Author Topic: 2007 Brands Comparison Thread: Sony Bravia S Series 40" or Toshiba 37WL66E 37?  (Read 46255 times)

Offline prick27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello gurus! I've been religiously visiting this forum for the past couple of weeks and I can say that it has been really helpful to so many people that are on the lookout for the best LCDs/Plasmas.

But among these 32 inchers, which do you think is the best for PC? Any inputs will be greatly appreciated, the pros and cons, and reviews from the people who actually own these models and use it as PC monitors,Links to websites with discussions. Images of actual desktop, or links to videos of actual performance would be helpful.

Thanks guys! Pinoydvd is the best! ;D

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Self Made Young Millionaire
  • Liked:
For my personal tase, id go for Sharp, Samsung and lastly Toshiba..

P.S- Why not go for R81B instead of S81? :)
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2007 at 11:39 AM by Fait »

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
here we go again with these 3 brands :D

eto na ang problema nating lahat. hahahaha. also interested in looking at this one. i can probably try hooking up my laptop when i get time.

Offline antikryst

• Collector
  • Liked:
lets also base our judgement on price.

how much are the following on cash and card?

1) 32" s81 ??cash 60k card 0% (any better prices other than srp?)
2) 32" px5m ??cash 64k card 0%
3) 32" a3000e 48k cash 55k card (with dvd player)

layo kasi prices eh. its a big purchase. sana nga i can just opt for the best without looking at the prices.

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
lets also base our judgement on price.

how much are the following on cash and card?

1) 32" s81 ??cash 60k card 0% (any better prices other than srp?)
2) 32" px5m ??cash 64k card 0%
3) 32" a3000e 48k cash 55k card (with dvd player)

layo kasi prices eh. its a big purchase. sana nga i can just opt for the best without looking at the prices.

sori.. cant help out in the card price dept... never tried it haha..

but on the cash price dept. they all appear tied to me. (except the sharp px5m, which costs more)
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline squatt3r

• DVD Addict
  • Advanced Micro Devices fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
sharp px5m is 61k cash at Saver's

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Tried all three brands last night and only Samsung could be detected properly by my Mac/PC/Xbox360 and use native resolution. None of that scaling lameness.

My only complaint is that it uses VGA ports.

Offline prick27

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
For my personal tase, id go for Sharp, Samsung and lastly Toshiba..

P.S- Why not go for R81B instead of S81? :)

You have a point there sir. hehe pero as much as possible yung bang for the buck talaga. Feel free to post other LCD TVs which has good PC input capabilities and I'll just change the title of the thread. Pero Yung mga 60k and below lang sana. ;D Keep 'em coming!

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
32A3000E for 47k cash at LIS. =P~
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2007 at 08:23 PM by Fait »

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
yung 42A3000E? magkano?

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
@prick27:

Just for the heads-up, if you're planning for a HTPC setup. DO NOT get the Toshiba A3000E models because it sucks bigtime if jacked on a PC. It is on 4:3 mode only - you can't adjust it to wide or 16:9 anymore unlike Sharp and Samsung.

Offline prick27

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
@prick27:

Just for the heads-up, if you're planning for a HTPC setup. DO NOT get the Toshiba A3000E models because it sucks bigtime if jacked on a PC. It is on 4:3 mode only - you can't adjust it to wide or 16:9 anymore unlike Sharp and Samsung.

thanks for the heads up sir. Very tempting pa naman tong Tosh na to. Thanks so much sir, im leaning towards the s81 because of the possible HTIB bundle which will serve as my speakers for the PC.  :D

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
thanks for the heads up sir. Very tempting pa naman tong Tosh na to. Thanks so much sir, im leaning towards the s81 because of the possible HTIB bundle which will serve as my speakers for the PC.  :D
@prick27:
No problem sir ;) Goodluck on your TV hunt.

Offline antikryst

• Collector
  • Liked:
@fait

yun pa problem mo? naka 4:3 with the toshiba? did you try choosing a widescreen res? that should work as it would force your tv to use its native res without scaling.

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
@fait

yun pa problem mo? naka 4:3 with the toshiba? did you try choosing a widescreen res? that should work as it would force your tv to use its native res without scaling.
@antikryst:

No options for that on PC mode, you can only change 16:9 / wide on HDMI and TV mode but on pc, you'll be stuck at 4:3 - if you press the widescreen mode via the remote, you'll get a "not available" message.

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
@Fait
kahit sa driver ng VC mo mismo dude? hindi ba detected ng VC mo ang native reso ng HDTV?

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
@Fait
kahit sa driver ng VC mo mismo dude? hindi ba detected ng VC mo ang native reso ng HDTV?
@leomar:

Driver has nothing to do with coz i came from a Samsung S71 and Bravia V200A just couple of days back - and it's not about the resolution, it's about the aspect ratio (4:3 - normal) should be at least (16:9 - wide)
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2007 at 01:07 PM by Fait »

Offline antikryst

• Collector
  • Liked:
4:3 has corresponding resolutions..same with 16:9. ayaw talaga? weird

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
4:3 has corresponding resolutions..same with 16:9. ayaw talaga? weird
@antikryst:

Yep, the native resolution of 1360x768 on 4:3 will be distored.. so you have to lower it to 1024x768 (not sure if thats the exact reso) or atleast 2 resolution lower than the native one and the weird thing there is it's maxed resolution is upto 3500x10** i think, but of course selecting that resolution will give you a black and blinking screen.

