Author Topic: The Plasma Thread  (Read 102124 times)

Offline byron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Audio and Video Phile Beginner
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Plasma Thread
« Reply #330 on: Mar 15, 2008 at 12:22 AM »
THANKS THANKS dB10!!! now i have to find that thread on burning in the TV...

I just watched Monster's inc with my kids - AWESOME!!!  the hairs of Sulley really showed distinctly!!!!

DANG! I should have gotten one of these earlier!

I think the 508XG would be the cheapest in its class with an end-to-end Pioneer manufacturing product.  The new releases are either too expensive or may be not an end-to-end Pio product since they will be sourcing their panels from Pana soon...

anyways, I would like to thank everybody for the tips!!!  special thanks to Lithium, who has given me GREAT inputs.

SALAMAT DIN SA INYONG LAHAT NA TUMULONG!  Every little bit of advise is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #331 on: Mar 15, 2008 at 10:31 AM »
Hi Guys,
I just got my Pioneer 508XG from Vic!

thanks VIC! great service.

Thanks for buying TV from Sights and Sounds.  Congrats, and enjoy your new TV.
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2008 at 10:33 AM by E-reply »

Offline byron

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 11:05 PM »
Many thanks to everyone who has given me inputs that enabled me to finally decide on the 508XG.  I really appreciate it!  Galing ng PinoyDVD community.  Thank you thank you!

I would just like to show you my humble setup with my new Pio 508XG...

You may notice - putol yung picture which was intentional. hahaha I have pictures on the right side of the shelf at which when I zoomed - kita pictures namin so I cut the pic hehe.

Offline Novice01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • getting there
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:33 AM »
Can anyone give their comments about the Hitachi 42A01. It's on sale right now at various appliance stores, it's peg at 65k.

Were are also considering the Samsung 32 inch models. The only reason we are considering the Hitachi, it's because, it's full HD as oppose to the Samsung 32 inch models. Would this particular Hitachi model be susceptible to burn in or any brand of plasma for that matter.

We are also looking at the Samsung 32 inch slim TV, any comments.

And can anyone also pls. explain to me the advantage of having a full HD LCD/Plasma TV. Unfortunately  none of the sales staff that I've asked knows what they are talking about.

Another thing that's bothering me is the input signal coming from players. Let say your player can output 1080p and your LCD/Plasma can only display 768, will it downscale the pic? how will it affect the PQ? same thing for the Samsung 32 slim TV, on the spec sheet it can only display 1080i, how will it look like on a 1080p player?

I've researched a bit and found out that DVDs only has an output of 480...I  forgot if it's i or p. How will it look like on a 768 or 1080 LCD/Plasma TV.

I just want to future proof our purchase, I mean 65k is 65k and for any amount for that matter. Any info would be appreciated.

Offline byron

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:39 AM »
Hi Novice01
You may want to talk to E-reply or Nemesis in this forum - I would think they will be responding very soon.  In any case, to help you choose the TV you really like, it is best to see them side by side - playing from the same source. 

I did this when I was scouting for a TV in Sights and Sounds (Shangri-La) and it did really help me shortlist the TVs I liked best.

I just got my Pioneer Plasma 508XG last Friday and it took me a lot of thought and consideration.  You are in the best forum to seek for the info you need.  There are other threads here talking about Plasma vs. LCD panels in the main topic "Flat Panels" etc...

Good luck sir!

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 01:17 PM »
Can anyone give their comments about the Hitachi 42A01. It's on sale right now at various appliance stores, it's peg at 65k.

Were are also considering the Samsung 32 inch models. The only reason we are considering the Hitachi, it's because, it's full HD as oppose to the Samsung 32 inch models. Would this particular Hitachi model be susceptible to burn in or any brand of plasma for that matter.

We are also looking at the Samsung 32 inch slim TV, any comments.

And can anyone also pls. explain to me the advantage of having a full HD LCD/Plasma TV. Unfortunately  none of the sales staff that I've asked knows what they are talking about.

Another thing that's bothering me is the input signal coming from players. Let say your player can output 1080p and your LCD/Plasma can only display 768, will it downscale the pic? how will it affect the PQ? same thing for the Samsung 32 slim TV, on the spec sheet it can only display 1080i, how will it look like on a 1080p player?

I've researched a bit and found out that DVDs only has an output of 480...I  forgot if it's i or p. How will it look like on a 768 or 1080 LCD/Plasma TV.

I just want to future proof our purchase, I mean 65k is 65k and for any amount for that matter. Any info would be appreciated.

