Author Topic: Recommend a Speaker  (Read 367934 times)

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recommend a Speaker
« Reply #1110 on: Jun 22, 2009 at 02:49 PM »
okay, thank goodness space isnt a problem in my room. it's crowded enough already so i dont care  ;D Hmm, im thinking lang, madami kasi discounted stuff, like mga stores in shangri-la. There's a focal floorstanding pair there, i forgot the price na pero it's  50% off!!!! maybe you could recommend speakers that are on sale right now? :)

OT question.. sa car kasi pwede lagyan hpf yung midbass, how do you do this for home audio/theatre? sa receiver? or sa passive crossover na mismo ng speaker set? :)

Not really familiar with Focal speakers. You should personally give them an audition and decide for yourself. I personally auditioned Wharfedales and Infinity's, and the latter came out very much ahead (but there's also a big difference in price). I opted to get my Infinity set from the US because I wanted black grills instead of the normally available silver ones.

As for the HPF question, I'm not sure if there are any receivers that support this.

Offline CeeV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #1111 on: Jun 22, 2009 at 04:41 PM »
Bro..I suggest test mo A&B comparo tapos much better kung un same Amp mo...

Just did ...and am hell bent on getting the MA Br5 but after the actual demo..nabago na ang decision ko..

Give the Paradigm Monitor7 ver.6.0 a listen and decide. ;) nd din nagkakalayo ang price range nya.
Tama lahat sabi nila..your ears will really tell you kahit pa anong review mabasa and personal recommendation..decide on your budget and test mo un nsa price range ng budget mo..its a loong process pero in the end nakuha mo un best sa budget and tenga mo.

Offline tein

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sound and Vision Home Entertainment 0917-5160808
  • Liked:
« Reply #1112 on: Jun 30, 2009 at 03:38 PM »
hi guys ive been reading here for a time, medyo matagal na ako sa HTPC but my sound system is logitech z5500 with monster wires. sad to say nasira ito 1 week ago because of bagyo yun patay bukas ang kuryente sa bahay and tapos na ang warranty period nung speakers wala din ata mag rerepair, so i will be switching to the real thing, nag research ako muna from receivers and eyeing for some onkyos and yamahas on 20k+ budget. i also found some old speakers from my dads HT setup, some polk audio rm series II, polk audio M series rear, and a psw 100 sub, are these any good padin to pair with the new receivers? medyo may kalumaan nadin kasi.. if not, might want to audition those wharf din sana.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #1113 on: Jun 30, 2009 at 05:24 PM »
okay, thank goodness space isnt a problem in my room. it's crowded enough already so i dont care  ;D Hmm, im thinking lang, madami kasi discounted stuff, like mga stores in shangri-la. There's a focal floorstanding pair there, i forgot the price na pero it's  50% off!!!! maybe you could recommend speakers that are on sale right now? :)

OT question.. sa car kasi pwede lagyan hpf yung midbass, how do you do this for home audio/theatre? sa receiver? or sa passive crossover na mismo ng speaker set? :)

May HPF/LPF ang most receivers bro. Yung iba selectable yung crossover frequency, yung iba naman simple speaker size setting lang. 

Maganda yung Focal speakers, very detailed. Kausapin mo na lang si Mr. Dy for an audition. :)

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1114 on: Jul 01, 2009 at 09:35 AM »
hi guys ive been reading here for a time, medyo matagal na ako sa HTPC but my sound system is logitech z5500 with monster wires. sad to say nasira ito 1 week ago because of bagyo yun patay bukas ang kuryente sa bahay and tapos na ang warranty period nung speakers wala din ata mag rerepair, so i will be switching to the real thing, nag research ako muna from receivers and eyeing for some onkyos and yamahas on 20k+ budget. i also found some old speakers from my dads HT setup, some polk audio rm series II, polk audio M series rear, and a psw 100 sub, are these any good padin to pair with the new receivers? medyo may kalumaan nadin kasi.. if not, might want to audition those wharf din sana.

