Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 368510 times)

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #2310 on: Mar 29, 2010 at 03:01 PM »
Older PS3s losing 'install other OS' option in Thursday's firmware 3.21 update

Bad news, Linux fans. The older PlayStation 3 consoles are losing one of the features they could tout over their Slim successor. Firmware 3.21 is coming out this Thursday, April 1st, and its major raison d'être is to kill the "install other OS" option. (This is "not an April fools joke," as the PlayStation Europe blog clarifies.) "Security concerns" is the cited reason, although we're sure that doesn't make you feel much better -- no one likes the loss of a feature, even if it wasn't being used. Those who wish to keep Yellow Dog or Fedora running can opt to not upgrade, but skipping out means losing the ability to access PlayStation Network and play games online, among other things. DARPA enthusiasts notwithstanding, we can't say we know many people still running Linux on their console, but if you count yourself among the few and proud, our condolences. Them's the breaks, but hey, at least some of you still have PS2 compatibility.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/28/older-ps3s-losing-install-other-os-option-in-thursdays-firmwa/

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2311 on: Apr 10, 2010 at 02:32 PM »
Sony PlayStation 3 Game Console/Blu-ray Player

Price: $300 At A Glance: Now bitstreams Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio • Fast and reliable Blu-ray playback • Built-in Wi-Fi for Web interactivity and firmware updates

We’ve reviewed Sony’s PlayStation 3 twice in Home Theater (March 2007 and May 2008). Since Sony has provided many updates to its software and hardware, it deserves another look. When it originally launched in November 2006, the Blu-ray format was on the ropes due to its lackluster titles and handicapped first-generation players. Even die-hard supporters were wobbly in the legs, and they pinned their hopes on the delayed game system as the format’s savior.

Their hopes were ultimately redeemed. The PS3 effectively ended the format war—even though it took Toshiba more than a year to wave the white flag. For more than three years, the PS3 has dominated the landscape as the best Blu-ray player on the planet because of its incredible speed, rock-solid stability, and constant updates.

In spite of their many fine attributes, the previous PS3 models aren’t perfect. For one, they can’t bitstream Dolby and DTS’s advanced audio codecs.

Full article:
http://hometheatermag.com/discplayers/sony_playstation_3_game_consoleblu-ray_player/index.html
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2010 at 02:32 PM by pchin »

Offline Macmon

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2312 on: Apr 10, 2010 at 08:42 PM »
Saw a sony exhibit in Shang in Edsa ground floor and they were using a PS3 to play 3D demos.
To Boldly go where no Bluray has gone before.

Offline symbian74

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2313 on: Apr 11, 2010 at 03:37 PM »
Saw a sony exhibit in Shang in Edsa ground floor and they were using a PS3 to play 3D demos.

What model TV was it providing the video stream to? Not a 3D model? (although I have not seen any 3D model mentioned in the 2010 Bravia line).

Offline donnamay

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2314 on: May 25, 2010 at 08:33 AM »
bro newbie po... nid ur experties! anong ma suggest nyo na standalone dvd/hdplayer na entry level? kasi sabi
nla, they ussually suggest na gamitin lng ps3 for games and blue ray movies, kung dvd/hddvd movie use the stand alone player. tnx in advance!!!  :D

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #2315 on: May 25, 2010 at 01:54 PM »
bro newbie po... nid ur experties! anong ma suggest nyo na standalone dvd/hdplayer na entry level? kasi sabi
nla, they ussually suggest na gamitin lng ps3 for games and blue ray movies, kung dvd/hddvd movie use the stand alone player. tnx in advance!!!  :D

yes, that is correct. for HD movies (bluray) and games use your PS3 and as for DVDs just use any stand alone upscaling dvd player..

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #2316 on: May 29, 2010 at 12:23 PM »
Added info to Pao625.
Using dedicated player fo  a particular application will prolong the life of your Gears ;D HD Movies should use Blu Ray Player...Games and Playing Downloaded Movies use PS3..... For DVD use a DVD Player na lang. remember each Laser Head of your Player have Life expectancy that keeps on counting everytime you use them. Otherwise....Bluray Player is a Universal Player! enjoy!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline CARLITOCOOL

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Yo I'm Batman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2317 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 12:56 AM »
HELP mga gurus!

I just bought an Onkyo 507 receiver and I connected my Fat PS3 via HDMI cable.

Problem is I couldn't get it to play Bluray movies with Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio.

What do I do? Should there be a setting in the PS3 that I need to configure?

