Author Topic: Recommend a Speaker  (Read 367036 times)

Online qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
Re: Recommend a Speaker
« Reply #1890 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 08:35 AM »
I ended up happy with my purchase.  ;)

For now......

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1891 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 08:53 AM »
So.. funnily enough, I ended up with something that wasn't on my list. A Paradigm Studio 20 v.5.

I really prefer this sound compared to my Audience 42 before. A lot more dynamic, and the midrange is so 'there'.

Congrats on your new purchase!

For now......

Yun lang. Madalas ang problem natin is, hanggang kailan ito magbibigay ng sonic nirvana sa atin.

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1892 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 09:20 AM »
papalit nanaman si sir francis matindi lately ang sickness nya hehehe....
Love me or hate me.....

Offline armymanhaha

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1893 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 09:26 AM »
Congrats sir Armymanhaha... !  :o on your New speakers....  ;D

can you tell us your comparison with those brands you mentioned in your earlier post. And the deciding factor that made you bought Paradigm aside from it's mid presence & crappy look when grills off...?  :D
 :)

I went auditioning with my girlfriend. Sabi niya tumayo daw balahibo niya nung narinig niya yung female vocals sa Dimes. Sabi nya ng pabiro isayaw ko daw siya. Being the cynical me, I just gave her the look that says "WTF?!"  >:( :D But I also was actually shocked how realistic the Studio 20s conveyed sound.

So ayun. I've never ever saw her took interest in music, let alone music playback with that kind of enthusiasm. So naisip ko, baka fatiguing 'to. To be sure that its not just the initial sound that wowed us, I sat there for almost an hour listening to drum solos for dynamics, lots of Jazz and vocals, (and having the salesman shut up ;D) I just really cant find a hint of fatigue sa akin. I was also amazed on how it 'layered' tracks in front of you and the way the highs and lows dance dynamically. To be honest, I never felt this experience sa Audience 42 ko. Or even when i listened sa x12 on auditions back then. It was the overall musical experience I was looking for, you know, the way it sends shivers down to your spines? The Studio 20s won me (and in reference to sir qguy) for now...

So actually this was all done in sights and sounds sa Shang. The room was pretty small just like my room. It also simulated my living environments so I had the idea of how it would sound here. That, played a huge part too.

Sa tagal ng Audience 42 ko sakin, I never saw someone I cared for care about my hobby. I think that was the nail on the coffin din to see how my girl reacted. Dun ko naisip, kung almost katunog lang ng X12 ang Audience 42, I dont think it woudl have been a good investment to just repeat what I had. Definitely an upgrade.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
-Albert Einstein
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2012 at 09:30 AM by armymanhaha »
"Audiophools layuan nyo ako"

Offline armymanhaha

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1894 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 09:28 AM »
papalit nanaman si sir francis matindi lately ang sickness nya hehehe....

Its gonna be over soon. Next time big leagues naman sana makuha ko. ;)

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1895 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 09:59 AM »
Thanks sir for the very detailed impressions... :)

Ganyan din ang nangyari sa akin when I first heard the Digms in the store 10yrs back (matagal na pala). First model I ownd was Reference 60 v2, then got v3 for a very good price so I sold the v2.But unfortunately something struck me & changed my listening preference so I decided also to let go the v3 together w/ CC-570 v3.  :(

Had a chance to hear this model (v5) at my friend's house powered by B&K amp+Parasound preamp+Marantz KI cdp & all chord cables. Iba nga musical presention ng Digms compared to other speakers available in the local market, except those ultra high-end names that cost a fortune to own (nakikipakinig na lang sa shoroom)....  ;D  ;D  ;D

I went auditioning with my girlfriend. Sabi niya tumayo daw balahibo niya nung narinig niya yung female vocals sa Dimes. Sabi nya ng pabiro isayaw ko daw siya. Being the cynical me, I just gave her the look that says "WTF?!"  >:( :D But I also was actually shocked how realistic the Studio 20s conveyed sound.

So ayun. I've never ever saw her took interest in music, let alone music playback with that kind of enthusiasm. So naisip ko, baka fatiguing 'to. To be sure that its not just the initial sound that wowed us, I sat there for almost an hour listening to drum solos for dynamics, lots of Jazz and vocals, (and having the salesman shut up ;D) I just really cant find a hint of fatigue sa akin. I was also amazed on how it 'layered' tracks in front of you and the way the highs and lows dance dynamically. To be honest, I never felt this experience sa Audience 42 ko. Or even when i listened sa x12 on auditions back then. It was the overall musical experience I was looking for, you know, the way it sends shivers down to your spines? The Studio 20s won me (and in reference to sir qguy) for now...

So actually this was all done in sights and sounds sa Shang. The room was pretty small just like my room. It also simulated my living environments so I had the idea of how it would sound here. That, played a huge part too.

