Author Topic: Pioneer DV-600AV-S (1080p upscaling dvd player)  (Read 89493 times)

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pioneer DV-600AV-S (1080p upscaling dvd player)
« Reply #330 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 10:49 AM »
has anyone tried using this player to play a divx file that is HR?  usually, these files are around 700Mb in size for a 30 minute show, as opposed to the more common 350Mb that regular DivX compatible DVD players can play.

Nope , they dont play on the pio 600

Sir MatZ ask ko lang, since u used ur pio's 5.1 analog outputs for ur setup, I presume there is a master vol control on the supplied remote?

I have a philips dvd player with analog 5.1 output. I dont have an AVR yet so Im planning to upgrade to this pio to replace my philips and Im also thinking of using its built in decoder as with my current setup. Pwede rin ba adjust audio out settings ng individual 5.1 analog outputs nito?

Yes, there is a volume control on the remote of the amp (not DVDp) and the amp itself.

You can adjust the settings from your DVD player. I dont get  what you mean exactly by adjusting audio outs. but if you mean adjusting the volume balance of each channel on the amp, yes there is a function that can do that.

Offline jepoi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #331 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:16 PM »
most of the HR DivX files I'm talking about have a resolution of 960x540 and is ripped from a 1080i source with AC3 audio.

Can these be played using this player?

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:21 PM »
i've tested some downloaded anime (Gundam 00) encoded in 1280 x720, and it cannot be played in the Pio 600 (using Samsung r81 32" as display).What particular resolution of divx movies can the pio 600 play/are suppported?

i tried to play the 1280x720 resolution and it says that its not supported but will play anyway but without video....just the audio

Offline antikryst

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 03:03 PM »
get an xbox 360 or a ps3...those play divx hd :)

Offline Miguel^

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 04:19 PM »
i've tested some downloaded anime (Gundam 00) encoded in 1280 x720, and it cannot be played in the Pio 600 (using Samsung r81 32" as display).What particular resolution of divx movies can the pio 600 play/are suppported?

- 1280 X 720 is x264, which is not supported by the pio.
- 1280 X 720 is divx, but the pio only supports standard resolutions and then upscales if warranted. 

i tried to play the 1280x720 resolution and it says that its not supported but will play anyway but without video....just the audio
Audio is probably mp3 so thats why it plays even though video is not supported.

get an xbox 360 or a ps3...those play divx hd :)
and/or HTPC swabeng swabe!

Offline HouseBum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 06:30 PM »
AFAIK any 720p avi file encoded using x264 (open source H264 using mkv format, torrent title will usually have x264 on its line) won't play on current DivX players as they are using the H264 or MPEG-4 Part 10 codec. H264 isn't something DivX can handle as of yet.
However, last Nov16, Divx purchased MainConcept, a german company specializing on H264 to enable DivX to handle H264 in the future.
So for now HD HTPC's and those expensive standalone like the DviCo M4100SH.

Is the black Pio 600 locally available from the usual electronics shops like Abenson's, Western, etc? I'm looking to purchase one on Monday

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 12:27 PM »
depende some of them order pa. to be sure just go to the shangrila shops or to the ambassador branches.

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #337 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 09:36 PM »

Sir Marl_1! I have a question here from my nephew, who recently bought a Pio600 last Sunday. His concern is:

Last sunday I bought the DV 600 in sights and sounds! But guess what... when you use the HDMI cable pala, you cannot watch in dolby digital 5.1! it is only 2 way stereo! was kinda disappointed... so now in order to watch in dolby, i have to use the component cable connection. if i want to use HDMI, i have to turn off my amp! have you had any experience of the sort? or heard of this?

Can you enlighten me on this or does anyone have knowledge on this? :-\

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #338 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 11:32 PM »
@ stickfighter

Just want to share my insight... if you will not connect your HDMI to a receiver capable of dolby digital 5.1, you cannot enjoy said sound because tv just have at least left and right speakers... therefore 2 way stereo will be the acceptable setting... on the other hand, you may improve it by setting the virtual surround.

In my case, i connected pio600 to tv via HDMI and to a receiver capable of dolby digital and dts via coax.... ayos na ayos! di casi HDMI capable yung receiver ko....

mga bossing, tama po ba? hope this help...