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
@leomar:

Driver has nothing to do with coz i came from a Samsung S71 and Bravia V200A just couple of days back - and it's not about the resolution, it's about the aspect ratio (4:3 - normal) should be at least (16:9 - wide)

so kahit naka 1360x768 ka na naka 4:3 pa rin? i assume may black bars sa both sides? so 16:9 na 4:3 hehe
weird nga, hindi kaya factory defect un?

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
so kahit naka 1360x768 ka na naka 4:3 pa rin? i assume may black bars sa both sides? so 16:9 na 4:3 hehe
weird nga, hindi kaya factory defect un?
@leomar:

Yeah meron 2 black bars sa side (supot noh?, hehe)

I think hindi ata talaga maganda for PC yung A3000E, check asia.cnet's review... yung screen/camshot nila dun, mapapansin mo with 2 black bars din sa side..

link: http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0,39037588,40337082p-3,00.htm

Offline obsi

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
@antikryst:

No options for that on PC mode, you can only change 16:9 / wide on HDMI and TV mode but on pc, you'll be stuck at 4:3 - if you press the widescreen mode via the remote, you'll get a "not available" message.

That's strange, my older 32wl66e allows wide option on PC mode at 1024x768, and does it well too.  Good thing I didn't wait for the 32a300e.  BTW if you guys are looking for cheap M-M vga cable that works just fine, Electroworld has 2m for only p195.  It has all 15 pins, unlike some others, but I have no idea what the missing pin was for anywhoo.
"All Your BASS Are Belong To Us..."

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
That's strange, my older 32wl66e allows wide option on PC mode at 1024x768, and does it well too.  Good thing I didn't wait for the 32a300e.  BTW if you guys are looking for cheap M-M vga cable that works just fine, Electroworld has 2m for only p195.  It has all 15 pins, unlike some others, but I have no idea what the missing pin was for anywhoo.
@obsi:

Yeah, I think the WL66E models can do 16:9 aspect ratio when used as a PC monitor coz when I went to LIS 3 months ago, the lady there was using the 42"WL66E as her primary monitor...

Too bad, Toshiba didn't do good on their A3000E. :c

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
@obsi:

Yeah, I think the WL66E models can do 16:9 aspect ratio when used as a PC monitor coz when I went to LIS 3 months ago, the lady there was using the 42"WL66E as her primary monitor...

Too bad, Toshiba didn't do good on their A3000E. :c

I agree with you sir, using 32wl66 can really do a 16:9 wide better than any other brands in terms of using it as a pc monitor, regarding the A3000e it is a lower version of the 32wl66, less in terms of color and contrast. the 32r81 Samsung is good for viewing dvd, tv and games. ;)

Offline jamjam

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Samsung vs JVC (32" LCD)
« Reply #115 on: Jun 25, 2007 at 02:19 PM »
Last saturday, I went to Abenson to buy the 32" Samsung LCD (LA32R81B) but ended up buying the JVC LT-32EX17. According to the seller, the JVC has superior picture quality than Samsung because of the video engine.

In comparing the specs, I was told that the JVC has 10000:1 against 8000:1 for Samsung. Arriving home, I checked the internet for the JVC specs and found out that it's only 1200:1 -- far inferior than Samsung.

I read from the internet that the DCR (Dynamic Contrast Ratio) does not help much in your decision because the best judgement would be your eyes.

My questions are:

1. Is Samsung better than JVC?
2. Any comment in the DCR?

I compared side by side both TV system and found them to be a par with each other. I just read here that JVC has poor service. This makes me consider of returning the unit and swap it with Samsung.

Thanks!
Denon 2311
B&W 685
Mirage S8

Offline antikryst

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Samsung vs JVC (32" LCD)
« Reply #116 on: Jun 25, 2007 at 03:48 PM »
1200 contrast ratio is more or less 8000 up in dynamic contrast

how much did you get it for? the new LGs (not yet out here) is specked out at 1200 contrast, or 10,000 dynamic contrast

Offline jamjam

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Jun 25, 2007 at 04:22 PM »
Hi,

I got the unit the same price of Samsung for 69,999 with Free DVD Player.

So the 1200:1 Contrast Ratio is equivalent to 8000:1 Dynamic? How can this be? Thanks! :)
Denon 2311
B&W 685
Mirage S8

Offline runner10

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #118 on: Jun 25, 2007 at 05:19 PM »
There aren't that many JCV LCD owners here. In fact, this the first time I have read of anyone considering a JVC as an LCD. 

You went to the shop to get a Samsung and somehow ended up with a JVC.  You obviously felt (or convinced) that the JVC was a better LCD than the Samsung for you to buy it.  Forget the contrast ratios.  If you are happy with the picture quality, that's all that matters.  After sales, of course, is a different story.

Me, I'm happy with my 37" Samsung.

Offline jamjam

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Jun 25, 2007 at 06:03 PM »
I ended up buying JVC because its a new model, comes with a free DVD player, 24 months at zero interest, and subjectively at par video quality with Samsung.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm happy with the contrast and details of the JVC, but I'm worried about the horror stories I read about after-sales.

I talked to the people of Abenson and they agreed for an exchange for the Samsung LA32R81B.

Read somewhere that contrast ratio and dynamic contrast ratio do not matter. It is your eyes that will ultimately determine your happiness and satisfaction.
Denon 2311
B&W 685
Mirage S8