Sa tagal ng Audience 42 ko sakin, I never saw someone I cared for care about my hobby. I think that was the nail on the coffin din to see how my girl reacted. Dun ko naisip, kung almost katunog lang ng X12 ang Audience 42, I dont think it woudl have been a good investment to just repeat what I had. Definitely an upgrade.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
-Albert Einstein

Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Online qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #1896 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 10:00 AM »
I have the same speakers (Usher-719 and Cayin A-70t) with me for the past 5-6 years, Basically warm and forgiving, when I added an Infinity and solidstate amp, which was totally different sonic signature, Bright and Brash  its the type of sonic signature that I avoided like the plague before, well when I fired it up, I was amazed that I was enjoying the sound,  I got it because, it was affordable  and I never had an infinity before  ;D, the Cayin has not been used for the past month or so .... I guess pag nagsawa ako sa signature ng older Infinity and vintage Pioneer receiver, I would go back to my first love  ;D

-Albert Einstein

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2012 at 10:01 AM by qguy »

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1897 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 10:02 AM »
Its gonna be over soon. Next time big leagues naman sana makuha ko. ;)
parang narinig ko na yan ah hehehe...

congrats ......

Love me or hate me.....

Offline armymanhaha

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1898 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 10:04 AM »
I have the same speakers (Usher-719 and Cayin A-70t) with me for the past 5-6 years, Basically warm and forgiving, when I added an Infinity and solidstate amp, which was totally different sonic signature, Bright and Brash  its the type of sonic signature that I avoided like the plague before, well when I fired it up, I was amazed that I was enjoying the sound,  I got it because, it was affordable  and I never had an infinity before  ;D, the Cayin has not been used for the past month or so .... I guess pag nagsawa ako sa signature ng older Infinity and vintage Pioneer receiver, I would go back to my first love  ;D

I'd love to go back to dynaudio. Next year na siguro, mag mid-level na ko pag kaya na ng electronics ko  :D

Offline Frankthetank

• Collector
  • Just started my HT journey.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 79
« Reply #1899 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 10:25 AM »
Mga guru's, noob question:

I've read here na mas ideal if same series ang partner.

Will it sound odd if I pair Wharfedale 9 or 10 cs with my Polk TSI 200 fronts?

TIA :)

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1900 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 10:44 AM »
Mga guru's, noob question:

I've read here na mas ideal if same series ang partner.
Will it sound odd if I pair Wharfedale 9 or 10 cs with my Polk TSI 200 fronts?
TIA :)

unang-una syempre odd silang tingnan kung magkaiba ang drivers color or design.....  ;D

sa sound naman depende how they will react on your electronics considering both produced by different company...   :)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline Cjtjader

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Lux Lucis Volo
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #1901 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM »
So.. funnily enough, I ended up with something that wasn't on my list. A Paradigm Studio 20 v.5.

I really prefer this sound compared to my Audience 42 before. A lot more dynamic, and the midrange is so 'there'. Though one gripe I have with these speakers is that they look like crap with the grills off, so on they stay :D
Congratz on your acquisition! 8) Your Rotel's power matched  and it can easily drive the Studio 20's 90db rating. Puyatan na naman ito!! ;) ;) ;)
Perspicuus ~ Quietus ~ Consilium ~ Patefacio

Offline Frankthetank

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1902 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 11:19 AM »
unang-una syempre odd silang tingnan kung magkaiba ang drivers color or design.....  ;D

sa sound naman depende how they will react on your electronics considering both produced by different company...   :)
pansamantala setup lang naman, bitin kasi pag ala center for movies.

sound wise, will it sound odd or different? I dont know what terms to use :)

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1903 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 11:50 AM »
pansamantala setup lang naman, bitin kasi pag ala center for movies.

sound wise, will it sound odd or different? I dont know what terms to use :)

ganyan din ang setup ko noon magkaiba ang front at center....  ;D sa akin naman 'di ako madalas manood ng movie kaya ma importante sa akin ang main speakers.... :)

madalas ganyan ang setup natin pansamantala lang dahil seguro sa nature ng hobby natin gustong subukan ang iba-ibang tunog at combi. maliban segro kun itigil na natin makinig sa ibang system, pumunta sa showroomat tumingin online... pero mahirap 'ata mangyari dahil infected na tayo ng SARS...  ;D 
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline Frankthetank

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1904 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 12:44 PM »

ganyan din ang setup ko noon magkaiba ang front at center....  ;D sa akin naman 'di ako madalas manood ng movie kaya ma importante sa akin ang main speakers.... :)

madalas ganyan ang setup natin pansamantala lang dahil seguro sa nature ng hobby natin gustong subukan ang iba-ibang tunog at combi. maliban segro kun itigil na natin makinig sa ibang system, pumunta sa showroomat tumingin online... pero mahirap 'ata mangyari dahil infected na tayo ng SARS...  ;D 

kaya ako makumpleto ko lang system ko, di muna ako titingin tingin... :)

by the way kamusta pala ang tunog pag magkaiba ang fronts sa center?

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #1905 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 01:05 PM »
kaya ako makumpleto ko lang system ko, di muna ako titingin tingin... :)

by the way kamusta pala ang tunog pag magkaiba ang fronts sa center?

