Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 368510 times)

Offline nukee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #540 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 08:20 PM »
if my tv has 1024x1080 is my tv still downscaling my 1080p to 720P when i play bluray or games?

Plus, this is the first time i've heard of ps3 lens broken after 8 months, most i've heard their's was broken within the next 3 weeks to 3 months and something as a defect that warranty replaces for free. But not as a worn out lens after hours of use? This is  alarming because i wouldn't want to replace my lens after 8 months. So far my ps3 is going strong after 10 months.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #541 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 10:10 PM »
if my tv has 1024x1080 is my tv still downscaling my 1080p to 720P when i play bluray or games?

Plus, this is the first time i've heard of ps3 lens broken after 8 months, most i've heard their's was broken within the next 3 weeks to 3 months and something as a defect that warranty replaces for free. But not as a worn out lens after hours of use? This is  alarming because i wouldn't want to replace my lens after 8 months. So far my ps3 is going strong after 10 months.

Cannot give an answer regarding that, since Full HD is supposed to be 1920 x 1080. My PS 3 is now 1 year old and no sign of falling apart.

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #542 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 10:18 PM »
Yup good to go provided you have a HDMI receiver that can handle PCM via HDMI cable. :)

Copy that, thanks Paul.  ;)  So via opticals won't hack it right? Hmmm, need to upgrade my non-HDMI AVR then before I can take advantage of this upcoming PS3 firmware fix...   :-\

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #543 on: Dec 12, 2007 at 01:15 AM »
Copy that, thanks Paul.  ;)  So via opticals won't hack it right? Hmmm, need to upgrade my non-HDMI AVR then before I can take advantage of this upcoming PS3 firmware fix...   :-\

Bro,

Patience is a VIRTUE. Just wait for all the Brands to release their stuff then choose the best one for your budget. I am a YAMMY user and is eagerly awaiting to demo the RXV-1800! The Onkyo looks good too, but better compare these two before biting the bullet. ;D
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #544 on: Dec 12, 2007 at 01:21 AM »
hehe... true.  words of wisdom indeed. well ok, sabay tayo on the next gen hdmi avr's okay?  ;D
tulog ka na bro  ;)

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #545 on: Dec 12, 2007 at 12:37 PM »
the ps3 can decode DD truhd and output it as pcm

PS3' HDMI Outputs lossless Audio on Blu Ray Movies, ryt?
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #546 on: Dec 12, 2007 at 11:04 PM »
PS3' HDMI Outputs lossless Audio on Blu Ray Movies, ryt?

simple answer is yes.

as long as the bluray movie has  dolby hd or dts hd, your ps3's output will be lossless unless you force it output in a "weaker" format or bit rate.

this applies to both bit stream and PCM.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #547 on: Dec 13, 2007 at 07:43 AM »
simple answer is yes.

as long as the bluray movie has  dolby hd or dts hd, your ps3's output will be lossless unless you force it output in a "weaker" format or bit rate.

this applies to both bit stream and PCM.

I stand corrected...

the ps3 can decode DD truhd and output it as pcm

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #548 on: Dec 13, 2007 at 10:20 AM »
I stand corrected...

Kaya nalito ako eh. he he he
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #549 on: Dec 13, 2007 at 11:26 AM »

on a technicality, yes it is downscaling. Its not really, too bad. I presume your using the hitachi plasma here.

for the ps3, its best to output 1080p and send it to the plasma and let the panel do its own downscaling.

if your playing game that is 720p(for some weird reason) then output it as 720p..

basicaly, as much as possible send the native/unmodified source to your plasma and let it handle the conversion. *applies only to your plasma model.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #550 on: Dec 13, 2007 at 10:28 PM »

PS3 is getting DivX; PS3 is Getting Better

Good news, DivX fans! DivX has announced today that they are currently testing the PlayStation 3 before adding their final certified stamp of approval to the device. While we'd seen rumors last week, now it's confirmed that DivX is coming to the PlayStation 3.

Details are scant, but interested PS3 owners will first have to upgrade to the recently released firmware 2.00 before downloading the still unreleased DivX decoder itself. DivX gets a major bump in living room support, while Sony continues to blur the lines of entertainment console and multimedia PC. Once again, we wonder why Sony didn't do this sooner. But once again, we're happy nonetheless.

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #551 on: Dec 13, 2007 at 11:16 PM »
holy cow that's great news! mkv support and bit torrent client na lang kulang ng ps3 pwede na talagang pang htpc! ;D

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #552 on: Dec 14, 2007 at 12:54 AM »

PS3 is getting DivX; PS3 is Getting Better

Good news, DivX fans! DivX has announced today that they are currently testing the PlayStation 3 before adding their final certified stamp of approval to the device. While we'd seen rumors last week, now it's confirmed that DivX is coming to the PlayStation 3.

