Author Topic: Help me choose my Flat TV, LCD or Plasma  (Read 4213 times)

Offline snicky11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • King of the hill
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help me choose my Flat TV, LCD or Plasma
« on: Dec 25, 2006 at 11:03 AM »
Can anyone help me choose w/c 40" flat tv I should buy & where I can test all of the tv's I mentioned. My options are Sony V(205t 24mos) & X(260t 24mos) series, Samsung Mosel N71(210t 18mos w/ 20lcd tv), f71 no price yet, Hitachi 42PD8900TA 150t 6mos, & Panasonic 42PHD8/W8.

1. I want to know where I can test the picture quality using reg/cable(sky) reception
2. Picture quality on orig dvd & P* dvd?
3. need at least 2hdmi
4. PQ on PC using vga/hdmi via dvi w/ 1920x1080 or 1366x768.

I'll be connecting the tv to my ps3, dvd & comp. I have till Dec 31, 2006 to buy so that I could avail of the promo discount, 0% interest & free Items.

Kindly post your knowledge as to w/c tv would be worth buying. Thanks :D

Offline snicky11

• Apprentice
  • King of the hill
  • Liked:
Re: Help me choose my Flat TV, LCD or Plasma
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2006 at 10:24 AM »
anybody here that could help me decide w/ flat tv to buy? also saan shop yun meron cable tv reception for testing sa lcd / plasma? pls post your advice. really appreciate it. thanks & merry christmas to all. :D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2006 at 11:26 AM »
Your 40" HDTV would be a real waste for cable TV watching.  Because without exception,  if there's any source that would look horrible on ANY HDTV display, it would  be from a local cable TV supplier.  ;D  Local Cable TV viewing is best served with 29" regular TVs at the most.

Am not familiar with most of your choices, but based on reviews and posts in other forums, the x series from Bravia has the best PQ LCD at the moment, or even among all HDTVs starting with their 40 incher with ful 1080p HD resolution.  Also a net research on the models you've short-listed can be informative.  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2006 at 11:56 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2006 at 02:51 PM »
I'm presently researching on local prices vs. prices abroad.  On this basis, the Hitachi plasma 42 seems to be the best value at this time.

I've recently become partial in favor of plasmas, mainly because of its performance under darkness/dim lighting, color accuracy and more "film-like" picture.
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2006 at 02:53 PM by barrister »

Offline jontabs

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2006 at 10:04 PM »
snicky, your comparisons are not quite apple to apple. You are choosing between a high end LCD and a Plasma. I am personally for Plasma's at this time, although i am going to get a Toshiba LCD 37 Regza this week.  :) :)

Anyway, i agree with av-phile regarding your intentions to watch it in cable TV. well, i guess you might have to see it first because you might get dissapointed when you get home. Also, personally, forget about pirated DVD's if you are watching it in your X series or Hitachi Plasma... sayang bro...

Good luck... and let us know what was your decision.. ;)

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2006 at 01:35 AM »
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline snicky11

• Apprentice
  • King of the hill
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2006 at 01:47 AM »
I know what you mean if I'm just going to watch it for SD broadcast but I'm going to replace my main tv on my theater room. It will also serves as my alternate monitor for my computer & main tv for my PS3, PS2, Wii, DVD, BD & also regular tv on that room. I've seen the x series using air broadcast at anson gale w/o antenna. its not  pixelated but kinda mosaic/smoothen out pq. on plasma, I've seen 40" & 50" pana w6 w/ sky at my friends house & the pq is acceptable although not as clear as crt, due to low res. I just want to know if any of you guys know what/where shop that has cable tv for testing the tv's their selling. hehehe:D & also to those who had bought locally the tv's I mentioned, any comments bout it.

thank you to all who replied. :D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2006 at 03:57 PM »
A bit OT:  But an interesting Plasma Vs LCD from the news:
http://news.com.com/Forget+LCD%2C+go+for+plasma%2C+says+maker+of+both/2100-1041_3-6145896.html

Hindi naman siguro OT.  If snicky11 needs help in choosing between different plasma and LCD models, then a comparison between the performances of the 2 types would be relevant.