Ok lang yung mga speakers na yun. As long as they sound good to you, nothing else matters. :)

Offline tein

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1115 on: Jul 01, 2009 at 05:13 PM »
ok thanks guys again.. pag nabuo ko na tong ht prject ko dahan dahan pag hindi ako na satisfy sa old polk ko im looking forward to try those wharfedales diamonds

Offline ghomer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1116 on: Jul 02, 2009 at 01:31 PM »
guyz newbie lang ko dito.. just wanna ask lang sana ragarding kung ano mas malakas, 2pcs 12" subs 350 watts or 1pc 15" sub 350 watts 1400 watts peak??? so bale 350+350=700 watts for 2pcs 12".. anu kaya mas malakas bumayao for indoor and outdoor??? not tipong cocompare sa PA mobile ha.. tnx..

Offline ton2v

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1117 on: Jul 06, 2009 at 05:45 PM »
Hi

Can somebody recommend me floorstander speakers.  I was planning to get the mission MV-8 (already bought an MV-C to pair with this) but somehow I have opened up my options again.  I am quite new on all these things and would appreciate some suggestions.  Following are some of my choices (pending demo in sns)

1.  Mission M34i or M33i
2.  Polk tsi400 or tsi300
3.  Klipsch F2 or F1
4.  Paradigm Titan

Rooms is around 18-20sqm
Current set-up:
Bose 901 series3
MV-C
Wharfedale 9dfs
Denon 1909

Thanks in advance

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1118 on: Jul 06, 2009 at 05:53 PM »
I was planning to get the mission MV-8 (already bought an MV-C to pair with this) but somehow I have opened up my options again.

You might have to sell off the MV-C if you're going with another brand because it might not match (depending on your ears).

May I suggest the Infinity Primus P362.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #1119 on: Jul 07, 2009 at 04:52 PM »
Hi

Can somebody recommend me floorstander speakers.  I was planning to get the mission MV-8 (already bought an MV-C to pair with this) but somehow I have opened up my options again.  I am quite new on all these things and would appreciate some suggestions.  Following are some of my choices (pending demo in sns)

1.  Mission M34i or M33i
2.  Polk tsi400 or tsi300
3.  Klipsch F2 or F1
4.  Paradigm Titan

Rooms is around 18-20sqm
Current set-up:
Bose 901 series3
MV-C
Wharfedale 9dfs
Denon 1909

Thanks in advance

Go for the TSi series. Check out a review done by a member of the Pinoy DVD community of floorstanding speakers back in May. The Polk Audio TSi series came out on top:

It was a boring afternoon at the office. Tumakas ako to go to parksquare and gb1 to audition the speakers. Luckily, trimmed down na ang choices ko.

During the audition, I chose one of my favorite concert cd’s. Because I used to play in a band, I am very familiar with the sound of the musical instruments when played live. Anyway the sound that I was looking for is the overall quality of the reverb, full-bodied toms and snare, tight bass drums, airy female vocals, crisp sibilance, detailed hi hats, loud crash cymbals, and defined based notes. Anyway these are my amateur observations based on my preference:

1.   Diamond 9.5 matched with HK 245
Low – 9 (great bass notes tight bass drums)
Mid – 8 (smooth)
High – 8 (subdued)

The overall sound of the wharfedale’s are good. The base notes sound detailed and raw (in a jazzy way). It stands out without really affecting the overall music. The mids and highs really created a perfect combination that resulted in crisp and smooth vocals without being hissy. Nice reverbs as well. However, I would categorize the highs as subdued.  Because of this, the low-mid-high balance that I was looking for wasn’t really there.  The snare and toms sounded great but the hi hats (although smooth), was left behind by in the music.

2.   Aurum Cantus F6600 matched with HK245
Low – 7
Mid – 7
High – 6 (harsh)

I wasn’t able to appreciate the tonal characteristics of this speaker probably because it wasn’t fully broken in yet. However, I would consider the bass notes as “compressed” and not as deep as the wharfes. The hi’s were too harsh for my taste. The combination of the mids and hi’s was not as great as the wharfes. There was something lacking in the mid-high that resulted in a dark and hollow female voice compared to the crisp vocals that I head in the wharfes.

3.   MS Carnical 6 matched with Yamaharxv 563
Low – 8
Mid – 6 (distorted)
Hi – 6 (harsh)

The carnival 6 was too harsh for my taste.

