Author Topic: Next BD Players Promise More Feaures  (Read 6684 times)

Offline krazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Next BD Players Promise More Feaures
« on: Mar 25, 2007 at 01:07 PM »
This should solve the BD-J/IME problem that's been plaguing BD lately:

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6427147.html?nid=2705

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Next BD Players Promise More Feaures
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2007 at 01:10 PM »
Then October 2007 should have been the right time for them to launch blu ray.  Even for their summer release not to have it is really a disservice to their customers.  IOW, people who have been buying BD since it launched has been shortchanged eversince.  Now they have no choice but to upgrade one year after if they want those features.  Nice strategy.

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2007 at 01:19 PM »
But with the speed of technology these days, that's the risk that any early adopter takes when buying into new technologies.  the first DVD players back in 1996/97 didn't support features like DTS audio and component/HDMI outputs and upscaling that are found in present day players, for example.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2007 at 01:35 PM »
Similarly, my current Toshiba HD player doesn't support DTS HD MA & in time I will have to upgrade if I would want to enjoy the audio track.

Since, no HD-DVD offers DTS HD MA (except a few only), thus for the time being it's more than sufficient for most consumers unlike the standalone BD player's problem.  :P
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2007 at 01:36 PM by pchin »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2007 at 02:22 PM »
But with the speed of technology these days, that's the risk that any early adopter takes when buying into new technologies.  the first DVD players back in 1996/97 didn't support features like DTS audio and component/HDMI outputs and upscaling that are found in present day players, for example.

The situation with DVD in 97/98 was entirely different.  It didn't have another format to compete with.  This time around, you have a format that wants to lord it over, aiming to supplant DVD as the HT video standard, and yet is not even as complete as the other format it is competing with. It expects the market to choose it over the other format that has a better specs at this time. 

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2007 at 03:43 PM »
I don't have a BD player yet... patience... patience... patience... hoping for a more improved BD and hoping this will be it...
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2007 at 05:21 PM »
Oct 2007 will just see the release of new profiles for BD video 1.1.  And it is said in other forums that the new BR disc encoded in 1.1 may have diffculty playing in current BD players supporting 1.0. Oct won't be the end of it. I almost forgot about BD-Live - the ability of the player to have internet connection so you can play the disc at the same time get automatic downloads of updates on the title -  said to be a profile reserved for release 2.0   Good thing Toshiba and the HD DVD camp have not released a title taking advantage of this.  Because this feature is already available in their players today. 

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/12/13/blu-ray-hd-dvd-live-internet-functionality-still-on-hiatus/
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2007 at 05:23 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2007 at 06:35 PM »
Quote: "Manufacturers are confident new player requirements are not cause for consumer alarm. All players, regardless of BD Java and memory functionality, are designed to successfully run a Blu-ray film."

So is that an assurance that 1st gen BD player can still play with the new BD Java implementation? Perhaps tru firmware update? I guess many will defer buying any BD player or PS3 until these issues are resolved.

I almost forgot about BD-Live - the ability of the player to have internet connection so you can play the disc at the same time get automatic downloads of updates on the title -  said to be a profile reserved for release 2.0   Good thing Toshiba and the HD DVD camp have not released a title taking advantage of this.  Because this feature is already available in their players today.

Phew...I'm really glad to hear that.  :D I'd be sad after buying an expensive player only to find out lacking some functionality. Good on ya Toshiba!
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2007 at 06:44 PM by pchin »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2007 at 07:12 PM »
Halk baked talaga ang BD nung ni launch...until now.   But I guess its more of a business decision to get it launched early even without the prominent interactive features.   Imagine if they waited for the BD-J to get fixed, ang around this time lang ni launch, it would have been a very different format war.......

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2007 at 07:20 PM »
I wonder if the PS3 will get these promised new features as a firmware update.

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2007 at 07:13 AM »
Quote: "Manufacturers are confident new player requirements are not cause for consumer alarm. All players, regardless of BD Java and memory functionality, are designed to successfully run a Blu-ray film."

So is that an assurance that 1st gen BD player can still play with the new BD Java implementation? Perhaps tru firmware update? I guess many will defer buying any BD player or PS3 until these issues are resolved.

Phew...I'm really glad to hear that.  :D I'd be sad after buying an expensive player only to find out lacking some functionality. Good on ya Toshiba!

They mean that the movie itself will play on any BD player.  However, the extras like IME would be a different question.  I'm sure they'll be putting a disclaimer on future BD-J discs saying "Special features not available on all players"

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2007 at 08:01 AM »
They mean that the movie itself will play on any BD player.  However, the extras like IME would be a different question.
Kawawa those 1st gen BD owners....surely there will be lots of grumpling  ;D As for PS3 owners, at least it's a relief knowing their machines are capable & only need an update to enable those funtuality  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2007 at 09:15 AM by pchin »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2007 at 08:57 AM »
Kawawa those 1st gen BD owmners....surely there will lots of grumpling  ;D As for PS3 owners, at least it's a relief knowing their machines are capable & only need an update to enable those funtuality  :)

How can they be kawawa?  The fact that they can afford to spend a lot of money for 1st gen machines, I'd say they are certainly much more fortunate than most of us who have to wait until the prices get down significantly.   

