Author Topic: Panasonic 42pv70H Rocks!!!  (Read 180460 times)

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Panasonic 42pv70H Rocks!!!
« Reply #840 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 12:12 AM »
thanks to S&S, just had my set calibrated. laki ng difference sa color clarity.

but placing the panny side by side with my old 32" sony xbr and watching skycable,
i notice that the skin tones of the panny are yellowish, while the blue of the night is aqua green.
panalo ang old set ko dito in terms of color.

haven't test it though using dvd's.

When you do Spyder color calibration, only the input/source where the Spyder DVD is run is calibrated.  You have to write down the new calibrated settings and apply them to your other TV sources (i.e., HDMI1, HDMI2, TV, etc.).  Also, Spyder calibration software seems to prefer the "WARM" color temperature setting.  As was suggested by the other PDVD members, switch the color temperature to "COOL" to get rid of the yellowish hue...

Offline mrm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #841 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 09:45 PM »
hi,
            Finally made my purchase of pana 42pv70 this morning at theather works. I just wanted to commend
it's staff for their friendly and quality service they give their clients. Kudos to sir Jeff and more power.

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2008 at 07:13 AM by mrm »

Offline bhongskie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #842 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 04:48 PM »
Had my panny calibrated by S&S and i can say there is substantial improvement in PQ. 

I learned from the tech that the calibration is good for the current source (player) and environment.  This then means that if I change my source I need the tv to be calibrated again.  Plan ko pa naman change player ko.

Sir Vic free pa din naman yung re-calibration di ba?   ;D ;D

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #843 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 11:02 PM »
hi,
            Finally made my purchase of pana 42pv70 this morning at theather works. I just wanted to commend
it's staff for their friendly and quality service they give their clients. Kudos to sir Jeff and more power.

Lots of  thanks sir! ;D

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #844 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 11:12 AM »
Had my panny calibrated by S&S and i can say there is substantial improvement in PQ. 

I learned from the tech that the calibration is good for the current source (player) and environment.  This then means that if I change my source I need the tv to be calibrated again.  Plan ko pa naman change player ko.

Sir Vic free pa din naman yung re-calibration di ba?   ;D ;D

No problem. We can still provide you another calibration.

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #845 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 05:54 AM »
finally "auditioned" a 42pv70, mas natural ang color tone nya compared to the sony 40v300. unfortunately, i can see myself (screen reflections) while watching a movie ;D. it act like a mirror during dark scenes :( even with the store's low lighting environment -- sayang >:(. now, i'm aiming for an LCD nalang, esep-esep na naman.
« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2008 at 05:56 AM by GneW »

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #846 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 07:56 AM »
finally "auditioned" a 42pv70, mas natural ang color tone nya compared to the sony 40v300. unfortunately, i can see myself (screen reflections) while watching a movie ;D. it act like a mirror during dark scenes :( even with the store's low lighting environment -- sayang >:(. now, i'm aiming for an LCD nalang, esep-esep na naman.

The reflecting screen of the plasma was the main turn off for me when I decided to purchase flat screens. This is the reason I selected LCD's. I know there are new plasma panels that are supposed to be non-reflective already, but I havent seen one that approximates the LCD screen.

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #847 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 09:12 AM »
Never gave this a thought but that's because it's a none issue with Pioneer's latest plasma models. My 428's screen doesn't reflect a thing.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline trackers888

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • PDVD Proud Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #848 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 10:02 PM »
Guys please help, my TV reach 100hours na.
If you guys calibrated your 42PV na using spyder, baka pwede nyo share ang setting so I can apply it to my unit?
My TV is in western Visayas and parang sayang naman kung buy pa ako Spyder just to calibrate it.
Just want to tweak it by my self muna baka mag improve pa.  ;D

Welcome din po para sa ibang advice.

