Author Topic: Newbie and Not-so Noob Thread: Questions (FAQ) on Setting up  (Read 111163 times)

Offline littlebadboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • www.motorcycleasia.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Newbie Questions ( FAQ )
« Reply #90 on: Oct 11, 2003 at 11:20 PM »
I'm a musician but I don't know much about audio equipment.  I have a 4-track digital recorder which i use whenever a tune comes in mind.  I listen to playback of what I recorded via headphones.  I want to connect my recorder to an amplifier so I can hear what it really sounds like off the headphones.

If I'm on a budget (coz I am just a music hobbyist), what good and cheap stuff (amps and speakers) should I get?  Are those surplus amps mentioned at the other threads good enough for me?  I'm just going to listen to them in my room.  However, I want to listen to my recorded stuff exactly like the way I recorded them so ifI reproduce them, it will sound exactly the way I intended them to be at different sound systems.

thanks in advance!

rtsy

« Reply #91 on: Oct 13, 2003 at 10:20 AM »
If I'm on a budget (coz I am just a music hobbyist), what good and cheap stuff (amps and speakers) should I get?

What's your budget exactly?

May ways to go about your needs.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, get in touch with ArnoldC for the PhP11k 2A3 Single Ended Triode power amp.  Mate that with the ~PhP15k Fostex BS speakers from vintage_dog and you're likely set to forego significant upgrades for years.

Also visit Hyperaudio and Sensible Audio in Makati Cinema square for used stuff.

Make sure you listen before you buy.  The stuff I've mentioned sound very different from each other so you'd have to find what moves you.

Good luck.

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Oct 13, 2003 at 11:33 AM »
It can be pretty amazing what a 2.0 sytem can achieve.

This is a point of view that I enthusiastically support, though with a slight twist. What I agree with is the importance of the two front (left and right) speakers. I would (and did) invest in these first, and not be in a hurry to complete a 5.1 setup.

The slight twist is that you need not stop at stereo. You can always add channels later on as funds allow. And if you've planned well, the other channels will be tonally matched. In other words, envision a 5.1 setup you like (but which costs more than your current budget), then assemble it in segments as your budget catches up.

Another advantage of this route is that your system will also be useful for 2-channel music. So if you're lucky you would not need separate systems (and rooms) for audio and video.

Now that I have 5 speakers, it's amazing to discover how many DVDs sound better through their stereo tracks rather than through their 5.1 tracks.
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2003 at 02:27 PM by slowhand »

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Oct 13, 2003 at 02:25 PM »

Now that I have 5 speakers, it's amazing to discover how many DVDs sound better through their stereo tracks rather than through their 5.1 tracks.

he he  he , reminds me of a quote "what use is reaching the top of the ladder of success only to find it leaning against the wrong wall"

i myself completed a 5.1 set-up only to sell it off to go 2 channel  ;D
money is best spent

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Oct 13, 2003 at 02:38 PM »
A lot depends on getting the right gears and speakers and their placements and room acccoustics, etc.  to arrive at a set-up that is truly involving.  

After hearing multi-channel DVD-A,  I cen see the promise of high-resolution music in multi-channel format.  I think one has to put the same passion for 5.1, the way he does for 2-channel stereo to  fully appreciate what the new format can do.

rtsy

« Reply #95 on: Oct 13, 2003 at 05:16 PM »
I think one has to put the same passion for 5.1, the way he does for 2-channel stereo to  fully appreciate what the new format can do.

Amen, av-phile.  Now, if I can only find $$$ to also do multi-channel right.  :D

Offline wakanga

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • VROOOMMMMMMM
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Oct 14, 2003 at 02:43 PM »
guys give me feedback about this article thanks

http://www.lalena.com/audio/faq/theater/

Offline indridcold

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Oct 16, 2003 at 04:17 PM »
Basic but still informative. Speakers from the same manuf should also be timbre matched. I think this should be one of the major considerations.

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Oct 17, 2003 at 07:27 PM »
Now, if I can only find $$$ to also do multi-channel right.  :D

You mean, like this guy has done?  ;D

Offline joan2

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Oct 20, 2003 at 07:35 AM »
if i am not mistaken, that is an infinity speaker setup costing around 72,000 us dollars!!!!

