Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 368494 times)

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #2160 on: Dec 04, 2009 at 12:41 PM »
Thanks Pao, I already bought my first BD movie - The Rock nicolas cage and Ed harris. Pero siguro moderately ko lang gamitin as player ung PS3 ko kasi baka masira ung lens...just to make sure... :)

Thanks

oks lng.. ako more on games ngayon.  ;D almost 1 year na un PS3 ko, so far so good. :D enjoy your new toy sir! :D

Offline jarod

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2161 on: Dec 04, 2009 at 12:46 PM »
From all you peeps here, where could be the best place to get one nowadays? Would you also recommend the fat or the slim version?

Offline alistair

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2162 on: Dec 04, 2009 at 01:48 PM »
From all you peeps here, where could be the best place to get one nowadays? Would you also recommend the fat or the slim version?
V-mall, plenty of retailers selling slightly at better prices that DataBlitz. Also, get the slim. Even just the 120GB—then just upgrade the HD to 320GB/500GB.

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #2163 on: Dec 04, 2009 at 06:18 PM »
V-mall, plenty of retailers selling slightly at better prices that DataBlitz. Also, get the slim. Even just the 120GB—then just upgrade the HD to 320GB/500GB.

yup, i agree.. slim 250 gb in GH costs around P16k++

Offline qwerty765

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • ako ay isang lyama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2164 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 07:55 AM »
Guys, question regarding using the PS3 as an internet browser:

Is it really slow? I tried using it and it took a while just to open the default PS3 homepage. And another thing, it can't open some web sites, i.e. youtube. Is this a limitation of PS3.

I haven't updated my firmware since I bought this, I think it's stil ver 2 (don't know the exact version, but I bought this Nov. 2008). Will there be any improvements if I upgrade to the latest version in terms of internet browsing speed?

Thanks!

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #2165 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 06:21 AM »
I have some question. I upgrade my PS3 FW. Recently I dont have problem with it but now It can't read any disk????? I use my PS3 80% BD Movie and 20% playing. Never use it as a DVD player.
Right now I can still use all the application except for playing Disk. Is this cause by the FW Upgrade?
- Where is the best place to fix the lens issue?
TIA
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline andre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2166 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 08:20 AM »
That's why I dont update my PS3, All my Media Player, Xbox360, Etc if they are all playing normally. Aside from sudden brownout occuring during updating the firmware (hopefully that wont happen to any of us).

And unless, I cant play the PS3 or Xbox360 games. Then I have no choice but to update the firmware.

I once updated my Media Server software for my old DLink media player. The player no longer recognize the media files. Good thing I still have the old firmware.

Note : Pls dont let my opinion prevent any of you from updating firmwares.  :)

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2167 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 08:42 AM »
Tinignan ko FW ng PS3 Phat ko it is still 2.7x  ;D ;D ;D Di ko din kasi masyado ginagamit (kaya up for sale na).

@jarod - Greenhills, iTech and Data Blitz are your best bet for a new unit. Dun ka sa meron warranty. Para kung magka problema meron ka hahabulin  ;)

@nuper - wag ka masyado mag alala sa pag gamit ng PS3 mo for BD viewing. I think Sony developed the PS3 for gaming and viewing. So merong mga stress test yan for BD viewing din. From what I've read karamihan naman ng issues eh sa FW upgrade hindi sa madalas na pag gamit ng PS3. BAsta hindi abused I don't think you'll have any problems.
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline jheyzon

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2168 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 09:16 AM »
@odyopayl

sir variant po ng ps3 ang gamit nyo?

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #2169 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 09:34 AM »
@odyopayl

sir variant po ng ps3 ang gamit nyo?

The Big one. I bought a tool to open it to check what causing problem ;D I will post a picture of dismantled PS3 ;)
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2170 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 09:45 AM »
That's why I dont update my PS3, All my Media Player, Xbox360, Etc if they are all playing normally. Aside from sudden brownout occuring during updating the firmware (hopefully that wont happen to any of us).

And unless, I cant play the PS3 or Xbox360 games. Then I have no choice but to update the firmware.

I once updated my Media Server software for my old DLink media player. The player no longer recognize the media files. Good thing I still have the old firmware.