Anyway, ganon talaga ang evolution ng consumer electronics.  I spent nearly $650 for my very 1st DVD player which made me very happy initially, but a few year later, realized its limitations (no recordable-DVD playback compatibility, no component video out, slow loading time, non-progressive, massively and heavily built) and had to buy a 2nd player, which fortunately had become very reasonably priced by then.  It sucks but that's how the business really is.

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2007 at 09:23 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2007 at 09:00 AM »
since we're talking about BD-J and HD DVD's iHD...here's a Warner demo of how interactivity is on their HD DVD titles...which isnt yet on Blu-ray discs

Warner Demo

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2007 at 09:28 AM »
How can they be kawawa?  The fact that they can afford to spend a lot of money for 1st gen machines... 
Anyway, ganon talaga ang evolution ng consumer electronics. 

Haha I like your attitude bro...it seems you're a 100% HD-DVD supporter like myself then. ;D

Yes, we know it's the technology evolution that things are changing rapidly. I was just comparing the fact that BD player was launched months (was it 6 months?) after the first HD-DVD player came out in the market, hence the manufacturer should have resolved those issues by then.

BD fans had spent $1,000 on those 1st gen BD players & yet all those functuality features are missing. It's not so bad if their players can be upgraded by firmware in future but to tell them to get new players....hehe...yes, since they could afford $1,000 then shelling out another $1,000 or less shouldn't be any problem after all.. ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2007 at 10:04 AM by pchin »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2007 at 10:20 AM »
Haha I like your attitude bro...it seems you're a HD-DVD supporter then. ;D

Yes, we know it's the technology evolution that things are changing rapidly. I was just comparing the fact that BD player was launched months (was it 6 months?) after the first HD-DVD player came out in the market, hence the manufacturer should have resolved those issues by then.

BD fans had spent $1,000 on those 1st gen BD players & yet all those functuality features are missing. It's not so bad if their players can be upgraded by firmware in future but to tell them to get new players....hehe...yes, since they could afford $1,000 then shelling out another $1,000 or less shouldn't be any problem after all.. ;D

It's not that I support HD DVD but Microsoft is not giving me any choice.  If there were a BD add-on drive to the Xbox360 for $200, I would have purchased one as well. 

If the PS3 were like $300, I would have purchased one already.   

If there were like 5000 BD titles already or HD DVD were dead, I would have purchased the PS3 at its current Tokyo price of Yen46,000.  Honestly, I really don't care which format wins.  By the time that happens, 1080p players would be very affordable anyway, or, newer technologies may have evolved (something capable of 4320p perhaps). 

In an ideal world, the BD camp should have used the "additional" 6 months or so to incorporate the features that we all desire for (including the trivial ones and those we don't even know at all), or at least make it at par with the capabilities of the HD DVD.   I don't really feel it's disservice they've committed so far because they are neither denying anything nor making false claims on the capabilities of the current machines.  BD was simply very (comparatively) late in development for whatever reason, but they must have tried to make the most of the limited time frame before launch.  Obviously, they had to make a launch at that time no matter what.   BD-J, BD-Live, BD-what, Bd-here, BD-there, whatever, those will come soon.  The only thing certain is that there is no going back to DBD...ha ha ha

Tumpak!  If you can spend at least $1,000 on a 1st gen machine, chances are, shelling out money for newer machines wouldn't be much of an issue...Bayaan mo silang gumastos because spending is good for the economy...Masakit lang ng konti sa pride siguro...but launch models, they could be collectible items you know...he he he

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2007 at 10:34 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2007 at 12:27 PM »
BD-J, BD-Live, BD-what, Bd-here, BD-there, whatever, those will come soon.  The only thing certain is that there is no going back to DBD...ha ha ha

;D  ;D

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
Dragon's Lair: first BD-J title with PiP
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2007 at 08:05 PM »
The 80's Laserdisc Arcade classic now remastered in 1080p HD and 5.1 surround:

http://www.digitalleisure.com/contents/Blurayvideo_games.htm

That's also the first BD title with full BD-J functionality and PiP/IME which the new players should be able to take advantage of ;)

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 09:36 AM »
... and what might the second generation PS3 include ?

at least 1 GB memory ?
a Blu-Ray burner ?
250 GB Hard drive ?

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 12:53 PM »
Spiderman 3 in BD is coming soon in November..by then I hope there's an affordable BD player na  ;)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 01:11 PM »
Just like TriStar's Terminator 2 released in HD DVD by Studio Canal, just cross your fingers Studio Canal wil do the same for the Spidey series.  ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 03:33 PM »
The Terminator 2 HD-DVD release has been posponed na...  :'(

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 04:43 PM »
Just like TriStar's Terminator 2 released in HD DVD by Studio Canal, just cross your fingers Studio Canal wil do the same for the Spidey series.  ;D

The Spidey Trilogy will never see the light of day on HD DVD as it is a Sony production unlike T2 which was produced by Studio Canal/Carolco where TriStar was only the theatrical distributor for the US back in 1991.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 07:48 PM »
Very bad news...very bad  :'(