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Oct 20, 2003 at 10:10 AM »
Yup, the legendary IRS, no less. He's also taken an IRS Gamma panel and laid it on its side as a center; that speaker pair cost "only" $14,000+.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2003 at 09:45 AM by slowhand »

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Oct 24, 2003 at 11:02 AM »
I don't think one has to spend so much like in the above to make multi-channel sound as good or better than a passioantely installed 2 channel set-up.  Maybe just put a couple of REL storm subs for front and back and Sonus Faber Concertos all around.  You don't even need a center speaker or channel as phantoming will often do a better job.  But if you do, get another Sonus Faber Concertino pair for the center.  With this set-up you may need the  Outlaw Audio ICBM for bass management when playing SACD & DVD-A.

Alternatively, get 4 outstanding full range floorstanders from Klipsch, Quad, KEF, Tanoy, SF or B&W or some other well-known brand in the $3-4,000/pair price points.

Then get any 4 or 5 monoblock tube or SS power amps connected to even a pre-owned Rotel, Arcam, NAD, Parasound, Krell, Sunfire or Lexicon multi-channel SS preamp.  Then get a good universal player from great brands like Proceed or Meridian, if they produce one.  I don't think they altogether will cost more than $30T, give or take another $5T.  A far cry from the $100T+ set-up in the above.

But this doesn't mean you can't get an involving multi-channel system at even a fraction of that.  Many who would now enjoy a Harman+wharf or mission 2-channel set-up will benefit from just additng another pair of speakers from the same brand, assuming the receiver is already multi-channel.   Passion does not always equate to $$$, though they help a lot.  It just requires some degree of determined planning to arrive at the system you like.  But firstly, it is important that he must be convinced multi-channel is the way to go.  The rest will follow.

Just my musings.

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2003 at 11:15 AM by av_phile »

Offline SOLITUDE

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 06:23 AM »
hi there!  like most of the people who posted here with queries, i am also a newbie trying to figure out what entry-level ht set-up would do for my 12 sq. m. room.

i have gone around some shops, and here are my choices:

tv:  29" Sony kv-dr29m61 drc-mf (already bought)  =)

rcvr:  
onkyo tx-sr501 6.1 115w/ch 6 ohms 0.08% thd @ 19k
denon avr-1604 6.1 75-110w/ch 6-8ohms 0.08%thd @20k
yamaha rx-v440 6.1 95w/ch 6 ohms 0.06%thd @18k

spkr:
mordaunt-short premiere series 15-80w rms 4-8ohms 86db 100-20khz satellite spkrs, 15-80w rms 4-8ohms 86db 100-20khz center spkr, 35-150hz 80w rms active downfire sub @ 20k

energy take 5+1 series 15-100w rms 8ohms 89db satellite spkrs, 15-100w rms 8ohms 89db center spkr, 29-100hz 100w active frontfire sub @ 34k

bose acoustimass 6 series 10 - 150w rms/ch 4-8ohms @ 26k

jbl scs178 10-100w rms 8ohms 86db 35-20khz satellite spkrs, 10-100w rms 8ohms 86db 35-20khz center spkr, 100w active downfire sub @ 25k

i am leaning more towards the onkyo-mordaunt-short combination.  can you give me your opinions and inputs?  would u recommend another rcvr/spkr system under the budget and along the same specs?

thank you in advance!  =)

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 11:31 AM »
i am leaning more towards the onkyo-mordaunt-short combination.  can you give me your opinions and inputs?  would u recommend another rcvr/spkr system under the budget and along the same specs?

I am using an Onkyo Integra (main amp only) receiver to drive Mordaunt-Shorts Declaration Series MS914 floorstanders.  Am pretty impressed with the sound at normal listening levels.  Very detailed with excellent attack.  Bass is tight and can be overwhelming.  Am not so sure of the Premiere series, though i understand they are THX certified and has won some awards.  

But whichever speakers you choose, don't get any BOSE accoustimass.  here's why: (no offense meant to BOSE users.)