Maraming salamat in advance.
7 Transistor AM Radio

Offline chris69ners

• Collector
  • "If u shake it more than twice, ur playin with it"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #849 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 10:34 AM »
The reflecting screen of the plasma was the main turn off for me when I decided to purchase flat screens. This is the reason I selected LCD's. I know there are new plasma panels that are supposed to be non-reflective already, but I havent seen one that approximates the LCD screen.

The poor viewing angles, easily damaged screens, bad picture quality when watching dvds and cable channels, eye straining brightness, blurring motion on fast scenes and poor contrast ratios of LCDs were all the turn offs for me when I decided to buy a flatscreen. This is the reason I purchased the 42pv70. Compared to lcd with all its negatives, the superb picture quality of my plasma outweighs the reflection problem it has. I just turn off the lights or use pin lights when watching movies. I have yet to see an LCD that can match the picture quality of a plasma when watching HD discs, dvds and tv programs.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2008 at 09:05 PM by chris69ners »
7.2 / Wharfe9 / HK245 / Sony 65X7500D / Philips5986 / Sony RackSys / DQ12x2 / Xtreamer Elvira

Offline otepsy

• Collector
  • quality over quantity...
  • Liked:
« Reply #850 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 11:09 AM »
The poor viewing angles, easily damaged screens, bad picture quality when watching dvds and cable channels, eye straining brightness, blurring motion on fast scenes and poor contrast ratios were all the turn offs for me when I decided to buy a flatscreen. This is the reason I purchased the 42pv70. Compared to lcd with all its negatives, the superb picture quality of my plasma outweighs the reflection problem it has. I just turn off the lights or use pin lights when watching movies. I havent seen a an LCD that can match the picture quality of a plasma when watching HD discs, dvds and tv programs.

very well said...
i'm very satisfied with the pq of 42pv70 the standard dvd looks like hd (lalo na when we watch  p***ted dvd Dragon wars the pq was awesome napa wow kami sa sobrang kinis looks like were watching HD na) and the divx movies looks like sdvd, this tv has a very good internal upscaler especially when you pair it with pioneer dv600...

Offline boglers

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #851 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 11:34 AM »
very well said...
i'm very satisfied with the pq of 42pv70 the standard dvd looks like hd (lalo na when we watch  p***ted dvd Dragon wars the pq was awesome napa wow kami sa sobrang kinis looks like were watching HD na) and the divx movies looks like sdvd, this tv has a very good internal upscaler especially when you pair it with pioneer dv600...

same set up as mine.... very satisfied :)
Panasonic 42PV70H
ONKYO-505
Pio-DV600
Wharfs 9.1/DFS/CS
US A

Offline arcam

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #852 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 02:41 PM »
hindi ba ma-"reflect" itong panasonic 42pv70?
baka nakakainis manood ng dark movie kapag daytime.

Offline athos45

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #853 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 03:15 PM »

super duper satisfied also, if youre not right behind a window you wouldnt have much problems. Its not a convex shaped screen naman like old CRTs which reflect all the light in the room. I recommend the PV70 be 2 feet or less from the ground para may downward viewing angle ka like what my eye doctor said. Less strain from the eyes.

I first bought a n LCD because when i saw the PQ in the malls, i was astonished. But as i continued to watch on it, i noticed some mild headaches from prolonged viewing, due to eye strain.

Offline chris69ners

• Collector
  • "If u shake it more than twice, ur playin with it"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #854 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 05:34 PM »

For me mas nakakainis pag ang pangit ng picture ng pinapanood ko! Isnt it still obvious that this thread wouldnt be this long if all of us who purchased this tv complained and suffered from the mild reflections we see while watching on this plasma? PICTURE QUALITY NGA ANG HABOL NAMIN EH! Just go and buy yourself an LCD. End of story.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2008 at 09:00 PM by chris69ners »
7.2 / Wharfe9 / HK245 / Sony 65X7500D / Philips5986 / Sony RackSys / DQ12x2 / Xtreamer Elvira

Offline mrm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #855 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 05:43 PM »
hi to all,  Do anyone here in pinoydvd know how to access the service menu of this specific plasma model. Care to share it?
Thanks.

