Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 368443 times)

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #270 on: Jul 09, 2007 at 09:35 PM »
I just found a program that turns your pc into a server and allows you to stream content to your ps3! download it free from TVersity. nakastream na ko ng audio files pero d ko pa mapagana photos and videos. kung mapagana nyo sa inyo papost naman pano settings nyo ;D

Offline aeris30

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #271 on: Jul 10, 2007 at 07:51 AM »
I just found a program that turns your pc into a server and allows you to stream content to your ps3! download it free from TVersity. nakastream na ko ng audio files pero d ko pa mapagana photos and videos. kung mapagana nyo sa inyo papost naman pano settings nyo ;D
Try using Nero, it automatically converts video files like .avi to a format compatible to the ps3.

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #272 on: Jul 10, 2007 at 08:26 AM »
TVersity is suppose to transcode video files to the ps3 in real time. d ko pa rin mapagana videos but i can stream music and photos na

Offline dinozar711

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
newbie questions about blu ray and ps3...
« Reply #273 on: Jul 11, 2007 at 12:41 AM »
hey! i am considering buying a ps3 for our home theater.  ok ba ito as a blu ray player?  will appreciate it when you guys can comment on its performance so far. also is the memory capacity is of great use right now i was thinking of buying a large memory ps3 because there might come a time when games could be downloadable just like in the psp and xbox. another question is about the HDMI cables. is it ok to buy the cheap cables? i saw a 900 peso hdmi cable. is that almost at par with the 2000+ cables? lastly, i know that there are two versions of ps3s- the asian version and the US version. i just want to know if there are restrictions when  it comes to "regions" of the disc. thanks! hope you can help me.

do you guys have any suggestions where i could buy a ps3 and blu ray movies/games?  have you tried getting discs from amazon.com?

Offline chiemonyo

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: newbie questions about blu ray and ps3...
« Reply #274 on: Jul 12, 2007 at 11:15 PM »
no need for you to purchase a pricey large capacity HDD bundled to a PS3 since you can easily upgrade/ replace the HDD with a standard 2.5-inch serial ATA laptop HDD  ;)

check this out   ;)

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2007 at 11:17 PM by chiemonyo »

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: Jul 15, 2007 at 12:48 PM »
just upgraded to the latest fimware. indeed, big difference in quality. im beginning to wonder if I still need an upconverting dvd player.

anybody here with comments on ps3 as a dvd player vs a pioneer 696avs?

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: Jul 15, 2007 at 09:15 PM »
just upgraded to the latest fimware. indeed, big difference in quality. im beginning to wonder if I still need an upconverting dvd player.

anybody here with comments on ps3 as a dvd player vs a pioneer 696avs?

well, for one thing, your PS3's DVD playback won't be region-free like the Pioneer. but in terms of picture quality, we have a pioneer upscaler at home, and i can't really tell them apart on my dad's 61" DLPTV.

but then again, sony says that they'll improve upscaling quality on the PS3 on future firmware updates. so, umm, there you go.  ;D

Offline jimmy-

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: Jul 15, 2007 at 10:15 PM »
what hdmi cable do you guys use to connect your ps3 to your tv/receiver?
where did you get it and for how much?

i think my cable is the cause for the flicker i am experiencing. thanks

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Jul 16, 2007 at 08:20 AM »
what hdmi cable do you guys use to connect your ps3 to your tv/receiver?
where did you get it and for how much?

got mine free with my Sony Bravia. the Sony branded ones are expensive costing from 2-4.5k depending on the length. i got an no-name brand HDMI-DVI connector at a shop in virramall for 950, so no-names may cost around that range i suppose.
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2007 at 08:20 AM by animated »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2395
« Reply #279 on: Jul 16, 2007 at 08:25 AM »
You need a router to connect either via ethernet cable or thru wi-fi. I have a 60gig PS3 & a smartbro connection + linksys wrt54gs router (upgraded with the latest firmware) setup. Right now I'm downloading the PS3's 1.82 FW update thru it's wi-fi connection, currently at 46% at 30 mins. elapsed time.
Sir have a question lang, these questions may be dumb sorry but you can connect straight to the dsl modem right? 2nd question, it says in the playstation site that if na interrupt yun download it will damage the software or something in that nature  na you have to get your unit repaired or whatever. Whats the better option to get this upgrade, straight dsl modem or save to computer and use a flash drive. Knowing ang sama connection here sa pinas and there may be brownouts na possibility of interruption. Last question meron download resume ba ito? Thanks

