Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 369372 times)

Offline darkwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #420 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 08:26 PM »
wow yup looks like a great remote, although i've gotten used to the sixaxis na lols  :D can't wait for my Ratatouilleeeeee

Offline ekisom

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #421 on: Nov 06, 2007 at 03:31 PM »
wow. is this locally available? :)

i seem to recall reading the review of this particular remote. and if my memory serves me right, the ordinary blu ray remote is still reviewed as being better, i think this sleek looking one isnt even blu-toot capable, only i.r. (besides the ordinary ps3 blu ray remote is only 1250 pesos sa data blitz). thats quite cheap narin...

hehehe, i love this HD fever. i only recently finished my setup and my my.. eye and ear candies abound. funny thing is the only DTS-HD lossless title i have is Devil Wears Prada and someone here who commented about HD audio was right, it sounded so clean and spotless.

i have been watching Last Samurai over and over and over for a total of 4 times... and i still cant get enough of it. switch muna to Pirates =P

My Setup nga pala  ;D

Samsung 46" FullHD 1080p
PS3 80gig HDMI connection (ppl should prolly know that the asian 80 gig version is dual region A and 3)
Marantz SR7001 receiver
Mordaunt-Short MS500 series THX 5.1 Surround Speakers
Lightspeed CLS305 Power/Line Conditioner

guys... where do you buy/source your HD movies?? blu-ray dvds

Offline ichibahn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #422 on: Nov 07, 2007 at 10:08 AM »
how the performance of your ps3 in playing bluray movies? i'm still contemplating on buying either the xbox360+hd-dvd dirve or the ps3. actually hindi naman ako gamer so i don't mind the type of games available on both consoles. pero syempre it's nice to have a game console pag for emergency :)

thanks

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #423 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 04:26 PM »
for me, when I compared my ps3 and samsung standalone blu-ray player, there was no difference at all in PQ. both sounded crisp and clean using optical out to my avr.

for first time buyers of blu-ray hardware, the ps3 will be hard to beat. i fact, some friends of mine even have dual ps3s at home since theyd rather use it for bd than get an expensive bd player.

now a player that plays both blu-ray and hddvd is something else.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007 at 04:28 PM by ctlim76 »

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #424 on: Nov 09, 2007 at 11:15 AM »
Firmware Ver. 2 update now available.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2007 at 11:46 AM by aeris30 »

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #425 on: Nov 09, 2007 at 01:53 PM »

LIKE THIS : http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/grope/hands+on-samsungs-bd+up5000-hybrid-hd-dvd-and-blu+ray-player-verdict-so-far-the-best-282569.php   ;D

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #426 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 01:02 PM »
The PS3 now plays SACD audio thru optical out after Ver. 2 update: 2 channel PCM & multi-channel converted to DTS :)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #427 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 06:30 PM »
can anybody tell me how do you play the DTS HD version of fantastic four on a ps3 via a Denon 4308?  THanks

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #428 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 08:15 PM »
can anybody tell me how do you play the DTS HD version of fantastic four on a ps3 via a Denon 4308?  THanks

Currently the PS3 can't decode or pass DTS HD audio and downconverts it to DTS "core" 1.5mbp/s.
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2007 at 08:20 PM by aeris30 »

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #429 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 06:55 PM »
thank you, i guess i really need the panasonic blu ray player.  sayang ang denon 4308 eh :)

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #430 on: Nov 14, 2007 at 11:21 PM »
for me, when I compared my ps3 and samsung standalone blu-ray player, there was no difference at all in PQ. both sounded crisp and clean using optical out to my avr.

for first time buyers of blu-ray hardware, the ps3 will be hard to beat. i fact, some friends of mine even have dual ps3s at home since theyd rather use it for bd than get an expensive bd player.

Am not a gamer as well, and I honestly obtained a PS3 given that per most of the forums it gives you the best value for your money with excellent PQ.  Of course you have to route your audio via optical but it still sounds great and sparkling to me.  Since I acquired my PSIII, got no qualms about the PQ nor AQ. The fan may be a tad noisy (it's practically a PC right?), compared to stand-alone players but with the price difference - I can set that aside.  :)

Dual PS3's at home, now that's an idea I've contemplated on.  You're right with the plunging prices of PS3 (and the new ones coming out), it is definitely a hard to beat BD player in terms of cost.  You won't need the big HDD space when you'll just use it for movies anyway ;)  It would surely be a great 2nd bluray player for another room.  :)

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #431 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 12:17 PM »
I signed-on to the PS Network awhile ago & was prompted for a system update: Firmware Ver. 2.01. I'm using a 60gb Asian PS3 with US PSN ID.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #432 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 12:36 PM »
I signed-on to the PS Network awhile ago & was prompted for a system update: Firmware Ver. 2.01. I'm using a 60gb Asian PS3 with US PSN ID.

Wow is that right? What were the posted enhancements and have you experienced 'em already?
TIA  :)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #433 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 01:06 PM »
Currently the PS3 can't decode or pass DTS HD audio and downconverts it to DTS "core" 1.5mbp/s.