Offline wilsonuy

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #856 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 08:50 PM »
Sir vIC

Dumating na ba yun stock mo of bandridge cable,,,,

thanks

Offline arcam

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #857 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 12:18 AM »
For me mas nakakainis pag ang pangit ng picture ng pinapanood ko! Isnt it still obvious that this thread wouldnt be this long if all of us who purchased this tv complained and suffered from the mild reflections we see while watching on this plasma? PICTURE QUALITY NGA ANG HABOL NAMIN EH! Just go and buy yourself an LCD. End of story.

if one of this forum's aims is to help a/v enthusiasts, dapat di ka nalang sumagot if you're going to answer like that.
if this forum's aim is to bash people with legitimate questions, then ok na ok ang sagot mo.  keep it up. 

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #858 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 05:46 AM »

Sir, I suggest you invest nalang in curtains or blinds and buy the PV70 rather than go for LCD.  We have windows with blinds when watching during the day but no problems.  At the start I noticed some slight reflections (if you really want to notice it) as compared to my previous LCD TV but in repetitive watching, you'll get used to it and won't mind it at all.   You are watching the video content anyway rather than watching who's outside your window.  ;D

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #859 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 09:55 AM »

Compared to LCD, talagang mas reflective ang 42PV70, so nakakainis nga manood ng dark movie sa daytime.

There's the dilemma: Sa LCD, no reflections; better picture quality in a bright room; but worse picture quality in a dark room.   Sa plasma, more reflections; worse picture quality in a bright room; but better picture quality in a dark room.

I can't immediately recommend a plasma kasi depende talaga sa user yan.  Yung iba, OK naman sa kanila ang picture quality ng LCD.  When using Blu-ray sources, LCD and plasma picture are very close. 

If you're serious about home theater, mas maganda siyempre manood sa dilim.  It's easier to concentrate on the movie and lose yourself in the story kung walang distractions sa paligid. 

Try watching a horror movie in complete darkness.  Mas absorbing ang viewing experience.  In a dark room, mas maitim ang black levels kung plasma TV; mas maputla ang black levels kung LCD TV.           

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2008 at 02:26 PM by barrister »

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #860 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 11:39 AM »
Sir vIC

Dumating na ba yun stock mo of bandridge cable,,,,

thanks

The company hasn't delivered yet our order of Bandridge products.  Will call you up for update tomorrow. Thanks for reminding.

Offline arcam

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #861 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 12:03 PM »
thanks to athos, nerveblocker and barrister for your helpful comments.
you all know that im shopping for a tv.  the reason why i asked the "reflect" question was because you cant "home audition" a plasma tv and not to bash the panasonic plasma.
i cannot really tell for sure how the "reflect" thing play out in my room.
your comments go a long way in helping me decide which tv to buy, which is why i came to this forum in the first place.

Offline ledrahc

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Rock and Roll!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #862 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 01:57 PM »
nice point sir nerveblocker. You can buy curtains or blinds to darken your room and avoid reflection, but walang item that will resolve both the quality of picture ng darker scene and viewing angle problem ng LCD.   ;D

Sir, I suggest you invest nalang in curtains or blinds and buy the PV70 rather than go for LCD.  We have windows with blinds when watching during the day but no problems.  At the start I noticed some slight reflections (if you really want to notice it) as compared to my previous LCD TV but in repetitive watching, you'll get used to it and won't mind it at all.   You are watching the video content anyway rather than watching who's outside your window.  ;D

Offline titopepe

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #863 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 02:09 PM »
na-audition ko yung 42pv70 s theaterworks, much better for me compared to sony 40V.
ano yung reflection thingy? dark room kasi sa theaterworks, pero mas nabilib ako sa plasma...
call me tito... tito pepe!

