Author Topic: Onkyo 703 etc  (Read 875 times)

Offline WillHunting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Onkyo 703 etc
« on: Feb 08, 2007 at 05:50 PM »
Hi all. Need advise before I go on a spending spree this weekend. This is technically my 3rd HT upgrade--started out "HT-in-a-box" then currently to Denon 1804+JBL SCS+Philips 43" Projection--but now, would consider moving into a bit more serious HT. I am also just starting to develop my ear for audio (and yes, been warned not to go through this blackhole but it seems the inevitable has started.

What are your thoughts on my planned setup below>

-Onkyo 703 [originally wanted to try the HK 340 but nabentahan yata ako ng Onkyo na THX na daw...hmmm.....advise, advise pls. is this overkill for the B&W bookshelf speakers? This does not have HDMI input yet-- should I get another Onkyo that has? Would it matter considering I would directly input my player into the LCD TV anyway?

-B&W 602 S3 (front) - [was choosing from the Paradigm Monitor 7 or B&W 603 originally as I wanted floorstanders na. I think the Paradigm sounded better for HT but since I wanted to develop my audio, I chose the B&W]
-B&W LCR 60 (center)
-Velodyne VX10 ver 2 (sub)
-B&W 601 (surrounds) or B&W 303 (para cheaper)

-Hitachi 32LD8800 [yes I know, up to 1080i lang ito but realistically, it would take some time before I get HD DVD player and HD DVDs! -- also considered the 37" 1080p ready version but had to stick to budget. You think I would be forced to upgrade din naman in maybe 2 years time when HD DVD would have hopefully penetrated the local market?]

I still havent decided what to get to my DVD and CD player. Most likely, I will be ok with the Pioneer 490V (HDMI) but I need to invest pa on my CD player (what it is is unknown to me at this point)...

Guys, appreciate your insights and thoughts please. I run the risk of getting more confused I know by posting this but I know I've come to the right place.  ;D

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Onkyo 703 etc
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2007 at 07:00 PM »
i would wait for the 704 if i were you. hopefully may hdmi na to. how big is your room nga pala?

dm600 na lang kunin mo for the surrounds and upgrade your center to the lcr600

Offline et414

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2007 at 07:11 PM »
or if hdmi isn't important for you mag 702 ka na lang. xm radio and 7.1 channel inputs lang naman ang difference e. malamang may makakuha ka pa ng bigger discount sa new old stock.

Offline Zitr0

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2007 at 04:40 AM »
I 2nd Sir ET here,

AS for HT is concerned, always get the best center chanel you can get since 70% of HT sound is on the center. So go for the LCR600, and so as to get available funds for this, get the extra cash from saving on the surround channels and get the DM600.
The 601 would be good but if there is a working buget, the 600 will suffice specially if you have a small to medium size room. I myself is also planning on getting this one since i have a small room and planned on using my 602 for pure stereo applications.

As for the AVR, if HDMI is not that impt. because you'll be connecting it directly to your display get the 702, cheaper and still the same with the 703 just without the HDMI...

BTW: try to check also the 675, it may be priced a little high, but check it if you want better integration and sound quality for the room, and if you dont want to mess with the hassele. its equipt kasi with the AUDESSY 2EQ w/c is wery good daw pag dating sa pag cacalibrate ng speakers to get the best possible and flatest frequency response for you room.

CHEERS!
Congrats in advance bro...!
"NO SPEAKER IS MADE PERFECT, YOUR "EARS" MAKE A SPEAKER PERFECT!"

Offline WillHunting

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2007 at 11:41 AM »
i would wait for the 704 if i were you. hopefully may hdmi na to. how big is your room nga pala?

dm600 na lang kunin mo for the surrounds and upgrade your center to the lcr600

Thanks ET414. Actually, my other option is to get the DM303 -- what do you think? Have to check how much the DM600 would cost. Wouldn't the LCR600 outbalance my 602s?

Offline WillHunting

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2007 at 11:52 AM »
I 2nd Sir ET here,

AS for HT is concerned, always get the best center chanel you can get since 70% of HT sound is on the center. So go for the LCR600, and so as to get available funds for this, get the extra cash from saving on the surround channels and get the DM600.
The 601 would be good but if there is a working buget, the 600 will suffice specially if you have a small to medium size room. I myself is also planning on getting this one since i have a small room and planned on using my 602 for pure stereo applications.

As for the AVR, if HDMI is not that impt. because you'll be connecting it directly to your display get the 702, cheaper and still the same with the 703 just without the HDMI...

BTW: try to check also the 675, it may be priced a little high, but check it if you want better integration and sound quality for the room, and if you dont want to mess with the hassele. its equipt kasi with the AUDESSY 2EQ w/c is wery good daw pag dating sa pag cacalibrate ng speakers to get the best possible and flatest frequency response for you room.

CHEERS!
Congrats in advance bro...!

Thanks for the advise ric999. Will check out the 675. I posted a question on if getting the LCR600 outbalance my 602s? I originally considered the 603 sana but had to stick to budget. The floorstanders will have to wait -- considering also that I dont have a big room anyway. I just want it to look *nice*  ;D of course. Hehe.

Am I going the right way by saying that HDMI for my receiver isn't that impt now since I will hook up video directly to the LCD TV anyway? And use optical from player to receiver? Am i missing something by doing that or am i being short-sighted?  ???

Offline et414

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2007 at 12:51 PM »
around 15k ata dm600 discounted na. don't worry about overwhelming the 602, by many accounts it's the best speaker in the 600 series.

getting a receiver w/ hdmi depends on when you plan on going hi def. if you plan on getting a hi def player in a year or so, get an hdmi receiver. the tx-sr604/674 is hdmi capable na, wala lang ngang preouts w/c is a disadvantage if you plan on adding a poweramp in the future

Offline Zitr0

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2007 at 05:53 AM »
Outbalance the 602's? Di naman bro, gunun ung set-up ko not to mention sinabi rin sa website na this is good also for big rooms, yun din and setup na may mga reviews, and if ever you also have your reciever to balance them out perfectly. And actually alot of people in the B&W forum use that same set up, 602 and LCR600, not to mention tama na naman si boss ET about the 602 being probably the best sa 600 series. Kaya nga nya daw talunin ang 603s3 and even 604's, gamitan lang ng magandang sub together with the 602's and calibrate it properly.

As for HDMI you wont lose anything at all if you are going to stick and be contented w/ a regular 5.1 set-up. But if you are planning on going for the next step, "all out" HIGH DEFINITION, both AUDIO and VIDEO, better get an AVR w/ HDMI. Heard abt BlueRay and HDdvd's? Both of these uses HD connections for audio para talagang walang nawawala daw na signal.
So in return, mas malinaw na ung picture quality, mas malinaw din ung audio. :)

"NO SPEAKER IS MADE PERFECT, YOUR "EARS" MAKE A SPEAKER PERFECT!"