Hello, we are from Sights and Sounds.

The Hitachi P42A01 is not a full HD TV. The P42A01 has only 1366 X768 pixels, which means that it has only 768 horizontal lines; the 1366 is the number of pixels per horizontal line. A full HD TV requires 1080 resolution lines.  Since the P42A01 can only display 768 lines, it is not a full HD but a HD Ready TV.

A video material of 720 lines is already considered High definition video, though the 1080 content deliver unsurpassed picture detail and progressive-scan smoothness. The 1080 lines provide higher resolution without downconverting and sacrificing picture detail. When a 720 display receives a 1080 signal, it must downconvert it to 720. The resulting picture still looks great, but there's a slight loss in detail.

The 32" Samsung is a HD ready TV.  At present, there is no full HD in the 32" category TV.

For further inquiry, please feel free to visit Sights and Sounds located at 4th level Shangri-La Plaza. You can also write me e-mail [email protected] or call mobile 09175413491.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2008 at 01:19 PM by E-reply »

Offline mrm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 03:37 PM »
Hi, I have just passed my 100th hour burn-in last friday. I notice that after watching movies
in 2.35:1 or above format, i notice image retention from the black bars of the widescreen movie.
it is just soft and goes away after sometime. My question is this, will this ever go away or will we owners
of plasma have to live with it. What will happen if I watch 3 or more movies continiuosly in 2.35:1 or above
format. will the image retention from the black bars be more severe? I just wondering about the
purpose of burn-in test if this problem will not be totally eliminated. Thanks.

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 04:23 PM »
Hi, I have just passed my 100th hour burn-in last friday. I notice that after watching movies
in 2.35:1 or above format, i notice image retention from the black bars of the widescreen movie.
it is just soft and goes away after sometime. My question is this, will this ever go away or will we owners
of plasma have to live with it. What will happen if I watch 3 or more movies continiuosly in 2.35:1 or above
format. will the image retention from the black bars be more severe? I just wondering about the

+1

im about to pass the 100th hour.
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline Novice01

• Apprentice
  • getting there
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 10:09 PM »
Hello, we are from Sights and Sounds.

The Hitachi P42A01 is not a full HD TV. The P42A01 has only 1366 X768 pixels, which means that it has only 768 horizontal lines; the 1366 is the number of pixels per horizontal line. A full HD TV requires 1080 resolution lines.  Since the P42A01 can only display 768 lines, it is not a full HD but a HD Ready TV.

A video material of 720 lines is already considered High definition video, though the 1080 content deliver unsurpassed picture detail and progressive-scan smoothness. The 1080 lines provide higher resolution without downconverting and sacrificing picture detail. When a 720 display receives a 1080 signal, it must downconvert it to 720. The resulting picture still looks great, but there's a slight loss in detail.

The 32" Samsung is a HD ready TV.  At present, there is no full HD in the 32" category TV.

For further inquiry, please feel free to visit Sights and Sounds located at 4th level Shangri-La Plaza. You can also write me e-mail [email protected] or call mobile 09175413491.

Correction on the model, it's the Hitachi P42A01A or It's the same. Based on the website it's full HD.  How about if it recieves a lower signal, does it retain the signal or it upscales it?

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: Mar 18, 2008 at 12:14 PM »
Correction on the model, it's the Hitachi P42A01A or It's the same. Based on the website it's full HD.  How about if it recieves a lower signal, does it retain the signal or it upscales it?

Correction: P42A01A is 1024 X 1080 pixels, but nevertheless is still a hd ready TV (not a Full HD).

Hitachi utilizes the HD1080 high definition display for a perfect vertical line-for-line match with today's High Definition TV standard, resulting in an accurate and detailed picture as oppose to full HD 1920x1080 resolution, which is a pixel-for-pixel match with the majority of HDTV broadcasting and high definition movies, providing the clearest and most accurate picture possible.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: Mar 18, 2008 at 01:48 PM »
That's right.  1024 x 1080 is not Full HD because Full HD requires 1920 x 1080 native resolution.

1024 x 1080 is a weird native resolution.  That means it's 1024 pixels wide and 1080 pixels tall, which should give you a narrow and tall panel with a 0.95:1 ratio.

The reason why the panel itself has a wide 16:9 ratio is because the pixels are rectangular, rather than square.  But you can imagine how difficult it would be to design video processing software that can do a good job of mapping the source resolution to the panel's native resolution.  The farther the source resolution from the panel's native resolution, the more likely the video processing errors.

Why did Hitachi produce a 1024 x1080 plasma panel?

