Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 368453 times)

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2395
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #2130 on: Nov 06, 2009 at 11:59 AM »
i recently had my lens replaced and FW 3.0 was re-installed. No problem with playing games although have not tried watching BD movies  ;) only thing now is nakatayo na yung PS3 ko as recommended by the one who repaired it  ;D

Hi bro Von, nice to hear na ok na your ps3. I never go to the internet for firmware updates ;D. I usually just buy the latest sports games or some games (sports fanatic ako :D) and whatever firmware version it comes with, auto update thru disc lang ako hehe..I'm always a firmware or two behind. ;D Ok lang for me,  Ya I may be missing out on a lot of the stuff thru internet but I just use my pc for the other stuff. My ps3 is really for games and movies nalang. Mostly games now bec I have the Sony s350 na for movies. Ya I know I'm missing out on online play, ok lang ;D, I'm not really good at these games anyway haha.. ;D

I was at EYO one time and I'm asking the guy there regarding the lens. He said usually the reason it conks out is bec of the updating thru the internet. Another is people pause the game for so long. I don't know if these are true. Anyway I have my ps3 for almost 3 years na ata. I really love it, its great and so far so good (knocking on wood) ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2009 at 12:01 PM by Moks007 »

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2131 on: Nov 06, 2009 at 02:13 PM »
Problem is, I think Sony is in denial that the new firmware has something to do with all the sudden failures.  An article I read a while back said that Sony claimed it as coincidental.  

I'm not sure if they've recently changed their stand on the issue though.  

Nope, Sony is aware of the problem since tre release of 3.0 and is apologetic after their blog were flooded by complaints.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/09/update-on-ps3-firmware-3-00/

As if they dont conduct alpha and beta testing anymore . . . they release the firmware straight to the consumers to do the testing. Maybe its better to just wait for feedbacks first regarding newly released fw before doing any updates. I'm sticking w/ version 2.78 for the meantime as I am not sure if my 40GB/drive can handle the faster spinning.

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2132 on: Nov 06, 2009 at 02:53 PM »
Nope, Sony is aware of the problem since tre release of 3.0 and is apologetic after their blog were flooded by complaints.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/09/update-on-ps3-firmware-3-00/

As if they dont conduct alpha and beta testing anymore . . . they release the firmware straight to the consumers to do the testing. Maybe its better to just wait for feedbacks first regarding newly released fw before doing any updates. I'm sticking w/ version 2.78 for the meantime as I am not sure if my 40GB/drive can handle the faster spinning.

Good to know.  Just wondering why they didn't fix this when they released 3.01.  Caused more harm because a lot were expecting 3.01 to have fixed the bug.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2133 on: Nov 06, 2009 at 04:33 PM »
Good to know.  Just wondering why they didn't fix this when they released 3.01.  Caused more harm because a lot were expecting 3.01 to have fixed the bug.

it did fixed the bug (freezing when playing uncharted 2), but by making the drive spin faster, it created a more serious problem, hardware malfunction.  :)

imho, they panicked when a lot of people complained regarding uncharted 2 being unplayable in some units, since uncharted was a very big release for sony and record number of people have already bought it. they release a firmware very quick to ease the tension and backlash from consumers, maybe they tested it only with their slims and newer phat models (i assume they always get the new models), forgetting that older phat models still exist at the homes of thousands of users. boom! unusable bd drives...  :-[

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2134 on: Nov 06, 2009 at 05:14 PM »
I'm sticking w/ version 2.78 for the meantime as I am not sure if my 40GB/drive can handle the faster spinning.

Me too...if it ain't broken don't fix it... :D

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2135 on: Nov 19, 2009 at 12:26 PM »
No mention of any new blu support :-[

PS3 firmware 3.10 released with Facebook support, 'richer' trolling experience

If you've been lusting to indulge in all of those new social networking possibilities that the new PS3 firmware provides, today is your lucky day. And you know what that means: the firmware 3.10 update! Are you ready to post trophies to your Facebook page, signaling your gaming prowess to the world at large? Then you'll want to travel over to the System Update option in your console.