It's an interesting article.  It helped me confirm my personal views.  I tried to like LCD these past few months.  Unfortunately, my personal preference is still plasma  ...   for now.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2006 at 03:58 PM by barrister »

Offline snicky11

• Apprentice
  • King of the hill
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2006 at 10:39 PM »
Just went to sight & sounds & tested the V200 series, Pioneer 427xg & 60" SXRD on my ps3. All I can say that the pioneer has the best picture quality in 720p; the v200 was abit over sharpen that resulted in jagged edges when playing games but on blu-ray it quite good, the pq is almost same as pioneer. The sxrd have a  soft pq compared the 2 tv's bt at 1080p w/ ridge racer it was stunning. even the owner/mgr was amazed by the pq. Tom I'll go to anson to demo the x series & samsung mosel & go back to S&S for hitachi demo. :D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2007 at 12:05 PM »
I went to Anson and auditioned:

1. Hitachi 42 Plasma HDTV.  PQ on a standard def DVD was soft.   

2. Panasonic Viera 42 Plasma EDTV.  PQ on standard DVD was amazing.  Tried my DVD-R single layer compressed via DVDShrink  ---  PQ was still amazing.

3. Panasonic Viera 50 Plasma HDTV.  PQ on standard DVD and my DVD-R single layer was just slightly better than the EDTV from a 9 foot viewing distance.

Lesson:  A display's higher native resolution does not automatically result in better PQ.

In fairness to the Hitachi, I'm sure it would have outperformed the Viera EDTV on an HD-DVD.  But since I'll be using standard DVDs and compressed DVD-Rs, I'm sold on the Viera EDTV (9th generation, P135,000 at Anson without freebies other than pedestal or wall mount bracket). 

I never thought I'd see the day when an affordable big screen (with emphasis on "affordable") would rival CRTs, but the PQ on the 42 Viera EDTV is perhaps even slightly better than a CRT in many areas.   
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2007 at 03:30 PM by barrister »

Offline ekswind

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2007 at 08:12 PM »
i am going to get a Toshiba LCD 37 Regza this week.  :) :)

OT

jontabs

musta yun regza mo any feed back where did you get your LCD

Offline tambutsoo

• Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 07:15 PM »
Panasonic Viera 42 Plasma EDTV.  PQ on standard DVD was amazing.  Tried my DVD-R single layer compressed via DVDShrink  ---  PQ was still amazing.

anong model yan pare?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 08:37 PM »
TH-42PA60M, bosing.  Latest model in da Pilipins, 9th generation.

I was so impressed that I gave a downpayment today. P120k (after a lot of haggling) at Avid in Robinsons Marcos Highway, Cainta.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2007 at 08:56 PM by barrister »

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 07:23 AM »
TH-42PA60M, bosing.  Latest model in da Pilipins, 9th generation.

I was so impressed that I gave a downpayment today. P120k (after a lot of haggling) at Avid in Robinsons Marcos Highway, Cainta.

Meron mas matindi pa dian, panasonic 42pw9HD comming soon sa pinas around 120k lang I think. Rated sobra sa mga reviews sa U.S. by 1st week of March meron na tayo.

Offline axn8882003

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 09:44 AM »
Hi, I have the Hitachi 42PD8900TA. It's really value for money. With the double tuners, 2xHDMI, SD Card reader, USB Inputs, and countless AV inputs, I am happy with my purchase.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 09:56 AM »
Congrats, sir.  Sulit nga ang Hitachi, prices here are close to prices abroad, highest resolution 42 plasma pa.

How much kuha mo? 

Did you go through any break-in process?

Offline axn8882003

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 11:20 AM »
I got it from Listening Room Mega mall. 145K ata yun e. Oliver of Listening room said there's no break in required. You can't even see the horizontal lines when you look at it up close.  :)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 01:37 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  Murang mura yan, it was a great deal. 

Sa Viera 480p ko, pag less than 6 feet away, kita ang pixels.  Hindi na nga siguro kailangan ng break-in, but I'm still doing it, para sigurado lang.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2007 at 05:11 PM by barrister »

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 11:11 AM »
Meron mas matindi pa dian, panasonic 42pw9HD comming soon sa pinas around 120k lang I think. Rated sobra sa mga reviews sa U.S. by 1st week of March meron na tayo.

which one is this? 600U ba equivalent nyan sa US? 120K ang 42?!  :o if yes, i'll wait for that!!

barrister,
yang viera ba yung 60U?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 01:42 PM »
barrister,
yang viera ba yung 60U?

Viera lang talaga ang available sa Philippines sa ngayon.  Yung ibang models, parallel import lang, not from Panasonic Philippines.

Panasonic Viera ang akin, model TH-42PA60M (not "60U").  This is Panasonic's lowest end Plasma in the Philippines:

http://panasonic.com.ph/viera/TH-42PA60M%20specs.htm

If you wait for the next model, most likely mas maganda na, mas mura pa.  Bumili na ako dahil kung laging ganun ang sasabihin ko, hindi na ako makakabili kahit kailan dahil palagi namang mas maganda at mas mura ang susunod na model. ;D ;D ;D

Advice ko, kung gusto mo talaga ng Panasonic Plasma, don't buy the present model.  Tignan mo muna ang next model, then read some reviews before deciding.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2007 at 02:07 PM by barrister »

Offline mario128

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 04:49 PM »
Ok ba yung 42" na Samsung Plasma? Di ko sure yung model eh. Pero 75k lang.