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Jul 16, 2007 at 08:31 AM »
Sir have a question lang, these questions may be dumb sorry but you can connect straight to the dsl modem right? 2nd question, it says in the playstation site that if na interrupt yun download it will damage the software or something in that nature  na you have to get your unit repaired or whatever. Whats the better option to get this upgrade, straight dsl modem or save to computer and use a flash drive. Knowing ang sama connection here sa pinas and there may be brownouts na possibility of interruption. Last question meron download resume ba ito? Thanks

firmware updates unfortunately do not have resumes, as far as i know. i feel downloading firmware directly from the ps3 is a bit slower than downloading from my mac. so i usually just use a flash drive or memory stick to update my ps3.

hindi naman siguro masisira yung ps3 mo kung maputol yung firmware download. kapag inu-update mo na tapos nagbrownout yung nakakatakot. :p
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2007 at 08:33 AM by animated »

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Jul 16, 2007 at 10:17 AM »
Thanks animated...
hmmm...now im really confused concerning one thing. I email Sony hong kong regarding their ps3 units, I got a email back and this guy from their service states "Ps3 games launched in the US may not run in the official Hong Kong Ps3" hmm... maybe this guy just made an error? Is he referring to backward compatibility of PS1 and PS2 maybe na it will not work in PS3.. can someone pls confirm again I dont want to make a mistake like what I did on my xbox 360.. Ty

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: Jul 16, 2007 at 11:23 AM »
Thanks animated...
hmmm...now im really confused concerning one thing. I email Sony hong kong regarding their ps3 units, I got a email back and this guy from their service states "Ps3 games launched in the US may not run in the official Hong Kong Ps3" hmm... maybe this guy just made an error? Is he referring to backward compatibility of PS1 and PS2 maybe na it will not work in PS3.. can someone pls confirm again I dont want to make a mistake like what I did on my xbox 360.. Ty

I have an asian 60gb PS3 bought from hongkong...
region coding of the unit:

blu-ray games & movies - Region A (north america, asia, japan) means US PS3 games will play on asian PS3
standard dvd - region 3
PS1/PS2 games - region 3

Offline Macross

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Jul 16, 2007 at 04:11 PM »
may tanong lang ako about sa ps3..anong advantage ba kung japan or U.S ang ps3 mo? salamat.

repost.  ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Jul 18, 2007 at 06:10 PM »
PS3 Price Cut in US Only Temporary

12:00 pm ET July 14, 2007 -Sony issued a statement late Friday confirming that it will no longer be producing the 60GB PS3. Once inventories are sold out, only the 80GB PS3 -- priced at $599 USD -- will be available.

According to Dave Karraker of Sony Computer Entertainment of America, "The 60GB PS3 will be available in North America for $499 until supplies of that unit are depleted. We have ample inventory to meet the immediate needs of consumers in this territory for several months to come. We won't be making any further announcements regarding our PS3 model hardware strategy in North America until the 60GB model is exhausted and market conditions are evaluated."

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Jul 23, 2007 at 07:57 PM »

Firmware v1.90 hits Japan; Arriving in Europe tomorrow

Posted Jul 23rd 2007 6:50AM by Jem Alexander
Filed under: Firmware Updates

As hinted at last week firmware version 1.90 has been released in Japan, with reports that it will arrive in English speaking regions within the next day or so. But what does it do? We're glad you asked. The following is a list of confirmed features that are worming their way around the internet. We'll let you know when the full patch notes become available.

Ability to rearrange games on the XMB
    Option menu now includes "eject disc"
    Press triangle on the XMB to eject the disc
    XMB backgrounds
    Change the folder classification
    Emoticons
    Change CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz
    Force 24Hz output for Blu-ray over HDMI
    Change PS3 video settings in-game
    "Bit Mapping" in the "Music Setting"
    Save AVCHD type animations from a Memory Stick
    Change settings like upscaling while playing PS and PS2 games
    Add bookmarks
    Web browser security function in the browser's tool section
    Avatar moves during audio visual chat

Overall, pretty nice indeed. That'll keep us going while we wait for the fabled 2.00 patch. XMB backgrounds and the ability to organise XMB content are things that we've seen requested many times. As for us, we're loving the ability to eject the disc from a distance, saving us precious seconds of seat-time before having to actually walk towards our PS3. Yes, we're that lazy.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2007 at 08:00 PM by aeris30 »

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Jul 24, 2007 at 11:48 AM »
PS3 Firmware v1.90 now available for download :)

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Jul 25, 2007 at 10:24 AM »
Just updated my PS3!

Now it has a custom background and the CD playback up to 176.4KHz.