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Just my 2 cents.  
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2003 at 11:33 AM by av_phile »

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 11:48 AM »
hi there!  like most of the people who posted here with queries, i am also a newbie trying to figure out what entry-level ht set-up would do for my 12 sq. m. room.

i have gone around some shops, and here are my choices:

tv:  29" Sony kv-dr29m61 drc-mf (already bought)  =)

rcvr:  
onkyo tx-sr501 6.1 115w/ch 6 ohms 0.08% thd @ 19k
denon avr-1604 6.1 75-110w/ch 6-8ohms 0.08%thd @20k
yamaha rx-v440 6.1 95w/ch 6 ohms 0.06%thd @18k

spkr:
mordaunt-short premiere series 15-80w rms 4-8ohms 86db 100-20khz satellite spkrs, 15-80w rms 4-8ohms 86db 100-20khz center spkr, 35-150hz 80w rms active downfire sub @ 20k

energy take 5+1 series 15-100w rms 8ohms 89db satellite spkrs, 15-100w rms 8ohms 89db center spkr, 29-100hz 100w active frontfire sub @ 34k

bose acoustimass 6 series 10 - 150w rms/ch 4-8ohms @ 26k

jbl scs178 10-100w rms 8ohms 86db 35-20khz satellite spkrs, 10-100w rms 8ohms 86db 35-20khz center spkr, 100w active downfire sub @ 25k

IMHO, I will go for Denon or Onkyo then use Monitor Audio or Mission speakers.  Among your choices, I will go for JBL or Energy. You could check the Bose thread for more details.  Bose Speakers

Offline SOLITUDE

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 10:35 PM »
Wow!  Never expected to have a reply from a moderator.  Thanks levi and av_phile!

Know what guys, I can spend a whole day just reading thru all the threads here in pinoydvd.  I am learning quite a lot about ht stuff.  I think I may have been bitten by the ht bug.  hehe.

Anyway, it seems that there is a lot of following here for the harman/kardon - monitor audio combination.  Is it really that good?

Btw, I know that there is also quite a following here for the onkyo-mordaunt/short combo, how would you compare it with the hk-ma combo in terms of price and quality of sound?  This question goes to everyone.

Thanks!

Offline z

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Oct 30, 2003 at 10:45 PM »
hi aside having good cables and speakers for audio setup.  is it advisable to take off the cover of the speaker to improve sound quality? not so familiar with this thing eh. thanks :)

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Oct 31, 2003 at 08:47 AM »
hi aside having good cables and speakers for audio setup.  is it advisable to take off the cover of the speaker to improve sound quality? not so familiar with this thing eh. thanks :)
In general, yes.  There are some brands whose covers absorb high frequencies.  For serious extended  listening, whether the cloth coves are transparent or not, I always remove the speaker covers.

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Oct 31, 2003 at 08:49 AM »
Anyway, it seems that there is a lot of following here for the harman/kardon - monitor audio combination.  Is it really that good?

Btw, I know that there is also quite a following here for the onkyo-mordaunt/short combo, how would you compare it with the hk-ma combo in terms of price and quality of sound?  This question goes to everyone.

Thanks!

You'll get different recommendations. What  is OK for one may not be so to another.  This is more subjective and personal than anything.  Suggest you visit some AV shops and audition them and hear the difference for yourself, if any.

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #109 on: Oct 31, 2003 at 09:43 AM »
You'll get different recommendations. What  is OK for one may not be so to another.  This is more subjective and personal than anything.  Suggest you visit some AV shops and audition them and hear the difference for yourself, if any.

i agree... ;D audition is the best way to find out (consider also the music place, cables and sources)...

Offline z

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Oct 31, 2003 at 08:43 PM »
av_phile,

thanks for the advise i'll try to experiment that on my speaker :)

z

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Nov 05, 2003 at 08:55 AM »
Z,

Mas pronouce yun sound especially the high frequency if you remove the cover when listening.. same with vocals.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Nov 05, 2003 at 09:02 AM »
solitude,

Regards to HK/MA combo for us (owners) "da best" ito but its not necessary sir na ok sa iba. 8) ::) auditioning is the key + budget, buy the best sounding paired secondary na yun features whether pre-owned or bNew..  :D :D

Happy auditioning!! ;) :)

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Before you see the light, you must die!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Nov 19, 2003 at 12:56 PM »
Hey guys... some more dummy-newbie questions here:

1. pag sinabing ang av receiver ay 100 watts, ibig sabihin nun per channel 100 watts sya di ba? hindi 100watts total of all channels?