TIA
Panasonic TH-55ST30 3D Plasma
Onkyo TX-SR608
Mission M34i
Mission MX-C2
Mission MX-1
SVS PB10 N

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2318 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 01:12 AM »
In a nutshell...

- Set the PS3 to output Linear PCM
- Your receiver will now show MULTI Channel

That's DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD you will hear out of your AVR when you play a Bluray disc.

If you want an explanation, read the following;

http://hd.engadget.com/2009/04/21/hd-101-how-to-use-dolby-truehd-and-dts-hd-with-your-ps3/

Offline ditoy_eagle

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2319 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 01:39 AM »
Yes, the Fat PS3 can decode the HD Audio internally and output via PCM.  Only the Slim PS3 can bitstream DTS-HD/MA and Dolby True HD signals to let your new AV receiver do the decoding. If this matters to you, then upgrade to the Slim PS3 mura nalang naman ngayon yan.
Thanks to the PMPC for the award - Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the year in the 28th Star Awards!

Offline CARLITOCOOL

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Yo I'm Batman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2320 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 07:16 AM »
Yes, the Fat PS3 can decode the HD Audio internally and output via PCM.  Only the Slim PS3 can bitstream DTS-HD/MA and Dolby True HD signals to let your new AV receiver do the decoding. If this matters to you, then upgrade to the Slim PS3 mura nalang naman ngayon yan.

Thanks scifi and ditoy

Hmmm...very tempting tuloy to buy a slim PS3. Ganda kasi nakikita sa AVR yung DTS-HD  :D
Panasonic TH-55ST30 3D Plasma
Onkyo TX-SR608
Mission M34i
Mission MX-C2
Mission MX-1
SVS PB10 N

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2321 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 07:41 AM »
Hmmm...very tempting tuloy to buy a slim PS3. Ganda kasi nakikita sa AVR yung DTS-HD  :D

In Databliz the PS3 slim is selling at 14k+...I'm also thinking of getting this to replace my fat PS3 :)

Offline ditoy_eagle

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2322 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 09:59 AM »
hehe talagang mas maganda nakikita yung DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD sa receiver kaya swerte ako nung nabenta ko Fat PS3 just in time when padating na mga Slim. Datablitz na ako kumuha since they have good prices naman and US version.
Thanks to the PMPC for the award - Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the year in the 28th Star Awards!

Offline Galactus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Sturmbanfuhrer, Waffen SS
  • Liked:
« Reply #2323 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 01:16 PM »
Iba talaga mag-upscale ang PS3.  Bought a Spartacus DVD at Metrowalk which contains all 13 episodes last Saturday.  First tried playing it via the Samsung HTZ-220, since it has an upscaling function all the way up to 1080p (its connected btw to my 40B530 via HDMI).  Sagwa ng picture, highly pixelated, as in you can really see the squarish blocks in 90% of the screen.

So, I played it on my PS3.  Lo and behold, overall PQ really improved!  Nawala yung mga imperfections.  I spent over 6 hours watching 6 episodes last night, hehehe.  I only stopped when I noticed it was almost 1am, and I had to go to work pa   ;D
Ein Staat, Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer!

LG 65" UH7700
Yamaha RXV-677
Denon Sys 5.1
PS3/ Shield

Offline joveng1234

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2324 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 06:09 PM »
Mga Sirs, familiar sa akin ang data blitz but I just can't remember kung saan ko nakita yong store na iyon.  ??? Could someone kindly remind me where this store is.  TIA ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2325 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 06:18 PM »
Mga Sirs, familiar sa akin ang data blitz but I just can't remember kung saan ko nakita yong store na iyon.  ??? Could someone kindly remind me where this store is.  TIA ;D

I think they have branches in all the shopping malls i.e. SM & Robinson.

In Robinson Ermita (Manila) it is located at the third level near Globe service center.
In Mall of Asia, it is located along those computer/PC shops at the second level.

Others can chip in whichever area he is familiar.

Offline pao625™

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2326 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 06:30 PM »
I think they have branches in all the shopping malls i.e. SM & Robinson.

In Robinson Ermita (Manila) it is located at the third level near Globe service center.
In Mall of Asia, it is located along those computer/PC shops at the second level.

Others can chip in whichever area he is familiar.

they have branches in almost all of the major malls in manila. you can check out below to see which store is nearest to your place:

http://www.datablitz.com.ph/php_files/contents/contents.php?cmd=contents&title=Store%20Locations

Offline dok

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Take me out, tonight…
  • Liked:
« Reply #2327 on: Jun 19, 2010 at 05:21 PM »
folks! question...
a relative is selling his old ps3 (fat 60gb 110v).
he said the lens was already replaced by a shop in greenhills 3 months ago.
its still in good working condition.

question is: how much can i offer him for the said PS3 ?

