05, 2011 at 05:35 AM »
I've auditioned the RTa1 against infinity and tsi, the RTA1 won, now ive got one in my bedroom.. just got it today.. the RTA's sound more detailed and more fuller... though maganda din yung Infinity and TSI pero mas nanalo talaga ang RTA's for me...

Congrats bro! Bagay yan sa Yamaha in pure direct mode. Yang a1 ang pang-lullaby ko sa baby tuwing gabi.  ;D