Offline arcam

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #864 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 02:36 PM »
na-audition ko yung 42pv70 s theaterworks, much better for me compared to sony 40V.
ano yung reflection thingy? dark room kasi sa theaterworks, pero mas nabilib ako sa plasma...

titopepe,

if you have something bright in front of the plasma screen, mas makikita mo yung reflection nya on the plasma
screen as compared to sa lcd screen.  for me, this is the only remaining "uncertainty" left before i go for a plasma.
but since im going to use the tv mostly for cable viewing and dvd, the picture quality of the lcd is not good
enough for my purpose. 

did u see the 65" plasma with a 1080p feed? ang ganda no?  gusto ko nang matulog doon sa showroom

ledrahc,
you are correct.  it becomes more obvious once you play ordinary dvd's (na hindi animation) on the lcd tv.  hindi talaga acceptable.

Offline edubaret

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #865 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 04:25 PM »
ano mga settings nyo sa plasma?  pwede po ba malaman?

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #866 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 11:57 PM »
if you have something bright in front of the plasma screen, mas makikita mo yung reflection nya on the plasma
screen as compared to sa lcd screen.  for me, this is the only remaining "uncertainty" left before i go for a plasma.
but since im going to use the tv mostly for cable viewing and dvd, the picture quality of the lcd is not good
enough for my purpose. 

On a side note, I'm wondering why new laptop LCD monitors are usually glossy these days.  Akala ko yung non-reflective matte finish ang selling point ng LCD? 

When I was shopping for a laptop in V-mall Greenhills, I shortlisted the Acer with Crystalbrite screen and the HP Compaq with Brightview screen, then finally decided on the HP. 

The picture on a laptop's glossy LCD monitor is just amazing.  Way, way better than the old matte screens.  Ang lumalabas ngayon, pati pala LCD mas maganda ang picture kung gloss ang screen.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2008 at 12:33 AM by barrister »

Offline Archie

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #867 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 12:32 AM »

Mas masarap sa eyes watching movies with the panny 42pv70 kaysa samsung 226bw/2232gw monitor.

I think my next step is the ax100 or ax200. how would you compare the plasma against projector?
maybe in terms of PQ / eyestrain / lamp life.

Thanks

Offline athos45

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #868 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 01:02 AM »
thanks to athos, nerveblocker and barrister for your helpful comments.
you all know that im shopping for a tv.  the reason why i asked the "reflect" question was because you cant "home audition" a plasma tv and not to bash the panasonic plasma.
i cannot really tell for sure how the "reflect" thing play out in my room.
your comments go a long way in helping me decide which tv to buy, which is why i came to this forum in the first place.

hi, i think alot of us guys here came from owning an lcd tapos nagswitch sa plasma.

just a tip, ask the people who are selling in HT stores which they prefer, and make a poll, chances are its on 80/20% ratio,
 :)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #869 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 07:27 AM »

I think my next step is the ax100 or ax200. how would you compare the plasma against projector?
maybe in terms of PQ / eyestrain / lamp life.

When you talk about PQ, definitely the plasma's smaller screen would display a tad  better quality than the PJ bigger projected image. Although nothing beats the bigscreen pj experience which is the closest thing to a theater. If you would only use the pj for movie watching on the average, the lamp life would give you a good 4-5 years before you change into a new lamp.

The PQ of a standard DVD in a plasma would probably be comparable to the PQ of Bluray in your projector.

Eyestrain can be subjective and could be dependent on viewing distance, display settings and ambient lighting.  Try watching a movie in a theater on the front row as compared to watching at the back end.  On a plasma try watching tv in dynamic settings in a dark room for 2-3 hours as compared to watching with the same settings in your living room during the day. We cannot conclude that this brand or model of tv/pj would cause more eyestrain than the other coz there are a lot of factors that can affect this result as I have pointed out. That is also why we have this forum to get the best out of our AV gears.

I have both setups and you can audition it in my house if it will help you on your decision. Just pm me.

Ciao!
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2008 at 07:41 AM by nerveblocker »