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: Jan 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM »
^ yup tama ka bro! thats my setup din. dv600--->HDMI-->tv then dv600-->optical cable-->avr

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: Jan 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM »
^ yup tama ka bro! thats my setup din. dv600--->HDMI-->tv then dv600-->optical cable-->avr

We're almost the same: dv600--->HDMI-->tv then dv600-->COAX CABLE-->avr. I opted for coax, mas makapal ang tunog, hehehe! (Subjective, just me)
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #341 on: Jan 18, 2008 at 12:33 PM »
^ hehe cge bro try ko din minsan if may mapansin ako tnx!

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #342 on: Jan 18, 2008 at 12:37 PM »
 ;D sali ako! same connection used.

lcd ==> hdmi ==> dv600 ==> optical cable ==> avr = pwede na sa DTS  ;D
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: Jan 18, 2008 at 06:56 PM »
Friendly advice lang, unless you have so much spare moolah & fully HD ka na, dont lust for those HDMI receivers that much.

I got one & only difference was less cable clutter. :-\

My component upconvert capable GIEC DVDp (no HDMI) was still better pa rin than HDMI.

;D sali ako! same connection used.

lcd ==> hdmi ==> dv600 ==> optical cable ==> avr = pwede na sa DTS  ;D

LCD==>HDMI===> DV600==>6 analog cables from DV600's 5.1 out===> prototype Bada 5 channel integrated power amp w/ torroidal PSU.

DTS, DD SACD, DVD-a capable! excellent room filling power!

Again, DV-600's 5.1 outs are not bad!!!

We're almost the same: dv600--->HDMI-->tv then dv600-->COAX CABLE-->avr. I opted for coax, mas makapal ang tunog, hehehe! (Subjective, just me)

Agree ako dyan!

subjective!din

Baka hingian tayo ng scientific proof at charts!  :D
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2008 at 07:02 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #344 on: Jan 18, 2008 at 09:43 PM »
To eksi, kt, fnvillafuerte, juric and Matzter...thanks for your inputs. I forwarded your replies to my nephew and he tried what you mentioned. Here is what transpired:

"thanks for the help. i tried what the guys said in your email... I connected via coax and still only get 2 channels.

actually my work around is the following...

my dv600 is now connected to the TV via ypbpr cable. this way i can use the dolby 5.1 audio outs into my receiver. then, I have to manually plug the HDMI cable to the DVD to enjoy the 1080i picture. key here is not to have HDMI cable plugged to the dvd when I turn it on so that the player thinks im still on ypbpr mode. If the HDMI cable is plugged, only 2 channel dolby will be transmitted to the receiver. (i read the manual.. dang!) i just hope that the dv600 wont break because of me using 2 outputs at the same time.

anyway, maybe i should get a HDMI capable receiver! hahaha!!! that will be the day..."

What do you guys think? :-\
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2008 at 09:51 PM by stickfighter »

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 12:01 AM »

Agree ako dyan!

subjective!din

Baka hingian tayo ng scientific proof at charts!  :D

make that 3. i use a coax from dv600 to avr.. which saddens me since the ps3 only has optical and no coaxial. kinda forces you to buy an hdmi receiver... sorry ot.

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #346 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 04:36 AM »
make that 3. i use a coax from dv600 to avr.. which saddens me since the ps3 only has optical and no coaxial. kinda forces you to buy an hdmi receiver... sorry ot.

though im already satisfied with my optical cable. this makes me so curious, i have to try this!
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline doughn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #347 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 01:36 PM »
how much today dv600?

7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 04:56 PM »
6200 to 6400.

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #349 on: Jan 20, 2008 at 12:46 PM »
Which is better ba?

TV --> HDMI --> DVD player (Digital out) --> AVR (Digital In)

TV --> HDMI --> DVD player (6-channel audio out) --> AVR (6-channel direct In)

DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: Jan 21, 2008 at 11:11 AM »
kaya po ma mag-upscale ng dv600 to 720p/1080i via component? o striclty thru hdmi dapat?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: Jan 21, 2008 at 11:28 AM »
HDMI only bro

Which is better ba?

TV --> HDMI --> DVD player (Digital out) --> AVR (Digital In)

TV --> HDMI --> DVD player (6-channel audio out) --> AVR (6-channel direct In)

In most cases, option 1 of course. Specially if you want the calibrations (YPAO, Audysey) to work. And to use the DSP's of your receiver.