Because of LCD's intense competition with plasma.  LCD's big selling point is higher resolution.  It's extremely difficult to produce smaller pixels on plasma, so they couldn't produce a Full HD 42" plasma at the time.

Hitachi was the first to develop a 1080 line 42" plasma, I think it was in 2006.  It was developed primarily for marketing purposes, with Hitachi proudly introducing the "world's first 42-inch 1080p plasma TV", while conveniently failing to mention that the vertical native resolution was only 1024 instead of 1920.  The obvious objective was to be able to print the spec "1080" on its advertising.   

In short, 1024 x 1080 is old technology.  A 1024 x 768 or 1366 x 768 panel would probably perform better.  The latest 42" models now have a Full HD 1920 x 1080 native resolution.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2008 at 11:28 AM by barrister »

Offline byron

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #341 on: Mar 18, 2008 at 01:51 PM »
I have a query on the proper setting for regular Cable TV viewing... there's the Wide and Full settings which takes up the entire plasma panel, there are also the 4:3 and other kinds of settings like 14:x settings which has grey bars on the side. 

I usually zoom it because my 508XG is very new and I do not want to have that permanent burn-in problem...

please advise should you have tips on this...

many thanks!

Offline mrm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: Mar 19, 2008 at 06:29 AM »

image retention is just light and it goes away when watching other film w/ it. It is not a main problem of plasma it is just the way it is. We are eliminating burn in that is why there is such a thing for brake in period to avoid burns on plasma not image retention. I for one dont believe in burn in period or shall we say "break in period" on plasma monitors nor lcd. Sa amplifier and speakers yes but tv no. As i have posted before these are 10th generation unit and so far since 2005 no plasma has been reported that has a BURN at any display area of department store, game rooms, call centers, movie house and puyat projects we've sold.

Parang a quick flash of light lang yan when its dark tapos tinamaan ka ng liwanag you'll see flashes in your eyes then after a while you'll regain normal sight.

Dont worry too much about it, enjoy your unit sir. ;)

regards,
jeff R. Pe
acoustic authority
www.theaterworksmnl.com

Thanks very much sir. more power

Offline Reymer

• Trade Count: (+144)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: Mar 23, 2008 at 06:15 PM »
Thanks for buying TV from Sights and Sounds.  Congrats, and enjoy your new TV.

Sir, pa-PM naman ng price of Pioneer 508xg. Thanks

Offline tambutsoo

• Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: Mar 23, 2008 at 06:52 PM »

1024 x 1080 lang bro  ive been using this since dec 2007. so far so good

reviews - http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0,39037585,42185426p,00.htm

Offline Grimlock

• Collector
  • No Magic Mr Slinky!
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: May 19, 2008 at 08:18 AM »
My Pioneer 508XG arrived last Saturday and just love it! esp. when calibrated wow!   :o Kudos to S' Vic of Sights and Sounds for the wonderful service. Highly Recommended!!

byron, you are right, this plasma really does rock!  ;)

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: May 19, 2008 at 10:45 AM »
My Pioneer 508XG arrived last Saturday and just love it! esp. when calibrated wow!   :o Kudos to S' Vic of Sights and Sounds for the wonderful service. Highly Recommended!!

byron, you are right, this plasma really does rock!  ;)

Thanks for buying the TV from us. Yes, this TV delivers picture that is head and shoulders above other TVs. Welcome to Pioneer!

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #347 on: May 19, 2008 at 10:59 AM »
What is the current price range of 37" plasmas (Panasonic or other brands)?
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline 2ne

• Collector
  • Archt. Anthony Divino 09178426442
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: May 20, 2008 at 11:01 PM »
just got my new upgrade for my bedroom ht from S&S ;D this pio 428xg just shows class in terms of pq and sq 2 (the built-in amplified speakers has power and its dedicated sub w out->it has punch)!!:D just my two cents

Offline Grimlock

• Collector
  • No Magic Mr Slinky!
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: May 21, 2008 at 08:25 AM »
Hi 2ne congrats on your new Kuro! You won't regret it esp. when watching dvds on your DV600 @ 720p  :)

Offline 2ne

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: May 21, 2008 at 08:47 AM »
Hi 2ne congrats on your new Kuro! You won't regret it esp. when watching dvds on your DV600 @ 720p  :)

i'm loving this kuro! no regrets at all grimlock, namimiss ko nga agad si kuro when im in office..para bang gusto agad umuwi ;Dhehe talaga @ 720p? sinubukan ko same movie (transformers the movie) both on 1080p and 720p cant see d difference...parehong superb pq! :) 720p ba ginagamit mo on standard dvds? thanks kudos to kuros\1 :D

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: May 21, 2008 at 11:16 AM »
i'm loving this kuro! no regrets at all grimlock, namimiss ko nga agad si kuro when im in office..para bang gusto agad umuwi ;Dhehe talaga @ 720p? sinubukan ko same movie (transformers the movie) both on 1080p and 720p cant see d difference...parehong superb pq! :) 720p ba ginagamit mo on standard dvds? thanks kudos to kuros\1 :D

Congrats for owning a Pioneer Plasma TV. Welcome to the world of KURO!