Hopefully in future there will be a firmware upgrade that can make this happen?  :-X

I honestly obtained a PS3 given that per most of the forums it gives you the best value for your money with excellent PQ. 

Amen to that....Looking forward to join the PS3 bandwagon soon.... :)

Offline d-mark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • rock on
  • Liked:
« Reply #434 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 01:49 PM »
hi guys, where can i get a good deal ps3 unit?   

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #435 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 01:52 PM »
In Data Blitz, the newly arrived PS3 40Gb with a FREE Spiderman 3 Blu-ray costs P24,500.

There's a P1,000 discount  for cash purchase. Probably you can get a cheaper price at Virra Mall?

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #436 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 02:09 PM »

Can a receiver that is capable of decoding DTS HD audio, bypass PS3's inability to decode the DTS HD audio? (Malabo ba tanong ko?)   
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #437 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 02:50 PM »
It can't Jun, as the PS3 is incapable of outputting the DTS-HD audio in bitstream hence the receiver won't able to decode it.

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #438 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 03:16 PM »
So both player and receiver should be able to decode DTS HD audio before you can enjoy that audio format?
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline d-mark

• Collector
  • rock on
  • Liked:
« Reply #439 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 04:05 PM »
In Data Blitz, the newly arrived PS3 40Gb with a FREE Spiderman 3 Blu-ray costs P24,500.

There's a P1,000 discount  for cash purchase. Probably you can get a cheaper price at Virra Mall?
ok thanks 

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #440 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 04:31 PM »
So both player and receiver should be able to decode DTS HD audio before you can enjoy that audio format?

It's either your player or receiver should able to decode it. But in order for your receiver to decode it, your player must be able to send it out (in bitsream or "raw form") to the receiver (via HDMI 1.3).

Check out this thread. There's a full explanation on the various HD audio formats. :)

High-Def FAQ: Blu-ray and HD DVD Audio Explained
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=72087.0

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #441 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 04:34 PM »
It's either your player or receiver should able to decode it. But in order for your receiver to decode it, your player must be able to send it out (in bitsream or "raw form") to the receiver (via HDMI 1.3).

Check out this thread. There's a full explanation on the various HD audio formats. :)

I guess I have to get a player that can decode all HD audio format then...

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #442 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 04:47 PM »

bro quick clarification - are you saying that as long as one's using a PS3 as a bluray player, he will not get to enjoy glorious DTS HD, even if you have the top-of-the-line receivers that have HDMI INs?  What's the optimal audio set-up you can have with a PS3 BD player then?  TIA  :)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #443 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 05:48 PM »
I guess I have to get a player that can decode all HD audio format then...

Yup, this will be the perfect solution esp for those early adopters who had invested in their HDMI receivers which are not HDMI 1.3 & without all the latest HD audio decoders. If the player has onboard decorder for all the HD audio formats then they can still use their existing HDMI receivers. Unfortunately, currently there is no such player yet. *Some audiophiles will advocate the processing quality done by the receiver is better than the player....that is another story ;D

bro quick clarification - are you saying that as long as one's using a PS3 as a bluray player, he will not get to enjoy glorious DTS HD, even if you have the top-of-the-line receivers that have HDMI INs?  What's the optimal audio set-up you can have with a PS3 BD player then?  TIA  :)

At this point of time, there's no firmware for PS3 to be DTS-HD MA capable. Whether the PS3 is capable to achieve this feature tru firmware upgrading is still questionable. But that remains to be seen. Currently, the only lossless PS3 enjoy is decoding TrueHD internally & pass out as MPCM to your receiver via HDMI (any version). To get TrueHD to work you should have the PS3 set to PCM so the PS3 can decode the track (PS3 cannot bitstream lossles tracks yet). Also refer to aeris30's earlier posts. :)
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2007 at 07:42 PM by pchin »

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #444 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 02:31 AM »
Copy that.  Thanks for shedding some light on that topic buddy.  ;)

Online lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 209
« Reply #445 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 12:29 PM »
How is the PS3 upscaling of DVD's compared to the common upscaling DVD players from  Pioneer, Phillips and the like?  Gonna buy a PS3 kasi but have lots of orig DVD's. Am planning to get an Oppo for HD upscaling of the DVDs but I wonder if this is still necessary if one has the PS3?
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline Full HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #446 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 03:32 PM »
hi guys, where can i get a good deal ps3 unit?   
Just want to inform those who have relatives,friends in Hong Kong that i got my PS3 80g in Sham Shui Po for HKD3250 @ coversion rate of 5.65/1 HKD

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #447 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 03:44 PM »
hmm... i recently noticed some crackling and stuttering on my speakers with using the optical connection of my ps3 to the avr. doesnt happen though in hdmi. does that have anything to do with the fact that I used a p*****d dvd? will try again later using BD.

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #448 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 03:50 PM »
^ its possible, the lens might be having a tough time reading thats why you hear some crackling/stuttering

Offline d-mark

• Collector
  • rock on
  • Liked:
« Reply #449 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 04:24 PM »
Just want to inform those who have relatives,friends in Hong Kong that i got my PS3 80g in Sham Shui Po for HKD3250 @ coversion rate of 5.65/1 HKD
wow! Sobra mura ah.. Û