(i dont know much about ps3's, dont need one and havent owned one)
(rfs: need cash for an important trip)
-

Offline ditoy_eagle

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2328 on: Jun 19, 2010 at 05:50 PM »
Best to look at tipidpc for current market prices for older ps3.  I have seen from other forums that some with the old fat ps3s experienced problems playing the newly released games so a lot already upgraded to the slim ps3 models.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2329 on: Jun 19, 2010 at 06:03 PM »
Eventhough the lens is replaced, it's safer to go for PS3 slim as I heard reports some of the old fat PS3 are having lens problm i.e. having hard time to read certain DVD/BD.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #2330 on: Jun 22, 2010 at 02:56 AM »
Kung 3k or 4k lang difference between a used PS3 to a new one, I'd go for  anew one. Investment na rin kasi yan at yung peace of mind mo with a new unit that you'll end up taking care of makes the added amount worth it.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2331 on: Jun 29, 2010 at 02:15 PM »
PS3 firmware 3.40 update adds enhanced Facebook integration, video editing 'soon'(update: now available)

PS3 firmware update 3.40 is on the way "soon," according to Sony, but since it adds the framework for PlayStation Plus, which launches tomorrow, we think it's safe to expect the update to arrive today or early tomorrow.

In addition to support for the new subscription service, firmware 3.40 adds a few new features to the XMB. The photo gallery is now enhanced with sharing capabilities, allowing users to upload to Facebook and Picasa, browse and comment on photos, and share photos with PSN friends. And strangely enough, you'll now be able to edit video on the PS3 through the new "Video Editor and Uploader" function. Those videos can then be put on Facebook or YouTube directly from the PS3.

In addition to these new media sharing options, users can now rate PlayStation Store purchases with up to five stars (which was a totally original idea when a certain website started doing it), and have access to more power-saving settings, including a default automatic-turnoff time of two hours.

The most interesting new PS3 user experience upgrade is actually totally separate from the PS3. Sony is introducing a PSN application for Facebook, allowing users to display their PSN profiles directly into their Facebook accounts, view friends' profiles, and send PSN friend requests through Facebook. Yes, you'll be able to use one social networking service to invite your friends to connect with you on another.

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010 at 02:27 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2332 on: Jun 29, 2010 at 04:38 PM »
The new "Video Editor and Uploader" function seems interesting. :)

Offline Blu-devil

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Bible, The Worlds Most Famous Work of Fiction
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2333 on: Jun 30, 2010 at 08:55 PM »
Note that all PS3/ Playstation 3 are indeed MULTI-VOLTAGE. They have a built in voltage regulator.
Denon AVR-4400H: Denon PMA520AE: DMP-UB400: Epson EH-TW9400: Jamo 7.1.4 Atmos Speakers: 135” screen

Offline xyobub

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2334 on: Jul 08, 2010 at 01:19 PM »
mga sir ano pong region ang ps3 na galing saudi, in terms of watching movie, playing games.etc..

TIA :)

Offline kolokoys

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • http://lumangmaynila.multiply.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2335 on: Jul 11, 2010 at 07:59 PM »
sir, my ps3 is from Qatar and it plays R1 Bluray (bought from Amazon).

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2336 on: Aug 05, 2010 at 09:09 AM »
 :D :D :D

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/04/visualized-playstation-3-is-big-in-japan/

Surely some folks must have noticed the similarites between the Namba Parks building in Osaka, Japan and the original PlayStation 3 before, but it somehow seems to have remained a well-kept secret on the internet until now. Apparently, the rent is cheap, but planned upgrades have hit a few snags.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2010 at 09:11 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2337 on: Aug 05, 2010 at 12:24 PM »
Hehe that's a nice building design :P

Offline Full HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2338 on: Aug 09, 2010 at 05:27 PM »
HI!To All Gamers Out There!!
I updated my son Fat PS3 1st Gen. to firmware 3.41,Guess What, He can't play his NBA 2K10.When you start,it just there,nothing.NEED HELP!!!
Thanks!!

Offline pao625™

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2339 on: Aug 09, 2010 at 05:54 PM »
HI!To All Gamers Out There!!
I updated my son Fat PS3 1st Gen. to firmware 3.41,Guess What, He can't play his NBA 2K10.When you start,it just there,nothing.NEED HELP!!!
Thanks!!

ok, what about other games? does it also hangs?