Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 368505 times)

Offline Macross

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #390 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 02:50 PM »
It's Official: Cheaper PS3 For Christmas
BLOG UNDER: (Press Releases, PlayStation 3, Sony, Gaming Tech, Technology, Game Finance, Killer Apps)
by shoeless on Saturday, 6th October 2007 @ 03:52:01 AM    

Sony Europe is the first to make the announcement, surprisingly, but now it's out there; there is a new 40GB, model of the PS3 hitting stores in time for Christmas, and the price is going to be a much easier to swallow €399, which means that a US$399 announcement can't be too far behind, putting the PS3 squarely at the level of an Xbox 360, but with a few caveats. 1) You're now looking at 2 USB ports instead of 4, 2) ZERO backwards compatibility.  It also looks like the multiple forms of card reading are gone, the chrome finish from the front has been removed and the "Playstation 3" on the front of the console may now be painted on, instead of slightly raised "bas relief" thing they had going with the older model.

For early adopters, this isn't that big a deal, since the older models--particularly the 60GB--had built in Emotion Engine hardware for very robust backwards compatibility.  Even the 80GB model released just a few months ago had somewhat less comprehensive backwards compatibility thanks to software emulation, but this one; sorry new PS3 owners, PS2s are pretty cheap now, and there's bound to be a new price cut, so if you still NEED to play Guitar Hero 1, GH2, GH80's, or previous Metal Gear and Final Fantasy games, you gotta' shell out for that PS2.  How is it possible that the new model can have no backwards compatibility when even the 80GB model relied on this? One going theory is that while the previous 80GB model had the "Emotion Engine" hardware removed, the other component of the PS2, the "Graphics Synthesizer" was still on board and so software emulation still relied on the presence of that older PS2 hardware.  It would make sense then that if even that component is removed, the current software emulation Sony is using would also be rendered useless.

As it is, Christmas just became a lot more interesting.  I'd previously made a prediction that Sony might do this if the Blu-Ray partners it was working with were willing to bring down the price of their standalone Blu-Ray players to keep things competitive with each other, and exactly that has been announced for Christmas.  Sony still doesn't quite have the same "AAA"-level title of a Halo 3 or a Wii Sports to really move the system this Christmas, but that lower price tag sure doesn't hurt.  In terms of the non-hardcore gamer-base, the PS3 just moved from the realm of "astronomically expensive console only for the extremely well off and rich" to "a possible purchase for the kids this Christmas because they've been very good this year."  What does this mean for Singapore gamers?  That's pretty hard to say, considering how wonky local distributors can be.  It's quite likely there will be some kind of price cut eventually, but since Singapore itself has NEVER seen a 20GB model, whether the 40GB model makes it to shores or Sony SEA decides to stick with the current 80GB model introduced in September remains to be seen.

http://www.gameaxis.com/home/?blog=1803

Offline blackd70s

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Animo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #391 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 06:39 PM »
they should lower the price of the movie discs as well! :D
[[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/blackd70s/EagleArc

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2395
« Reply #392 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 05:23 PM »
yup......no interruption in the actual updating of the firmware.......you will be warned beforehand......or your PS3 will be bricked.......use UPS as much as possible.    The downloading part can be interrupted, but not the actual update.   Scary isnt it?

Sir or anybody out there, May I ask what UPS you can recommend for me, kinda scary nga. Im thinking of getting the 1000watts so I can plug my tv and ps3 on it. Does brand matter you think. Kasi usually battery type diba those UPS. Will our unit get busted if the UPS nasira? Sorry for the idiot question. Im just making sure for my tv and Ps3 hehe..Thanks

Offline Trig

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #393 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 10:23 PM »
white 40 GB PS3 will be released in Japan on november 11 @ 40k Yen so thats around 15k pesos  ;D

Is it time to scratch the blu-ray itch? ::) 

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #394 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 06:36 AM »
Sir or anybody out there, May I ask what UPS you can recommend for me, kinda scary nga. Im thinking of getting the 1000watts so I can plug my tv and ps3 on it. Does brand matter you think. Kasi usually battery type diba those UPS. Will our unit get busted if the UPS nasira? Sorry for the idiot question. Im just making sure for my tv and Ps3 hehe..Thanks
I have just learned, no bricking when there is interruption in the actual update.  Here's the video, and it was discussed if forums too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G59Z0hvrN6I

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #395 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 07:07 AM »
white 40 GB PS3 will be released in Japan on november 11 @ 40k Yen so thats around 15k pesos  ;D

This one I've got to see. I have no plan in owning a PS3, but with this offer. I can change my mind.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #396 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 07:42 AM »
I have just learned, no bricking when there is interruption in the actual update.  Here's the video, and it was discussed if forums too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G59Z0hvrN6I

Ok sir thanks so much for this, feel a little better. Phew..at least dont need to get UPS na..Money saved..