Details are scant, but interested PS3 owners will first have to upgrade to the recently released firmware 2.00 before downloading the still unreleased DivX decoder itself. DivX gets a major bump in living room support, while Sony continues to blur the lines of entertainment console and multimedia PC. Once again, we wonder why Sony didn't do this sooner. But once again, we're happy nonetheless.

Lupet!  ;)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #553 on: Dec 14, 2007 at 05:03 PM »
Another welcoming news to the PS3 community.  ;)

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
PS3 to be DiVx & Profile 1.1/Bonus View enabled with v2.1 firmware
« Reply #554 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 12:17 AM »
http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=114731

This should be another sign that the PS3 is the best BD player out there, the possibilities are endless :D :D
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2007 at 12:20 AM by krazy »

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #555 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 06:26 AM »
2.1 due to tomorrow ;D

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #556 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 11:15 AM »
cant wait for the update... isang tulog nalang...

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #557 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 11:52 AM »
Firmware 2.1 update now available for download on your console when you sign in to PSNetwork :)

Offline d-mark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • rock on
  • Liked:
« Reply #558 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 12:02 PM »
is it true kasama na dto ang profile 1.1? Wow

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #559 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 01:07 PM »
sana dumating na ang murang PS3 dito sa 'pinas. Parang gusto ko na rin maging format neutral. Hehe.

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #560 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 04:07 PM »
Firmware 2.1 update now available for download on your console when you sign in to PSNetwork :)

wala pa ba sa site? saan ba ulit ung link?

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #561 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 04:22 PM »
wala pa ba sa site? saan ba ulit ung link?
meron na.....heres the link for asian version PS3's http://asia.playstation.com/hk/ps3/eng/ps3_softupdate.htm#2

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #562 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 04:29 PM »
our wish that PS3's ability to output HD audio formats via bitstream might never come true.   most comments seem to say that its more of a hardware limitation, something that a firmware update cant fix.....so internal decoding of DTS-MA might be the last option....

Offline blackd70s

• DVD Guru
  • Animo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #563 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 07:11 PM »

bro marl!
did you update your ps3 already with the latest firmware? (http://asia.playstation.com/hk/ps3/eng/ps3_softupdate.htm#2) i reckon we both have non HDMI AVR so are there any advantage if one downloads it?

should i?

thanks!
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2007 at 07:12 PM by blackd70s »
[[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/blackd70s/EagleArc

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #564 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 08:15 PM »
Hmmm...No improvement in the blu ray department. Disappointing indeed. More to do with PS 3 gaming features...

The PLAYSTATION®3 system software version 2.01 (with 2.00) update includes the following:
New for 2.01: System stability during use of some PLAYSTATION®3 format software has been improved.
New for 2.01: System stability has been improved for some operations, including the use of the Internet browser and  (Information Board).

New for 2.01: System stability during output of upscaled PlayStation®2 format software images has been improved.*1
New for 2.01: Functionality of the [Remote Start] feature has been changed to prevent an unintentional remote start. *2

*1 Applies only to models that support playback of PlayStation®2 format software.

*2 If remote start via the Internet is enabled, the PS3™ system may turn on unintentionally, depending on the type of router in use. (In this case a remote play connection cannot be established.) To avoid unintentional power-up of the system, remote start via the Internet may be disabled automatically if a remote play connection is not established within a certain amount of time after the system is turned on.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2007 at 08:16 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline nukee

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #565 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 08:41 PM »
2.01 is differnt from 2.10 which is the new firmware. It supports divx movies now and is bd 1.1 already.

Offline blackd70s

• DVD Guru
  • Animo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #566 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 08:43 PM »

no need to upgrade at the moment then.... thanks sir mouldingo! :D
[[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/blackd70s/EagleArc

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #567 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 09:38 PM »
bro marl!
did you update your ps3 already with the latest firmware? (http://asia.playstation.com/hk/ps3/eng/ps3_softupdate.htm#2) i reckon we both have non HDMI AVR so are there any advantage if one downloads it?

should i?

thanks!

hi bro, haven't uploaded 2.10. but eager to try it given that it would enable divX and bd 1.1 support.  ;)  Per the headlines:

"We finally get Blu-ray Profile 1.1, otherwise known as the "final standard profile." Among other things, it means that picture-in-picture will now work on PS3 Blu-ray.

...DivX will be supported as well...with three caveats. Files cannot be over 2GB, files with copyright-protection and files made from DivX 3.11 or earlier cannot be played. Oh, and the biggie: no XviD support yet...unlike the Xbox 360."

News HERE.
Asia PS3 Download site HERE.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2007 at 09:49 PM by Marl_1 »

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #568 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 09:55 PM »
Here are some initial test results of the DivX playback:

CLICK LINK BELOW>
PS3 DivX Playback Tested

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2007 at 09:57 PM by Marl_1 »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #569 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 10:05 PM »
just updated mine to 2.10, ill try to play some divx files tomorrow....