Additional New Firmware 3.10 Features (not related to Facebook):

Photos: Photos will now be displayed in a grid format for simplified access and viewing.
Friends List: The PlayStation Network Friends List has an enhanced design that enables users to customize the background color of their PlayStation Network Profile.

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #2136 on: Nov 19, 2009 at 01:24 PM »
No mention of any new blu support :-[

PS3 firmware 3.10 released with Facebook support, 'richer' trolling experience

If you've been lusting to indulge in all of those new social networking possibilities that the new PS3 firmware provides, today is your lucky day. And you know what that means: the firmware 3.10 update! Are you ready to post trophies to your Facebook page, signaling your gaming prowess to the world at large? Then you'll want to travel over to the System Update option in your console.

Additional New Firmware 3.10 Features (not related to Facebook):

Photos: Photos will now be displayed in a grid format for simplified access and viewing.
Friends List: The PlayStation Network Friends List has an enhanced design that enables users to customize the background color of their PlayStation Network Profile.

this will be released this week right?

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #2137 on: Nov 19, 2009 at 02:04 PM »
this will be released this week right?
its already available for download  ;)

Offline pao625™

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2138 on: Nov 19, 2009 at 05:48 PM »
its already available for download  ;)

yup, just updated my FW to 3.1. so far so good! ;D cool nun integration with facebook! :D :D :D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #2139 on: Nov 19, 2009 at 08:46 PM »
yup, just updated my FW to 3.1. so far so good! ;D cool nun integration with facebook! :D :D :D

naka slim ka sir pao or phat? kamusta naman playing bd. no issues?

and another question (new to ps). i have a hk unit, so i must download from hk ps site?

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2395
« Reply #2140 on: Nov 19, 2009 at 10:47 PM »
naka slim ka sir pao or phat? kamusta naman playing bd. no issues?

and another question (new to ps). i have a hk unit, so i must download from hk ps site?

Hi sir, afaik yes, if you have the asian unit you have to download from the asian site which is HK.
But pls ask the other guys here just to make sure. I never download from the internet for my ps3 bec. Im a chicken "you know what" ;D I'm always scared it will brick my unit ;D.. But i'm sure it won't.

When I had my 360 addon, I always download the latest firmware bec it has a lot of issues reading some of my hddvds. So far my ps3 reads everything I throw in there ;D. Its just an excellent player and plays games pa  ;) hehe.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #2141 on: Nov 20, 2009 at 06:17 AM »
Hi sir, afaik yes, if you have the asian unit you have to download from the asian site which is HK.
But pls ask the other guys here just to make sure. I never download from the internet for my ps3 bec. Im a chicken "you know what" ;D I'm always scared it will brick my unit ;D.. But i'm sure it won't.

When I had my 360 addon, I always download the latest firmware bec it has a lot of issues reading some of my hddvds. So far my ps3 reads everything I throw in there ;D. Its just an excellent player and plays games pa  ;) hehe.

thanks sir raymond, i already downloaded the update. just waiting to make sure it has no issues before i do the deed.  ;D

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2142 on: Nov 20, 2009 at 01:38 PM »
downloading na din fr. SG site . . .

Offline jupacabra

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2143 on: Nov 20, 2009 at 01:56 PM »
Downloaded the latest firmware kagabi lang. Well, as far as what I have experienced until lately, no problems at all...

By the way Im using PS3 Slim Asian Version. CECH2012 model.... I dont know though kung may problems sa older models...

Well see in the coming weeks kung may lalabas na issues regarding this firmware update.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2009 at 01:57 PM by jupacabra »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #2144 on: Nov 21, 2009 at 03:12 PM »
updated. well, everything is still working.   ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2009 at 04:40 PM by iiinas »

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 263
« Reply #2145 on: Nov 21, 2009 at 04:08 PM »
Updated (slim japan ver) to 3.10.  Played a BD (Planet Earth), a game (Tekken 6), and some music.  No problems encountered so far.

Took a lot longer than the 3.01 update, definitely.

Offline dredmund

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2146 on: Nov 23, 2009 at 05:50 PM »
Hi!