Note : Pls dont let my opinion prevent any of you from updating firmwares.  :)

I agree. If it ain't broke. don't fix it.  The only time you should update the firmware is if you can't get it to play what it should be playing with newer releases.  That goes for my PC as well.  With greedy companies like Sony, you'll never know if the firmware update is just a ticking time bomb so you will need to buy a new hardware a few months down the road. It is not uncommon to hear of users reverting back to the old firmware after encountering problems in the new one.  Sony has gained notoriety releasing premature and underdeveloped products just to get your money early and then release firmware updates.  napaso na ako with their cellphone P990i that had me updating the firmware almost every 2 months.  The PS3 is another classic example.  It is the only consumer electronics device that have customers update its firmware 3 years after it was launched.  It tells you how sloppy they are in designing their products when it relies on the consumer to do the corrections themselves with firmware updates that its designers should have done before marketing it.. It's one thing to have firmware updates to bring the product up to date with technology or improve its performance which is fine by me,  It's another to have firmware updates that correct it like performance stability issues or add features that should have been there right from the start - which shows their contempt on the market getting your money for half baked products.

* System Software Ver. 3.15 (Dec 2009) You can now transfer the data that is saved on one PS3 system’s hard disk to another PS3 system’s hard disk using an Ethernet cable.
    * System Software Ver. 3.10
    * System Software Ver. 3.01
    * System Software Ver. 3.00
    * System Software Ver. 2.80
    * System Software Ver. 2.76
    * System Software Ver. 2.70
    * System Software Ver. 2.60
    * System Software Ver. 2.53
    * System Software Ver. 2.52
    * System Software Ver. 2.50
    * System Software Ver. 2.43
    * System Software Ver. 2.42
    * System Software Ver. 2.41(July 2008) This update fixes the problem that has prevented a limited number of PS3 systems from activating properly after updating to version 2.40, which was caused by certain system administrative data being contained in the HDD.
    * System Software Ver. 2.40 (July 2008) You can now turn off the PS3 system from the PS3 Home Menu screen using the [Turn Off System] option. For DTS-HD playback on DVD-Video and Blu-ray Disc media, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 for DVD-Video and DTS-ES Matrix for Blu-ray Discs are now supported.
    * System Software Ver. 2.36(June 2008)  System stability during use of some PlayStation format software has been improved.
    * System Software Ver. 2.35
    * System Software Ver. 2.30 (April 2008)  Blu-ray Disc playback now supports DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio output.
    * System Software Ver. 2.20 (March 2008) Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0 (BD-LIVE) is now supported.
    * System Software Ver. 2.17 (March 2008) The operating stability of some PLAYSTATION 3 format software has been improved.
    * System Software Ver. 2.10
    * System Software Ver. 2.01 (Nov 2007) System stability has been improved for some operations, including the use of the Internet browser and the Information Board.
    * System Software Ver. 2.00
    * System Software Ver. 1.93 (Sept 2007) The stability of the network connection has been improved.
    * System Software Ver. 1.92
    * System Software Ver. 1.90
    * System Software Ver. 1.82 (June 2007)Support for playback of AVC High Profile (H.264/MPEG-4) format video has been added
    * System Software Ver. 1.81
    * System Software Ver. 1.80
    * System Software Ver. 1.70 (May 2007) You can now download PlayStation format software and play it on the PS3 system.
    * System Software Ver. 1.60
    * System Software Ver. 1.5X
    * System Software Ver. 1.3X
    * System Software Ver. 1.11
    * System Software Ver. 1.10 (Nov 2006) You can now use PLAYSTATION Network services. You can now select [Full Screen] under [Screen Mode] when playing video files saved on the hard disk or storage media. You can now download and save music and video files on the hard disk under [Internet Browser].

Having rambled about it, I guess it's now the trend to really have consumers finish the task the makers should have done.  I had thought this was true only with desktop computers with the likes of greedy Microsoft unable to perfect its Windows OS for the last 15 years and issuing patches and foisting new releases like the half-thought-out Vista just to get your money in the interim before releasing the more capable Windows 7 that is really the successor to the XP. Now you have it on consumer electronics as well.  My one other caveat is that they should be priced cheaply if makers like Sony are leaving it to consumers to complete and finish what they started for them.  Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2009 at 10:04 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline 2RM

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2171 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 04:10 PM »
Pls help naman po to decide. Im planning to buy PS3 to use as watching BD and DVD (upscaling capability?)movies and gaming. Regarding gaming, priority ko p rin sana ung backwards compatibility for PS2 Games and i've read sa internet na its the 60GB phat  model ang meron nito. Ok p bang bumili ng ganitong model or PS3 slim na lang disregarding the backwards compatibility? TIA

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #2172 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 06:01 PM »
Better get the Slim. First of all, it will be very hard to find a brand new BC-equipped PS3 in the market nowadays. Secondly, the Slims run cooler with less power.