2. ano ba ang tamang impedance rating ng mga speakers? 8 ba or 6 or 4?

3. ano ang ibig sabihin ng Kevlar Cone? At bakit maganda ito (or maganda nga ba)?
Picture quality over plot

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Nov 19, 2003 at 01:06 PM »
Hey guys... some more dummy-newbie questions here:

1. pag sinabing ang av receiver ay 100 watts, ibig sabihin nun per channel 100 watts sya di ba? hindi 100watts total of all channels?

2. ano ba ang tamang impedance rating ng mga speakers? 8 ba or 6 or 4?

3. ano ang ibig sabihin ng Kevlar Cone? At bakit maganda ito (or maganda nga ba)?

Stereo  or multi-channel amps are rated on a per channel basis.  If you encounter a power spec that is silent on this, most likely it's total for all channels, unless it's a mono amp.

There are no right or wrong impedances.  It's a matter of matching the amp with the speaker in this regard.

Kevlar is lighter and more rigid than most synthetic materials used as speaker cones.  And it's virtulaly non-resonant.  These are desireable traits in spekaer cones.  Whether they are superior or not  depends on the overall design of a speaker that takes other factors into the equation.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2003 at 01:08 PM by av_phile »

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Nov 19, 2003 at 01:35 PM »
thanks av_phile! follow-up dummy questions:

1. meron bang sub na kevlar cone ang gamit? teka, may cone ba ang subs? sa totoo lang hindi ko alam kung ano yung cone na tinutukoy nyo pero hayaan nyo na

2. what does "bottom-out" mean in terms of subs?

3. meron akong nakitang subs na may butas (port yata ang tawag dun) at merong wala. ano ang mas maganda?

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Nov 19, 2003 at 03:51 PM »
1. meron bang sub na kevlar cone ang gamit? teka, may cone ba ang subs? sa totoo lang hindi ko alam kung ano yung cone na tinutukoy nyo pero hayaan nyo na

Am not that familar with subs using kevlar cones.  FYI, cones are the conical or domed surfaces in drivers.  The term is used rather than diaphram.

2. what does "bottom-out" mean in terms of subs?

The expression means the speaker has reached it frequency response buttom limit or lowest

3. meron akong nakitang subs na may butas (port yata ang tawag dun) at merong wala. ano ang mas maganda?
Ported speaker or sub enclosures give off more bass as the port acts like another driver that reinforces the main driver.  Efficiency is almost doubled.  They are preferred for Home theater but frowned at when it comes to  music.

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Nov 19, 2003 at 04:08 PM »
thanks dude. you're a big help

Offline T-850

• DVD Addict
  • you are TERMINATED!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Nov 25, 2003 at 11:48 AM »
hello guys,

im planning to get a subwoofer with a budget of 5K and below.

can someone please give me some tips on what i have to look for and what brands are better off with my budget?

also, i have no idea as to how subwoofers connect to HT, is it thru my receiver or does it interconnect with the speakers?! LOL!... u guys must really think im so innocent but yes i am new to subwoofers and i want to get one because i want some bass in my HT para complete..

please can someone tutor me.. a brief one cause thiis thread has way too much technical terms i can't quite catch up on..

I'll appreciate any help from the friendly pinoydvd members...      

Offline silvreforge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Nov 25, 2003 at 11:53 AM »
Hello, I own a DynQuest DQ-12 sub to go with my Yamaha RX-V630 receiver and Yamaha NS-7390 and NS-P60 center and surround speakers.  I am not sure what the difference between the volume and dB settings in the sub are.. can anyone enlighten me on this so i can optimize my sub settings?

btw i don't have an SPL meter so i wouldn't know how to "equalize" it objectively. using my receiver's test tone generator isnt much help kasi i cant tell if the sound in the sub is equal to the sound generated in my speakers.