Offline tux72

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #397 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 11:05 AM »
excuse me guys,, just a short question.. does any body knows here if I can use a PS3 unit here bought originally in Japan ? TIA.

Offline kieron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • SKT Digital
  • Liked:
« Reply #398 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 01:11 PM »
excuse me guys,, just a short question.. does any body knows here if I can use a PS3 unit here bought originally in Japan ? TIA.

yes sir, you can use a japan ps3 here in the philippines with no problem.

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Self Made Young Millionaire
  • Liked:
« Reply #399 on: Oct 13, 2007 at 12:33 PM »
I am planning to use my PS3 as a blu-ray player... Will this perform just like other stand alone BD players out there?

P.S- My PS3 is connected via a hdmi on my 32" HDTV, will there be a problem w/ it's sound? Im not a audiophile but of course, I want the best out of it since it's a blu-ray.  ;)

Thanks

Fait

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #400 on: Oct 13, 2007 at 02:55 PM »
I am planning to use my PS3 as a blu-ray player... Will this perform just like other stand alone BD players out there?

P.S- My PS3 is connected via a hdmi on my 32" HDTV, will there be a problem w/ it's sound? Im not a audiophile but of course, I want the best out of it since it's a blu-ray.  ;)

Thanks

Fait

BD playback is great, though only if you have the PS3 Blu-ray remote. Playing movies with the Sixaxis controller is clunky at best. Not sure about PQ and AQ compared to stand-alone players, never used one. You can change the audio output in the Settings of the PS3. I personally use the optical out on mine.

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #401 on: Oct 13, 2007 at 03:53 PM »

oops can it be a little earlier  ;) saan link yan puwede makita, will go to Japan end of this month although will be back before Nov 11  :(

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #402 on: Oct 13, 2007 at 08:15 PM »
BD playback is great, though only if you have the PS3 Blu-ray remote. Playing movies with the Sixaxis controller is clunky at best. Not sure about PQ and AQ compared to stand-alone players, never used one. You can change the audio output in the Settings of the PS3. I personally use the optical out on mine.
@animated:

What speakers are you using? Because right now? Err. Wish i have a home theater. :(

P.S. Thanks for your inputs chief. ;)

Fait

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #403 on: Oct 14, 2007 at 08:15 AM »
Found another remote that can be used for PS3 bluray watching.

It's a fairly new receiver since it was available last sept.25 only.  Retails at $29.99.  A bit more expensive than the Sony Bluetooth remote for PS3.

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #404 on: Oct 14, 2007 at 03:06 PM »
That's one hawt BD remote!

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #405 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 06:57 AM »
@animated:

What speakers are you using? Because right now? Err. Wish i have a home theater. :(

P.S. Thanks for your inputs chief. ;)

Fait

My dad has an old Bose speaker system setup connected to our Kenwood receiver. He bought the system in the early 90s and it still sounds pretty good, though aesthetically, they're HUGE compared to today's standards. Our newest speaker in the set is the VCS10 center channel when we upgraded to 6.1 surround.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007 at 06:58 AM by animated »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #406 on: Oct 18, 2007 at 05:22 PM »
It's Official: $399 PlayStation 3 to Hit US

Source

As widely expected, Sony has announced it will unleash a new $399 40GB PlayStation 3 for the US, setting a new low-price record for a Blu-ray playback device.

The move follows similar announcements by Sony in Japan and Europe over the last few weeks.

Although the PS3 is by far the best-selling high-def playback device on the market with 1.75 million units sold since its launch last November, those sales numbers pale in comparison to lower priced consoles from Microsoft and Nintendo.

The manufacturer is clearly hoping the lower price point will entice holiday shoppers to add the console to their Christmas lists. At $399, the PS3 is now within $50 of Microsoft's entry-level Xbox 360, and $100 of Nintendo's Wii.

Needless to say, a surge in PS3 sales could only help the Sony-backed Blu-ray format in its battle for high-def supremacy against rival format HD DVD. Even at current sales levels, the console has been widely attributed with propelling the Blu-ray format's disc sales turnaround over the last ten months.