1080p/24Hz rocks!!!  ;D

Update:
CD music has never been this great! At 176.4KHz the sound is richer, complete, full and more detailed.  :o
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2007 at 10:13 AM by NeilNo »
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline marckd1

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 10:52 AM »
PS3 Firmware v1.90 now available for download :)

Kaka upgrade ko pa lang may bago na naman  :o But, this is a nice upgrade compared to previous one.

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #289 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 02:11 PM »
Just updated my PS3!

Now it has a custom background and the CD playback up to 176.4KHz.

1080p/24Hz rocks!!!  ;D

Update:
CD music has never been this great! At 176.4KHz the sound is richer, complete, full and more detailed.  :o

What Audio out does this upscaling passes through? the A/V Cable, HDMI or Optical?
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 05:15 PM »

What Audio out does this upscaling passes through? the A/V Cable, HDMI or Optical?

HDMI & Optical...it will depend on your AV receiver if it supports a sampling frequency of 88.2 kHz or 176.4 kHz.
PS3 Audio CD Output Frequency

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #291 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 07:52 PM »

I'm using HDMI from the PS3 to my Onkyo 604 receiver. Optical should also be fine as stated in the PS3 manual. I can tell that I'm getting the 176.4KHz by pressing the "display" button on the receiver remote. The display screen on the receiver will then read "PCM fs=176.4KHz".

;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2007 at 02:19 AM by NeilNo »
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #292 on: Jul 27, 2007 at 05:18 AM »
Great.

Masubukan nga. Thanks.
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Jul 27, 2007 at 11:13 AM »
hello, this may be discussed already but feeling lazy to look back at the thread. Can someone pls help me. What is the diff between the japanese version and hk or usa version. I heard the japanese version is all in japanese when you want/go to internet play. How about the menus, Ps3 settings, instructions etc...Is it all in japanese too? Thanks

Offline nukee

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: Jul 27, 2007 at 04:06 PM »
well the japanese has english manual also. Basically there isn't much difference because it's been said that the ps3 is even autovolt. So even if says 110v for the jap and us, and 220v for the asias there is no diff. All games are supposed to be region free. The only affected is backward compatibility with orig ps2 and ps1 games. Plus the dvd's region code. But bluray is the same with jap, asia, and usa. Asian is the cheapest unit. Plus, it plays pirated dvd kasi most pirated dvd are region 3 hehehehe

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: Jul 28, 2007 at 09:47 AM »
well the japanese has english manual also. Basically there isn't much difference because it's been said that the ps3 is even autovolt. So even if says 110v for the jap and us, and 220v for the asias there is no diff. All games are supposed to be region free. The only affected is backward compatibility with orig ps2 and ps1 games. Plus the dvd's region code. But bluray is the same with jap, asia, and usa. Asian is the cheapest unit. Plus, it plays pirated dvd kasi most pirated dvd are region 3 hehehehe
ok thanks very much nukee, the most impt to me is the ps3 menu settings, instruction manual etc. is in english hehe..I have more R3 dvds so this is ok. Ps1 and 2 games I dont have so also a plus. But the problem I heard nga some say when it comes to internet play its all in japanese, so might have a hard time.  Il just check it out..Thanks very much

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: Aug 01, 2007 at 08:43 AM »
I just got my Ps3 last night, may I ask somebody how to do the audio..My connections are hdmi to tv and optical to my receiver. My receiver has no hdmi..There is no sound coming out of my receiver/speakers. I went to the settings of the ps3 and in audio settings I checked dolby and dts..the bottom two choices are checked lcm ata and cant be removed..When I check dolby and dts or either one it will not enter when I press the O button. I have to press X and it will cancel out. Pls help..Am I doing something wrong here or Is there something wrong with my Ps3.

Side note: My 360 addon and Pioneer dvd work just fine on these optical inputs in my receiver, I just plug it on and detect instantly..No more setting whatsoever..

Thanks

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: Aug 01, 2007 at 12:47 PM »
ok forget it, arrow forward/right lang pala from the screen, i keep pressing the O button hehe..

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: Aug 01, 2007 at 02:06 PM »
congrats on your new toy Moks007 :) dont forget to download the latest firmware :)

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: Aug 01, 2007 at 04:17 PM »
I just got my Ps3 last night,

Congrats Moks007!  :) If you still have cash (which is a longshot after buying a PS3 :P), consider getting the blu-ray remote as well. It's much better than using your Sixaxis controller to play movies. And it makes it easier for non-gaming people (e.g. my Dad) to watch Blu-ray movies too.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2007 at 04:18 PM by animated »