Offline Grimlock

• Collector
  • No Magic Mr Slinky!
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: May 21, 2008 at 11:46 AM »
Good to know another satisfied kuro user. Yes 720p din ang gamit ko sa SD para wala ng maraming conversion. Sent you PM on my settings. Check mo kung magugustuhan mo. Enjoy!

Offline 2ne

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: May 21, 2008 at 04:36 PM »
Good to know another satisfied kuro user. Yes 720p din ang gamit ko sa SD para wala ng maraming conversion. Sent you PM on my settings. Check mo kung magugustuhan mo. Enjoy!

i will bro ;) thanks for sharing :)

Offline Sicamore

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: May 21, 2008 at 06:52 PM »
has anyone done a comparison of pioneer PDP508XG and samsung PS50A450P? i've only started researching recently so i'm not that updated yet but after a couple days of reading it seems that these are currently the two best in the 50" 100-150k price range. the pioneer has been out for awhile and has had good reviews but the samsung is newer and yet cheaper. i will probably check them out in the mall once i get the chance but i thought maybe some experts here might enlighten me beforehand.

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: May 22, 2008 at 12:25 PM »
has anyone done a comparison of pioneer PDP508XG and samsung PS50A450P? i've only started researching recently so i'm not that updated yet but after a couple days of reading it seems that these are currently the two best in the 50" 100-150k price range. the pioneer has been out for awhile and has had good reviews but the samsung is newer and yet cheaper. i will probably check them out in the mall once i get the chance but i thought maybe some experts here might enlighten me beforehand.

At Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangri-La Plaza, both Pioneer PDP508XG and Samsung PS50A450PI are displayed side-by-side for comparison. Between the two, Pioneer 508XG presents better black contrast and richer color than Samsung, though Samsung PS50A450PI is a worthy of consideration if you're on the budget.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008 at 12:37 PM by E-reply »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: May 22, 2008 at 02:35 PM »

Sir E-reply, please tell us about your reviews on the 3D capability of the Samsung plasma!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008 at 03:39 PM by barrister »

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: May 22, 2008 at 04:14 PM »
Sir E-reply, please tell us about your reviews on the 3D capability of the Samsung plasma!  ;)

We haven't tested the 3D feature because of the software and hardware that are still not available to us, the dealers.

However, here are the informations about 3D capability:

According to Samsung website: "3D technology is not only being applied to PC games but beginning to be broadly expanded to film and the web. Demand for 3D capable TV is rapidly increasing, so SAMSUNG has met the challenge with this awesome array of cutting edge technologies.

The roster of DVDs, games and applications that use 3D is growing quickly. You can enjoy 3D web content like GoogleEarth on a big screen, in addition to over 35 previously released 3D DVDs and many more new titles scheduled to be released this year. If your PC is equipped with nVidia graphic card, you can enjoy most of the 3D PC games on the market. Current 3D web content like Google Earth 4 and World of Warcraft are also available with DDD 3D software. With SAMSUNG's new advanced 3D technology, there is an experience waiting for you that is so real you can't imagine it."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008 at 04:15 PM by E-reply »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: May 23, 2008 at 06:29 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  Please tell us about the performance when the equipment become available.   

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: May 24, 2008 at 12:51 PM »
Pinoeer Kuro 9G!  PDP-5020FD (50" plasma) & PDP-6020FD (60" plasma)

Pioneer Bows New 2008 KURO Plasma HDTV Models: PDP-5020FD, PDP-6020FD
By Chris Boylan

At a press event in New York City today, Pioneer announced and displayed the latest entries in their critically acclaimed KURO plasma HDTV line: 50-inch and 60-inch 1080p models which are claimed to produce black levels “5 times deeper” than their predecessors. This would be no mean feat as the current models already set the reference for contrast and black levels in consumer televisions.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/pioneer-kuru-pdp-5020fd-6020fd-1550.shtml

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008 at 01:00 PM by barrister »