My personal experience tells me its ok naman, i can't detect much difference.  From what i have read wharfedales are warm/laidback. Polk's are brighter naman than the wharfs.  I own klipsch fronts (known to be bright/harsh) and a wharf 10cm for a center, the sound is fine and works for me so far. 60% of movies sound comes from the front naman eh so you wont notice the fronts much, not unless its action time and maraming panning effects.  And as i mentioned, based on my experience its still satisfies me.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline misteryoso

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Bass Mechanix
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1906 on: Sep 20, 2012 at 12:53 AM »
Which one much better Wharf 9.3 or wharf 10.2?using in front for music & movies..thanks
Make Sound Stereo Make Life Stay Real

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1907 on: Sep 20, 2012 at 02:52 AM »
Which one much better Wharf 9.3 or wharf 10.2?using in front for music & movies..thanks

you might get more replies if you post at the wharfedale threads

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,96958.0.html ==> 10 series thread

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,39432.0.html ==> 9 series thread
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline misteryoso

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Bass Mechanix
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1908 on: Sep 20, 2012 at 07:05 AM »
Ah ok thanks for the link!
Make Sound Stereo Make Life Stay Real

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1909 on: Sep 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM »
Can anyone recommend a bookshelf speaker which will be paired with a Rotel amp + Denon receiver for pure HT application?

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1910 on: Sep 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM »
Can anyone recommend a bookshelf speaker which will be paired with a Rotel amp + Denon receiver for pure HT application?

http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?topic=2760.0

I think you will appreciate this review.  :) personally i like the 685 followed by rtia3 as a very close second kung walang budget in mind. Kung may budget rtia3 - bang for your buck at 19990 srp, may discount pa yan sire sa mga suking tindahan.  And at the marketplace meron for sale at 14k used(black) 15k used(cherry). Happy auditioning, hopefully one of the bookshelf speakers reviewed will please your ears.  ;D
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline haboky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1911 on: Sep 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM »
+1 on the b&w685 and polk rtia3 suggestion..  :)
LG 42LB5510
Marantz PM6005
Dali Zensor 3
ITX Desktop PC w/ Digital Optical Out
Spotify Premium

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #1912 on: Sep 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM »

I think you will appreciate this review.  :) personally i like the 685 followed by rtia3 as a very close second kung walang budget in mind. Kung may budget rtia3 - bang for your buck at 19990 srp, may discount pa yan sire sa mga suking tindahan.  And at the marketplace meron for sale at 14k used(black) 15k used(cherry). Happy auditioning, hopefully one of the bookshelf speakers reviewed will please your ears.  ;D

I was just browsing headphiles recently and I wonder why they hate "sibilance"?
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM by sientobente »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1913 on: Sep 22, 2012 at 03:57 PM »
I was just browsing headphiles recently and I wonder why they hate "sibilance"?

Baka kasi masakit sa tenga because imagine mo na lang yun speaker directly firing sa ears.

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1914 on: Sep 22, 2012 at 08:44 PM »

Thanks for taking time to answer my question.  I am also leaning towards the 685 kaso the finish of B&W is not as nice as Monitor Audio.  I came from the RS and the BR series of Monitor Audio before.  Finish is fantasic, sound is so so, kaso I am not sure how it will pair with Rotel.

1.  MA's and Rotels don't mix? (i'st like tuna and chocolate in one review i read).
2.  Any chance B&W will have a new version of the 600 series?
3.  Where to buy B&W? who gives the best deals?

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2012 at 08:51 PM by Lancito »

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1915 on: Sep 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM »
Thanks for taking time to answer my question.  I am also leaning towards the 685 kaso the finish of B&W is not as nice as Monitor Audio.  I came from the RS and the BR series of Monitor Audio before.  Finish is fantasic, sound is so so, kaso I am not sure how it will pair with Rotel.

1.  MA's and Rotels don't mix? (i'st like tuna and chocolate in one review i read).
2.  Any chance B&W will have a new version of the 600 series?
3.  Where to buy B&W? who gives the best deals?

Avshop sir sa may marketplace natin here sa pdvd.  But if you are looking for a brick and mortar shop...almost all audio video shops carry b&w.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1916 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 08:17 AM »
Avshop sir sa may marketplace natin here sa pdvd.  But if you are looking for a brick and mortar shop...almost all audio video shops carry b&w.
avshop has a shop in qc :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1917 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 08:30 AM »
I'd love to go back to dynaudio. Next year na siguro, mag mid-level na ko pag kaya na ng electronics ko  :D

Pang demonyo lang . . . try out your Dyns (if you still have them) or your Digms with an upper level amp  . . .

>:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline armymanhaha

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1918 on: Sep 24, 2012 at 05:11 AM »
Ibang dimonyo pumasok sakin sir. Nag PSB Synchrony One B nalang ako. I heard it with a dual mono Musical fidelity amp and was thoroughly impressed, so yes next upgrade ko is the amp :)

« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2012 at 07:34 AM by armymanhaha »

Offline armymanhaha

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1919 on: Sep 24, 2012 at 07:35 AM »
oh and btw, kaya pala ko nag switch to PSB is because di ako happy sa finish ng nakuha kong Studio 20v.5. Galing sa magkaibang batch so yung finish nila medyo magkaiba so nagdagdag nalang ako ng cash para makuha ko yung One B.