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 05:21 PM »
thx! i hope i can wait for the new Panny plasmas. IMO, i like the PQ on plasmas better than LCDs. but...

LCDs have a lot more advantages than plasmas and so i might actually get an LCD especially considering the current prices!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 05:46 PM »
Ok ba yung 42" na Samsung Plasma? Di ko sure yung model eh. Pero 75k lang.

Kung Samsung, dapat LCD.  Sabi sa mga U.S. forums, masama pa rin ang burn-in problem sa mga plasma ng Samsung.

Wag magtipid sa mga big screen.  Remember that it's extremely difficult to manufacture good LCD and plasma TVs.  It helps to be brand conscious kung ganito ang items na bibilhin.  Pag nag 2nd & 3rd tier manufacturer ka, malamang palpak ang TV.

Sa plasma, ang recommended ay Pioneer, Panasonic and Fujitsu.

thx! i hope i can wait for the new Panny plasmas. IMO, i like the PQ on plasmas better than LCDs. but...

LCDs have a lot more advantages than plasmas and so i might actually get an LCD especially considering the current prices!

Isip isip muna, sir.

Pareho lang may advantages and disadvantages ang plasma & LCD.  It will depend on the user what disadvantages he can live with.  Plasma owners love their plasmas, LCD owners love their LCDs.  Everybody happy. 
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2007 at 05:54 PM by barrister »

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 06:29 PM »
Isip isip muna, sir.

Pareho lang may advantages and disadvantages ang plasma & LCD.  It will depend on the user what disadvantages he can live with.  Plasma owners love their plasmas, LCD owners love their LCDs.  Everybody happy. 

yep, like i said. for me, plasmas have better PQ... well, at least from what my eyes have seen. but, again, IMO, the new LCDs have a lot more to offer.

if the current deals on LCDs are real, i might bite the bullet very, very soon! impulse buyer ako e!  ;D

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2007 at 01:31 AM »
some random thoughts from my search so far on why i am choosing one over the other.

* lcd prices are really falling fast as predicted since the last quarter of last year. prices as recent as from last month has fallen down as high as 30k, or am i being conservative? although that includes price drops by getting away with the freebies, most people are just too happy to get just the basic panel... since the bottomline is getting one for the minimum amount of cash outlay. still, more price cuts are expected until midyear, then higher res panels will come in which will nudge prices a bit higher again. just a bit though considering the higher spec'd model you can get by then. so, the lcd horizon is really looking bright.

* plasma lovers haven't been as lucky. there's no announcement of a substantial price reduction to match that of the lcd's. so i'm more of waiting for the sweet spot which for me will be like >720p panels for less than 90k, pref. 75k. is it wishful thinking on my part? currently the greatest price drops are on lcd's of 32" size from any brand. 37" and higher are still in the 80k region or more, so  at 90k for a 42" plasma panel... the choice is not as hard. i'm not too inclined to get a 32" coz my tv now is 29" 4:3, and i might not feel the upgrade too much if i only get the 32".

what got me interested in the plasma again was when i had seen a panasonic plasma showing a mostly headshot interview in a dark background. the effect is really 3d like. they may be not as bright as lcd's but plasma color is rich, not oversaturated. makes for a more pleasing skin tone rendition. previous to that, i had only seen plasmas displaying snowy pictures or with interference signals running all over them.

* projectors are what's been keeping me from jumping into the flat panel bandwagon. as i've said, i really want to be awed by the size of the images, and the most affordable route for 50" or larger screens would be the pj's, esp. the dlp ones. what's been keeping me from them though is the inconvenience in doing the setup. it's either i will have to run a 20m hdmi/dvi/component cable from dvd to pj for the video.... or have the two close together then run a coaxial cable for the audio from the pj to the amp. i have yet to see a pj in a proper setup though, so i might change my mind and decide i could live with the hassles of operating one.

so, for 32" needs... lcd is the way to go mostly by virtue of no plasma panel available locally for that size. if you want a larger screen, 42" lcd panels are still on par with same size plasmas in terms of price. still haven't heard of a sub-100k 42" lcd. so, all else being equal... plasma it is for me for color rendition and contrast. if you want your image to be big but doesn't have the moolah for the sony 50" x-series... pj's are the affordable, value for money alternative.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av