4.   MS 904i matched with Azur 540i
Low – 6
Mid – 8 (forward)
Hi – 10 (detailed)

I actually appreciated the smoothness of the hi’s in this speaker. It wasn’t subdued like the wharfes’. It wasn’t harsh like the carnival 6 but rather detailed and controlled. The mid sounds “forward” and the female vocals sounded “airy” compared to the crisp vocals from the wharfes. The lows were nevermind. I’ll need a subwoofer for this floorstander. Overall, the 904i is more biased in the hi frequencies and did not meet my balanced requirement.

5.   Mission 33i matched with Onkyo sr506
Low – 7
Mid – 9
Hi – 9 (smooth)

This speaker is balanced and sounded dry. There weren’t so much reverb. I was honestly expecting something like the wharfes combined with the 904i because I read from the forums that the missions were detailed in their highs at the same time musical. Probably it had something to do with the Onkyo. I have yet to hear the m33i matched with a Harman kardon. Review to follow…

6.   Polk Audio TSI300 matched with Harman Kardon
Low – 8
Mid – 10 (airy vocals, excellent reverb)
Hi – 9 (smooth)

This speaker is in a league of its own. Great reverbs – it feels like you’re in the actual concert hall. The female vocals were “airy” and crisp at the same time. The lows were good and the bass notes were defined without being boomy. The snare/toms had the punch that I was expecting from a floor stander. The hi hats and cymbals were defined yet controlled. It is not as “forward sounding” as the ms 904i but the overall balance was great. If it wasn’t for the missions, I would have immediately chosen this. But I wouldn’t give up on the missions just yet.

So after everything, here are my revised options:

1.   Polk Audio TSI300 paired w/ Harman Kardon
2.   Mission 33i paired with Harman kardon (I have yet to hear this)
3.   Wharfedale 9.1 enhanced by A-Audio (w/ SW150 Sub) paired with Harman Kardon

Offline rolly

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1120 on: Jul 11, 2009 at 03:33 PM »
sirs, any prices of the above mentioned speakers? for 5.1 set up. thanks...

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1121 on: Jul 11, 2009 at 05:23 PM »
sirs, any prices of the above mentioned speakers? for 5.1 set up. thanks...

Would depend on whether you're gonna use floorstanders or bookshelves for your front.

Offline Sanjay

• DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #1122 on: Jul 11, 2009 at 11:36 PM »
Would depend on whether you're gonna use floorstanders or bookshelves for your front.

For a good entry level audiophile system I recommend the following Polk Audio speakers:

- TSi300 floorstanding
- CS10 center
- TSi100 bookshelf
- PSW110 - 10 inch sub

This is a great sounding system for both movies and music. The total cost is a little more then P50,000.

Offline rolly

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1123 on: Jul 12, 2009 at 10:59 AM »
in the price range of polk TS series, (floor for fronts), what other comparable units are available? thanks. 

Offline rolly

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1124 on: Jul 12, 2009 at 11:04 AM »
btw, will be using them for my existing HK130.... thanks for any suggestions...

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1125 on: Jul 13, 2009 at 03:23 PM »
in the price range of polk TS series, (floor for fronts), what other comparable units are available? thanks. 

Infinity, JBL, Wharfedale and Mission.

I think avshop carries the first three brands I've mentioned.

Offline rolly

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1126 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 12:16 AM »
sir avshop, if you carry those brands, please pm me the individual speaker model & prices...

thanks sir blued. ;D

Offline insomnia

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1127 on: Jul 26, 2009 at 11:19 PM »
hello, im planning to change my  ht system and go mid level.  I'm looking at focal, kef or b & w.  I'm thinking of upgrading my onkyo to marantz 8003 and ps3 to oppo bd 83.  as for my speakers, i'm still undecided.  but my wife wants it to have a black piano finish so it will go well with the interiors :) The system is used 80% for movies and 20% for music.  any suggestions about the speakers will be greatly appreciated.  thanks.
i don't suffer fools gladly

Offline turbine

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1128 on: Jul 30, 2009 at 05:00 PM »
Sir,

how much kaya yung Polk Audio Tsi300?

thank you.

Offline ton2v

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1129 on: Jul 30, 2009 at 05:22 PM »
Sir,

thank you.