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2173 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 07:04 PM »
I think its better to use your PS2 console for playing your PS2 games.
That way it will lessen the wear & tear of your PS3 lens.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2174 on: Dec 12, 2009 at 03:43 PM »

Gold PS3 is gold, costs five grand

What do you get the gamer who has everything?

Answer: this 24-karat gold-plated Playstation 3, which comes complete with two matching controllers and a one-year warranty.

You might want to consider a second mortgage first, though: pricing starts at (yes, starts at) $4999. And we thought the PS3 was expensive when it launched at $500.

If that doesn't quite do it for you, the same supplier also offers a mighty snazzy gold-and-black Blackberry Tour 9630, starting at a mere $899. There's that worrying "starts at" again. The menu also includes platinum-plated iMacs -- no home's complete without one -- and promises a jewel-encrusted limited-edition PS3 will be on sale in a few weeks.

If even those aren't exclusive enough, check out this gold NES cartridge, which sold back in July for a staggering $17,500. Now that's what we call bling.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2009 at 03:45 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline JAQY888

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2175 on: Dec 12, 2009 at 04:00 PM »

at $4999.00 ..... WHOA !!!!!!!  :o :o :o :o :o
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline nosaj30rje

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2176 on: Dec 12, 2009 at 09:41 PM »
Never use it as a DVD player.

i play movies from my PC to my PS3 using a DVD-R.. i guess playing DVD in a slim is just fine as stated in the manual..

Offline 2RM

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2177 on: Dec 13, 2009 at 01:02 AM »
Better get the Slim. First of all, it will be very hard to find a brand new BC-equipped PS3 in the market nowadays. Secondly, the Slims run cooler with less power.

I think its better to use your PS2 console for playing your PS2 games.
That way it will lessen the wear & tear of your PS3 lens.

Thanks for the replies, actually nasira na kasi ung ps2 ko, ayaw na magread ng kahit anong disc but never tried to bring sa repair shop and maybe slim na nga lang since its the latest model.  Will try to bring sa repair shop sana mura lang gastos. Any idea for the cost of the repair? Thanks again!

Offline 5000rpm

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2178 on: Dec 13, 2009 at 06:42 PM »
does Datablitz give a free game with each purchase of PS3?

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #2179 on: Dec 14, 2009 at 10:20 AM »

I don't think it does. But they may have a bundle price if you want 1 or 2 games added with the PS3.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #2180 on: Dec 14, 2009 at 12:41 PM »

If you want bundles, go to i-Tech. They offer great deals.

Offline javauser

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2181 on: Dec 15, 2009 at 12:15 AM »
i have an asian version ps3. can it play bluray discs bought from amazon.com?
Optoma HD33
Denon AVR-X4000
KEF R500
KEF R200C
KEF R100
KEF LS50
SVS PB12NSD
www.activelearning.ph

Offline 2RM

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2182 on: Dec 15, 2009 at 12:18 AM »
Ano bang mga games ang pwedeng i-save at i-play sa PS3?

Offline javauser

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2183 on: Dec 15, 2009 at 12:40 AM »
ps3 games
Optoma HD33
Denon AVR-X4000
KEF R500
KEF R200C
KEF R100
KEF LS50
SVS PB12NSD
www.activelearning.ph

Offline Pillow

• DVD Addict
  • Unstoppable!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2184 on: Dec 15, 2009 at 01:29 AM »
No bundle. Last time I asked, they give P200 off on NBA 2K10 for those buying the unit.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #2185 on: Dec 15, 2009 at 10:03 AM »
i have an asian version ps3. can it play bluray discs bought from amazon.com?

yup. asian ps3 (hk or singapore) can play u.s.a blurays. we are the same region "a" with usa.

Offline 5000rpm

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2186 on: Dec 16, 2009 at 06:20 AM »
by the way, does PS3 come with HDMI cable?

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #2187 on: Dec 16, 2009 at 08:46 AM »
by the way, does PS3 come with HDMI cable?
Nope....

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 264
« Reply #2188 on: Dec 18, 2009 at 03:42 PM »
Blu-ray 3D disc specification finalized

Computerworld -  The Blu-ray Disc Association announced today that it has finalized the 3-D Disc Specification, which includes support for the PlayStation 3. The format will be display agnostic, supporting any 3-D television, including LCD and Plasma models.

Full story at:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9142439/Blu_ray_3D_disc_specification_finalized

Offline 5000rpm

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2189 on: Dec 19, 2009 at 11:17 PM »
will a UPS unit suffice to protect our PS3? or do you guys prefer an AVR?