The 40GB PS3 is expected to hit stores late this month, bundled with a Blu-ray copy of Sony's blockbuster 'Spider-Man 3' in the box.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #407 on: Oct 18, 2007 at 07:27 PM »
To me sony and the others pioneer, panasonic etc. should just come out with a 299 to 399 standalone players. Not these 399 ps3. Imagine bundling it with a bluray movie. This is suppose to be a game machine. It should be bundled lets say with Grand Turismo 5. A game talaga. We all know sony is just using this ps3 for their bluray strategy, which I think is really ridiculous.  Dapat talaga standalone, which will be nicer. I wonder what the others are saying like sila panasonic and pioneer where their players are sooo expensive pa rin. How will they make money when sony itself is screwing them with pricing..

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #408 on: Oct 19, 2007 at 07:11 AM »
Ano kaya ang aalisin nilang features dito sa $399 PS3 model?   

It can no longer play PS2 pala.
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2007 at 10:06 AM by barrid »

Offline Cosmo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #409 on: Oct 19, 2007 at 12:13 PM »

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #410 on: Oct 19, 2007 at 01:28 PM »
the ps3 80gb now sells for $499.00

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2822005

even if you use seafreight via JAC, it will still be cheaper if you buy this here in the Philippines..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline blackd70s

• DVD Guru
  • Animo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #411 on: Oct 20, 2007 at 11:52 PM »
sir morpheous,

cant seem to find the firmware update. would you mind leading me to it? got my unit at cardinal audio and i was told its the asian version. the fantastic 4 bd does not play right. im experiencing audio interuptions sounding similar like jumping cd's.

i actually saw one (http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates) but its the north america version and it warns you not to use it (This update is for customers who own PS3™ systems sold in North America. DO NOT update your PS3™ system through this Web site if you purchased your system outside North America. There is no guarantee of proper operation with other models sold outside North America.) if you have the asian or any other model.    

thanks!

also got the firmware upgrade thru the website provided here in the thread. 

downloaded it in the computer and saved it on a flash disc.  afterwhich I connected the flashdisk sa PS3 to upgrade the firmware.

hope this helps.  ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2007 at 12:00 AM by blackd70s »

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #412 on: Oct 21, 2007 at 06:29 AM »
if i may, here is the link for the asian ps3 firmware update:

http://asia.playstation.com/sg/ps3/ps3_softupdate.htm

Enjoy  :)

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #413 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 09:12 PM »
Patok sir skylynx888:D

this is the site that you should use to download the upgrade blackd70s:D

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #414 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 07:27 PM »
HELP!

My Sony Bluetooth Remote Controller is no longer working. Haven't used this in a while and I think I have upgraded the firmware at least two times since I last used the controller. Now, the PS3 cannot detect it after I tried to re-register it. I noticed that the Remote Control was getting a bit warm on the upper portion. Can anyone confirm if the Controller normally gets warm ?
Anyone else had a BT Controller go bad

>thanks

Offline blackd70s

• DVD Guru
  • Animo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #415 on: Oct 24, 2007 at 05:45 PM »
thanks much skylynx888! updated my ps3 alraedy!

if i may, here is the link for the asian ps3 firmware update:

http://asia.playstation.com/sg/ps3/ps3_softupdate.htm

Enjoy  :)

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #416 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 06:55 AM »
PS3 40G will be coming out soon. While 60G still at the same price with 80G. Would SONY pull out the 60G or sell it to much lower price? Hangin' on. This might be my chance to go neutral if the price is right. :D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #417 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 08:01 AM »
PS3 40G will be coming out soon. While 60G still at the same price with 80G. Would SONY pull out the 60G or sell it to much lower price? Hangin' on. This might be my chance to go neutral if the price is right. :D

The 60G model is already OOP and waiting to finish existing stocks. The newer 80G and 40G do not have the chip that allows it to play PS2 games. PS3 are already priced at 24K in g'hills.

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #418 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 11:08 AM »
Thanks, Chief! That killed my desire to get a PS3. ;D

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #419 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 03:54 PM »
Found another remote that can be used for PS3 bluray watching.

It's a fairly new receiver since it was available last sept.25 only.  Retails at $29.99.  A bit more expensive than the Sony Bluetooth remote for PS3.

wow. is this locally available? :)