Has anyone tried to have their PS 3's repaired by Sony Service Center? If yes,how was it? Thanks.
 :)

dredmund

Offline toyfanatic

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • "ExEpTiOnAl ClArItY"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2147 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 09:13 AM »

mine is asian ps3 80gb CECHL12 no problems encountered firmware 3.10 ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2148 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 06:11 AM »
Nowdays its a risky business to be the first to update the FW  ;D

Now that toyfanatic has certified it's ok, who will be the next?  ;D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #2149 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 07:39 AM »

Now that toyfanatic has certified it's ok, who will be the next?  ;D

i have upgraded. works fine, from bluray to gaming. although i have a asian slim.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #2150 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 03:52 PM »

You only have that option not to upgrade your FW if you'll just use your PS3 strictly for viewing BDs. But the moment you play a game you have to update it otherwise you won't be able to play online.

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2151 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 04:24 PM »
Any feedback sa US Phat and US Slim sa new firmware?
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline arvin_dp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2152 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 12:04 PM »
Updated to the latest firmware. so far so good. using PS3 slim here.

Offline coffeetiger

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2153 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 10:41 PM »
I just updated to firmware 3.10.  So far, everything seems okay.  I played Uncharted 2 without any hitch.  Popped in a BD movie and it played fine as well.  I'm using 80 GB Asian Phat.

Offline scoob

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • DVD Addict
  • Needs to learn a few tricks...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2154 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 11:43 PM »
Updated my PS3 phat Asian 60Gig to ver 3.10.  Played NBA2K10 and Tekken 6.  Watch 2 BDs one after the other and still no problem.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2155 on: Dec 02, 2009 at 06:59 AM »
You only have that option not to upgrade your FW if you'll just use your PS3 strictly for viewing BDs. But the moment you play a game you have to update it otherwise you won't be able to play online.

I see...yes, I'm using my PS3 solely for BD/photo/music only nowdays. Since no one encounter any problem, I also updated the latest FW.

Offline TOY 01

• Trade Count: (+323)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2156 on: Dec 02, 2009 at 07:36 AM »
Updated my ps3 slim also so far wala naman problem. Yun problem ko lang ng una is hindi ma sync yun controller sa ps3 dapat pala kabit mo muna sa cable then off ps3 using the controller.
Allan 0917-8975003 (Please indicate username)

Offline nuper17

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2157 on: Dec 04, 2009 at 10:36 AM »
Hey guys, I have a question. I bought my PS3 120 gb slim asian version recently at greenhills. Since marami sa mga usapan nyo ay di ko maintindihan, eto mga tanong ko....

- double lens ba ung ps3 na nabili ko? If yes, is it more durable in watching BD movies?
- what is this Firmware you guys are talking about? So far, my PS3 works fine.
- Do I have to upgrade? Is this required? The people where I bought my PS3 does not recommend me to upgrade, it will just complicate things for my gaming.
- Ok lang ba na gamitin ko as a BD player ang PS3 slim ko?

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanks and regards  :)

Offline pao625™

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2158 on: Dec 04, 2009 at 10:57 AM »
Hey guys, I have a question. I bought my PS3 120 gb slim asian version recently at greenhills. Since marami sa mga usapan nyo ay di ko maintindihan, eto mga tanong ko....

- double lens ba ung ps3 na nabili ko? If yes, is it more durable in watching BD movies?
yes, double lens po yan...
- what is this Firmware you guys are talking about? So far, my PS3 works fine.
FW3.1 na ngayon. You can check your PS3's FW under settings. You need to update your FW if you want to sign in in PSN and play online.
- Do I have to upgrade? Is this required? The people where I bought my PS3 does not recommend me to upgrade, it will just complicate things for my gaming.
see my answer above.
- Ok lang ba na gamitin ko as a BD player ang PS3 slim ko?
yes, of course. ;D most of us do use it as BD player. additional n lang un gaming.. hehehe...

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanks and regards  :)

Hi Sir, here are my replies regarding your inquiries. :D
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2009 at 10:58 AM by pao625 »

Offline nuper17

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2159 on: Dec 04, 2009 at 11:04 AM »
Hi Sir, here are my replies regarding your inquiries. :D

Thanks Pao, I already bought my first BD movie - The Rock nicolas cage and Ed harris. Pero siguro moderately ko lang gamitin as player ung PS3 ko kasi baka masira ung lens...just to make sure... :)

Thanks