Option 2 is better if your AVR is not capable of decoding a surround format, like prologic receivers. The receiver acts as a mere amplifier with volume control. something nice to do if you found a flagship prologic receiver in an attic. Decoding will depend in your DVDp.
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2008 at 11:29 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: Jan 21, 2008 at 02:06 PM »
though im already satisfied with my optical cable. this makes me so curious, i have to try this!

naku ako din dati pa curious dyan!  hehe matry nga din!  ;D

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 01:32 AM »
tagal ko nang di nakasali sa dv600 via coax to avr discussion ah...

question lang mga sir... with the current set-up above sobrang gandang ganda ako sa sound if i'm playing dvd movies, dvd concerts and dvd music videos (with dolby digital or dts)... but if i play audio cd parang iba ang quality (seems kulang sa base... mas mahina ang LFE sound compared to dvd play... although same set-up naman while playing dvd), although hindi na dolby digital or dts ang nadedetect na source ng avr... its stereo instead... i tried switching to 7 channel stereo, pero hindi parin lumakas yung base... lumakas lang yung volume kasi pati sa surround may music na akong naririnig...

heto tuloy speculations ko...
1. normal audio cd kasi pineplay ko.... mas okay siguro ang pio600 in playing SAcd
2. need to switch to analog while playing cd... kasi using normal audio cd sa aiwa audio component namin maganda naman ang sound (with very good LFE sound).
3. sobrang maganda talaga ang dvd so hindi ko dapat i-compare ang sound to normal audio cd... pero may hesitation ako dito kasi gaya nga ng namention ko sa number 2, using cd player audio component comparable na ang sound ng normal cd to dvd playing in pio600.

fellow dv600 users... hope you could give your comments on this...

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #354 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 01:57 AM »
6200 to 6400.

Sensya na po - quick 'hirit' lang mga mods while B&S is out.  If anybody's interested to acquire a 600AV, am willing to part with mine for P5k only if anybody's interested (mint condition - only 3 months used). 

Please just reply via PM only (and not within this thread).  Many thanks, back to your regular programming.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2008 at 02:00 AM by Marl_1 »

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #355 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 06:31 PM »
kaya po ma mag-upscale ng dv600 to 720p/1080i via component? o striclty thru hdmi dapat?
if only i have the cables, I would try this :)
HDMI OUT-->HDMI  TO DVI CONNECTOR----->DVI TO COMPONENT CONNECTOR
Would this work? ???

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #356 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 11:14 PM »
if only i have the cables, I would try this :)
HDMI OUT-->HDMI  TO DVI CONNECTOR----->DVI TO COMPONENT CONNECTOR
Would this work? ???

Looks plausible...;D  Sounds 'lossy' though.  With the number of interconnects, one would eventually worry about signal degradation.
Why not go direct - HDMI OUT to COMPONENT IN. 

Well, on hindsight, it still wouldn't solve the "upscaling via HDMI only" parameter of the DV600 would it? :-\  Get an HDMI panel na lang!  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2008 at 06:02 PM by Marl_1 »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 07:55 AM »
Up ko lang po....

question lang mga sir... with the current set-up above sobrang gandang ganda ako sa sound if i'm playing dvd movies, dvd concerts and dvd music videos (with dolby digital or dts)... but if i play audio cd parang iba ang quality (seems kulang sa base... mas mahina ang LFE sound compared to dvd play... although same set-up naman while playing dvd), although hindi na dolby digital or dts ang nadedetect na source ng avr... its stereo instead... i tried switching to 7 channel stereo, pero hindi parin lumakas yung base... lumakas lang yung volume kasi pati sa surround may music na akong naririnig...

1. normal audio cd kasi pineplay ko.... mas okay siguro ang pio600 in playing SAcd
2. need to switch to analog while playing cd... kasi using normal audio cd sa aiwa audio component namin maganda naman ang sound (with very good LFE sound).
3. sobrang maganda talaga ang dvd so hindi ko dapat i-compare ang sound to normal audio cd... pero may hesitation ako dito kasi gaya nga ng namention ko sa number 2, using cd player audio component comparable na ang sound ng normal cd to dvd playing in pio600.

Offline Grimlock

• Collector
  • No Magic Mr Slinky!
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 08:13 AM »
Hi eksi, I'm using ordinary audio CDs (orig, copied and pirated) in my dv600 and I do not experience weak bass. I connect my player to AVR via digital coax cable.

Up ko lang po....

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 11:43 AM »
Hi Grimlock, may i know what's the setting you use when you play CDs (such as surround, DSP setting etc.)