I think around 15k - 17k

Offline Sanjay

• DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #1130 on: Jul 30, 2009 at 08:14 PM »
Sir,

thank you.

The Polk Audio TSi300 is P19,990 a pair, but if you pay cash most of the stores will give you a discount.

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Suggestions of budget fronts (including center) for below 45k
« Reply #1131 on: Aug 02, 2009 at 10:08 PM »
Need help on suggestions on speakers for HT and audio use.  Budget for fronts and center is max of 45k (hopefully lower).  I'm more inclined to get floorstanders so that I don't need to buy stands.  Mas-sulit kasi ata ang FS.  But I'm open to bookshelves if they are of a better quality.

Did not include surrounds since I'll probably get surrounds not necessarily matching with the fronts.

Budget:

I'm assuming a center will cost around 10-15k.

If Floorstander: 20-30k.

If Bookshelf: 15-25k assuming the stand will cost around 5k. 

Speakers already under consideration:

MA BR2/BR5

Polk TSi 200/300/400

Polk RTi A3

Mission M34i

B&W 685

Hope to get some other suggestions.

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Suggestions of budget fronts (including center) for below 45k
« Reply #1132 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 11:03 AM »
Be aware that for movies, it is the center channel that carries the dialogue, so you have to have the 3 speakers in front timbre matched para hindi maiba yung tunog.  So, if you decide all Dyns for example, dapat Dyne din center mo. . .

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1133 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 11:21 AM »
Be aware that for movies, it is the center channel that carries the dialogue, so you have to have the 3 speakers in front timbre matched para hindi maiba yung tunog.  So, if you decide all Dyns for example, dapat Dyne din center mo. . .

Thanks.  That is one of the conditions as well. 

Offline Sanjay

• DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #1134 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 12:40 PM »
Need help on suggestions on speakers for HT and audio use.  Budget for fronts and center is max of 45k (hopefully lower).  I'm more inclined to get floorstanders so that I don't need to buy stands.  Mas-sulit kasi ata ang FS.  But I'm open to bookshelves if they are of a better quality.

Did not include surrounds since I'll probably get surrounds not necessarily matching with the fronts.

Budget:

I'm assuming a center will cost around 10-15k.

If Floorstander: 20-30k.

If Bookshelf: 15-25k assuming the stand will cost around 5k. 

Speakers already under consideration:

MA BR2/BR5

Polk TSi 200/300/400

Polk RTi A3

Mission M34i

B&W 685

Hope to get some other suggestions.

Why don't you consider the following Polk Audio speakers:

1) TSi 300 floorstanding plus CS10 center = less then P29,000
2) TSi400 floorstanding plus CS20 center = less then P43,000
3) RTi A7 floorstanding plus CSi A4 center = less then P63,000
4) RTi A3 bookshelf plus CSi A4 center = less then P33,000
5) RTi A1 bookshelf plus CSi A4 center = less then P28,000

These are the retail prices, however if you go to any of the stores that sell Polk Audio, I am sure that they can give you a better deal.

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #1135 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 01:44 PM »
You can get Infinity p362s floorstanders and C350 center for way less than 40K. I got mine from avshop last April and I am very satisfied with them.

Offline Sanjay

• DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #1136 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 02:25 PM »
You can get Infinity p362s floorstanders and C350 center for way less than 40K. I got mine from avshop last April and I am very satisfied with them.

AV Shop also carries the entire range of Polk Audio speakers.

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1137 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 04:30 PM »

Ditto, take a listen to these babies also. I had mine sourced from the US because I wanted the grills to be black.

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1138 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 11:39 PM »
Thanks for all your inputs so far.  Will welcome more suggestions.  

Am considering the Dynaudio 42 and 42c at the moment.  My only worry is how they'll sound with a midlevel AVR.  
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2009 at 11:40 PM by dips15 »

Offline tein

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1139 on: Aug 05, 2009 at 07:02 PM »
Guys would this be ok with a 5.1 setup?

front : Polk audio Tsi 200
Center : Wharfedale 9cs or polk audio cs10 or 20? lcd tv is 40"
Rear : Wharfedale 9dfs
Sub : classic polk audio psw100 ( will change din soon )

receiver to get might be the yammy 663. will polk sound good on yamaha's ba?